Forums/Armchair-GM

could this be possible in 2021

Created by: Gordon_Bombay
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 16, 2020
Published: Jul. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Kokkonen looks very good in Finland. and the Leafs just don't have much room to do anything really.

The only options I see is either trade Campbell (as I would not move on from Freddie. He had a bad year, but also the Leafs were poor and is a far better goalie than Campbell)

Or making the big move and move Marner or try to move Muzzin.

I know this sounds crazy, but the Leafs are better at forward, but for the future, I think the Leafs are better at D, especially left handed D. 3 of the top 4 prospects are Ds Kokkonen, Liljegren and Sandin

Trading Nylander will not free up much, because any player of his caliber will also make 6 million at least.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,400,000
2$800,000
2$750,000
3$1,100,000
1$750,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
5$3,500,000
3$1,200,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2022 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
By then, this should not be a high pick anymore (at least top 10 protected)
NJD
  1. Bracco, Jeremy [RFA Rights]
  2. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
  3. Johnsson, Andreas
  4. 2022 5th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2022 5th round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
not a bad D. But the Leafs and the Cap are no friends. Just picked Minnesota because he is from the area
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,609,783$0$400,000-$109,783
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
RFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 16, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
Leafs are not trading Dermott or Holl as these guys are great younger defenceman on reasonable contracts.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: TML_Tika
Leafs are not trading Dermott or Holl as these guys are great younger defenceman on reasonable contracts.

I see what you mean. But they would probably like to keep Hyman and Mikheyev. And what I did here were not crazy contracts. Dermott is a RFA this offseason, so we don't know what his contract will be.

What I did was taking out Johnsson and 4 Ds are more or less on minimum contracts and the Leafs are still over the current cap.

It is just difficult.

This is why I'd move Marner. Cap is just hell for the Leafs.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Hyman gets more
Anderson gets more
Either from the Leafs or another team
Jul. 16, 2020 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
Hyman gets more
Anderson gets more
Either from the Leafs or another team

With Hyman I have the feeling that he could be the guy taking less money to be a in Toronto. Wish Marner would have done that cry
Jul. 16, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
With Hyman I have the feeling that he could be the guy taking less money to be a in Toronto. Wish Marner would have done that cry

I hope he does too. He will be sorely missed if he leaves. Anderson also. But when is the last time a player took less to stay/come here. Yes JT could have gotten more from SJ but 11mil is still a lot.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
I hope he does too. He will be sorely missed if he leaves. Anderson also. But when is the last time a player took less to stay/come here. Yes JT could have gotten more from SJ but 11mil is still a lot.

Yes, but Hyman kind of already reufused to sign in Florida because he wanted to be a maple leaf if I am not mistaken. I think he is a guy who wants to be in Toronto and is not just saying it like many other. Kadri was also that way. Took a very team friendly deal to be here
Jul. 16, 2020 at 2:55 p.m.
I see what you mean. But they would probably like to keep Hyman and Mikheyev. And what I did here were not crazy contracts. Dermott is a RFA this offseason, so we don't know what his contract will be.

What I did was taking out Johnsson and 4 Ds are more or less on minimum contracts and the Leafs are still over the current cap.

It is just difficult.

This is why I'd move Marner. Cap is just hell for the Leafs.

Are you out of your mind in saying lets move Marner? He is the one player on the Leafs that I would never trade even if he is overpaid. He is everthing that is right about being a professional hockey player and is such a great role model to all fans and especially young fans and does nothing but good work for less fortunate people in this world. Come on, you need to stand back and admire him as it is not all about money in this world.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.
Are you out of your mind in saying lets move Marner? He is the one player on the Leafs that I would never trade even if he is overpaid. He is everthing that is right about being a professional hockey player and is such a great role model to all fans and especially young fans and does nothing but good work for less fortunate people in this world. Come on, you need to stand back and admire him as it is not all about money in this world.

Well. I'd like to keep him at 9 million per year. It would give the Leafs some cap flexibility. And in the end, only winning counts in hockey and he can still do the good work when he plays for another team. Hyman is a great role model too, so is Morgan Rielly. And they might struggle to keep those guys around without cap room

Saying it is not all about money. You could have told him that when he had his contract extended.

PK Subban payed like 10m for a childrens hospital in Montreal and was moved shortly after.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Well. I'd like to keep him at 9 million per year. It would give the Leafs some cap flexibility. And in the end, only winning counts in hockey and he can still do the good work when he plays for another team. Hyman is a great role model too, so is Morgan Rielly. And they might struggle to keep those guys around without cap room

Saying it is not all about money. You could have told him that when he had his contract extended.

PK Subban payed like 10m for a childrens hospital in Montreal and was moved shortly after.

Subban was moved because he thinks he is a rock star and celebrity and thinks he is now more important than his teammates. He is going to out of the league in near future as teams do not want to put up with inflated ego.

What you do not understand about Marner is that he is actually more valuable than Matthews and Tavares in that he can play 5x5, PP AND KILL PENALTIES and is superliked by all his teammates. In the long run, no one is going to care if the Leafs overpaid a 22 year old by $1,000,000 who in on pace for over 90 points a year.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
Subban was moved because he thinks he is a rock star and celebrity and thinks he is now more important than his teammates. He is going to out of the league in near future as teams do not want to put up with inflated ego.

What you do not understand about Marner is that he is actually more valuable than Matthews and Tavares in that he can play 5x5, PP AND KILL PENALTIES and is superliked by all his teammates. In the long run, no one is going to care if the Leafs overpaid a 22 year old by $1,000,000 who in on pace for over 90 points a year.

Just stop it there. Saying he is more valuable than Matthews. If you offer Matthews to every team in the league, temas would accept a Matthews for almost every player.

If you'd offer Marner to Dallas for Heiskanen, they say no. If you offer im to Buffalo for Dahlin. They say no. And many more teams say no. points are not everything in hockey. How do you know how teammates like each other? They overpaied him more by 2 million.

Don't be one of those who think it matter so much to players if they play for their hometown team
Jul. 16, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
Pass on that term for Andersen
Jul. 16, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.
Edited Jul. 16, 2020 at 6:38 p.m.
Just stop it there. Saying he is more valuable than Matthews. If you offer Matthews to every team in the league, temas would accept a Matthews for almost every player.

If you'd offer Marner to Dallas for Heiskanen, they say no. If you offer im to Buffalo for Dahlin. They say no. And many more teams say no. points are not everything in hockey. How do you know how teammates like each other? They overpaied him more by 2 million.

Don't be one of those who think it matter so much to players if they play for their hometown team

Gordon, i have been following Marner since his London Knights days. There is also a fantastic video about him following him as a 5 years old up to the London Knights. Marner had head to head battles with McDavid for a lot of years in minor hockey but then McDavid moved ahead because he kept growing and Marner stopped as a kid for a few years. However, you need to compare what Marner achieved in junior hockey vs McDavid and McDavid still has not won anything but individual awards. Do me a favour and google Mitch Marner awards won in last year of junior hockey and tell me if you know of one other hockey player in the NHL who won that many awards in one year of junior hockey.

If Marner was on any other team and a little bigger in size he would get alot more respect from guys like you. He is without a doubt a franchise player for the Leafs and any other team in the NHL and to my mind, i consider him a generational player to the Leafs as they have not had a player like him for a generation. At the end of the day, he is going to help the Leafs win a number of cups and then guys like you will give him the respect he deserves.

You mention Heiskanen and Dahlin like you worship them, and do not get me wrong as they are good young players but have not really done much yet. To be honest i would take Quinn Hughes over both those players. You need to get real and realize that Marner is really a 90 to 100 point player for the Leafs which you clearly do not appreciate. Marner led team is points in his second and third years in NHL and would have lead the team in points in his first year in NHL if he was not sick for part of year and YES HE HAD MORE POINTS THAN MATTHEWS IN THEIR FIRST 3 YEARS IN THE NHL.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 6:29 p.m.

@MitchMarnerElite Can you take a look at these comments and offer your honest response as I do think you actually know Marner better than most of the other viewers on this site.
Jul. 17, 2020 at 4:36 a.m.
Gordon, i have been following Marner since his London Knights days. There is also a fantastic video about him following him as a 5 years old up to the London Knights. Marner had head to head battles with McDavid for a lot of years in minor hockey but then McDavid moved ahead because he kept growing and Marner stopped as a kid for a few years. However, you need to compare what Marner achieved in junior hockey vs McDavid and McDavid still has not won anything but individual awards. Do me a favour and google Mitch Marner awards won in last year of junior hockey and tell me if you know of one other hockey player in the NHL who won that many awards in one year of junior hockey.

If Marner was on any other team and a little bigger in size he would get alot more respect from guys like you. He is without a doubt a franchise player for the Leafs and any other team in the NHL and to my mind, i consider him a generational player to the Leafs as they have not had a player like him for a generation. At the end of the day, he is going to help the Leafs win a number of cups and then guys like you will give him the respect he deserves.

You mention Heiskanen and Dahlin like you worship them, and do not get me wrong as they are good young players but have not really done much yet. To be honest i would take Quinn Hughes over both those players. You need to get real and realize that Marner is really a 90 to 100 point player for the Leafs which you clearly do not appreciate. Marner led team is points in his second and third years in NHL and would have lead the team in points in his first year in NHL if he was not sick for part of year and YES HE HAD MORE POINTS THAN MATTHEWS IN THEIR FIRST 3 YEARS IN THE NHL.

Well, Marner is 4cm shorter than McDavid, so this is clearly not what is setting them appart. That he is from the area and so on is just not relevant. Also, he had so many awards, because players like McDavid played in the NHL right after they got drafted. And in terms of junior hockey success, no one will ever be better than Taylor Hall I think.

It is not that I do not like Marner, it is that I don't like Marner at hit salary. Every player should be measured according to their salary. And while I say Marner plays well on special teams, I am many times a bit frustrated with his play 5vs5. too many giveaways, sometimes the effort does not always look great and the last playoffs were very bad.

I would love Marner at 8.5-9m per year. Don't just look at the numbers, as players like Draisaitel outperform him there a lot on a lot better deals
Jul. 17, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
Banned
@MitchMarnerElite Can you take a look at these comments and offer your honest response as I do think you actually know Marner better than most of the other viewers on this site.

I gotta be honest, I don’t think Marner’s teammates really like him, or even respect him. Before the contract situation, they probably did but now, I really don’t feel that way. He has shown that he is selfish, lazy & not in it for the team. IDK how many half-a*sed efforts I saw from him this season but the intensity was just not there. His poor performances were IMO, the biggest reason to the Leafs’ struggles. You need your top guys to set an example for the rest of the team & he just hasn’t done that. If he continues to be underwhelming this postseason, I can see a trade coming.
Jul. 17, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
I gotta be honest, I don’t think Marner’s teammates really like him, or even respect him. Before the contract situation, they probably did but now, I really don’t feel that way. He has shown that he is selfish, lazy & not in it for the team. IDK how many half-a*sed efforts I saw from him this season but the intensity was just not there. His poor performances were IMO, the biggest reason to the Leafs’ struggles. You need your top guys to set an example for the rest of the team & he just hasn’t done that. If he continues to be underwhelming this postseason, I can see a trade coming.

You have to be careful. Some Leafs fans have that weird emotional connection to Marner and do not accept any kind of critique smile and when you say that he is not worth the money they understand you saying that he is a 4th liner.

Also, I don't have that nation based thing that they have to be from Ontario or Canada and so on, because I grew up idolizing this bold guy who was growing up in Sweden. For me he was more blue and white than probably anybody.

I think there are some where you can really see that they want to be Maple Leafs. Hyman comes to my mind, but not a lot of players are. For most players, hockey is a business and they sign where they see the best opportunity.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:45 a.m.
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite

Sounds like more anti-Marner comments coming from really a Penguins fan who is extremely jealous of Marner and the Leafs just to get a reaction.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:47 a.m.
You have to be careful. Some Leafs fans have that weird emotional connection to Marner and do not accept any kind of critique smile and when you say that he is not worth the money they understand you saying that he is a 4th liner.

Also, I don't have that nation based thing that they have to be from Ontario or Canada and so on, because I grew up idolizing this bold guy who was growing up in Sweden. For me he was more blue and white than probably anybody.

I think there are some where you can really see that they want to be Maple Leafs. Hyman comes to my mind, but not a lot of players are. For most players, hockey is a business and they sign where they see the best opportunity.

Do you honestly think Marner does not want to be a Mpale Leaf? He has idolized the Leafs since he was 5 years old. Have no idea how you can make these kind of statements.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 4:11 a.m.
Do you honestly think Marner does not want to be a Mpale Leaf? He has idolized the Leafs since he was 5 years old. Have no idea how you can make these kind of statements.

Not saying that he does not want to, but I think his contract showed that playing for the Leafs has no real value to him. I don't think he could have gotten more money elsewhere. He got as much as he could from the Leafs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll