SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

New GM New Coach

Team: 2020-21 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2020
Published: Jul. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What do you guys think about the new news for the team? I like it personally, I'm just happy we finally have a definite answer on who is filling what role now the team can focus on its roster more primarily. Whats your thoughts on what's going to happen?

- Does Walsh get signed to an ELC because likely no college hockey this year?
- Palmieri Extension?
- Gusev Extension?
- RFA's get taken care of?

For those extensions how much do you guys think these guys are gonna get? Just curious and want to see what devils fans think about the news and also what other moves are on the horizon. LGD!!!
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$81,500,000$40,344,430$0$3,350,000$41,155,570
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,822,764$2,822,764
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2020 at 9:51 a.m.
I love Sharangovich
I believe Walsh does get signed.
Palmieri gets a 6 year extension around 6 mil a season give to take a little
I think they wait for Gusev extension
I believe bridge deals is likely for Bratt an d Blackwood but wouldn't be surprised if a long term contract is given to one of the two either.
Book_Hockey liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: JasonM819
I believe Walsh does get signed.
Palmieri gets a 6 year extension around 6 mil a season give to take a little
I think they wait for Gusev extension
I believe bridge deals is likely for Bratt an d Blackwood but wouldn't be surprised if a long term contract is given to one of the two either.

I hope you're right about Walsh, typically when a player returns for his senior year, he has little appetite to play for the team that drafted him.

Palmieri has to be re-signed IMO. We cannot expect Hischier and Hughes to flourish without some what competant wingers. Palms game will age well, so I think a 5-6 year deal at 6.5 million is fine. The Kreider contract would be a good comparable.

I don't think Gusev wants to stay in NJ- I could see him being shipped at the deadline for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. If he picks up where he left off from December to the end of the season, a first is not out of the questions.

Bratt and Blackwood likely get bridge deals. I forget how young Bratt is sometimes, he has the look of a 20-25 goal scorer for years to come, especially as he gets stronger.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:22 a.m.
I think Walsh is gone, would be a nice value piece to maybe package in a trade.

Palmieri should be traded imo, he'll fetch a nice return of some future assets and he doesn't fit our contention window.

I would give Gusev 6 years x 6M

Bridge deals for both Blackwood and Bratt, both have shown flashes of greatness but not enough to warrant a long term deal.
iforgotmyname liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: Book_Hockey
I don't think Gusev wants to stay in NJ- I could see him being shipped at the deadline for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. If he picks up where he left off from December to the end of the season, a first is not out of the questions.

If the Devils traded Gusev for a goddamn 2nd round pick I would lose my mind. He's arguably the 2nd most skilled player this team has seen since Kovalchuk.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: zyyyp
If the Devils traded Gusev for a goddamn 2nd round pick I would lose my mind. He's arguably the 2nd most skilled player this team has seen since Kovalchuk.

Lol i couldn't tell you were a big fan based on your prof pic. Nobody doubts his skill, but he's a defensive liability with questionable skating. I hope he can get around 60/65 pts next year but that may be a stretch depending on who Ruff puts him with.

Palms would fetch a nice return but at some point we need to focus on surrounding our young guys with talent, not just more young pieces. He's, in my opinion, worthy of being the next captain and getting a 6-7 year deal.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
Lol i couldn't tell you were a big fan based on your prof pic. Nobody doubts his skill, but he's a defensive liability with questionable skating. I hope he can get around 60/65 pts next year but that may be a stretch depending on who Ruff puts him with.

He was actually fine defensively after the first few months, his skating I couldn't care less about. Plenty of great NHLers over the years that weren't great skaters. He was on pace for close to 60 this year despite awful coaching and it being his first year in NA, he could be close to a point per game player if put in the right situations imo.

Palms would fetch a nice return but at some point we need to focus on surrounding our young guys with talent, not just more young pieces. He's, in my opinion, worthy of being the next captain and getting a 6-7 year deal.

So you want to surround the young guys with talent, but also trade the most skilled forward on the roster who's 27 years of age for a 2nd round pick? Lol, which is it? 6-7 years is way too much term for Palmieri, you know he'll be 30 at the start of next season right? If you're wanting to give him that kind of term at 6-7M aav like you stated earlier, that would turn into one of the worst contracts in the league pretty quickly. He plays a rugged style, I would bet he's going to start seriously dropping off in 3-4 years. What makes you think he's worthy of being the captain of this team? the fact that he's from New Jersey and throws a few hits every now and again? They should just roll with multiple A's until Nico is ready for the C in a year or two.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
Palmieri has to be re-signed IMO. We cannot expect Hischier and Hughes to flourish without some what competant wingers. Palms game will age well, so I think a 5-6 year deal at 6.5 million is fine. The Kreider contract would be a good comparable.

Gusev's game is based on his stickhandling, his vision and his high hockey IQ (traits that age very well) while Palmieri's game is based on his speed and the physical element he brings to the game. He'll still have his very good shot but he'll probably have trouble to get into the areas to use it. Out of the two it's definitely Gusev who's going to age "better".

They should just roll with multiple A's until Nico is ready for the C in a year or two.

That is 100% what the Devils should do.
zyyyp and iforgotmyname liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
He was actually fine defensively after the first few months, his skating I couldn't care less about. Plenty of great NHLers over the years that weren't great skaters. He was on pace for close to 60 this year despite awful coaching and it being his first year in NA, he could be close to a point per game player if put in the right situations imo.

So you want to surround the young guys with talent, but also trade the most skilled forward on the roster who's 27 years of age for a 2nd round pick? Lol, which is it? 6-7 years is way too much term for Palmieri, you know he'll be 30 at the start of next season right? If you're wanting to give him that kind of term at 6-7M aav like you stated earlier, that would turn into one of the worst contracts in the league pretty quickly. He plays a rugged style, I would bet he's going to start seriously dropping off in 3-4 years. What makes you think he's worthy of being the captain of this team? the fact that he's from New Jersey and throws a few hits every now and again? They should just roll with multiple A's until Nico is ready for the C in a year or two.

You are, by far, the most insufferable Devils fan on this site. And that's saying something, because as a whole, we're a pretty tough fan base (all 10 of us) to deal with.

Now to answer your question, almighty Devils fan, no, i'd like Palms to be the next captain because he's been around for a few years and is looked at as a leader in the locker room. Pretty simple. We must not be watching the same team, because he's the only guy who gives a consistent effort on a nightly basis. He's well worth a Kreider like contract because his game will translate well into his low-mid 30's. He doesnt really play a rugged style- he can throw a hit every now and again, but hes a sniper and extremely solid defensively, as evidenced by his underlying stats and multiple 25-30 goal campaigns.

I would rather not commit 6-7 million a season to Gusev because, as I said earlier, his skating and defense is extremely questionable. So much so that despite being extremely talented, he had to play with two defensive minded players so that he didnt stick out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but if the right offer came around next season, I would not hesitate to trade him. Especially since he does not like living in NJ.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:59 a.m.
Especially since he does not like living in NJ.

So have you talked to him or is that just your opinion based on the like 0 interviews he gave last season?
zyyyp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
You are, by far, the most insufferable Devils fan on this site. And that's saying something, because as a whole, we're a pretty tough fan base (all 10 of us) to deal with.

Now to answer your question, almighty Devils fan, no, i'd like Palms to be the next captain because he's been around for a few years and is looked at as a leader in the locker room. Pretty simple. We must not be watching the same team, because he's the only guy who gives a consistent effort on a nightly basis. He's well worth a Kreider like contract because his game will translate well into his low-mid 30's. He doesnt really play a rugged style- he can throw a hit every now and again, but hes a sniper and extremely solid defensively, as evidenced by his underlying stats and multiple 25-30 goal campaigns.

I would rather not commit 6-7 million a season to Gusev because, as I said earlier, his skating and defense is extremely questionable. So much so that despite being extremely talented, he had to play with two defensive minded players so that he didnt stick out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but if the right offer came around next season, I would not hesitate to trade him. Especially since he does not like living in NJ.

Lol, I'm the most insufferable fan on the site because you don't agree with my opinions? Jesus you are soft. People can disagree on things and share their opinions, that's the whole point of CF. I don't like getting into it with Devils fans on here because like you said there's not many of us, why can't we all be on the same page here?

As for Palmieri, plenty of guys have "been around for a few years" doesn't really add much to your argument, and none of us have any idea who is looked at as a leader in the locker room. He gives an effort more than most (not saying a whole lot) but he was totally invisible at times last year, I also didn't like his attitude. It was apparent that he wanted the puck all the time and never dished when given the opportunity, it's almost as if when Hall got moved he thought he was the top dog and wanted everything to run through him. I'm fine with keeping him around on a shorter deal (3 years x 5M) to play a depth role but anything more than that I wouldn't feel good about. I don't dislike Palmieri but I find Devils fans massively overvalue him (as they do a lot of players) and it's extremely annoying. The team is moving in a new direction with Nico and Hughes leading the charge, I think it makes most sense to do multiple A's until Nico is ready like I said.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Gusev then, I think he's a fantastic player. He's not great defensively but when you have that good of an offensive toolset you don't have to be. I would consider an offer of a mid 1st and an A+ prospect but anything less than that would be a no go for me. He could easily be a 70 point guy on this team and point scoring wingers is something we have lacked for a long time. I'm curious as to how you would know that he doesn't like living in NJ?
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: sh51_aa
So have you talked to him or is that just your opinion based on the like 0 interviews he gave last season?

No that is based on the information I have received from people in and around the organization, specifically alumni.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:55 p.m.
I think Walsh gets offered an ELC - up in the air as to whether he takes it. I don't know what the rumor mill is putting out on him and why he would want to leave (other than the team being bad). Given the questionable talent level, he would have a legit shot at making the bottom-6 on this roster.

I'd give Palms and Gusev extensions - both are top-6 on any team. The questions surrounding Gusev's defensive limitations were an obvious concern in the first half of the season, but I believe he started to develop an average two-way game. If he wing on the first or second line, I'd be OK with him being more of a defensive liability so long as Hughes isn't centering his line (might as well be playing 5-on-3). I think the offensive skill/creativity is undeniable. The team will be better with him on it. Also, I do not think we're in the position to be moving top-6 wingers when we have no players to back-fill them.

Contracts - I'm with @zyyyp on the Gusev deal [5/6 x 6M]. I think that's a good contract for both sides. I would do it sooner rather than later so that he can be dealt at the deadline if no deal is reached. As for Palms, I'd throw him a similar contract as Gusev, maybe a year less on the term [4/5 x 6M].

I don't think we'll land a fish in the UFA market, but I would definitely look into a couple of cap dumps to acquire more draft/prospect capital. The prospect pool has certainly improved thanks to some of the moves from the past two seasons, so hopefully something pans out. Guys I'd take a look at (no order) - Russell, Neal, Erikson, Boychuk, Okposo - Probably missing a few but you get the point.
Book_Hockey and zyyyp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Lol, I'm the most insufferable fan on the site because you don't agree with my opinions? Jesus you are soft. People can disagree on things and share their opinions, that's the whole point of CF. I don't like getting into it with Devils fans on here because like you said there's not many of us, why can't we all be on the same page here?

As for Palmieri, plenty of guys have "been around for a few years" doesn't really add much to your argument, and none of us have any idea who is looked at as a leader in the locker room. He gives an effort more than most (not saying a whole lot) but he was totally invisible at times last year, I also didn't like his attitude. It was apparent that he wanted the puck all the time and never dished when given the opportunity, it's almost as if when Hall got moved he thought he was the top dog and wanted everything to run through him. I'm fine with keeping him around on a shorter deal (3 years x 5M) to play a depth role but anything more than that I wouldn't feel good about. I don't dislike Palmieri but I find Devils fans massively overvalue him (as they do a lot of players) and it's extremely annoying. The team is moving in a new direction with Nico and Hughes leading the charge, I think it makes most sense to do multiple A's until Nico is ready like I said.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Gusev then, I think he's a fantastic player. He's not great defensively but when you have that good of an offensive toolset you don't have to be. I would consider an offer of a mid 1st and an A+ prospect but anything less than that would be a no go for me. He could easily be a 70 point guy on this team and point scoring wingers is something we have lacked for a long time. I'm curious as to how you would know that he doesn't like living in NJ?

No you're insufferable because, as I've seen on your other posts, you mock and put down other posters ideas as opposed to offering facts and data as to why you disagree. Calling you out on your bull**** doesn't make me"soft".
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: DevilsFanInTX
I think Walsh gets offered an ELC - up in the air as to whether he takes it. I don't know what the rumor mill is putting out on him and why he would want to leave (other than the team being bad). Given the questionable talent level, he would have a legit shot at making the bottom-6 on this roster.

I'd give Palms and Gusev extensions - both are top-6 on any team. The questions surrounding Gusev's defensive limitations were an obvious concern in the first half of the season, but I believe he started to develop an average two-way game. If he wing on the first or second line, I'd be OK with him being more of a defensive liability so long as Hughes isn't centering his line (might as well be playing 5-on-3). I think the offensive skill/creativity is undeniable. The team will be better with him on it. Also, I do not think we're in the position to be moving top-6 wingers when we have no players to back-fill them.

Contracts - I'm with @zyyyp on the Gusev deal [5/6 x 6M]. I think that's a good contract for both sides. I would do it sooner rather than later so that he can be dealt at the deadline if no deal is reached. As for Palms, I'd throw him a similar contract as Gusev, maybe a year less on the term [4/5 x 6M].

I don't think we'll land a fish in the UFA market, but I would definitely look into a couple of cap dumps to acquire more draft/prospect capital. The prospect pool has certainly improved thanks to some of the moves from the past two seasons, so hopefully something pans out. Guys I'd take a look at (no order) - Russell, Neal, Erikson, Boychuk, Okposo - Probably missing a few but you get the point.

Walsh is a D man but I understand what you're saying. Rather see him in the lineup then Mermis or Mueller.
DevilsFanInTX liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
No you're insufferable because, as I've seen on your other posts, you mock and put down other posters ideas as opposed to offering facts and data as to why you disagree. Calling you out on your bull**** doesn't make me"soft".

who have I put down or mocked on my posts? you must have me mistaken with someone else. I have defended my claims with legitimate evidence numerous times, I don't know that there's all too much merit in this "bull****" you're calling me out on.
cperk92 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: DevilsFanInTX

Looks like the Harvard season won't start till January 1, 2021 (Source: https://gocrimson.com/news/2020/7/8/home-page-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx)

I think that might push Walsh into signing since like you said there is a big hole on the right after Severson and Subban, might get a chance to play right away. Plus Walsh will get near the rookie max $800-$900,000 plus a nice signing bonus.

Either way worst comes to worse gives the Devils more time to shop his rights even Walsh says he won't sign here.
DevilsFanInTX liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
Walsh is a D man but I understand what you're saying. Rather see him in the lineup then Mermis or Mueller.

Yeah, my crappy way of saying bottom-pair on a weak defense. We’re on the same page!
Book_Hockey liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll