Forums/Armchair-GM

Trying to contend

Created by: gregb569
Team: 2020-21 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 22, 2020
Published: Jul. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jones hasn't been good since the 2017-2018 season.. In 103 games, he's posted a .896 save %.. league average is .910. Clearly something isn't working out and there are 0 teams in the NHL who would take that contract. Buy him out, it'll clear some cap.

LMK on Dadonov contract term/$.

Think PIT trade is fair (coming from a PIT fan mind you.) Jarry & Melnichuk could form a great young & cheap 1-2 punch.

Excuse the lines/depth. Not super familiar with SJ line combos and depth guys, feel free to tweak them in the comments.

IMO, this team can at least contend for the playoffs. I highly doubt they'll be able to start a rebuild in the next 2-3 due to their MASSIVE contracts on D coupled with the flat cap. IMO, best idea would be to try to contend cause why not, and when the cap starts to go up, those big contracts will have less years and teams will have more $ to spend, maybe start the rebuild then..
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$925,000
2$859,166
4$3,500,000
1$853,333
2$835,000
1$889,167
1$842,500
1$925,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$750,000
2$960,000
1$750,000
4$5,000,000
Trades
SJS
  1. Jarry, Tristan [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (COL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$73,512,499$0$1,082,500$7,987,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
G
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$960,000$960,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$859,166$859,166
LW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:06 a.m.
Billy739
i'm sure they'd rather give up Murray then Jarry

Jarry's got Potential
Murray after giving up a 2nd for VGK to take Fleury has never lived up to expectations .

besides Jarry and Desmith have a history playing Tandem successfully in the AHL and NHL
Keeping them together is cheaper and more serviceable while being more productive .
gregb569 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:08 a.m.
gregb569
Quoting: Billy739
i'm sure they'd rather give up Murray then Jarry

Jarry's got Potential
Murray after giving up a 2nd for VGK to take Fleury has never lived up to expectations .

besides Jarry and Desmith have a history playing Tandem successfully in the AHL and NHL
Keeping them together is cheaper and more serviceable while being more protective .

While I agree, Murray will be more expensive and idk if SJ can add his $ and still try to be half decent..
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:29 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: gregb569
While I agree, Murray will be more expensive and idk if SJ can add his $ and still try to be half decent..

Just trade Vlasic for a two 2nd, 3rd and a A level prospect
You'll save a ton of cap that way and be able to put together a tandem worthy of a playoff run

Vlasic seems like a prime target for a 3 way with someone like MTL who has Cap space and isnt afraid of paying salary.
Then ship him off to to a contender at 4.5m cap over the next 5 years .(VAN ,WPG, MIN and Seattle assuming they do as well as VGK did)

WPG seems like the most obvious choice to me given their needs and that they have no veteran Dcore leader left after losing Myers,Chiarot ,Trouba and Byfluglien the last 2 years
Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:32 a.m.
gregb569
Just trade Vlasic for a two 2nd, 3rd and a A level prospect
You'll save a ton of cap that way and be able to put together a tandem worthy of a playoff run

Vlasic seems like a prime target for a 3 way with someone like MTL who has Cap space and isnt afraid of paying salary.
Then ship him off to to a contender at 4.5m cap over the next 5 years .(VAN ,WPG, MIN and Seattle assuming they do as well as VGK did)

WPG seems like the most obvious choice to me given their needs and that they have no veteran Dcore leader left after losing Myers,Chiarot ,Trouba and Byfluglien the last 2 years

You really think someone would bit on Vlasics contract? Couple that with the fact he has a NMC, I think it would be extremely hard to move him let alone get anything back and not pay..
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:45 a.m.
Billy739
Edited Jul. 23, 2020 at 6:51 a.m.
You really think someone would bit on Vlasics contract? Couple that with the fact he has a NMC, I think it would be extremely hard to move him let alone get anything back and not pay..

Vlasic after SJS pays that 5m signing bonus whenever Free Agency starts this year actually doesnt have a horrible contract outside the NMC limiting trade options.

you are right about him having to agree which is why i think WPG is the spot for him as he'll be playing a bigger role with more minutes while mentoring the youth there. The other option is trade him to MTL in a deal as they'd take him at 4.5m cap ( a trade with seattle retaining could work if the price was right )

Kulak (MTL) , Two 2nd's ,3rd and Dahlen to Seattle to retain 2.5m for 5 years on Vlasic

Vlasic to MTL

7,9m cap cleared in the end for SJS

They bolster their aging roster for another 1-2 years of competitive playoff push.
The cost is not that bad because Seattle needs cap to help rich the league minimum taking away other teams leverage to ask to much more but after this year the cost will be back way way up
gregb569 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.
gregb569
Vlasic after SJS pays that 5m signing bonus whenever Free Agency starts this year actually doesnt have a horrible contract outside the NMC limiting trade options.

you are right about him having to agree which is why i think WPG is the spot for him as he'll be playing a bigger role with more minutes while mentoring the youth there. The other option is trade him to MTL in a deal as they'd take him at 4.5m cap ( a trade with seattle retaining could work if the price was right )

Kulak (MTL) , Two 2nd's ,3rd and Dahlen to Seattle to retain 2.5m for 5 years on Vlasic

Vlasic to MTL

They bolster their aging roster for another 1-2 years of competitive playoff push.
The cost is not that bad because Seattle needs cap to help rich the league minimum taking away other teams leverage to ask to much more but after this year the cost will be back way way up

True..

I think Seattle may be able to absolutely fleece teams man.. so many teams up against the cap, they could take so many bad contracts for picks it would be insane
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:02 a.m.

Vlasic to MTL

a cap hit of 7m till he is 39 years old is not a great contract.

Also, he did not have a great season

I think you would have a hard time to find a taker for Burns, Vlasic and Eriksson no matter what return you'd get. I don't think many GMs would take on those contracts even without giving up something.

Or you have to retain like half or their salary or something to get a return for them that is decent.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:04 a.m.
Subbanator

Vlasic to MTL

Vlasic at even 4.5 million is a huge no to MTL. The only way MTL takes on that albatross of a contract to add onto the albatross of contracts they have is is San Jose pays them to take him. Why give up the younger cheaper and just as good option in Kulak ontop of MULTIPLE PICKS.....for a player who is likely going to be in the AHL for the last 3 years of his contract, we already have Karl Alzner doing that, Bergevin wont make that mistake again
LumberJacques liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:05 a.m.
True..

I think Seattle may be able to absolutely fleece teams man.. so many teams up against the cap, they could take so many bad contracts for picks it would be insane

There are bad contracts and bad long contracts. Looking at Loui Eriksson. Bad contract for two years. That is managable.

Vlasic, Burns and Karlsson have bad contracts till summer 2026,2025 and 2027

Looka at Vegas. A couple years in the League and they have cap issues
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:06 a.m.
Billy739
Edited Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:19 a.m.
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Vlasic at even 4.5 million is a huge no to MTL. The only way MTL takes on that albatross of a contract to add onto the albatross of contracts they have is is San Jose pays them to take him. Why give up the younger cheaper and just as good option in Kulak ontop of MULTIPLE PICKS.....for a player who is likely going to be in the AHL for the last 3 years of his contract, we already have Karl Alzner doing that, Bergevin wont make that mistake again

Shhhh real MTL fan is talking there Subban Fanatic

Hows that Subban Deal ?
You swore up and down His deal was worth it and the best was yet to come ...

Shows what you can offer when it comes to contract value
you talked so much smack about Weber washing out but here he is solid as ever
PK on his 3rd team in 4 years likely to be traded again soon from what i hear.

its always funny to hear you talk about contract value when you thought for so long Subbans was fair value hahaha
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:09 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
a cap hit of 7m till he is 39 years old is not a great contract.

Also, he did not have a great season

I think you would have a hard time to find a taker for Burns, Vlasic and Eriksson no matter what return you'd get. I don't think many GMs would take on those contracts even without giving up something.

Or you have to retain like half or their salary or something to get a return for them that is decent.

or pay a team to retain said cap in a 3 way trade?

That's what i suggested and at 4.5m cap MTL can use him 2-3 years then trade him with the ability to retain up to 1m more if need be. Given what Kimmo Timmonen got at 39 coming straight off IR to his new team i'm sure Vlasic will be fine and we can flip him

SJS pays , MTL waits 2-3 years to flip him before they get anything more then what he'll provide on ice.

That said everyone said Weber to MTL was a loss then he showed up producing so well fans shut up about losing the Subban trade and now actually claim we won it .

Fans always say dumb stuff in MTL , its the sad part about being a Habs fan
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:22 a.m.

That's what i suggested and at 4.5m cap MTL can use him 2-3 years then trade him with the ability to retain up to 1m more if need be. Given what Kimmo Timmonen got at 39 coming straight off IR to his new team i'm sure Vlasic will be fine and we can flip him

SJS pays , MTL waits 2-3 years to flip him before they get anything more then what he'll provide on ice.

That said everyone said Weber to MTL was a loss then he showed up producing so well fans shut up about losing the Subban trade and now actually claim we won it .

It is too early to tell who won the Weber Subban trade.

Nashivlle still has a 2nd round pick and got a pick from New Jersey. If one of them turns out well, they have a chance of winning that trade, as they don't have a contract of either Weber or Subban and have better Ds than both Subban or Weber are, so they don't really need any of them. Nashville can still lose that trade, if Weber retires early. Montreal can still win that trade when they make it to the playoffs in the next years on a regular basis due to the performance of Weber
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:41 a.m.

I think it will be very hard to flip Vlasic in a couple of years. If I'm correct, players keep their NMC/NTC even after waiving it for a trade because of the new agreement. So if he waives now to go to MTL, he'll have his NMC at the Habs and is in full control again
Jul. 23, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
Subbanator
Shhhh real MTL fan is talking there Subban Fanatic

Hows that Subban Deal ?
You swore up and down His deal was worth it and the best was yet to come ...

Shows what you can offer when it comes to contract value
you talked so much smack about Weber washing out but here he is solid as ever
PK on his 3rd team in 4 years likely to be traded again soon from what i hear.

its always funny to hear you talk about contract value when you thought for so long Subbans was fair value hahaha

Literally said none of those things. You just assumed I did because of my name, not the wisest of choices. As far as the whole 'real habs fan' come on man, we're all fans and I dont spend my free time checking thousands of these posts and commenting on them if I wasnt.

Now just because you said something as stupid as the Habs taking on a horrible contract while giving up actually valuable assets doesnt mean you have to get all defensive and hysterical. Just realize that no team should be actually trading away pieces to take on a aging and decline Vlasic.
LumberJacques liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll