Forums/Armchair-GM

Notes for next season

Created by: alwaysnextyear
Team: 2020-21 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 14, 2020
Published: Jul. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ferland: It doesn't look good that he was 'unfit to play' on Day 1 of RTP training camp yesterday. If it's related to his post-concussion symptoms that would mean he's gone almost a whole year with symptoms and attempted at least a couple comebacks only to go back on IR right away each time. I'd love it if he came back completely healthy next season because he'd be very effective in a grinder/pest role on a line with more skilled players. But if he isn't cleared to play against MIN I'm predicting he goes on the LTIR retirement shelf this offseason at the direction of doctors.

MacEwen: Taking shifts lining up in the top 6 at camp yesterday, as he did alongside Horvat in a few games before the season paused. If Green continues to use Horvat's line as the primary shutdown group then I could see MacEwen sticking there if they don't clear enough space to sign Toffoli.

Demko/Eriksson trade: I'm still convinced that if the team extends Markstrom then Demko becomes their best trade chip to dump a contract. I've done multiple versions of this kind of trade to DET, but I think it could work with any rebuilding team with some cap space that likes Demko's upside. This version with OTT would net them Demko and a 3rd for taking on the extra cap year of Eriksson and sending a retained one year contract back to the Canucks. With the remaining actual salary payments owed to Eriksson and Anisimov, this would only cost the Sens about $4.25M total.

Baertschi: Given his opt-out for the playoffs I'm predicting Sven agrees to a mutual contract termination in the offseason and walks from the remaining $2.4M owed to him. He deserves another shot at the NHL level but likely won't get it with the Canucks, and his current contract makes it almost impossible to trade him unless VAN sweetens the deal with a pick. He's young enough that if he became a free agent and signed a cheap one year deal with a team of his choosing in 2020/21, he could easily earn himself another extension as a middle-six guy.

Rathbone: If he signs by tomorrow then he burns a year of his ELC but won't be getting performance bonuses. I haven't seen any tape of his game but some scouts familiar with the Canucks talent pool think he's the team's best Dman prospect, and if he's ready for limited NHL action next season he could easily beat out guys like Benn or Fantenberg for the 3LD spot. If he decides not to sign then the clock starts ticking toward him becoming a free agent, at which point the team might decide to use him as trade bait like CAR did with Adam Fox.

DeMelo: Love the idea of signing him as a lower-cost replacement for the older Tanev. I'd like the team to retain Stecher as well, but he's likely best suited to a #5 role, so adding another top 4 quality Dman is essential.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$825,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,750,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$2,750,000
2$2,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
1$800,000
5$3,750,000
4$5,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Anisimov, Artem ($2,275,000 retained)
OTT
  1. Demko, Thatcher
  2. Eriksson, Loui
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
VAN
    Mutual contract termination
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$75,185,212$1,700,000$3,700,000$6,314,788
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $2,275,000$2,275,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    G
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,375,000$4,375,000
    RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
    Bringer_Of_Snow
    For a guy who appears to be a fringe NHLer, how are you going to convince Baertschi to walk away from $2.5M? He's not going to get anymore from another team. He's better of collecting it, then head to Europe after
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
    1) The Ferland situation is really out of everyone's hands. Whatever's best for him will happen, but there's no way of knowing anything either way. I think Dhaliwal reported that Ferland's absence wasn't concussion related, so there's that. Could have just been out of shape given that he just had a baby earlier this year.

2) At the trade deadline Benning said he expects MacEwan to be a strong contender for a roster spot next year, which makes us even more crowded at forward. I would personally like to see him get some reps at center next year to groom him as a Beagle replacement on the 4th line.

3) I think Detroit is still the best bet for a Demko/Eriksson trade given that they need a young goalie. Since re-signing Markstrom seems to be a priority, moving Demko is a good option as you said. I've seen Detroit fans agree to many trades on here with that structure, so hopefully something similar can get done.

4) I doubt Baertschi terminates his contract and walks away from guaranteed money. I think he actually earns more playing in the AHL since there's no escrow. I'd say he sticks it out for another year in the minors and then earns his way up from a PTO after that. I don't think its worth it to give up an asset to move him since he only has one year left.

5) It seems as though Rathbone will be signed, which is interesting in terms of where he will play next year if there's no AHL season to start. Would the Canucks be forced to keep him on the roster or would they loan him to a European team?

6) DeMelo would be a good fit as it seems like Tanev is the odd man out from our 3 FAs since Benning seems intent on keeping Toffoli. Personally, I think Toffoli should be the one to walk and its not particularly close.
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
    alwaysnextyear
    Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
    For a guy who appears to be a fringe NHLer, how are you going to convince Baertschi to walk away from $2.5M? He's not going to get anymore from another team. He's better of collecting it, then head to Europe after

This would be based on the idea that VAN informs him they don't have a spot for him on the NHL roster but they also have no intention of paying another team to take his contract. That would leave his only options as the AHL for another year for 2.4M, or terminate the deal and sign with another NHL team. I guarantee another team would give him a cheap one year prove-it deal, and I have no doubt he would get another contract after that. If he still has ambition to stay in the NHL the latter option would be way better for him and he'd probably earn more money in the long run.
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
    alwaysnextyear
    Quoting: Canucks33
    1) The Ferland situation is really out of everyone's hands. Whatever's best for him will happen, but there's no way of knowing anything either way. I think Dhaliwal reported that Ferland's absence wasn't concussion related, so there's that. Could have just been out of shape given that he just had a baby earlier this year.

2) At the trade deadline Benning said he expects MacEwan to be a strong contender for a roster spot next year, which makes us even more crowded at forward. I would personally like to see him get some reps at center next year to groom him as a Beagle replacement on the 4th line.

3) I think Detroit is still the best bet for a Demko/Eriksson trade given that they need a young goalie. Since re-signing Markstrom seems to be a priority, moving Demko is a good option as you said. I've seen Detroit fans agree to many trades on here with that structure, so hopefully something similar can get done.

4) I doubt Baertschi terminates his contract and walks away from guaranteed money. I think he actually earns more playing in the AHL since there's no escrow. I'd say he sticks it out for another year in the minors and then earns his way up from a PTO after that. I don't think its worth it to give up an asset to move him since he only has one year left.

5) It seems as though Rathbone will be signed, which is interesting in terms of where he will play next year if there's no AHL season to start. Would the Canucks be forced to keep him on the roster or would they loan him to a European team?

6) DeMelo would be a good fit as it seems like Tanev is the odd man out from our 3 FAs since Benning seems intent on keeping Toffoli. Personally, I think Toffoli should be the one to walk and its not particularly close.

Thanks for the feedback!
    1) Agreed. Like I said the best case scenario for all parties involved would be that Ferly's back at 100% for next year, but we'll have to wait and see about his health.
    2) Agreed. MacEwen should be able to win that 4C spot sometime next year. I just think it's promising that he could be a sort of multi-tool forward for different lines and situations.
    3) I think both DET and OTT could be good matches for this type of deal; rebuilding teams with cap space looking for a long-term goalie upgrade. The only question mark is how much each of them values Demko's potential.
    4) I agree Baertschi walking away from 2.4M isn't as likely, especially if his plan is to just sign in Europe after. But it just depends on where his head is at long term. If he still has NHL ambitions and wants to bet on himself then I think his better long term play would be to terminate with VAN, sign a one year prove-it deal with another NHL team next season near league minimum and earn an extension somewhere after that. In that sense he'd only be walking away from $1.65M for one year, and would be way better positioned to earn himself a raise again on a new deal than if he played the year in the AHL or Europe and tried to get a PTO for 2021/22.
    5) If the AHL doesn't operate then my guess is there'll be a lot of younger guys signing European contracts with NHL opt-out clauses, including Rathbone. But given the Canucks need at the position I do think there's a chance for at least one of the prospects to win a 3rd pair spot.
    6) Agreed. They won't be able to afford Toffoli and their bigger need is the blueline. Tanev is past his prime, so I say go with a younger, cheaper guy.
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.
    Judd Bracket ripoff
    No thanks to that Eriksson dump. Why pay so much to only clear less than 4 mill in cap? Trade Sutter instead it will cost a lot les
    Jul. 14, 2020 at 5:52 p.m.
    alwaysnextyear
    Quoting: The_Rocket
    No thanks to that Eriksson dump. Why pay so much to only clear less than 4 mill in cap? Trade Sutter instead it will cost a lot les

Because both Sutter’s and Anisimov’s deals expire at the end of 2020/21, when VAN really needs the cap space. Getting rid of the 2nd year of Eriksson’s deal is the most important part.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll