So youre telling me there is a 125 Chance - Pens WIP

Created by: PensGM2019
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2020
Published: Aug. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So you’re telling me there is a 12.5% Chance – Pens:
So in this capfriendly team I will go through what I think the Pens will do if they happen to win the No. 1 overall pick. I am also sharing this with a message board I talk on so this post will be a work in Progress. I will drop the (WIP) when I think it’s complete/realistic.
1. So first action of business is we draft Alexis Lafreniere and sign him to the max $925,000/yr. for three years on his ELC. Now Alex plays LW so in this instance we will not move him off his natural position and instead flip the other winger to RW. In this case we will place him on Line 1 with Crosby and flip Zucker to RW. I am moving Zucker up to line 1 because he will create speed on this line. It also allows Jake to drop to LW on line two with Malkin and fixes two lines in one move.
2. From here we can look at line 4 of ZAR – Teddy – Tanev and leave that as line 4. This line shows a little bit of everything and I think this line works for Pittsburgh as a very solid fourth line.
3. Now the first transaction is the goalie situation:
a. Move up Casey Desmith from AHL onto NHL as goalie #2
b. Sign Jarry to a $3.5Mx4 year deal
c. Now Matt Murray, trade Murray to Buffalo for Montour on D. Both players are RFAs so no dollars exchanged in this instance. This move will give Buffalo a better goalie for the future and Penguins acquire a D man. For Montour I will sign him to a $4.5M x 3 year deal.
4. Now that we have acquired Montour let us see where we are on the DP as of now:
a. DP 1 : Dumo – Letang
b. DP 2: Marino – Montour
c. DP 3: Johnson – Pettersson
d. Extra: Ruhwedel
5. First action is to call up POJ. He will be on the big club next year and this will provide a big opportunity for him to learn and grow his skills.
6. Second action on defense is to get Jack Johnson off the roster. At this point Jack Johnson value is very low. My thought here is in this scenario given his status around the league and friendship with Crosby is to move him verse buying out. In this case I add a prospect for Ottawa to take Jack Johnson and in return gain a 6th round pick in 2020.
7. After these two moves we now move forward with a D pair of the following:
a. DP 1: Dumo – Letang
b. DP 2: Marino – Montour
c. DP 3: Ruhwedel – Pettersson
d. Extra: POJ
8. Our next order of business is moving Nick Bjustad. Nick had a hard time in Pittsburgh fighting injuries but I think Nick in a good situation can bring some needed energy. In this instance I look to Minnesota. For taking Nick I also ironically add the rights to Mcann as part of the deal in return for Jordan Greenway who will go onto the in progress line 3.
9. Next order of business is to resign Sam Lafferty to a $850,000 x 2 year deal as an extra forward.
10. With the remaining dollars Pittsburgh will sign two UFA’s:
a. The first priority is finding a new 3C that will allow Hornqvist to go to front of net and Greenway to skate the puck and shoot. Looking at available FA I had the following options:
i. Zemgus Girgensons – Good player and I think could thrive in a more open offense.
ii. Erik Haula – Did wonderful things in Vegas and has some raw talent.
b. In this instance we take Haula for $3.5 x 2 years.
11. From here this is where things get a little interesting. We have the following options:
a. Resign Simon to x dollars
b. Bring up Sam Poulin and let him grow
c. Sign another Free Agent
i. For this example I have decided to let Simon walk and let Poulin come up and get NHL experience. My thought is it allows him to develop and he could play when someone is struggling. He also has the two-way contract so it provides flexibility. I also like this idea because it integrates the veterans like Letang/Crosby/Malkin with the young guys like Lafferty/Poulin/POJ.
Understand this is a working team and I will update as I get some feedback from my message board. Thanks for reading.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
3$4,500,000
3$2,500,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Lafreniere, Alexis
3$925,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Montour, Brandon [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. 2020 6th round pick (SJS)
PIT
  1. Greenway, Jordan [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,032,675$0$1,062,500$3,467,325
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Lafreniere, Alexis
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$850,000$850,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
C, LW
RFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
No way to I want to play Petterson and Ruhwedel on their off-handed side. Nor do I want to split up Marino and Petterson who was our best d pair vs Montreal.
Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Montour
POJ-Ruhwedel as the two extra D cause sully tends to go with 2 extra D over 2 extra forwards.

Don’t really need Huala.
Lafferty could fit in nicely in the 3rd line. Move Hornqvist to line 2 because that line will get more o-zone time, making him more effective. Rust to line 3. A Greenway-Lafferty-Rust line would be fast, pesky, energetic, and have some scoring touch. Basically a more skilled version of the fourth line.

Just my two cents on it. I think it’s a solid idea on the trades.
PensGM2019 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:13 p.m.
Nobody wants murray lol
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
What in tarnation
Dunno if Hållander is good enough compensation of taking that damn pylon with a very long contract.

Dig the BUF trade though. MIN trade is also OK. Would have to imagine that PIT takes some salary back from the MIN trade though. Bjugstad+McCann will likely cost $7M+ when you got Greenway for only $2,5M...
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
Sabres fan
We all watched Murray’s trade value take a nose dive in the last week. Buffalo doesn’t give up Montour for just him now.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Quoting: Pensfan89
No way to I want to play Petterson and Ruhwedel on their off-handed side. Nor do I want to split up Marino and Petterson who was our best d pair vs Montreal.
Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Montour
POJ-Ruhwedel as the two extra D cause sully tends to go with 2 extra D over 2 extra forwards.

Wasn't really focused on who plays what side at the moment...just the names. Thanks for the input though. This is a WIP so please keep eye on it as I update. I think can change title as I update to.

Don’t really need Huala.
Lafferty could fit in nicely in the 3rd line. Move Hornqvist to line 2 because that line will get more o-zone time, making him more effective. Rust to line 3. A Greenway-Lafferty-Rust line would be fast, pesky, energetic, and have some scoring touch. Basically a more skilled version of the fourth line.

Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Dunno if Hållander is good enough compensation of taking that damn pylon with a very long contract.

Dig the BUF trade though. MIN trade is also OK. Would have to imagine that PIT takes some salary back from the MIN trade though. Bjugstad+McCann will likely cost $7M+ when you got Greenway for only $2,5M...

Who would you suggest as the prospect in this one? Don't say Poulin cause that is not realistic.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Montour

Don’t really need Huala.

Hey sorry for the double post...replying is odd on this site. I was just focused on the names and not necessarily which side, appreciate feedback though. Keep an eye on this though cause I will discuss with messageboard I'm on and make edits.
Pensfan89 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
Quoting: Tjm220
We all watched Murray’s trade value take a nose dive in the last week. Buffalo doesn’t give up Montour for just him now.

Well I can not exactly give him away for nothing. What would you suggest?
Aug. 8, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: PensGM2019
Who would you suggest as the prospect in this one? Don't say Poulin cause that is not realistic.

I'd say 2021 1st round pick.

That's what it should cost to dump dead cap for 3 years.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
Sabres fan
Quoting: PensGM2019
Well I can not exactly give him away for nothing. What would you suggest?

It’s not to say he doesn’t have value, but it’s taking a definite hit. I used to think Buffalo might be a perfect spot for him to land, but I’m not so sure anymore. With 2/3 of the league in Cap hell, too few teams can afford to pick up money. That leaves 1/3 holding everyone else by the balls. If you want relief you’re going to have to take what they will be willing to give.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:35 p.m.
I'd say 2021 1st round pick.

That's what it should cost to dump dead cap for 3 years.

Nahhh that’s unrealistic. Jack Johnson only has 3 years left on his contract and can be sent down to the minors. So his contract realistically (as a dead cap) is only 2.25 million over 3 years.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
What in tarnation
Nahhh that’s unrealistic. Jack Johnson only has 3 years left on his contract and can be sent down to the minors. So his contract realistically (as a dead cap) is only 2.25 million over 3 years.

Three years is surprisingly long for an AHL level player earning $3M+ a year.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:51 p.m.
Three years is surprisingly long for an AHL level player earning $3M+ a year.

Not for a team that only spends to the cap floor.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
Not for a team that only spends to the cap floor.

There's no such team in the league. No one is doing any favors for Pens with taking Johnson without good compensation.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
There's no such team in the league. No one is doing any favors for Pens with taking Johnson without good compensation.

There are several teams. The devils and the Sens to name 2 off the top of the head. And I never said they’d do it without compensation. However a 1st is very unrealistic for a player that doesn’t have a NTC, a NMC, and doesn’t have a very large cap hit. Especially taking into consideration sending him to the AHL knocks just over 1 million of the cap hit off. And his buyout option isn’t bad dollars wise. Just length wise right now.
It’s not like the Marleau situation where the team trying to trade the player is desperate for cap space, the player they want to trade is old, has a full NTC and NMC, only willing to be traded to 1 specific team (that lacks cap space) or one that will buy him out so he can sign with said specific team. I think Hallander and a 4th/5th as compensation is fair.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
What in tarnation
There are several teams. The devils and the Sens to name 2 off the top of the head. And I never said they’d do it without compensation. However a 1st is very unrealistic for a player that doesn’t have a NTC, a NMC, and doesn’t have a very large cap hit. Especially taking into consideration sending him to the AHL knocks just over 1 million of the cap hit off. And his buyout option isn’t bad dollars wise. Just length wise right now.
It’s not like the Marleau situation where the team trying to trade the player is desperate for cap space, the player they want to trade is old, has a full NTC and NMC, only willing to be traded to 1 specific team (that lacks cap space) or one that will buy him out so he can sign with said specific team. I think Hallander and a 4th/5th as compensation is fair.

Marleau situation was a bit different because he was a 35+ year old. The buyout cost was the exact same as his contract. It was natural that it'd cost a lot to dump him.

However long-term Johnson will cost more than Marleau. It's just divided in 3 different years. Knowing how tight Melnyk is with paying players, I don't see any way he'd take these assets.

Neither NJ or OTT has no problem to reach the cap floor. And literally no one needs or wants Johnson, so the compensation must be quite a good one.

Let's just say I'd be very surprised if some team actual takes Johnson's contract without a compensation equivalent to a 1st in value.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
Marleau situation was a bit different because he was a 35+ year old. The buyout cost was the exact same as his contract. It was natural that it'd cost a lot to dump him.

However long-term Johnson will cost more than Marleau. It's just divided in 3 different years. Knowing how tight Melnyk is with paying players, I don't see any way he'd take these assets.

Neither NJ or OTT has no problem to reach the cap floor. And literally no one needs or wants Johnson, so the compensation must be quite a good one.

Let's just say I'd be very surprised if some team actual takes Johnson's contract without a compensation equivalent to a 1st in value.

Well then the pens won’t trade him lol. The pens aren’t exactly desperate to. And I could see a team like NJ or Ottawa doing it for a free prospect or 2. Especially one a decent as Hallander. No team is worried as much about how much it pays over the duration. The big factor is cap hit per year. JJ’s buyout is cheap just over 6 years. A team like Ottawa it NJ could easily keep him in the ahl this upcoming year then buy him out to following. Easing the amount of years if it meant getting a decent prospect or 2.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Well then the pens won’t trade him lol. The pens aren’t exactly desperate to. And I could see a team like NJ or Ottawa doing it for a free prospect or 2. Especially one a decent as Hallander. No team is worried as much about how much it pays over the duration. The big factor is cap hit per year. JJ’s buyout is cheap just over 6 years. A team like Ottawa it NJ could easily keep him in the ahl this upcoming year then buy him out to following. Easing the amount of years if it meant getting a decent prospect or 2.

Even if it's a small buyout paying it for 4 years (or 6 in worse case) seems just a terrible idea.

Yeah Pens are stuck with the pylon if they won't pay accordingly, if you ask me.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:24 p.m.
Even if it's a small buyout paying it for 4 years (or 6 in worse case) seems just a terrible idea.

Yeah Pens are stuck with the pylon if they won't pay accordingly, if you ask me.

The pens would pay accordingly. A 1st is just unrealistic. A team like Nj who has the bulk of its roster signed through next year (including hischier signed long term) and has over 25 million in cap space would be smart to get another cost controlled piece or 2 like a Hallander that could contribute in a year or 2 just for taking on Johnson. Who they can then buyout after next year. His buyout would be 1.13 million, 1.88 million, 825k, 825k.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
What in tarnation
The pens would pay accordingly. A 1st is just unrealistic. A team like Nj who has the bulk of its roster signed through next year (including hischier signed long term) and has over 25 million in cap space would be smart to get another cost controlled piece or 2 like a Hallander that could contribute in a year or 2 just for taking on Johnson. Who they can then buyout after next year. His buyout would be 1.13 million, 1.88 million, 825k, 825k.

Yeah the money won't be an issue. The need is. Do NJ really need a prospect like Hållander that much they'd make a favor for a division rival currently in a bit of a struggle.

I'd say no. They're very stacked on the C department. Which is also the case with Sens as well.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:07 a.m.
Yeah the money won't be an issue. The need is. Do NJ really need a prospect like Hållander that much they'd make a favor for a division rival currently in a bit of a struggle.

I'd say no. They're very stacked on the C department. Which is also the case with Sens as well.

Mehhh nj isn’t really that stacked. And Zajac only has a year left on his contract anyway. Hallander would give them 4 centers for the next several years. But anyways, I don’t see the pens trading JJ this year anyway. I see them trading Hornqvist and Bjugstad before trading JJ.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
OTT decline.

Hallander isnt enough.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll