Forums/Armchair-GM

Contend

Created by: NickC1988
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 6, 2020
Published: Aug. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Two trades that make sense both ways. Columbus gets a 2C behind Dubois, Hawks get a starter looking to hold his role. Meanwhile Nylander and Anderson swap as two players are looking to find their game. New Jersey needs a vet LD, Maatta fits the bill and is perfect for the expansion draft.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$1,650,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (NJD)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,390,373$1,090,244$5,132,500$10,109,627

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:16 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Contend for what? Sneaking into another 24 team playoff?
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:22 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Contend for what? Sneaking into another 24 team playoff?

Dach, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Boqvist are all growing their games significantly. If Mitchell is as legit as people think, this team is a lot better than some people think.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:27 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: NickC1988
Dach, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Boqvist are all growing their games significantly. If Mitchell is as legit as people think, this team is a lot better than some people think.

Okay. Contend for what? I guess that team could contend for a wildcard spot.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
Chicago
Okay. Contend for what? I guess that team could contend for a wildcard spot.

They have growing pains, but with Mitchell in and Maatta out, the D core is much faster, Dach is quickly turning heads, and the puck seems to find Kubalik.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:37 p.m.
No.... Strome isn’t worth it. He’s at his best with Kane and isn’t much more then average without him. Columbus doesn’t have a Kane type player... Strome would struggle offensively in Columbus and wouldn’t be much better then Wennberg is.
Viqsi liked this.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Nylander is on his ELC and Anderson would make way more than what you gave him. Not smart to swap those two.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:41 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Nylander is on his ELC and Anderson would make way more than what you gave him. Not smart to swap those two.

Anderson had 4 points in 25 games before a season ending injury, he's not going to magically get a raise when he hasn't played well. He's gunna take a one year deal and bet on himself to get a big UFA contract.
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Anderson had 4 points in 25 games before a season ending injury, he's not going to magically get a raise when he hasn't played well. He's gunna take a one year deal and bet on himself to get a big UFA contract.

You want to trade Nylander for a guy who’s going to leave us in UFA?
Aug. 6, 2020 at 11:53 p.m.
Bcarlo25
They have growing pains, but with Mitchell in and Maatta out, the D core is much faster, Dach is quickly turning heads, and the puck seems to find Kubalik.

Okay, so I’ll ask again. Contend for what?
Aug. 7, 2020 at 12:08 a.m.

I’ll answer the question no hawks fan wants to. Wild card. That’s it for now. As said by the above the hawks have a lot of speculation in their young players. Some have looked good, others not so great (boqvist hasn’t a had a great game yet in these playoffs). Debrincat needs to rebound. Kubalik has a season to his name and while I like him, let’s see what next year holds.

Suffice to say, we’re in the playoffs because of a worldwide tragedy. Yes, we are making good on that chance, but we don’t deserve it. The oilers have the same problems we have in our roster: **** defense, meh goaltending (folks, Crawford has been weak). The oilers are a good example that two guys can’t carry a team. Ask Kane and toews. If by chance we beat the oilers, we still gotta play Vegas or Colorado, and that will go 1 of 1 ways. No that’s not a misprint. The hawks are heading in the right direction, but all we have speculation right now. Cuz without Kane and toews, we all know this team isn’t doing a thing.
Bcarlo25 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 12:10 a.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: HatterTParty
I’ll answer the question no hawks fan wants to. Wild card. That’s it for now. As said by the above the hawks have a lot of speculation in their young players. Some have looked good, others not so great (boqvist hasn’t a had a great game yet in these playoffs). Debrincat needs to rebound. Kubalik has a season to his name and while I like him, let’s see what next year holds.

Suffice to say, we’re in the playoffs because of a worldwide tragedy. Yes, we are making good on that chance, but we don’t deserve it. The oilers have the same problems we have in our roster: **** defense, meh goaltending (folks, Crawford has been weak). The oilers are a good example that two guys can’t carry a team. Ask Kane and toews. If by chance we beat the oilers, we still gotta play Vegas or Colorado, and that will go 1 of 1 ways. No that’s not a misprint. The hawks are heading in the right direction, but all we have speculation right now. Cuz without Kane and toews, we all know this team isn’t doing a thing.

One of the best posts this site has ever seen
HatterTParty liked this.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.

You do realize the parity in the NHL right and you do realize how close teams really are when you look at the standings? You haven't seen a team sneak in the playoffs and go all the way to the final game? You haven't seen a team steal a series or even a game that meant everything? I mean being a Bruins fan you show know this....17 seconds smile
Aug. 7, 2020 at 2:32 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
You do realize the parity in the NHL right and you do realize how close teams really are when you look at the standings? You haven't seen a team sneak in the playoffs and go all the way to the final game? You haven't seen a team steal a series or even a game that meant everything? I mean being a Bruins fan you show know this....17 seconds smile

I’m pretty sure he’s not talking luck or flukes. He’s talking the whole package and a season worth of proving a team’s worth. In that regard I think a wild card spot is at least a start. 17 seconds, let alone that season, wasn’t luck or a fluke, the hawks were just better than everyone that year. That was 7 years ago though, how we looking compared to the bruins? Not for the future, simply cuz “one goal” and “win now,” just at present.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 3:07 a.m.
Edited Aug. 7, 2020 at 3:21 a.m.
I’m pretty sure he’s not talking luck or flukes. He’s talking the whole package and a season worth of proving a team’s worth. In that regard I think a wild card spot is at least a start. 17 seconds, let alone that season, wasn’t luck or a fluke, the hawks were just better than everyone that year. That was 7 years ago though, how we looking compared to the bruins? Not for the future, simply cuz “one goal” and “win now,” just at present.

My point is the amount of parity in the league and often that is determined in big games by luck or flukes. That is hockey. This isn't baseball, basketball or football. Teams can go from bad one year to good the next, that is how close the league is. The Hawks are one really good top 9 player away from making the playoffs straight up (not a wildcard) and a top line LHD from competing to go all the way. That is the parity of the league. The Hawks are also the youngest team out of the 24 in the playoffs right now and top 5 youngest teams in the league. This ship is turning around and unlike basketball, baseball and even football, in the NHL that can happen quickly.

I know you are constantly negative as evidence by your posts above and as I have yet to see a positive post you make about the blackhawks, but if you open your eyes, there is plenty to be positive about this team...dach, boqvist, mitchell, kubalik, cat, strome, Kampf, Highmore, nylander....all under the age 25 or younger....name a team with that much youth in volume that is better then the Hawks?

You know, sometimes the sky is not falling Hatter and at the end of he day, it's only a sport. None of us play for the team or collect a paycheck from them; if this is the way you need to get negative energy out in your life then by all means as you aren't hurting anyone, but otherwise, be reasonable and at least objective.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 3:16 a.m.
My point is the amount of parity in the league and often that is determined in big games by luck or flukes. That is hockey. This isn't baseball, basketball or football. Teams can go from bad one year to good the next, that is how close the league is. The Hawks are one solid player top 9 player away from making the playoffs (not a wildcard) and a top line LHD from competing to go all the way. That is the parity of the league. The Hawks are also the youngest team out of the 24 in the playoffs right now and top 5 youngest teams in the league. This ship is turning around and unlike basketball, baseball and even football, in the NHL that can happen quickly.

You are right, hockey changes that quickly. But the flip side to your ship analogy is that a lot of the potential this hawks team has has got to develop the way we want it AND navigate a salary cap that is unforgiving. So, while the ship is turning around as you put it, bowman is still the captain and he has a lot of cadets that need to be what we expect them to be to get the ship on track. This team shouldn’t be where it is. We all know that and they’re definitely making the most of it against a team as flawed as we are. But we’ve still sucked in the regular season for three years in a row. If that changes next year, I can start to regain faith in both their ability as a team and their desire. Yes, their desire.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 3:24 a.m.
You are right, hockey changes that quickly. But the flip side to your ship analogy is that a lot of the potential this hawks team has has got to develop the way we want it AND navigate a salary cap that is unforgiving. So, while the ship is turning around as you put it, bowman is still the captain and he has a lot of cadets that need to be what we expect them to be to get the ship on track. This team shouldn’t be where it is. We all know that and they’re definitely making the most of it against a team as flawed as we are. But we’ve still sucked in the regular season for three years in a row. If that changes next year, I can start to regain faith in both their ability as a team and their desire. Yes, their desire.

see my edit above...
Aug. 7, 2020 at 4:14 a.m.
see my edit above...

Look, I get that everyone takes me as negative. I am, the last three years have definitely hurt. But I love a lot of the young talent on this team. I love boqvist, Mitchell, kubalik, and cat. Kampf and highmore are proving to be good depth. Strome is just not a player I see around in the next year or two. Nylander is a guy I really really am trying to like, but the passion and inconsistency is tough. Lots of potential though. Those are positive parts of the machine (save for my opinion on strome). Of course the team has plenty of potential, but it’s not unreasonable to say they haven’t won anything let alone gotten close. That’s just fact. Do I worry that this team will be lost without toews and Kane? Yes I do. But that’s what potential is, it’s getting answers in the future. I’m as unbiased as I can with the hawks because that’s just how I am with hockey. Doesn’t mean I don’t love this team. Just means they still have a ****load to prove. Objectively the have a bright future. Subjectively, I agree with the objective. I just refuse to show blind faith, that’s all.

As for teams with more youth in volume, I don’t understand what the point is there. Judging by the names you brought up, you mean in the team itself. If so, then sure, but I’m pretty sure being the youngest team in the playoffs entails that. But as for prospect pools, there’s obviously plenty of other teams with better. Ottawa and Colorado are the two easy ones.

You can write me off as perennially negative. I get why you think that. But even in their dynasty years, I still addressed negatives in team. But whereas you think this is a team of world beaters, I still see the three or four teams in this conference who can still beat them. All this team is though is potential.

I’m not biased enough to solely focus on the positive though. I praise plenty of the youngsters but am critical at the same time. So to say it’s all negative, sorry, but I’ve mentioned many times the youngsters that I do like.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 7:11 a.m.
Bcarlo25

Of course I’ve seen a team sneak in and make a run, but I wouldn’t call them a contender. Again, all i was asking for was clarity. If this dude was like, “contend for a playoff spot because then anything can happen,” i wouldn’t have had an issue with it. If he said, “this team is a legit Stanley cup contender,” i would laugh and move on.
Aug. 7, 2020 at 9:05 a.m.
Nylander for josh Anderson swap isn't worth it. Josh Anderson will get paid much more than what you have here

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll