Cautious Cap ideas for summer

Created by: Seider53
Team: 2020-21 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 21, 2020
Published: Jul. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Explanation:
I want to be a bit more optimistic than this and look for more value in exchange for cap space. But I wanted to see how a more conservative approach looked.
For Toronto: This is pretty self explanatory (debatably could use a lower pick, but I would be fine using a 3rd for a shot at a guy who could be decent on our top 6.)
For Carolina: Explained in Trade. We have seen plenty of similar deals in the past, 3rd seems to be the going rate for a guy like Svech, I don't like the deal, but I wouldn't be unhappy with getting another pick.
Arizona: I like bringing in Stepan as a 2C, and this gives Arizona cap room to make a run at Hall. The cost for taking him on should end up a 2nd and 4th, as him, Johnsson and Zadina should result in him getting more than 40pts. Again, I would like a higher return, but I would be satisfied with this. I think Stepan could be resigned below his current value and provide some experience and leadership. If he buys into the rebuild he could be a very valuable 2/3C once our bad contracts are off the roster.
Johansson deal: Sabres fans seem to propose this one. I like giving him a shot at the AHL starting job this year, if it works out giving him a shot to back up Greiss the year after. The pick means Detroit gets some value even if he doesn't prove to be anything special.
New Jersey: Least sure on this deal. I feel NJ's biggest need is a #1D, as there is a steep dropoff in D after Drysdale (debatably Sanderson, but his offensive ceiling is much lower.) They might want to secure him, Cholo needs a change of scenery IMO. Detroit in return gets one of the crop of top 10 Forwards, all of whom would be good choices (I would want Perfetti) at 7. And pick up a mid first.
Vancouver: Goalie value is too mirky, Demko is nice, the bickering about how he affects value isn't. a '21 1st should be perfectly acceptable for taking on Eriksson (again, I personally would like more, but this would still be ok.)

Detroit: Still $4.5mil in cap space to take on a dump at the deadline assuming someone needs space to make a run. Should have an excess of $15 million next offseason, more if Abby takes the hint and retires. Finish 31st, pick 4th and take one of the D-Men.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
2$1,350,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
7$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
2$3,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Hirose, Taro
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
(3rd pick in the round. Basically a late 2nd.)
DET
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Svechnikov, Evgeny
Additional Details:
Re-uniting the brothers gives Svech the best shot of making the NHL. Williams likely retires, Svech gets a chance at taking his spot.
DET
  1. Stepan, Derek
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (ARI)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
2021 pick conditional on Stepan's play, drops to a 4th if Stepan exceeds 40pts
ARI
    Future Considerations.
    DET
    1. Johansson, Jonas [RFA Rights]
    2. 2022 4th round pick (BUF)
    Additional Details:
    Pick exchanged only if Johansson has played fewer than 10 NHL games before the 2022 draft.
    BUF
    1. Helm, Darren ($1,925,000 retained)
    DET
    1. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
    EDM
    1. Glendening, Luke ($900,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    2020 trade deadline
    DET
    1. 2020 1st round pick (NJD)
    2. 2020 1st round pick (ARI)
    Additional Details:
    New Jersey Secures 4 to select Drysdale, their much needed #1, and adds Cholowski to develop into a #4/5 guy with PP time.
    NJD
    1. Cholowski, Dennis
    2. 2020 1st round pick (DET)
    Additional Details:
    Detroit trades back to select Perfetti, and acquires the later of NJ's other 2 firsts (I don't see Arizona or Vancouver making a hugely deep run, so this is likely late teens.) I would love to see it turn into Askarov picked at 11/12, but then NJ definitely turns this down if the pick is that high.
    DET
    1. Eriksson, Loui
    2. 2021 1st round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    I personally see the return for taking Eriksson as being higher than this, but this would be satisfactory.
    VAN
    DET
    1. Johnson, Jack
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
    3. 2022 2nd round pick (PIT)
    PIT
      Future Considerations.
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the DET
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$73,475,833$0$1,140,000$8,024,167

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      C
      UFA - 3
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $900,000$900,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $875,000$875,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $900,000$900,000
      C, LW
      UFA
      $6,083,333$6,083,333
      C
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 8:16 a.m.
      Carolina decline. Morgan Geekie is already challenging for his spot, and Williams isn't retired. We're not coughing up a 3rd for a spare part
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 8:42 a.m.
      Quoting: Caniac2000
      Carolina decline. Morgan Geekie is already challenging for his spot, and Williams isn't retired. We're not coughing up a 3rd for a spare part

I think it would work as a deal to any team with the space. I am curious as to whether there is added interest in Carolina, because the presence of Andrei would, I imagine give Evgeny the best chance to succeed. He was a great prospect with some really bad injury luck, that I think just needs the right circumstances to get him to the point of being a solid middle 6er. Though I can't say I know the Canes' bottom/middle 6 well.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
      Most teams would easily say no:
      Toronto
      Carolina (Svechnikov struggles to ever become an NHL winger. There is litte production in the AHL)
      Buffalo (just a no)
      New Jersey (why should they do that? Behind the top 3, the gap between 4-10 is very small) If they had the 4th pick, they would go with Raymond I think, but to trade up to get him. They can just sit there and wait and pick either Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale or Holtz and I don't think that is worth trading up at that price.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.
      Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
      Most teams would easily say no:
      Toronto
      Carolina (Svechnikov struggles to ever become an NHL winger. There is litte production in the AHL)
      Buffalo (just a no)
      New Jersey (why should they do that? Behind the top 3, the gap between 4-10 is very small) If they had the 4th pick, they would go with Raymond I think, but to trade up to get him. They can just sit there and wait and pick either Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale or Holtz and I don't think that is worth trading up at that price.

My thought behind the New Jersey trade, is that I dont think a D-man makes it past Anaheim, and trading up to 4 secures their choice of Sanderson or Drysdale, who are the best D in the draft by a long way, which is an organisational need. It's drafting by position, but someone always seems to do it, and the first D in the draft rarely slides to #7.
      The Buffalo trade is one that I have seen frequently from Buffalo fans, that is the basis for proposing it, as personally I hadn't given it much thought as an option.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
      Quoting: Seider53
      My thought behind the New Jersey trade, is that I dont think a D-man makes it past Anaheim, and trading up to 4 secures their choice of Sanderson or Drysdale, who are the best D in the draft by a long way, which is an organisational need. It's drafting by position, but someone always seems to do it, and the first D in the draft rarely slides to #7.
      The Buffalo trade is one that I have seen frequently from Buffalo fans, that is the basis for proposing it, as personally I hadn't given it much thought as an option.

While you are not wrong, I am not very high on both Sanderson and Drysdale. And there are a lot of Ds avalaible in free agency with most competitive teams not having cap space to sign them. I think the best case for them would be to get Holtz with their first pick (I think Raymond will be gone) and trade down some spots with the 11th pick to get Noel Gunler. Would both be excelent picks. for their young centres.

Holtz is not as good as Raymond, but he has the highest point total in the SHL at his age after Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg.

Also, drafting like that would allow them to trade away Palmieri at the deadline to get more assets (he should get a good return, even as a rental
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:13 a.m.
      Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
      While you are not wrong, I am not very high on both Sanderson and Drysdale. And there are a lot of Ds avalaible in free agency with most competitive teams not having cap space to sign them. I think the best case for them would be to get Holtz with their first pick (I think Raymond will be gone) and trade down some spots with the 11th pick to get Noel Gunler. Would both be excelent picks. for their young centres.

Holtz is not as good as Raymond, but he has the highest point total in the SHL at his age after Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg.

Also, drafting like that would allow them to trade away Palmieri at the deadline to get more assets (he should get a good return, even as a rental

Agreed, and personally, I would be perfectly happy picking at 4. This is why I'm not very certain about the NJ trade. I think it could be justified for sure, while I have seen some people asking for NJ's top 2 picks in the 1st, I think taking their own, and the later one makes it a safer option for them. Their middle pick will likely be in the teens, where they can grab a great forward to go along with Drysdale.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:15 a.m.
      I’d like the Toronto trade but most Leafs fans seem to want a 2nd, which I wouldn’t be willing to give up. I also really like Hirose so I’d like to hold on to him.

For Svech, I think we give him one more chance to make our bottom 6 this season and if he doesn’t make our roster, we trade him. Probably will get a 4th or 5th.

I’ve seen this Buffalo trade in almost every Buffalo ACGM minus the pick. Maybe a later pick with the same condition would be more acceptable for Buffalo fans.

I kind of doubt that NJ does this.

I agree with you that you could add a mid-round pick to the Eriksson trade.

JJ trade might work but Pittsburgh fans will hate this.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
      I could see a deal with Pittsburgh and Vancouver, maybe Arizona.

Tbh, Detroit or Ottawa should pin Vancouver and Arizona against each other. See who offers more to take on Eriksson and Sutter or a combo of Stepan, Raanta, and Demers. Arizona’s crew has more value but you can only afford to help one team. Vancouver might pony up.

I don’t see the other deals. A Carolina deal would be around Reimer or Mrazek for Svechnikov. The Canes will have plenty of bottom 6 depth so I don’t see them trading for more of it, unless it is to move out money.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
      Quoting: redwingsfan04
      I’d like the Toronto trade but most Leafs fans seem to want a 2nd, which I wouldn’t be willing to give up. I also really like Hirose so I’d like to hold on to him.

For Svech, I think we give him one more chance to make our bottom 6 this season and if he doesn’t make our roster, we trade him. Probably will get a 4th or 5th.

I’ve seen this Buffalo trade in almost every Buffalo ACGM minus the pick. Maybe a later pick with the same condition would be more acceptable for Buffalo fans.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much agreement on draft pick and cap dump trades, so I have tried to split them down the middle to see what the result is. New Jersey definitely doesnt do #4 and Cholowski for #7 and #11, but if Vancouver makes the playoffs that becomes #4 and Cholo for #7 and #20(ish) I think that's an intruiging option.
      redwingsfan04 liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
      Quoting: ecupirate07
      I could see a deal with Pittsburgh and Vancouver, maybe Arizona.

Tbh, Detroit or Ottawa should pin Vancouver and Arizona against each other. See who offers more to take on Eriksson and Sutter or a combo of Stepan, Raanta, and Demers. Arizona’s crew has more value but you can only afford to help one team. Vancouver might pony up.

I don’t see the other deals. A Carolina deal would be around Reimer or Mrazek for Svechnikov. The Canes will have plenty of bottom 6 depth so I don’t see them trading for more of it, unless it is to move out money.

I think the cap dump situation you describe with Ottawa and Detroit won't be far away from what will happen. Only them, New Jersey and LA have the cap room to take on contracts (and are far enough out that theyre probably not going after big name FAs) so the value of cap space will be driven up by a lack of supply. That I think is why any cap dump trades above are on the cautious side of things.
      ecupirate07 liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
      There certainly doesn't seem to be much agreement on draft pick and cap dump trades, so I have tried to split them down the middle to see what the result is. New Jersey definitely doesnt do #4 and Cholowski for #7 and #11, but if Vancouver makes the playoffs that becomes #4 and Cholo for #7 and #20(ish) I think that's an intruiging option.

I agree on the cap dumps. Some Detroit fans seem to want a first for any player making over 2 mil even if they’re good and some fans of other teams just over scraps to take on terrible contracts. No ones willing to meet in the middle.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
      I agree on the cap dumps. Some Detroit fans seem to want a first for any player making over 2 mil even if they’re good and some fans of other teams just over scraps to take on terrible contracts. No ones willing to meet in the middle.

The moderate options Im suggesting still have us with 17 picks in the first 3 rounds between the '20 and '21 draft and thats before any shenegans in the '21 offseason. I would love to have 4 1sts in 2022, but that doesn't happen outside of video games.
      As for draft pick trades, last year Arizona got pick 11 for 14 and 45, so moved up 3 spots in the mid first for 45. 3 spots in the early 1st for a pick in the late teens/20s seems fair value.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
      The moderate options Im suggesting still have us with 17 picks in the first 3 rounds between the '20 and '21 draft and thats before any shenegans in the '21 offseason. I would love to have 4 1sts in 2022, but that doesn't happen outside of video games.
      As for draft pick trades, last year Arizona got pick 11 for 14 and 45, so moved up 3 spots in the mid first for 45. 3 spots in the early 1st for a pick in the late teens/20s seems fair value.

Adding to this, if Arizona win a playoff round and resign Hall they get their 1st in 2021 too. If that happens I could see New Jersey being more keen on this kind of deal.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:39 a.m.
      I think the cap dump situation you describe with Ottawa and Detroit won't be far away from what will happen. Only them, New Jersey and LA have the cap room to take on contracts (and are far enough out that theyre probably not going after big name FAs) so the value of cap space will be driven up by a lack of supply. That I think is why any cap dump trades above are on the cautious side of things.

If I was NJ, Ottawa or Detroit, Arizona or Carolina is my target for cap acquisitions.
      Arizona has Stepan, Raanta, and Demers that they may move to make space for Hall. The later especially, all are good pieces on one year deals that can have flash in the pan seasons and be valuable trade deadline acquisitions for someone else. More prospect capital for the future or you can keep any of them long term. Stepan the least likely of the bunch.

Carolina has Dzingel and Mrazek/Reimer. Dzingel had a down season but is capable of a strong one. Reimer/Mrazek arent Raanta but are capable of strong seasons that a team could covet at the deadline.

Long term players like Johnsson or Dermott from would be an okay addition
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 9:47 a.m.
      I think it would work as a deal to any team with the space. I am curious as to whether there is added interest in Carolina, because the presence of Andrei would, I imagine give Evgeny the best chance to succeed. He was a great prospect with some really bad injury luck, that I think just needs the right circumstances to get him to the point of being a solid middle 6er. Though I can't say I know the Canes' bottom/middle 6 well.

Carolina have 96 prospects who project to be bottom 6 guys. Not a spot we need filling long term. Plus Williams was playing top 6 minutes and Geekie has a 2/PPG rate going.
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 12:43 p.m.

This trade has been proposed by the same Buffalo fan multiple times. I think the value is right for the trade. However I am not sure the Sabres make this deal as I don't know what Helm brings to their lineup that they can't acquire without giving up an asset
      Jul. 21, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
      Quoting: dzmets
      This trade has been proposed by the same Buffalo fan multiple times. I think the value is right for the trade. However I am not sure the Sabres make this deal as I don't know what Helm brings to their lineup that they can't acquire without giving up an asset

The short answer is that it doesn't. Helm is a surprisingly good skater for a bottom 6 PK guy with limited offence. FWIW as a redwings fan I have always really liked him as a player, just not his contract.
      dzmets liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll