Forums/Armchair-GM

Could They Sign Tyler Toffoli

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 27, 2020
Published: Jul. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’ve seen a lot of Pens fans say that the team needs a legit top 6 RW, so I got the idea of Tyler Toffoli. He seems like a pretty solid player that hasn’t really been mentioned a lot.

He’s very good at 5v5 as he ranks near the top of the league in quality chances generated as well as offensive zone time. His defensive play is pretty solid as well.

On the powerplay, he is decent at generating chances & can play the left wall, which is exactly what they need.

He’s a solid puck handler & skates respectably. He’s not the quickest, but looking at how well rounded his game is, I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

His market value is around 5.8 Million, but I just gave him a 1 year deal cuz the team might have trouble signing Marino next offseason. Also, in order to sign a big money guy like Toffoli, I had to trade Hornqvist.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,850,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
3$5,500,000
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$6,750,000
Trades
PIT
    Future Considerations
    PIT
      Claimed On Waivers
      PIT
        Claimed On Waivers
        Buried
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the ANA
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$81,500,000$79,225,175$0$850,000$2,274,825

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $8,700,000$8,700,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $6,750,000$6,750,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 4
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 2
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LW, C
        UFA - 1
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,850,000$1,850,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $4,100,000$4,100,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $7,250,000$7,250,000
        RD
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2
        $4,025,175$4,025,175
        LD
        UFA - 5
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        G
        UFA - 4
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        G
        UFA - 3
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $900,000$900,000
        RW, C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        LD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 3:18 p.m.
        Banned
        @dan10900 @Sidstick87 @Marino4Norris @mhockey91 @Pens3lieve @NoWah49 @pensfan89 @Goavs141 @DonkeyLips @dgfresh78

Do you guys think Tyler Toffoli should be an option for the Pens?
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
        All-Team Pylon
        Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
        @dan10900 @Sidstick87 @Marino4Norris @mhockey91 @Pens3lieve @NoWah49 @pensfan89 @Goavs141 @DonkeyLips @dgfresh78

Not worth the contract he’ll get, hard pass
        mhockey91, Yojimbo and Pensfan89 liked this.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
        Pens would be bidding against Jim Benning in free agency. I don't like their odds.
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
        Quoting: Claesson4Norris
        Pens would be bidding against Jim Benning in free agency. I don't like their odds.

haha why not, this is the first FA that he doesn't have lot's of money to over spend on guys tears of joy
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
        Quoting: canucks_Fan_53
        haha why not, this is the first FA that he doesn't have lot's of money to over spend on guys tears of joy

Just gotta move Boeser and it'll be all good
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
        Quoting: canucks_Fan_53

He probably would still sign him to a bad extension
        canucks_Fan_53 liked this.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
        Quoting: Claesson4Norris
        Just gotta move Boeser and it'll be all good

Would be a mistake
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:26 p.m.
        Toffoli is a good option but he will get multiple multi year offers. Haven’t seen it out there and I’m not a Pens fan but what if they went for Namestikov? Cheaper and he can play in the top 6.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
        Toffoli is a 20g, 40pt, non-physical, meh defensively, complementary player. I'm not happy giving him $5M much less $6.75M. Rutherford needs to go after people worth their cap hit, not overpaid fingers crossed types.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Marino4Norris
        Not worth the contract he’ll get, hard pass

I mean, his market value is around 5.8 Million on a long term deal, so I just gave him more for 1 Year.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Xqb15
        Toffoli is a good option but he will get multiple multi year offers. Haven’t seen it out there and I’m not a Pens fan but what if they went for Namestikov? Cheaper and he can play in the top 6.

I think Namestinkov is a talented player who will be in the 3 million dollar range but he doesn’t seem to very good at even strength (he mostly contributes on the PP). I feel Pens are looking for a RW with a right shot. Perhaps Craig Smith or Ryan Strome are options.
        Xqb15 liked this.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 5:17 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Yojimbo
        Toffoli is a 20g, 40pt, non-physical, meh defensively, complementary player. I'm not happy giving him $5M much less $6.75M. Rutherford needs to go after people worth their cap hit, not overpaid fingers crossed types.

Toffoli is actually very good both offensively & defensively at even strength. He has an xG% of 57.3 which means he generates significantly more high danger chances than he concedes. Very solid top 6 player, not sure where you’re hearing that he’s average.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
        Toffoli is actually very good both offensively & defensively at even strength. He has an xG% of 57.3 which means he generates significantly more high danger chances than he concedes. Very solid top 6 player, not sure where you’re hearing that he’s average.

You can generate chances until the cows come home... 100% meaningless if you rarely convert those chances.

Watching the guys on the tv is where I formed my own opinion of him being average. But hit me with more advanced stats as opposed to observations.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
        Hockey God Genius

He is going to want to much
        mhockey91 and Pens3lieve liked this.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
        Hockey IQ
        Quoting: Sidstick87
        He is going to want to much

yup. plus there are better cheaper fits.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 9:27 p.m.
        Nah, I don’t expect any big name signings. Unless they somehow find a way to trade Johnson, Bjugstad, and/or Hornqvist
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
        NoWah49
        Toffoli wouldn't be a good add but I'd rather plug in Simon or Sheary on Sids side and get a bit less production. That would save us 5-6 mil, but if we can somehow unload some of the bad deals I wouldn't be opposed to it I guess
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 10:39 p.m.
        Banned
        You can generate chances until the cows come home... 100% meaningless if you rarely convert those chances.

Watching the guys on the tv is where I formed my own opinion of him being average. But hit me with more advanced stats as opposed to observations.

I admit I haven’t watched Toffoli live recently, only his offensive highlights. However, the statistics used by analysts measure every play a player contributes to at both ends. For example, if he takes away a shooting or passing lane, makes a backcheck preventing a scoring chance, they all count as defensive contributions. No offence but I’d trust Stats more than your observations, especially since you believe Johnson is good at defending.

The Penguins front office & coaching staff have said repeatedly that they like what Johnson brings to the table & that they consider him a part of the core. Stop trading him. He’s done his job as a reliable shutdown defenceman.
        Jul. 31, 2020 at 10:43 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Pensfan89
        Nah, I don’t expect any big name signings. Unless they somehow find a way to trade Johnson, Bjugstad, and/or Hornqvist

Yeah in order for a big signing they will need to move those guys.
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 10:28 a.m.
        I admit I haven’t watched Toffoli live recently, only his offensive highlights. However, the statistics used by analysts measure every play a player contributes to at both ends. For example, if he takes away a shooting or passing lane, makes a backcheck preventing a scoring chance, they all count as defensive contributions. No offence but I’d trust Stats more than your observations, especially since you believe Johnson is good at defending.

Oh, you'll have to show me where I said Johnson is good at defending. Heck, anywhere that I even hinted at it. Well wait.

"I admit I haven’t watched ... live..." ... and it shows.
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.
        Banned
        Oh, you'll have to show me where I said Johnson is good at defending. Heck, anywhere that I even hinted at it. Well wait.

"I admit I haven’t watched ... live..." ... and it shows.

I literally pasted the quote of you saying that the Pens shouldn’t trade JJ cuz the coaching staff likes what he brings & that he’s done a good job defensively.
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
        I literally pasted the quote of you saying that the Pens shouldn’t trade JJ cuz the coaching staff likes what he brings & that he’s done a good job defensively.

"Reliable shut down defenseman" Such amazing praise on my part. "Reliable" WOW!

WOW!

This is what happens when people aren't used to forming their own opinions... they make bad take after bad take.

"Reliable"... isnt that written on the Norris Trophy? Awarded to a defenseman that is reliable. But only if you haven't watched him live "recently" ie: ever that I can actually recall.

Tell us all another joke. Maybe in the form of a Marner trade...
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
        Banned
        "Reliable shut down defenseman" Such amazing praise on my part. "Reliable" WOW!

WOW!

This is what happens when people aren't used to forming their own opinions... they make bad take after bad take.

"Reliable"... isnt that written on the Norris Trophy? Awarded to a defenseman that is reliable. But only if you haven't watched him live "recently" ie: ever that I can actually recall.

Tell us all another joke. Maybe in the form of a Marner trade...

There’s literally nothing right with your observation that Jack is a reliable shutdown defenceman. For the majority of his career, he’s been a big minute player known for putting up points & putting up big hits. He’s never been known for his defensive play.

I’ve watched Jack pretty much every game this season, it’s always the same issue. He has the tendency to lose coverage in front of the net allowing the opposing to easily get a scoring chance. He can’t handle the opposition on the forecheck, therefore, he has a hard time exiting the defensive zone. It’s not hard to see that when he’s not on the ice, the team has possession a lot more.

Whenever someone critizes JJ’s play, you always try to shift the blame onto someone else. You even took a shot at Marino, the best shutdown defensive on the team who helped JJ significantly by stopping the forecheck & cycle so he could have a lesser workload & play more efficiently as a result. This proves you have no idea what you’re watching.

Do you think Johnson’s bad because:

1. He spends 42% of his time with Letang who makes no commitment to play defence & always turns the puck over at vulnerable times leaving Johnson out to dry? (Shot at Letang)

2. He spends 19% of his time with Marino who lacks experience & always makes defensive mistakes leaving Johnson out to dry? (Not a shot at Marino).

3. He spends 12% of his time with Schultz is only interested in pushing play forward in attack that he leaves Johnson out to dry to play defence? (Smaller shot two Schultz.

Instead of just picking the easiest guy to blame, actually learn the game so you understand everyone’s role. Jack’s doing his part but gets no help from his partners whatsoever.
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
        There’s literally nothing right with your observation that Jack is a reliable shutdown defenceman. For the majority of his career, he’s been a big minute player known for putting up points & putting up big hits. He’s never been known for his defensive play.

I’ve watched Jack pretty much every game this season, it’s always the same issue. He has the tendency to lose coverage in front of the net allowing the opposing to easily get a scoring chance. He can’t handle the opposition on the forecheck, therefore, he has a hard time exiting the defensive zone. It’s not hard to see that when he’s not on the ice, the team has possession a lot more.

Whenever someone critizes JJ’s play, you always try to shift the blame onto someone else. You even took a shot at Marino, the best shutdown defensive on the team who helped JJ significantly by stopping the forecheck & cycle so he could have a lesser workload & play more efficiently as a result. This proves you have no idea what you’re watching.

Me: "not a shot at Marino" when talking about his lack of experience.
        You: "You even took a shot at Marino"

I don't try to shift blame, I put blame where it belongs.

I also said that Johnson is the easiest guy to blame. Which is where people that take the easy way tend to put it.

It's funny that you are still mad at me because after your 7,593rd trade for Marner I didnt find them funny anymore. Still a little butthurt I suppose. You know that overpaying a guy that you admit that you haven't watched doesnt make you look better, right? But lets focus on me not saying that Johnson is good, but not joining that lemmings selling the farm to move him out. Maybe people won't notice that you admitted to knowing nothing about the guy that you just gave $6.75M to.
        Aug. 1, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
        Banned
        Me: "not a shot at Marino" when talking about his lack of experience.
        You: "You even took a shot at Marino"

I don't try to shift blame, I put blame where it belongs.

I also said that Johnson is the easiest guy to blame. Which is where people that take the easy way tend to put it.

It's funny that you are still mad at me because after your 7,593rd trade for Marner I didnt find them funny anymore. Still a little butthurt I suppose. You know that overpaying a guy that you admit that you haven't watched doesnt make you look better, right? But lets focus on me not saying that Johnson is good, but not joining that lemmings selling the farm to move him out. Maybe people won't notice that you admitted to knowing nothing about the guy that you just gave $6.75M to.

No one has the time to consistently watch every player. Maybe the research I did on him did not match your eye test observation of what you saw from him in 1 or 2 games. But the truth is, your observations have proven to be incorrect from time to time, with the example of Johnson being most evident. Most people have observed for Toffoli to being a good top 6 winger. To get a legit upgrade over Sheary/Simon, you’re gonna have to be prepared to spend 5+ Million.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll