SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

With reasons

With reasons

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: lesnordiquesnext
Published: Jul. 27, 2020 at 9:46 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Nashville Predators-Easy choice. Number one for certain.
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA won being big and plodding but with GM Blake I think they want more speed and sizzle. Plus I don’t believe in the German business connections as a reason to draft a player.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksEasy choice for the Sens. They’ll take the BPA in their tier 2. Their fans can’t get mad at that selection so this choice has less pressure than the LA one.
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-This is the hardest one to predict as Stevie Y is not shy to do what he thinks is right. I think they go D and try to trade down. They need help everywhere but ultimately select Jake. He’s neck and neck Drysdale but Detroit already has Hronek and Seider as RHD.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-There are only 2 Dmen in the top 10. Everyone wants help on the back end. These defensemen are going to go faster than people think. The Sens have one top guy in Chabot and three maybes in Brannstrom, Thomson and JBD. To guard against them not all panning out they select Drydale with their 2nd pick.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-They wanted defence but will be forced to take a forward. They need talent and Cole oozes it.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Raymond falls a bit but the Devils will rush to take him. Another team who hoped to snag a defender but will be happy to take the talented winger.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-If they don’t trade this pick for immediate help they’ll take Rossi. They’ll have Cozens and Mittelstadt down the middle too but it’s easy for someone to move to the wing if they all work out. Plus Rossi is the most talented guy left on the board.
9Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Habs take BPA and they’ll be happy with Holtz. A future with Caufield and Holtz between all the centers (Suzuki, KK, Domi) they’ve accumulated recently will look pretty good.
10Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-I see lots of people predicting Askarov goes to Chicago. With Toews and Kane getting on in years, I don’t think they’ll pick a goalie even though they need it. They’ll draft more immediate (relatively speaking) help in Quinn. It’s near the end of this next tier and Chicago always values high end skill. Quinn has more than Lundell.
11Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesBPA and that’s Lundell. May consider Askarov but the chance to leave the draft with Lundell and Raymond is a pretty fantastic haul.
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-They just finished waiting for a supremely talented Russian, Kaprizov, and will go down that road again. As long as GM Guerin feels comfortable that he’s there long term.
13Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-
16Logo of the New York Rangers-
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
Two Words, Kaapo Kahkonen. Minny does not need to draft Askarov.
lesnordiquesnext liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: crankshaft
Two Words, Kaapo Kahkonen. Minny does not need to draft Askarov.

If Askarov gets past Chicago and NJ I think he could fall to 17 (Winnipeg) or 18 (Ottawa), since the teams in the mid-teens already have good goalie prospects: Wild (Kahkonen), Vancouver (Demko), Florida (Knight), Calgary (Wolf), NYR (Shesterkin/Georgiev). The teams I think would be most likely to take Askarov are NJ, Chicago, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina, Edmonton, Vegas, SJ, or Blues. I doubt he falls beyond Ottawa or Carolina though.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: Richard88
If Askarov gets past Chicago and NJ I think he could fall to 17 (Winnipeg) or 18 (Ottawa), since the teams in the mid-teens already have good goalie prospects: Wild (Kahkonen), Vancouver (Demko), Florida (Knight), Calgary (Wolf), NYR (Shesterkin/Georgiev). The teams I think would be most likely to take Askarov are NJ, Chicago, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina, Edmonton, Vegas, SJ, or Blues. I doubt he falls beyond Ottawa or Carolina though.

Sharks signed Melnichuk this summer, one of the hotter undrafted FA goalies. I think Calgary would take Askarov.
Richard88 and Remus liked this.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 7:49 p.m.
Edited Jul. 28, 2020 at 9:26 a.m.
- Chicago take Askarov (goalie franchise)
- NJ take Raymond and Quinn (wings for Hischier and Hughes)
- Wild take Lundell (need top 6 C)
Jul. 27, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: SalamiCheese
- Chicago take Askarov (goalie francise)
- NJ take Raymond and Quinn (wings for Hischier and Hughes)
- Wild take Lundell (need top 6 C)

I honestly don't believe Chicago will take Askarov. I think he will fall to the late teens. He won't be ready for 2-3 years minimum.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.
exo2769
As a CHI fan. I think this post is correct. I dont see them drafting Askarov. If they did...ok I'm not mad, but they could really use Jack Quinn or Anton Lundell. Maybe they sign a UFA goalie long term because they'll want something more immediate than 3-4 years away.
Jul. 27, 2020 at 10:51 p.m.
lesnordiquesnext
That's a really valid point about Minny and Kahkonen. The two most challenging picks to predict were at #4 and what Detroit is going to do and guessing who will take Askarov. I feel that Askarov deserves to be in the top 12 based on his talent. I agree with others that he may side into the teens. I could see Ottawa or another team trade up to grab him. Goodness knows Ottawa has the extra picks to make it happen. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Jul. 28, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: Richard88
since the teams in the mid-teens already have good goalie prospects: Calgary (Wolf)

Stats are impressive doe I'd be interested to see the team's strength of schedule, nonetheless he shouldn't be viewed as a top prospect for now until he shows something to the other level. Calgary would be a prime position for Askarov and if Wolf pans out youd be looking at a duo as good as Rinne/Sarros.

Quoting: crankshaft
I honestly don't believe Chicago will take Askarov. I think he will fall to the late teens. He won't be ready for 2-3 years minimum.

I think Chicago has to take a goalie in the second/third round as Lankinen hasn't showed much this year and with Crawford maybe leaving it'd be a pretty big hole in the organisation to fill, still think taking Askarov wouldn't be a bad move but if they decide to pass on him they gotta get one of Blomquist/Commesso/Daws/Bednar at 56 or 71.
Richard88 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
I would rather Yzerman take Askarov #4 instead of Sanderson. Sanderson didn't start rising up the draft board till after hockey had been shut down for a couple weeks. So why did he rise?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll