Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Buffalo earn a wild card spot if

Young players keep getting better

Jeff Skinner has a bounce back year

Olofsson plays on the same level as last season

If they can upgrade their top 6

If players buy into the Ralph Krueger philosophy
(I think he is a great coach and great person. Would recommend his book "team life")

Florida has a lof of RFAs and UFAs, so they might be weaker next season
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$81,500,000$48,504,167$1,487,500$3,487,500$32,995,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 18, 2020 at 6:45 a.m.
I will admit not being a buffalo fan in anyway Kruger is a terrific coach. I loved him in Edmonton just because of how supportive he is and he doesn’t force systems on teams that don’t have the tools to accomplish the system. Had he stayed in Edmonton YAK might have actually planned out. That’s actually an option buffalo should look at. Having a supportive coach can make the world of a difference. I’d honestly rank Kruger among the best coach’s in the league without question.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 6:51 a.m.
I really don’t think buffalo needs a lot to jump from basement to contender. Last season they did get screwed because of an injury. Upgrade back up, tweak the blueline alittle and just an ok 2nd line centre and playoff bound in my opinion.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 8:31 a.m.
They have already upgraded their biggest hole. Replacing the clueless gm with a guy who has never done the job before is still somehow better. A 2c would make a world of difference. Unfortunately after years of terrible drafting, zero player development, a pending cap crunch, a leaguewide reputation as being a clown show meaning no player with any say is coming here, and the equally clueless billionaire owners who are now questioning "exactly how much money do we want to lose on this team?"- well theres no guarantees this gets better any time soon.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
I will admit not being a buffalo fan in anyway Kruger is a terrific coach. I loved him in Edmonton just because of how supportive he is and he doesn’t force systems on teams that don’t have the tools to accomplish the system. Had he stayed in Edmonton YAK might have actually planned out. That’s actually an option buffalo should look at. Having a supportive coach can make the world of a difference. I’d honestly rank Kruger among the best coach’s in the league without question.

Ralph Krueger is a terrific person and motivator. I don't think there are many people as charismatic as he is. And he also not a bad coach, leader and team builder.
Timmah007 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Outside perspective; imo BUFs core is actually really solid. Eichel/cozens/mitts (if he can bounce back) is good young deep C depth. Olofsson had a great development year, skinner despite the down year has proven his a deadly goal scorer in this league, Reinhart is a really solid low end RW1. The defense imo is solid on paper. Goaltending is questionable, assume Sabre fans are waiting on pekka? Johansson is such an underrated player. Add in a legit RW2 and fill in the rest of the forward group with the right pieces and I think buffalo has a solid team. It’s weird, they act as the opposite as the panthers. Sabres always come flying out the gate and fans think this is finally the year they make the next step in the rebuild and all of a sudden they hit a wall and finish 10-13 in the conference. Feel like that cycle has been going on the past 3-4 seasons.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
They would have been easily a wild card team this year IF:
Hutton does not go blind and have a 12 game stretch of 0-8-4.
If Skinner was allowed to play with Jack and get his 30 goals.
If we actually had a good coach who did not allow Sheary, Rodrigues and Vesey to all have their worse career years.
If we actually had a good coach who know how to coach a PK.
If we actually had a good coach who know how to coach a PP.
Did I mention if we actually had a good coach who knew how to put together lines. Really playing last year's top goal scorer (Skinner) with Sobotka, Lazar, Vesey, Larsson, Simmonds, Rodrigues, Asplund, and lets not forget Frolik nearly 50% of the time. How many great coaches would do that?
BTW did I mention if we actually had a coach and not a cheer leader.
I am sure I will be lambasted for this, but think how many coaches would allow any of those to happen in a single year.
Sabres923 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 11:47 a.m.
Quoting: ngikas
Outside perspective; imo BUFs core is actually really solid. Eichel/cozens/mitts (if he can bounce back) is good young deep C depth. Olofsson had a great development year, skinner despite the down year has proven his a deadly goal scorer in this league, Reinhart is a really solid low end RW1. The defense imo is solid on paper. Goaltending is questionable, assume Sabre fans are waiting on pekka? Johansson is such an underrated player. Add in a legit RW2 and fill in the rest of the forward group with the right pieces and I think buffalo has a solid team. It’s weird, they act as the opposite as the panthers. Sabres always come flying out the gate and fans think this is finally the year they make the next step in the rebuild and all of a sudden they hit a wall and finish 10-13 in the conference. Feel like that cycle has been going on the past 3-4 seasons.

Well you must be wrong because all of this team building you mention happened when Botterill was the GM.
Just read some of the comments above, "Replacing the clueless gm with a guy who has never done the job before is still somehow better" a know nothing is better than Botterill.
BTW, if you have not noticed, I am being sarcastic.
ALL of the improvements you mentioned took place in the last 3 years.
You mention the defense, Jokiharju, Miller, Montour all Botterill.
Johansson, Lazar, Gilmour, Hammond Dea were all under the radar picks that were meant to add veteran leadership in Buffalo and Rochester.
Thank you for your outsider perspective, I could not agree more. Unfortunately most fans read our know nothing press to form their opinions.
IMO if Kevyn Adams:
let's Mittelstadt and Cozens develop
adds another player equal to or better than Cozens,
moves a RHD for a LHD of equal capabilities,
sign a mid six forward (there are many available)
the Sabres will be in the playoffs soon.

EDIT:
OMG, you are a Bruins fan, no wonder you recognize a good team in the making! LOL
Go Bruins, I absolutely love watching Bergeron. Marchand may be a rat, but he is the reason Pastrnak gets his goals. Rask really let me down in game 7, I am sorry.
ngikas liked this.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
@gretzkyghosts i think the big issue with the former GM was how him and the coach lost control of eichel. Ownership picked the side of the player instead of the guys who get paid to create the team. It would be hard to get anything done in any business when the owner picks the employees side over the managers. But maybe a fresh slate is what the team needs. As long as the new gm doesn’t come in and try to restructure the core and restart the rebuild I can see the Sabres being a playoff team in a couple years.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
I really don’t think buffalo needs a lot to jump from basement to contender. Last season they did get screwed because of an injury. Upgrade back up, tweak the blueline alittle and just an ok 2nd line centre and playoff bound in my opinion.

The same coach that put Jeff Skinner with Curtis Lazar. I’m not that high on Krueger yet.. he would constantly bench Dahlin for one turnover. Playing Zach Bogosian over Colin Miller. Plus having the top 3 scorers on one line doesn’t help either.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: ngikas
@gretzkyghosts i think the big issue with the former GM was how him and the coach lost control of eichel. Ownership picked the side of the player instead of the guys who get paid to create the team. It would be hard to get anything done in any business when the owner picks the employees side over the managers. But maybe a fresh slate is what the team needs. As long as the new gm doesn’t come in and try to restructure the core and restart the rebuild I can see the Sabres being a playoff team in a couple years.

OK, wait a minute, where did you get your information that Jack is the problem?
I am not denying it, I cannot say from where I got the same information.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres923
The same coach that put Jeff Skinner with Curtis Lazar. I’m not that high on Krueger yet.. he would constantly bench Dahlin for one turnover. Playing Zach Bogosian over Colin Miller. Plus having the top 3 scorers on one line doesn’t help either.

OMW, I thought I was the only person in the world who recognized that in the NHL one needs a coach and not a cheer leader.
LOL, I never heard any one call Scotty Bowman a "cheerleader".
Thank you for posting this.

EDIT:
You can read my full thoughts here:
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/342771?post_id=1564800
Sabres923 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
OK, wait a minute, where did you get your information that Jack is the problem?
I am not denying it, I cannot say from where I got the same information.

Like there’s been articles speculating that he wasn’t happy with management and coaching. Nothing actually confirming it. Mostly from people who would pick apart his comments in interviews and create that speculation.
Jul. 18, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
Sabres are elite
If we fill the hole at 2nd line center and 2nd line RW and acquire a solid 1b goalie then we can really have a chance

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll