Forums/Armchair-GM

2020 offseason

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2020
Published: Jul. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wild don't really need another wing but the right shot is a need so I have them making the trade for Boeser.
Canucks are looking to move out salary cap, but if they had cap space they probably use it on a defenseman anyway, so Dumba makes a bit of space. I think Canucks better move to free up space would be to trade Loui Eriksson along with Demko and maybe a pick to Detroit.
Wild will likely strike out on top 6 centers in the offseason, so I have them settling on re-signing Galchenyuk and adding Bjugstad in a trade. Wild should draft a center with their first pick. Additionally Khovanov should be NHL ready sooner than later.
The Martin Jones trade is a bit risky but I believe it helps both Sharks and the Wild. Jones could have a bit of a bounce back with the rest and might be a good option to platoon with Kahkonen, allowing him to grow into a true number 1. Moving Zuccarello also helps Wild in the expansion draft.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$990,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$870,000
2$870,000
2$870,000
2$2,400,000
2$970,000
2$3,200,000
2$975,000
2$975,000
2$975,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,800,000
1$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Favorite center here, Insert your
2$925,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Boeser, Brock
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,677,757$0$0$8,822,243
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$990,000$990,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$975,000$975,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$970,000$970,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
D
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$870,000$870,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 13, 2020 at 7:24 p.m.
Sharks agree in a heartbeat
OutCold13, JumboJoe, Dave31 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
From a Sharks fan, yes please 🙌🏼
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Donato is not a fit. Picks are not going out with or if Boeser is traded. Dumba straight up if at all.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 8:55 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Nighthawk
Donato is not a fit. Picks are not going out with or if Boeser is traded. Dumba straight up if at all.

I guess I figured Canucks could use a young cheap forward who could score, to help with the salary cap crunch. No biggie though I'm good with the Boeser for Dumba trade. I really am hoping to find a team with a spot open in the top 9 to send Donato to, I would really like to see him get a real chance somewhere.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 8:57 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Edited Jul. 14, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
Quoting: Paul13
I guess I figured Canucks could use a young cheap forward who could score, to help with the salary cap crunch. No biggie though I'm good with the Boeser for Dumba trade. I really am hoping to find a team with a spot open in the top 9 to send Donato to, I would really like to see him get a real chance somewhere.

All good but we have a logjam on F’s. RHD is a weakness.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
Where is this Insert your Favorite center here guy? Seems like he deserves a spot in the lineup wink

I don't like Dumba for Boeser. Boeser is a very talented player and he's the type of goal scoring right shot RW we've been wanting for years, but we have a far bigger need for a center and Dumba or Brodin have to be the chips we use to get one. Plus we finally have talented wingers in our system with Fiala emerging as a potential star, Kaprizov should be a very good player, and guys like Boldy and Beckman have been promising in their draft+1 years. I guess I just don't think Boeser is as much of a need as he would have been a couple years ago and trading a talented player who plays a premium position (RD) for someone who plays the least valuable position in the NHL (W) isn't smart imo. Just my 2 cents.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 9:24 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: TanSor
Where is this Insert your Favorite center here guy? Seems like he deserves a spot in the lineup wink

I don't like Dumba for Boeser. Boeser is a very talented player and he's the type of goal scoring right shot RW we've been wanting for years, but we have a far bigger need for a center and Dumba or Brodin have to be the chips we use to get one. Plus we finally have talented wingers in our system with Fiala emerging as a potential star, Kaprizov should be a very good player, and guys like Boldy and Beckman have been promising in their draft+1 years. I guess I just don't think Boeser is as much of a need as he would have been a couple years ago and trading a talented player who plays a premium position (RD) for someone who plays the least valuable position in the NHL (W) isn't smart imo. Just my 2 cents.

Insert favorite center is in a development yet. I'm think Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, or Lundell depending how the draft shakes out. So I'm thinking Wild won't find a deal for a center that they like. Boeser does atleast give the Wild a right hand shot. If Wild did make a deal for Bjugstad and re-sign Galchenyuk I think the combination of them can hold down the 3C. With Addison making strides toward a NHL job, Soucy being a likely group 6 rfa and Menell and Belpedio both being NHL ready, not to mention Brodin due for a nice pay increase, I just think something has to give. I do 100 percent agree Wild need centers but from what I'm seeing nothing worth having will shake loose.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 9:32 p.m.
Insert favorite center is in a development yet. I'm think Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, or Lundell depending how the draft shakes out. So I'm thinking Wild won't find a deal for a center that they like. Boeser does atleast give the Wild a right hand shot. If Wild did make a deal for Bjugstad and re-sign Galchenyuk I think the combination of them can hold down the 3C. With Addison making strides toward a NHL job, Soucy being a likely group 6 rfa and Menell and Belpedio both being NHL ready, not to mention Brodin due for a nice pay increase, I just think something has to give. I do 100 percent agree Wild need centers but from what I'm seeing nothing worth having will shake loose.

Eh I kinda hate the idea of Bjugstad. He is what he is at this point, if we trade for a 3C I'd rather we go for someone who still has some upside (like a Mittelstadt or Borgstrom).

I'd love Boeser but I just don't think moving Dumba for him is very smart. We've seen the game breaker that Dumba can be from the blue line and I'd be surprised if he didn't return to that type of player very soon.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Eh I kinda hate the idea of Bjugstad. He is what he is at this point, if we trade for a 3C I'd rather we go for someone who still has some upside (like a Mittelstadt or Borgstrom).

I'd love Boeser but I just don't think moving Dumba for him is very smart. We've seen the game breaker that Dumba can be from the blue line and I'd be surprised if he didn't return to that type of player very soon.

I'm not a huge Bjugstad fan but he fills a need and its only one year left on the contract which should give a young center time to hit the line up, plus its a convenient way to move out Pateryn and bring up one of our over ripe RHD.
I think Dumba is going to bounce back as well so it does suck moving him. If you look at the Wilds depth on the right side and then look at the left side, I just think Dumba looks like the odd man out.
I know we want a top 6 center for Dumba or Brodin but center appears to be the thinnest position in the NHL so I don't think the Wild are going to get the deal they want.
TanSor and MNBassman liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
I'm not a huge Bjugstad fan but he fills a need and its only one year left on the contract which should give a young center time to hit the line up, plus its a convenient way to move out Pateryn and bring up one of our over ripe RHD.
I think Dumba is going to bounce back as well so it does suck moving him. If you look at the Wilds depth on the right side and then look at the left side, I just think Dumba looks like the odd man out.
I know we want a top 6 center for Dumba or Brodin but center appears to be the thinnest position in the NHL so I don't think the Wild are going to get the deal they want.

I trust Guerin to find a way. It won't be easy, but if we're going into next year with Staal, Ek, Bjugstad, and Sturm as our centers I'm sorry but we are probably going to be a lottery team again, especially when you consider that Staal will be 36 and could drop off a cliff.
OutCold13 and MNBassman liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I trust Guerin to find a way. It won't be easy, but if we're going into next year with Staal, Ek, Bjugstad, and Sturm as our centers I'm sorry but we are probably going to be a lottery team again, especially when you consider that Staal will be 36 and could drop off a cliff.

IMO this is yet another Wild bubble team, which has gotten extremely old. I also trust Guerin, I think he may be content to let a guy like Khovanov develop and try to draft another young center. Drafting can be tough though since they can take a while to develop. Really hoping JEE finds more offense next year.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 12:43 a.m.
Banned
signs Galchenyuk for 3.5 million....then proceeds to scratch him.
WTF does that?

No one.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 1:14 a.m.
You have $12m tied up in bottom-6 centers (Rask, Chucky, Bjustad, Strum) and none of them are a solution to the top-6C need the Wild have. Taking a gamble is fine, but just take one of Bjustad/Chucky, not both of them. I don't mind the Pit trade, it's a garbage in / garbage out deal.

The best trade chip (Dumba) MN has was just used on a wing position that MN is already stacked for. The RHS is a need, but adding more wings just isn't needed.

I want 4 years of Jones less than I want 4 years of Zucc (and I can't stand his contract). Why does Zucc waive his NTC to go to SJS? He chased the money with his deal, why would he take a paycut (CA taxes are worse than MN)?
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 7:40 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: pharrow
signs Galchenyuk for 3.5 million....then proceeds to scratch him.
WTF does that?

No one.

Right but given the age of the team he will get plenty of playing time.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 8:35 a.m.
MNBassman
Im not nearly as down on a Dumba for a right-shot wing as the rest of our guys on here. I would prefer a center coming back, but i also think a goal-scoring right-shot wing is just about as rare as centers are, so i would strongly consider this. I would, however, like to know what Guerin and Co. think of , Khovanov, Galchenyuk, and others first...but i firmly believe a team can win the Cup without a bonafide #1 center...especially with the stable of wings the Wild would have after these moves.

I agree that only one of Galchenyuk or Bjugstad should be considered here.
I would trade Zuccarello’s contract for Jones’ in a heartbeat...especially if the Wild added Boeser.

Just think about a top 6 wing group of: Fiala, Boeser, Kaprizov, and Boldy... like i said elsewhere, Sid Hartman and i (52 y/o and 30lbs overweight) could center this group and be successful.

One last thing: someone smarter than me needs to figure out if the Wild could keep all these wingers long-term with the cap...
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: wabit
You have $12m tied up in bottom-6 centers (Rask, Chucky, Bjustad, Strum) and none of them are a solution to the top-6C need the Wild have. Taking a gamble is fine, but just take one of Bjustad/Chucky, not both of them. I don't mind the Pit trade, it's a garbage in / garbage out deal.

The best trade chip (Dumba) MN has was just used on a wing position that MN is already stacked for. The RHS is a need, but adding more wings just isn't needed.

I want 4 years of Jones less than I want 4 years of Zucc (and I can't stand his contract). Why does Zucc waive his NTC to go to SJS? He chased the money with his deal, why would he take a paycut (CA taxes are worse than MN)?

I should start by saying I don't believe this team to be anything but a bubble team.

I don't really consider it taking a gamble on Bjugstad or Galchenyuk. They are both place holders, with no term, both should be motivated to play for their next payday. With Bjugstad injury history, Sturm being unproven and Staal and Parise being 36 next year. I think Galchenyuk will get his playing time and if protected and allowed to build his confidence he may even be a tradeable asset at the deadline mostly to aquire prospects and or draft picks.

Dumba for Boeser to me makes sense as we have ready, albeit not as good as Dumba, RHD in the AHL and when considering we have to pay Brodin soon, it makes sense. I also don't have a lot of confidence that a top 6 center is going to become available. I do think being on a line with Fiala and Boeser will allow Staal to remain as a 1c for the remainder of his contract. I'm hoping Khovanov or a first round center will be ready to play the following year. If not Wild should have the cap space needed to get one if one becomes available in FA.

Not sure how to convince Zuccarello to except the trade, but Minnesota, though not taxed as high as California, is a pretty tax heavy state. Perhaps he looks at the wings and decides he may not have a position here long. Jones I expect a bounce back from he is only 30 so he really shouldn't have hit steep decline yet, he has played more games than any goalie the last 4 years I believe, so maybe rest and a platoon situation helps him out. Wild are a better defensive team than the Sharks so that at minimum should help.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 10:52 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: MNBassman
Im not nearly as down on a Dumba for a right-shot wing as the rest of our guys on here. I would prefer a center coming back, but i also think a goal-scoring right-shot wing is just about as rare as centers are, so i would strongly consider this. I would, however, like to know what Guerin and Co. think of , Khovanov, Galchenyuk, and others first...but i firmly believe a team can win the Cup without a bonafide #1 center...especially with the stable of wings the Wild would have after these moves.

I agree that only one of Galchenyuk or Bjugstad should be considered here.
I would trade Zuccarello’s contract for Jones’ in a heartbeat...especially if the Wild added Boeser.

Just think about a top 6 wing group of: Fiala, Boeser, Kaprizov, and Boldy... like i said elsewhere, Sid Hartman and i (52 y/o and 30lbs overweight) could center this group and be successful.

One last thing: someone smarter than me needs to figure out if the Wild could keep all these wingers long-term with the cap...

I'm glad we are like minded on Boeser. I guess I figured signing Chucky was kinda insurance on Bjugstads injury history along with Praise and Staal being 36 and Sturm being unproven. Possibly if he Galchenyuk is protected enough and allowed to regain his confidence Wild could flip him at the deadline I'm hoping. Didn't good old Sid just turn 100? You could center the top line but I'm going to say Sid is out, but maybe Rask.
MNBassman liked this.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
I should start by saying I don't believe this team to be anything but a bubble team.

I don't really consider it taking a gamble on Bjugstad or Galchenyuk. They are both place holders, with no term, both should be motivated to play for their next payday. With Bjugstad injury history, Sturm being unproven and Staal and Parise being 36 next year. I think Galchenyuk will get his playing time and if protected and allowed to build his confidence he may even be a tradeable asset at the deadline mostly to aquire prospects and or draft picks.

Dumba for Boeser to me makes sense as we have ready, albeit not as good as Dumba, RHD in the AHL and when considering we have to pay Brodin soon, it makes sense. I also don't have a lot of confidence that a top 6 center is going to become available. I do think being on a line with Fiala and Boeser will allow Staal to remain as a 1c for the remainder of his contract. I'm hoping Khovanov or a first round center will be ready to play the following year. If not Wild should have the cap space needed to get one if one becomes available in FA.

Not sure how to convince Zuccarello to except the trade, but Minnesota, though not taxed as high as California, is a pretty tax heavy state. Perhaps he looks at the wings and decides he may not have a position here long. Jones I expect a bounce back from he is only 30 so he really shouldn't have hit steep decline yet, he has played more games than any goalie the last 4 years I believe, so maybe rest and a platoon situation helps him out. Wild are a better defensive team than the Sharks so that at minimum should help.

Jones has had 2 bad seasons (over 100 games) in a row now. With one bad season I could see the bounce back argument, not 2. He single handed tanked SJS season, when the goalie plays like garbage the rest of the team does too. We've seen in in MN this year and in years past with Backstrom, Kemps and Dub, when they were off the team looked like a different team than when they had confidence in their goalie.

Boeser isn't needed, at all. It's the same argument as adding Kapanen (who I'd rather have over Boeser, less offense but better all around game) via trade. MN has Fiala, Kaprizov, Kunin, Boldy as young wings (all should be top-6). Greenway and Parise cover in the 3rd line wing spots for a few years. They there are guys like Donato, Hartman, Beckman, and Khovanov that fill in any other wing spots in the next 3 years. Not to mention the albatross of Zucc that needs to be worked into the lineup.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 5:59 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: wabit
Jones has had 2 bad seasons (over 100 games) in a row now. With one bad season I could see the bounce back argument, not 2. He single handed tanked SJS season, when the goalie plays like garbage the rest of the team does too. We've seen in in MN this year and in years past with Backstrom, Kemps and Dub, when they were off the team looked like a different team than when they had confidence in their goalie.

Boeser isn't needed, at all. It's the same argument as adding Kapanen (who I'd rather have over Boeser, less offense but better all around game) via trade. MN has Fiala, Kaprizov, Kunin, Boldy as young wings (all should be top-6). Greenway and Parise cover in the 3rd line wing spots for a few years. They there are guys like Donato, Hartman, Beckman, and Khovanov that fill in any other wing spots in the next 3 years. Not to mention the albatross of Zucc that needs to be worked into the lineup.

I wouldn't mind Kapanen as well, but I really like Boeser because he can score, both would be nice though. I know Wild have a lot of NHL level wings, as you know all of them except Hartman and Kunin are left shot wings. Khovanov I believe will be played at center because if he doesn't, who does?
It would probably be unwise to get another wing before you move a couple of the left shot ones the Wild have.
I haven't checked the saves above expected for Jones vs. Dubnyk or Stalock, but is he really any worse than they were this year? If it wasn't for how god awful Zuccarellos contract is I wouldn't be interested, but this move clears the NMC of Zuccarello and frees up a bit of cap space. I just cant figure out why Fenton did that deal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll