Forums/Armchair-GM

Please Read Before Making Trades with Detroit

Created by: redwingsfan04
Team: 2020-21 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2020
Published: Jul. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. We have a growing core of players that are near untouchable (only available through a massive overpay) just as any other team does. These players include Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Hronek and our top prospects (Seider, Veleno, etc.). Please don't try to make trades for them unless you're willing to severely overpay. Note: (I've mainly been seeing Mantha and Hronek trades).

2. Obviously Detroit sucks but we only have several holes that we desperately need to fill before next season. We need a 2C, a LHD, and a G. We can pick up a goalie or LHD for cheap in either FA or the trade market so we won't break the bank to acquire any of these players. We will need to give up more for a 2C, but we can target someone on either a bad contract or a player on a team that needs cap relief to diminish the assets we lose. Aside from these main positions, we won't give up any high draft picks for players unless they're young and fit into our future. Please stop giving us your players that don't address one of our major needs and don't fit into our future. Just because we're bad doesn't justify making these kind of trades since we're rebuilding and have extremely low expectations. There is no quick fix to this team so we need all the prospects and draft capital we can.

3. We don't want your overpaid players for nothing. Even if the players are still decent, if they don't fill a need (see point 2) we don't want them. We should use this cap space to be compensated for taking on cap dumps rather than acquiring guys that may help our team a little but not significantly. Also, I don't care about how much real money players are owed. Detroit is fine financially so all we care about is the cap hit.

To summarize, Detroit is rebuilding teams, and rebuilding teams build around their young players, acquire draft picks (don't trade draft picks), etc. Detroit is no exception.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$81,500,000$44,759,166$0$1,140,000$36,740,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 1
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2020 at 10:52 p.m.
arky
Amen and well put.
redwingsfan04 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 10:54 p.m.
I feel bad for wings fans who have to see Moore, Chiasson, Peureualt, Russel, De Haan, Maata etc being dumped on them. Their useless players
Jul. 26, 2020 at 10:56 p.m.
Quoting: keep_ups12
I feel bad for wings fans who have to see Moore, Chiasson, Peureualt, Russel, De Haan, Maata etc being dumped on them. Their useless players

Lol, that’s just the start of the list.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 10:59 p.m.

Maatta and De Haan both arent useless and had a positive impact toward the end of the season, plus they fill a need claimed in the description, so I dont really see the problem there, unless the cost is anything more than a 3rd rounder.
aedoran liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

These players aren’t useless by any means, but it obviously depends on the needs of the team acquiring them or what the cost/added value is.
MisstheWhalers and Wilbur liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:02 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

I can never feel bad for wings fans, give me the runs and talent they seen in 25 years, and I would trade 25 years of bubble or worse hockey. They sent my jets to Phoenix, but damn was that a squad, most underrated dman of all time konstantinov, and hall of famers every else.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
I can never feel bad for wings fans, give me the runs and talent they seen in 25 years, and I would trade 25 years of bubble or worse hockey. They sent my jets to Phoenix, but damn was that a squad, most underrated dman of all time konstantinov, and hall of famers every else.

Detroit has had a lot of success over the years and we were long due for a nice long rebuild. I’m just getting sick of the unrealistic trades where I feel like I comment the same thing in at least 2-3 ACGM per dat
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:12 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: redwingsfan04
Detroit has had a lot of success over the years and we were long due for a nice long rebuild. I’m just getting sick of the unrealistic trades where I feel like I comment the same thing in at least 2-3 ACGM per dat

I hear ya there, there’s a plan, not going to be deviated by cast offs from other squads. I’m not sure if everybody realizes which side the draftpicks are on a capdump
redwingsfan04 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
Rangers 2023

None of them besides moore and russell are useless
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
These players aren’t useless by any means, but it obviously depends on the needs of the team acquiring them or what the cost/added value is.

I mean for their cap hit it's pretty bad. maata and De haan are overpaid. I don't know how you can call any other player their useful

Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

yes. cause Detroit's needs more overpaid depth player to help there team win right? gotcha
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:23 p.m.
Rangers 2023
yes. cause Detroit's needs more overpaid depth player to help there team win right? gotcha

When in my comment did I say that they would be good trade targets? Get a grip
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:24 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Word
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
I mean for their cap hit it's pretty bad. maata and De haan are overpaid. I don't know how you can call any other player their useful

Teams bring in veterans all the time even if they’re not supposed to be competitive
Jul. 27, 2020 at 1:20 a.m.

Chiasson is far from useless, he was very effective as a net front presence on the 2nd best power play in NHL HISTORY. He played an important role, no matter what your opinion of the player is. He is also a Stanley Cup champion and well-liked by coaches and teammates, that means something in the real NHL.

Also, Detroit is allergic to Right-handed Wingers. There are none in the entire organization.

Russell is overpriced, but he is an excellent skater, very small, but knocks down guys up to 40lbs and 5" taller on a regular basis.. He is another very well-respected vet and only costs $1.5 million in real money next season, that has appeal in real life.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 1:33 a.m.
Because redwingsfan04 has job to do and that is to tell everyone who comments on his team how dumb they are.

Where the hell are the first 3 redwingsfans in all of this? Clearly redwingsfan04 is overworked because those "fans" are obviously not pulling their weight.

Hopefully a 5th or 6th shows up; geez it must be bloody exhausting trying to educate so many dummies......
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:27 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
Maatta and De Haan both arent useless and had a positive impact toward the end of the season, plus they fill a need claimed in the description, so I dont really see the problem there, unless the cost is anything more than a 3rd rounder.

I think Maatta might be the slowest player in the league he barley moves faster than the net.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:41 a.m.
Pop Pop

Id take maata in a second on this team
Jul. 27, 2020 at 5:41 a.m.
Quoting: redwingsfan04
I can see Detroit trading draft picks....to LA for a swap of #2 and #4....where LA wants Drysdale because they are so stacked with young forwards. And it would cost a lot to do--but would be one of those deals that benefits both clubs. Detroit has guys that project as 2nd line players (Fabbri, Zadina, Veleno, even arguably Larkin or Bertuzzi) and 3rd liners (Rasmussen, Jonatan Berggren, Robert Mastrosimone/Albin Grewe/Dmytro Timashov/Mathias Brome) but needs more top end talent rather than top 6 guys.

Beyond that, the LHD will be addressed in UFA. Do they make a run at Torey Krug or settle for a lower pairing guy like Joel Edmundson? or do they look for an older vet player on a 1 year deal?

Goalie situation will be addressed via trade or UFA. Think Jake Allen as their 1st option then Matt Murray/Tristan Jarry as option 2. Teams are going to want to get rid of cap space or get something rather than lose these guys to Seattle for nothing. Goalies on the market (via trade or UFA) should be Allen, Tristan Jarry/Matt Murray, Lehner/Marc-Andre Fleury (if Vegas chooses Lehner), Corey Crawford (if Chicago wants to go full on rebuild), Cam Talbot. Also don't forget about the UFA's with 1 year left on their contracts that might be too expensive to re-sign and could be dealt: (Devan Dubnyk, Pekka Rinne). There isn't a whole lot of buyers: Buffalo, Chicago, and Detroit so the cost might be the pick Detroit owns from the Caps/Oilers or even lower.

As far as #2 center...I disagree. That is the one position I think Detroit has completely covered in the long term. Veleno and Rasmussen will compete for it. Larkin could default to it if his scoring touch doesn't return. Make due with what you have for 1/2 a year and by then Veleno and Rasmussen should be pushing for it.

The realistic trades I'd like to see are the ones where the cap dump compensation shows how desperate the cap strapped team really is. There are 5 teams that can take on significant salaries and Colorado must save room for its young talent hitting RFA.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 7:13 a.m.
When in my comment did I say that they would be good trade targets? Get a grip

I never said that you said that they would be good trade tears of joy . yes thank. I'll get a brain
Jul. 27, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: dca919
I can see Detroit trading draft picks....to LA for a swap of #2 and #4....where LA wants Drysdale because they are so stacked with young forwards. And it would cost a lot to do--but would be one of those deals that benefits both clubs. Detroit has guys that project as 2nd line players (Fabbri, Zadina, Veleno, even arguably Larkin or Bertuzzi) and 3rd liners (Rasmussen, Jonatan Berggren, Robert Mastrosimone/Albin Grewe/Dmytro Timashov/Mathias Brome) but needs more top end talent rather than top 6 guys.

Beyond that, the LHD will be addressed in UFA. Do they make a run at Torey Krug or settle for a lower pairing guy like Joel Edmundson? or do they look for an older vet player on a 1 year deal?

Goalie situation will be addressed via trade or UFA. Think Jake Allen as their 1st option then Matt Murray/Tristan Jarry as option 2. Teams are going to want to get rid of cap space or get something rather than lose these guys to Seattle for nothing. Goalies on the market (via trade or UFA) should be Allen, Tristan Jarry/Matt Murray, Lehner/Marc-Andre Fleury (if Vegas chooses Lehner), Corey Crawford (if Chicago wants to go full on rebuild), Cam Talbot. Also don't forget about the UFA's with 1 year left on their contracts that might be too expensive to re-sign and could be dealt: (Devan Dubnyk, Pekka Rinne). There isn't a whole lot of buyers: Buffalo, Chicago, and Detroit so the cost might be the pick Detroit owns from the Caps/Oilers or even lower.

As far as #2 center...I disagree. That is the one position I think Detroit has completely covered in the long term. Veleno and Rasmussen will compete for it. Larkin could default to it if his scoring touch doesn't return. Make due with what you have for 1/2 a year and by then Veleno and Rasmussen should be pushing for it.

The realistic trades I'd like to see are the ones where the cap dump compensation shows how desperate the cap strapped team really is. There are 5 teams that can take on significant salaries and Colorado must save room for its young talent hitting RFA.

Even though LA needs defence prospects, I doubt they trade pick 2. For LHD, I think we go after someone cheap but wouldn’t be upset if we got Krug. For goalie, I’m hoping to either pick one up in a cap dump or sign a UFA. For 2C, we definitely have it covered in the long term but not the short term. At the moment Filppula is our 2nd best C. I know we’re rebuilding but that has to improve.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Quoting: Wilbur
Chiasson is far from useless, he was very effective as a net front presence on the 2nd best power play in NHL HISTORY. He played an important role, no matter what your opinion of the player is. He is also a Stanley Cup champion and well-liked by coaches and teammates, that means something in the real NHL.

Also, Detroit is allergic to Right-handed Wingers. There are none in the entire organization.

Russell is overpriced, but he is an excellent skater, very small, but knocks down guys up to 40lbs and 5" taller on a regular basis.. He is another very well-respected vet and only costs $1.5 million in real money next season, that has appeal in real life.

Quoting: Jfstompers
Id take maata in a second on this team

I don’t think I’d call of those players useless. It’s more just that they are overpaid-but some still have positive value. I’m more just sick of them being dumped on the Wings with a decent pick being sent back and the only explanation being “The Wings suck so they need ____ player.”
Jul. 27, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

If you’re a team that has cap space they can be useful. For example Montreal would be interested in acquiring and playing Chiasson, Russel, & Perrault, but for a price to take on their cap hit. But once they get to the team, they become valuable depth players.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll