C
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 28, 2020 at 5:21 a.m.
mokumboi
Edited Jul. 28, 2020 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: dca919
Oh did I mention a flat cap where multiple teams were looking to shed salaries.....which makes a difference in leverage too. Guess I just assume people will calculate that into it--unlike your example.

Multiple people have said goalie market is flooded you're not going to get a decent return--but you won't give it up....okay fine.

Detroit passes and moves on.

Allen would be in a time share as the number 1B guy (or the backup) or did you not see any Wings games last year from Dec onward? Hint it was Jimmy Howard's performance doomed Detroit to the worst record in the NHL. Allen isn't the goalie he once was considered only a few years ago.

Jonathan Bernier
Stats: 46 games, 15-22-3 record, 2.95 GAA, .907 SVS, 1 shutout
Outlook: You can make a strong case for Bernier being the Wings’ MVP this season. He wasn’t overly great in October and November, bringing back visions of last season. But from December on, Bernier has given a Wings’ a chance to win every night he’s been in net. With one more year left on his contract (at $3 million), Bernier could become a trade chip at next season’s deadline

1- No, you didn't mention it. Scroll up and see for yourself. But now that it has come up, erm, the cap stayed flat from 15-16 to 16-17. So my example does match up perfectly in this regard. You should probably know these sorts of things before gong off on such a tangent.

2- Funny how, despite all this blather, you somehow managed to totally avoid acknowledging my nearly perfect example. But since you've brought it up again (sigh), I'll keep it simple for you. 2 - 1 = 1. No matter how many times you try to pretend it doesn't. A goalie leaving a team opens a job, regardless of who fills it and how and where they come from. That's an exceedingly simple equation.

3- Yeah, I know. I've already said exactly that twice above. I'll say it a third time if that helps: Detroit is not paying a 2nd for Allen.

4- While it's hilarious how you pretend the Wings' failings were all due to Howard, I'll just move past that to laugh at your "Allen isn't the goalie he once was considered only a few years ago" remark. You're right, he's clearly better than he was a few years ago, even at his previous best. He's fixed his mechanics and moves around the crease so much more efficiently now. He's also regained his confidence. It's like looking at a whole new goalie (which you clearly haven't done in the last 18 months).

5- Wings MVP lol. Even if he was their best player (he definitely wasn't), that is certainly not a high bridge to cross. Giving the Wings a chance to win every night... magic. The guy's save pct. was well below league average, as was is his GSAxA. He had some good days down the stretch, to be sure, but let's not go crazy. His quality starts were almost always against MTL, OTT, CHI, BUFF, SJ. but somehow he's a trade chip, even in what you claim will be a heavily constricted trade market for goalies.
Jul. 28, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
dp6154
Detroit declines. They'd rather use the 2nd round pick to acquire Alexandar Georgiev from the Rangers.

You do realize that there will be a flood of goalies on the free agent market with little buyers right? Buffalo, Chicago, and Detroit and that's about it for starter's jobs.

Expected goalies on the market that will re-sign with teams or go to Cup contenders:
Braden Holtby (Washington), Robin Lehner (Vegas), Jacob Markstrom (Vancouver), Jaroslav Halak (Boston), Corey Crawford (Chicago) and Anton Khudobin (Dallas).

Career backups that the Wings could target for nothing:
Cam Talbot (Calgary), Thomas Greiss (Islanders) and Aaron Dell (San Jose).

Available in a trade:
Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry, Jake Allen, (Marc-Andre Fleury if Vegas chooses Lehner)

Might be available given they have 1 year left on a contract and might no longer fit the payroll:
Devan Dubnyk, Pekka Rinne

That's a large sellers list with few buyers...that means the market will drive down prices. Add in the fact that St. Louis is desperate to cut payroll to re-sign Pietrangelo and I doubt Allen goes for even a 3rd rounder.

While I agree that Allen won't go for a 2nd (I think a 4th), you realize every single goalie on that list except 2 is a worse choice in goal than Allen. teams can always pick up someone off the streets (or hell even from the minors) if performance doesn't mean chit. Performance kind of matters though, that's why teams make trades. Also almost everyone on that list will require more than one year & with the excpetion of Lehner represents another job opening.

One year of very good veteran goaltending from a former highly touted prospect who could always become your long term plan if you see they fit over the next year for a mid round pick is pretty valuable
Jul. 28, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
Quoting: dp6154
While I agree that Allen won't go for a 2nd (I think a 4th), you realize every single goalie on that list except 2 is a worse choice in goal than Allen. teams can always pick up someone off the streets (or hell even from the minors) if performance doesn't mean chit. Performance kind of matters though, that's why teams make trades. Also almost everyone on that list will require more than one year & with the excpetion of Lehner represents another job opening.

One year of very good veteran goaltending from a former highly touted prospect who could always become your long term plan if you see they fit over the next year for a mid round pick is pretty valuable
You do realize that Detroit doesn't have a goaltender signed beyond next year and doesn't have a single prospect close to being ready to be their starter in the AHL let alone the NHL. They have 35M in cap space this coming year and only 5 contracts on the books for the following year. So taking on a 3-4 year goalie contract isn't an issue.

But if they go the trade route, Allen of a few years ago might have been better than most of those on the list--but that's not the league view outside the bubble of St. Louis. And I'd much rather have the younger Tristan Jarry, Matt Murray, or Alexandar Georgiev if you are going to trade assets for a goalie--even a 4th---which is closer to the cost Allen will cost than the 2nd being insisted on above.
Jul. 28, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
1- No, you didn't mention it. Scroll up and see for yourself. But now that it has come up, erm, the cap stayed flat from 15-16 to 16-17. So my example does match up perfectly in this regard. You should probably know these sorts of things before gong off on such a tangent.

2- Funny how, despite all this blather, you somehow managed to totally avoid acknowledging my nearly perfect example. But since you've brought it up again (sigh), I'll keep it simple for you. 2 - 1 = 1. No matter how many times you try to pretend it doesn't. A goalie leaving a team opens a job, regardless of who fills it and how and where they come from. That's an exceedingly simple equation.

3- Yeah, I know. I've already said exactly that twice above. I'll say it a third time if that helps: Detroit is not paying a 2nd for Allen.

4- While it's hilarious how you pretend the Wings' failings were all due to Howard, I'll just move past that to laugh at your "Allen isn't the goalie he once was considered only a few years ago" remark. You're right, he's clearly better than he was a few years ago, even at his previous best. He's fixed his mechanics and moves around the crease so much more efficiently now. He's also regained his confidence. It's like looking at a whole new goalie (which you clearly haven't done in the last 18 months).

5- Wings MVP lol. Even if he was their best player (he definitely wasn't), that is certainly not a high bridge to cross. Giving the Wings a chance to win every night... magic. The guy's save pct. was well below league average, as was is his GSAxA. He had some good days down the stretch, to be sure, but let's not go crazy. His quality starts were almost always against MTL, OTT, CHI, BUFF, SJ. but somehow he's a trade chip, even in what you claim will be a heavily constricted trade market for goalies.

It's a crap example from years ago that no longer applies as goalies are priced differently...particularly ones over 30.

Oh did I mention the cap will stay flat for the next couple of years not just one year....there goes your example.

Multiple teams are in cap trouble not just one or two wherein the rest of the league had cap space like your example...so there goes your example.

Allen is not worth a 2nd or a 3rd. End point. Detroit doesn't want him. They already had the chance to trade for him and turned it down. No team is going to rescue St. Louis's cap hell. That the whole point. St. Louis is negotiating from the weakest leverage you can get. Market flooded, team against the cap, team needs to sign it's captain. Allen is worth maybe a 4th if you can get it.

Howard’s goals-saved above average of -14.52 is 50th of 53 goalies with at least 25 games played this season and he’s one of just two goalies with a 5-on-5 save percentage (.896) below .900.
Season GP GS W L T OT SA GA GAA SV%
2019-2020 27 27 2 23 0 2 817 96 4.20 .882
yeah clearly he wasn't the problem.

A goalie can be a trade chip at the deadline in a COVID season where the trading team takes 50% retention of his contract...teams by then want a quality backup for a fraction of the cost. It makes perfect sense unless you don't understand how resting the starter for the playoffs and having a quality backup ready to fill in works. It's called a rental. And will be priced as a rental with retained salary: say a 3rd round pick. Unlike a cap dump where you get a 4th round pick for Allen.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 12:18 p.m.
dp6154
You do realize that Detroit doesn't have a goaltender signed beyond next year and doesn't have a single prospect close to being ready to be their starter in the AHL let alone the NHL. They have 35M in cap space this coming year and only 5 contracts on the books for the following year. So taking on a 3-4 year goalie contract isn't an issue.

But if they go the trade route, Allen of a few years ago might have been better than most of those on the list--but that's not the league view outside the bubble of St. Louis. And I'd much rather have the younger Tristan Jarry, Matt Murray, or Alexandar Georgiev if you are going to trade assets for a goalie--even a 4th---which is closer to the cost Allen will cost than the 2nd being insisted on above.

ok but I already agreed Allen is going for a 4th and not a 2nd and your personal opinion aside most NHL GMs would like Allen. Also I know Detroit has nobody signed beyond next year, why would they lead a rebuild with a boat anchor when everyone can see the results of the Bob signing last offseason when they can do a dry run and just exxtend Allen if he works or pick up a goalie next year if he doean't? having nobody in the high minors is a reason why Allen does have appeal

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll