SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Lets Have An Honest And Objective Discussion About Mitch Marner

Aug. 6, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
I showed you his stats from his CBJ days. I never denied he stunk with the Pens, but you have to consider that he plays with Schultz who is one of the worst defensive players in the league. If he was playing on Toronto w/Muzzin, he'd be much better.

If you could actually read the chart, this makes it worse, not better. The only thing Johnson is good at is being on the ice in the offensive zone, because he might make a pass that will lead to a goal/assist.

You seriously can't tell me that Jack Johnson should be anywhere near a trade for someone like Mitch Marner, because his stats from Columbus (maybe his stats from Columbus, you decided to conveniently cut out the title) were decent based on an outdated statistical model.

His primary partner has been Letang this season. He's barely played with Marino.
NR1203 liked this.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 4:43 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
For me, it’s come to the point in which TOR needs to trade Marner at all costs. If they lose this series again & he plays badly, that’s 4 years in a row in which they can’t get past the first round. I have to think that if they continue to show no progress, the top guys Matthews, Tavares, Rielly & Nylander are gonna want out. So front office needs to be smart & show their support to the top players by addressing the problem that is holding them back: Marner.

How is Marner not a top guy?

I agree that skill & talent is extremely important, but skill & talent is useless if the player doesn’t work hard or is hindered by arrogance, which seems to be the case for Marner. Honestly, I don’t think things changing as long as he remains on the team. So why not try & fix the problem by going after someone who has the right mentality to help the team, plus has solid skill too?

And what indicates that he isn't a hard worker or is arrogant? He held out because he thought he could get paid, just like Nylander did (and guys like Trouba in the past). As much as that is frustrating for the Leafs and their fans, it's his right to do so and at the end of the day they reached a settlement which left the player and the team happy. I don't know, or quite frankly care, about how "arrogant" or hardworking he is, because he puts up points and helps the team on the ice. His numbers speak for themselves.

And besides, if you think they could find someone with that "mentality," who would that player be?
Aug. 6, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
If you could actually read the chart, this makes it worse, not better. The only thing Johnson is good at is being on the ice in the offensive zone, because he might make a pass that will lead to a goal/assist.

You seriously can't tell me that Jack Johnson should be anywhere near a trade for someone like Mitch Marner, because his stats from Columbus (maybe his stats from Columbus, you decided to conveniently cut out the title) were decent based on an outdated statistical model.

His primary partner has been Letang this season. He's barely played with Marino.

Well for most of this season, Letang's played the same way as Schultz. Irresponsible defensively & taking lots of risks the other way. Doesn't support Johnson's game. My idea of trading Johnson as a central piece for Marner is not necessarily because Johnson is good, but moreso a testament to how little value Marner has.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 4:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NR1203
How is Marner not a top guy?

And what indicates that he isn't a hard worker or is arrogant? He held out because he thought he could get paid, just like Nylander did (and guys like Trouba in the past). As much as that is frustrating for the Leafs and their fans, it's his right to do so and at the end of the day they reached a settlement which left the player and the team happy. I don't know, or quite frankly care, about how "arrogant" or hardworking he is, because he puts up points and helps the team on the ice. His numbers speak for themselves.

And besides, if you think they could find someone with that "mentality," who would that player be?

I never denied that he's a top player. Obviously, he is but it's not hard to see that he's lazy & arrogant. Every game he tries to pull highlight-reel plays & kills the momentum when he can't generate anything. He won't make any adjustments to simplify his game. Yeah, he's putting up points & generating scoring chances but you need to contribute more than that to make a difference in the playoffs. An example with the mentality to win would be Patric Hornqvist, whom I traded for. He'll do anything to sacrifice his team & was rightfully rewarded with 2 Stanley Cups.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
torontos finest
Well for most of this season, Letang's played the same way as Schultz. Irresponsible defensively & taking lots of risks the other way. Doesn't support Johnson's game. My idea of trading Johnson as a central piece for Marner is not necessarily because Johnson is good, but moreso a testament to how little value Marner has.

The fact you think Marner has so little value is asinine.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 5:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
The fact you think Marner has so little value is asinine.

Have you seen the way he's been playing this season? Just lets the opposition push him around so easily. Makes no effort to build momentum for his team. What kinda GM wants him, especially at 11 million?
Aug. 12, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
Not enough characte
Ok, I’m not sure if I’m the first one, but I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here. Marner is an amazing player, what I feel a lot of people don’t understand, is that there is more than one way to play the game of hockey. You could be a hard checking, dump and chase player like Hyman and Clifford (love them both). Or you could be a skilled player that thrives on creating space for himself and others. Not knocking the points that everyone has made to trade him, and I’ll agree that he didn’t look as good this year as he did in years previous, but I’d bet money that people were looking at him much more closely this year because of his contract (some hoping that he makes a mistake to “prove” that Dubas doesn’t know what he’s doing). What I would absolutely love to do for next year (if Dubas doesn’t trade him, I’m not an insider so I wouldn’t know) is play him with Robertson and Kerfoot. Not only would this get him away from the other teams top lines, and a better chance to thrive, but it would also help Robertson succeed in his rookie year, while also (hopefully) boost Kerfoot’s numbers to be more like Kadri’s the year before he was dealt.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll