Forums/Armchair-GM

Arthur Staple latest article

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2020
Published: Jul. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
https://theathletic.com/1916630/2020/07/09/the-many-decisions-facing-the-cap-strapped-islanders-under-the-new-cba/

Lamoriello has already showed a bit of this handiwork with the Isles, exiling Ladd for the bulk of his time as Isles GM due to Ladd’s knee issues. The Islanders save $1.075 million on each contract that’s buried in the AHL, so they have options with that or the LTIR exile — the latter of which opens up the full value of a contract. If Ladd were to start next season on LTIR, the Isles would be able to go above the cap by $5.5 million. That seems like the most likely course for Ladd and possibly Komarov, too. He missed an extended period last season with neck issues, which could reappear before next season begins.

If Ladd and Komarov were to start next season on LTIR, the Islanders would have room to maneuver on the free-agent market.

In this scenario, maybe the Isles can afford Mike Hoffman to add to their limited offense; maybe they can aim even higher and sign Taylor Hall. But this group, which includes a couple of prospects in Bellows and Wahlstrom, looks younger and deeper.

TLDR: Conservative RFA projections. Ladd and Komarov land on Robidas Island because Lou finds his way around the cap. Trade Leddy for what you can get. Use the found space to sign a Hoffman or Hall
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$6,500,000
3$2,750,000
5$5,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
1$750,000
Trades
NYI
  1. 2021 4th round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Leddy, Nick
Additional Details:
"Leddy’s role won’t be as prominent as it was. This is not a “trade him because he stinks” idea — it’s pure cap economics and Johnny Boychuk, who turns 37 next year, likely won’t draw much trade interest."
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,488,333$0$750,000$11,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
NYI
Funny how he has Ladd and Komarov heading to Robidas Island. Ladd sure, Komarov I doubt.

Toews won't take something that small for three years. He'll either take a cheap two-year deal (which I doubt) or a fair value six-year deal.

Pulock contract seems really small too. He deserves a big payday, although given the circumstances I understand why he may not get it.
joshelkin liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
I'm curious as to how you put players on to LTIR. I don't know if you can say "Ladd/Komarov had health issues last year, we want their cap hit to not count". Granted, we've seen a bunch of teams do this several times over. I don't know. The NHL has been pretty unkind to the Isles lately; pushed back hard on Sorokin being with the Isles this year and did so much damage that he might not even sign here now and recently indicated that there won't be any CBOs, which the Isles desperately need if there's going to be a flat cap. If the NHL was unaccommodating on those fronts, I don't know why they'd allow the Isles to bs their way out of cap hit obligations to two league veterans. I hope I'm wrong here, but I feel like the Isles are going to have to give up some assets this offseason to fit under the cap and there's just no getting around that.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
CHI NYI
Staple writes for The Athletic, so if he really thinks both Ladd and Komarov will end up on LTIR, there's definitely some legitimacy to that. However, I remain doubtful. Seems very....convenient.

As for the UFAs, I want absolutely nothing to do with Hoffman. His value exceeds what some of the underlying numbers say he is; his shot allows him to score from anywhere. But he's way too one-dimensional. Evolving Hockey's WAR is a controversial stat, but Hoffman has been below replacement level at even strength over the past 3 seasons, with most of his value coming on the power play. Beyond that, he's got negative corsi for and expected goal differentials and bad offensive teammate-relative numbers. And for six years, his weaknesses are only going to be further exposed.

I don't think the Islanders are in as bad shape as some other people think, but I don't think he's going to be a positive addition long-term. Honestly, the Islanders need a pure-offense type player, but not at that age, cap hit or term. I'd rather develop a guy like Bellows, Wahlstrom or Holmstrom into that type of player.
masterjuddi liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
I think Barzal's bridge deal would be closer to 7 mill, maybe for 3 years like Tkachuk's in Calgary, but whatever...if they cant get him locked in on a long term team a bridge like that makes sense
I also think Hoffman gets more on the open market. Teams are gonna pay him
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles
I'm curious as to how you put players on to LTIR. I don't know if you can say "Ladd/Komarov had health issues last year, we want their cap hit to not count". Granted, we've seen a bunch of teams do this several times over. I don't know. The NHL has been pretty unkind to the Isles lately; pushed back hard on Sorokin being with the Isles this year and did so much damage that he might not even sign here now and recently indicated that there won't be any CBOs, which the Isles desperately need if there's going to be a flat cap. If the NHL was unaccommodating on those fronts, I don't know why they'd allow the Isles to bs their way out of cap hit obligations to two league veterans. I hope I'm wrong here, but I feel like the Isles are going to have to give up some assets this offseason to fit under the cap and there's just no getting around that.

If players are nearing the end of their careers, have had some injury issues, and don't really have the drive to play anymore, then I could see them "retiring" early on Robidas island. It allows them a way to essentially not have to show up to work anymore, but still get paid their full salary over the remainder of their contract. Sign me up for that.

Obviously, they would need a doctor to corroborate whatever "equipment allergy" is putting them on LTIR, but as long as they find one that is willing to stake their medical reputation on the diagnosis, then it's probably fair game. Joffrey Lupul all but confirmed on social media several years ago that his injury was BS and he was perfectly capable of returning to play, but the team didn't want him back.

The team gets what they want in extra cap space and the player continues to get paid while going on early retirement. Everyone wins.
Hawkisles liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
If players are nearing the end of their careers, have had some injury issues, and don't really have the drive to play anymore, then I could see them "retiring" early on Robidas island. It allows them a way to essentially not have to show up to work anymore, but still get paid their full salary over the remainder of their contract. Sign me up for that.

Obviously, they would need a doctor to corroborate whatever "equipment allergy" is putting them on LTIR, but as long as they find one that is willing to stake their medical reputation on the diagnosis, then it's probably fair game. Joffrey Lupul all but confirmed on social media several years ago that his injury was BS and he was perfectly capable of returning to play, but the team didn't want him back.

The team gets what they want in extra cap space and the player continues to get paid while going on early retirement. Everyone wins.

Ladd's been seen working out. He clearly wants to return to play, so I don't know how you do all this if the player doesn't consent to this process.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:44 p.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Staple writes for The Athletic, so if he really thinks both Ladd and Komarov will end up on LTIR, there's definitely some legitimacy to that. However, I remain doubtful. Seems very....convenient.

As for the UFAs, I want absolutely nothing to do with Hoffman. His value exceeds what some of the underlying numbers say he is; his shot allows him to score from anywhere. But he's way too one-dimensional. Evolving Hockey's WAR is a controversial stat, but Hoffman has been below replacement level at even strength over the past 3 seasons, with most of his value coming on the power play. Beyond that, he's got negative corsi for and expected goal differentials and bad offensive teammate-relative numbers. And for six years, his weaknesses are only going to be further exposed.

I don't think the Islanders are in as bad shape as some other people think, but I don't think he's going to be a positive addition long-term. Honestly, the Islanders need a pure-offense type player, but not at that age, cap hit or term. I'd rather develop a guy like Bellows, Wahlstrom or Holmstrom into that type of player.

I agree about Hoffman. We have too many bad contracts already, and I don't think he transforms the team into a contender even if Hoffman stays good throughout his contract.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
LTIR is not free cap space btw
Jul. 9, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Hawkisles
I agree about Hoffman. We have too many bad contracts already, and I don't think he transforms the team into a contender even if Hoffman stays good throughout his contract.

I do think he would help, but not enough to justify the contract he’s going to get and, like you said, not even to make the Islanders a contender long term

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll