Forums/Armchair-GM

Crazy idea

Created by: BigDog91
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2020
Published: Jul. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With this team we improving the scoring depth while still banking on young players to become top six players. I believe after next year Tage, cozens, mittlestadt, and kahun All have the potential to become toot 6 players. Will they all become top 6 no but we only need two and then two can be good third liners.

We also have plenty of cap room to sign players next year as well and keep first and all the top prospects.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$6,250,000
5$4,750,000
3$3,000,000
4$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Montour, Brandon [RFA Rights]
  2. Pilut, Lawrence [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. Turris, Kyle
Additional Details:
Sabres get over paid center for over paid winger.
NSH
  1. Okposo, Kyle
Additional Details:
Has one less year on deal
NJD
  1. Bryson, Jacob
  2. Johansson, Marcus
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. 2021 7th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Hutton, Carter
  2. 2020 5th round pick (BUF)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$65,205,834$1,487,500$4,337,500$16,294,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$845,000$845,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 4
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:39 p.m.
I don't not see NSH even considering a deal like this. Turris is playing with Granlund and Duchene -- what does Okposo do for this team other than have one less year? NSH isn't that desperate to get rid of Turris. He is primed for a bounce-back season with the way Hynes has been deploying him as opposed to Laviolette.

And then you put him as your 2C and expect NSH to take back a 4RW -- that shows the difference in value right there. The extra year does not change that much.
gmgb liked this.
Jul. 26, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.
Calgary easily passes.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:24 a.m.
Quoting: SAS
Calgary easily passes.

There’s been Calgary fans on here saying they’d do Hanifin for Montour straight up... their think was that Hanifin was overrated & you need a RH shot defenseman who can play in the top4

I was surprised, and by no means do i think CGY would swap them straight up, bc Hanifin has the pedigree of being a really high pick... so i do think it would take Montour +

What’s your take on Hanifin?
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:31 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: villenash
I don't not see NSH even considering a deal like this. Turris is playing with Granlund and Duchene -- what does Okposo do for this team other than have one less year? NSH isn't that desperate to get rid of Turris. He is primed for a bounce-back season with the way Hynes has been deploying him as opposed to Laviolette.

And then you put him as your 2C and expect NSH to take back a 4RW -- that shows the difference in value right there. The extra year does not change that much.

Turris had one season above 60 points and it was 5 years ago. He’s not bouncing back. Which magically... is the same year okposo had his last 60 point season.

I don’t see ot as a bad move for the preds. It could turn out bad for buffalo.

Calgary trade isn’t happening. You could probably get kylington+ back. But flames lack rhw so probably not a good trade partner.

I would look to philly. They might be in the market for that and you might be able to get Nolan Patrick. That would actually be a good fit.
Jdfitz77 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:03 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Turris had one season above 60 points and it was 5 years ago. He’s not bouncing back. Which magically... is the same year okposo had his last 60 point season.

I don’t see ot as a bad move for the preds. It could turn out bad for buffalo.

Calgary trade isn’t happening. You could probably get kylington+ back. But flames lack rhw so probably not a good trade partner.

I would look to philly. They might be in the market for that and you might be able to get Nolan Patrick. That would actually be a good fit.

Yes it would be a bad move for NSH to trade for an over the hill, $6M 4th liner. Turris was one of NSH's better forwards, once Lavi got canned. Okposo would be keeping Tinordi company in the press box. I don't see how it could turn out bad for BUF to upgrade to a younger, more skilled 2nd line forward, without taking on any salary.

Flyers won't trade Patrick, for the same reason BUF shouldn't trade Mittelstadt . Their values are all too low to get anything of significance back. The only way to come close to recouping some of the investment that went into drafting and developing the players, is to keep being patient and hope things turn around.
villenash and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 8:01 a.m.
Quoting: Jdfitz77
There’s been Calgary fans on here saying they’d do Hanifin for Montour straight up... their think was that Hanifin was overrated & you need a RH shot defenseman who can play in the top4

I was surprised, and by no means do i think CGY would swap them straight up, bc Hanifin has the pedigree of being a really high pick... so i do think it would take Montour +

So far he hasn't been as good as people have hoped but hes a solid top 4 23 year old LD on a good contract. He still has more upside.
Jdfitz77 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 8:08 a.m.
John 3 16
That would be a great trade for Buffalo to get Turris, but I think Turris is more useful than Okposo and Nashville don't need capspace THAT badly.

Palmieri probably gets a late 1st if he's traded, so that offer is undewhelming.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: Richard88
That would be a great trade for Buffalo to get Turris, but I think Turris is more useful than Okposo and Nashville don't need capspace THAT badly.

Palmieri probably gets a late 1st if he's traded, so that offer is undewhelming.

Turris and Okposo have the same cap hit. NSH doesn't get any cap space - just a lesser player.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.

I know every one in Buffalo puts Montour down.
I sometimes think that the Buffalo fans hate Botterill so much that ANY trade he made was a bad trade.
Montour was the Sabres best defenseman during the 20 games he played in the '18-'19 season.
This year he has the best +/- of all skaters and only Scandella had a better PDO than he.
If one compares Hanifin and Montour on Evolving Hockey, they are very close. howVizHome=no#3" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener" target="_blank">https://public.tableau.com/views/SKATR2019-2020/SKATR?:embed=y&:display_count=y&ConfusedhowVizHome=no#3
That site has a flaw as it definitely gives higher grades to players who are on better teams.
While I cannot say whether Treliving would accept this trade as written, the value is very close.
BTW yes Montour is that good and it was steal to only give up Guhle and a late first to get him.
I think Brisebois and Botterill were close to a deal for Ristolainen, unfortunately it fell through.
Then Brisebois is handed give and signed Shattenkirk for $1,750,000.
I will continue to investigate who blinked in the Ristolainen trade and let you know if I find anything.
Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: gmgb
Turris and Okposo have the same cap hit. NSH doesn't get any cap space - just a lesser player.

Okposo has 1 year less term than Turris which is what I was referring to.
gmgb liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I sometimes think that the Buffalo fans hate Botterill so much that ANY trade he made was a bad trade.
Montour was the Sabres best defenseman during the 20 games he played in the '18-'19 season.
This year he has the best +/- of all skaters and only Scandella had a better PDO than he.
If one compares Hanifin and Montour on Evolving Hockey, they are very close. howVizHome=no#3" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener" target="_blank">https://public.tableau.com/views/SKATR2019-2020/SKATR?:embed=y&:display_count=y&ConfusedhowVizHome=no#3
That site has a flaw as it definitely gives higher grades to players who are on better teams.
While I cannot say whether Treliving would accept this trade as written, the value is very close.
BTW yes Montour is that good and it was steal to only give up Guhle and a late first to get him.
I think Brisebois and Botterill were close to a deal for Ristolainen, unfortunately it fell through.
I will continue to investigate who blinked in the Ristolainen trade and let you know if I find anything.

The thing with Montour is that he needs to be used properly to get the best out of him. He's not an offensive Dman who excels with OZ starts. His bread and butter is in zone exits and transitions, and when he's starting in the OZ that is completely negated. Put him on a pairing with a defensive guy who can clear the crease and retrieve the puck and give it to Montour to start the play.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
The thing with Montour is that he needs to be used properly to get the best out of him. He's not an offensive Dman who excels with OZ starts. His bread and butter is in zone exits and transitions, and when he's starting in the OZ that is completely negated. Put him on a pairing with a defensive guy who can clear the crease and retrieve the puck and give it to Montour to start the play.

I can see that you were watching the Montour I was watching the past 17 months.
As I said, IMO the Ristolainen trade was very close, I do not know who blinked.
I also think the talks continued to the following year, when McPhee offered Miller for a second.
Who could turn down that trade either?
Then later that month Bowman must have been drunk or had gun held to his head and swapped Jokiharju for Nylander.
As a result Buffalo has 4 top 4 defensemen and only had to give up a late first, late second, a "C" prospect and "B" prospect.
Then nearly all of the trading stopped.
So while it was not great to have a glut of RHD (Buffalo was one of the better 5 on 5 defensive teams) it did not work out as well as expected.
Let me add, at the beginning of the season, Buffalo had Gilmour in the press box (he even played 4 games) because both Pilut and Bogosian were injured.
Strange that playing 4 RHD, Buffalo was able to put together their best 10 games of the season. So maybe it is better to have 6 top 4 defensemen than balanced left and right.

BTW you just made a very good point that Montour was not used properly.
IMO a lot of Sabres were not used properly and he was just one of them (can you imagine Sobotka playing second line RW?).
I do not see any reason to expect next year to be any better.

You are an Aves fan and you do not follow the Sabres as closely as I do.
On the other hand everything Sakic touched last year turned to gold. Nichushkin, Donskoi and Kadri just to name a few all contributed more than I think was expected.
While adding Miller, Jokiharju and Johansson worked out OK, Vesey was a bust and Hutton, Sheary, Rodrigues and Skinner all had epic bad years.
Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
Yeah Baby
Personally I'm not interested in Pilut in this deal.

1st off, this would leave the Flames with one proven LHD (Gio) and four wild cars in Valimkai, Mackey, Kylington and Pilut. We'd need another more experienced LHD as insurance, and we could sign that in free agency easily.

2nd, Pilut is not expansion draft exempt, so the Flames would be trading one ED eligible D for two, and if Pilut came back from the KHL (can he even do that?) and had a good year we'd probably lose him to Seattle anyways.

I'd much rather have a draft pick or a non ED eligible asset back to go along with Montour.

Thompson is also of interest but there again the Flames would have ED complications as a result.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: gmgb
Yes it would be a bad move for NSH to trade for an over the hill, $6M 4th liner. Turris was one of NSH's better forwards, once Lavi got canned. Okposo would be keeping Tinordi company in the press box. I don't see how it could turn out bad for BUF to upgrade to a younger, more skilled 2nd line forward, without taking on any salary.

Flyers won't trade Patrick, for the same reason BUF shouldn't trade Mittelstadt . Their values are all too low to get anything of significance back. The only way to come close to recouping some of the investment that went into drafting and developing the players, is to keep being patient and hope things turn around.

Okposo is 1.5 yrs older.... Turris is a 3rd line centre on just about every other team. I would be bad for buffalo if he continued his horrid play. They would be in the hook for an extra year. If he can hold the fort on the 2nd line for 1 year then slide down to 3c and let cozens take over it would be manageable.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
John 3 16
I can see that you were watching the Montour I was watching the past 17 months.
As I said, IMO the Ristolainen trade was very close, I do not know who blinked.
I also think the talks continued to the following year, when McPhee offered Miller for a second.
Who could turn down that trade either?
Then later that month Bowman must have been drunk or had gun held to his head and swapped Jokiharju for Nylander.
As a result Buffalo has 4 top 4 defensemen and only had to give up a late first, late second, a "C" prospect and "B" prospect.
Then nearly all of the trading stopped.
So while it was not great to have a glut of RHD (Buffalo was one of the better 5 on 5 defensive teams) it did not work out as well as expected.
Let me add, at the beginning of the season, Buffalo had Gilmour in the press box (he even played 4 games) because both Pilut and Bogosian were injured.
Strange that playing 4 RHD, Buffalo was able to put together their best 10 games of the season. So maybe it is better to have 6 top 4 defensemen than balanced left and right.

BTW you just made a very good point that Montour was not used properly.
IMO a lot of Sabres were not used properly and he was just one of them (can you imagine Sobotka playing second line RW?).
I do not see any reason to expect next year to be any better.

You are an Aves fan and you do not follow the Sabres as closely as I do.
On the other hand everything Sakic touched last year turned to gold. Nichushkin, Donskoi and Kadri just to name a few all contributed more than I think was expected.
While adding Miller, Jokiharju and Johansson worked out OK, Vesey was a bust and Hutton, Sheary, Rodrigues and Skinner all had epic bad years.

Good discussion, thanks for elaborating a bit smile

Btw here's a great article on Montour that goes into detail on the things I mentioned about Montour: https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/31/21116374/brandon-montour-buffalo-sabres-could-benefit-from-a-shift-in-zone-deployment
Jul. 27, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Good discussion, thanks for elaborating a bit smile

Btw here's a great article on Montour that goes into detail on the things I mentioned about Montour: https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/31/21116374/brandon-montour-buffalo-sabres-could-benefit-from-a-shift-in-zone-deployment

Yup the stats confirm what I had been watching the past 17 months, I am shocked! LOL.
I try to refrain from using Chad a s reference.
"When the Canadian-born defender was acquired from the Anaheim Ducks last February, the underlying data on him was not impressive."
I am not sure what hockey Chad was watching, but to ONLY give up a late first and Guhle was a positive steal!
That is not a great start to an evaluation of defender.
But Chad's stats also confirmed my eye test.
Brandon was steady in his own zone and a great skater who could rush from end to end if needed.

I think in general Chad does a great job of presenting advanced stats, but not so much evaluating what one can see on the ice.
I like to use the stats to confirm what I see on the ice.
Richard88 and Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.

Yzerman also called about Risto both when he was with Tampa & Detroit... as have a good number of other teams. Anaheim & LA i know for sure. CGY basically traded for him a few years back, but then their analytics dept shut down the trade.
Previous GMs weren’t willing to let him go cheap,
but who knows how Adams views things.

I just hope they don’t go straight analytics
That would be a mistake imo
I do think analytics are useful...
but there’s also a common sense about it
For example: O’Reilly
Did he suddenly become a better player at age 27?
Or do his numbers look better bc StL doesn’t have him take on such a huge defensive responsibility & he’s got better linemates on a better team?

What I’m saying with Risto,
is that if we traded him to Tampa i think he’d look like an all star
He’s by no means “untouchable” for me
But i also don’t wanna see him traded for picks or 3rd line player(s) like I’ve seen many on here do
*same with Montour
Jul. 27, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: SAS
So far he hasn't been as good as people have hoped but hes a solid top 4 23 year old LD on a good contract. He still has more upside.

I don’t disagree with that
Just prepare yourself to see some Montour + for Hanifin trades on here from Sabres fans, bc like i said, a couple different CGY fans brought up the idea last week & the week before
Jul. 27, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
Yzerman also called about Risto both when he was with Tampa & Detroit... as have a good number of other teams. Anaheim & LA i know for sure. CGY basically traded for him a few years back, but then their analytics dept shut down the trade.
Previous GMs weren’t willing to let him go cheap,
but who knows how Adams views things.

I just hope they don’t go straight analytics
What I’m saying with Risto,
is that if we traded him to Tampa i think he’d look like an all star
He’s by no means “untouchable” for me
But i also don’t wanna see him traded for picks or 3rd line player(s) like I’ve seen many on here do
*same with Montour

I completely agree with you.
BTW IMO that is actually a very fair package for Hanifin.
Compare the last 3 years:
Montour 22 63 85 +9
Hanifin 20 67 87 -14
Keep in mind Hanifin has played with much better teams these past 2 years.
IDK if CGY wants to move him but Montour could challenge Brodie for the #1 RHD spot.
IMO this is certainly a great trade for Buffalo, to balance the LHD and the RHD. but it also does the same for Calgary.
Jdfitz77 and Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
I completely agree with you.
BTW IMO that is actually a very fair package for Hanifin.
Compare the last 3 years:
Montour 22 63 85 +9
Hanifin 20 67 87 -14
Keep in mind Hanifin has played with much better teams these past 2 years.
IDK if CGY wants to move him but Montour could challenge Brodie for the #1 RHD spot.
IMO this is certainly a great trade for Buffalo, to balance the LHD and the RHD. but it also does the same for Calgary.

And it wouldn’t hurt to bring in a young talent who Eichel is friends with either
Especially if they end up having to trade Sam

Agree on Hanifin & Montour
Only thing that makes Hanifin have more value,
is that he was drafted so high
They need a RH guy, we need a LH guy...
seems like a reasonable idea to me
Jul. 27, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
And it wouldn’t hurt to bring in a young talent who Eichel is friends with either
Especially if they end up having to trade Sam

Agree on Hanifin & Montour
Only thing that makes Hanifin have more value,
is that he was drafted so high
They need a RH guy, we need a LH guy...
seems like a reasonable idea to me

I know I am playing with fire here, but could you imagine anyone thinking they could get Hanifin for 29th OA and Guhle?
You have no idea how many people think Botterill got ripped off in the trade for Montour.
Let me add, I know Jason made many errors but getting Montour was not one of them, it was a huge steal, nearly on the same scale as Jokiharju.
Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
I know I am playing with fire here, but could you imagine anyone thinking they could get Hanifin for 29th OA and Guhle?
You have no idea how many people think Botterill got ripped off in the trade for Montour.
Let me add, I know Jason made many errors but getting Montour was not one of them, it was a huge steal, nearly on the same scale as Jokiharju.

Idk if I’d go that far, but i get your point
I actually don’t think Montour has been all that great
He’s been “ok” imo,
while not playing under the most optimal circumstances for his talents

I don’t necessarily want to trade him
But if it’s for a good young LH defenseman, or a good young top6 forward, then it just makes sense bc we have an extra RH defenseman

And though i like Risto,
it would also make sense to move him instead & sign Montour long term since Risto only has 2yrs left & we don’t know if he wants to stay or not (he’s given off mixed messages)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll