Forums/Armchair-GM

Major overhaul

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2020
Published: Aug. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Blockbuster trade with the Islanders, improves the Jets defense and takes some cap off of the Islanders hands, I think that deal is pretty self explanatory for both sides, Jets might need to add a bit here idk.
Haula is a stopgap 2C till either the center they should draft with their 1st round pick develops or something else can be figured out, this assumes they don't get 1st overall/Lafreniere.
Tierney is to improve the 3C position and build some better depth down the middle in case of injuries, Jets could maybe add another pick or B-prospect if necessary to get that done.
Anderson adds some size, the pick from the Jackets makes up for the RFA years difference between the two, Anderson likely walks but maybe not, one year show yourself deal for him, maybe the Jackets can make use of the hometown kid who can play center which the Jackets need, Maurice is just too stubborn to give him a chance playing down the middle even though he spent a whole AHL season playing center.
Yes Perreault is buried, needed the cap space and he hurts more then he helps at this point, dumping him would cost more then it's worth, always liked him but he's done I think.
Yes old man Wheeler goes on the 3rd line, some softer match ups and less minutes for him, I think that line could still contribute on the scoresheet and he'd still get powerplay time.
Perlini adds size on the 4th line, this assumes Detroit doesn't qualify him and he takes a bit less then his qualifying offer, doubt he'd find much better role or money elsewhere, maybe this change of scenery will work out for him, if not no big deal.
Tampa takes a 2nd in this draft and a B-prospect for Cernak, not sure if this is fair but I think it's close, could add another mid to late round pick if needed.
Berdin has a big camp, would love it if he could challenge big boring Hellebuyck, Berdin is way more fun to watch and he can actually play the puck.. Lol
I think Samberg was pretty much promised a spot so he starts on the 3rd pair, I think he and Miller would be fine as a bottom D pair, yes I have faith in Dahlstrom as a #7 and it's time to start calling up the kids for a look when there's injuries on the back end.
This team is bigger throughout the lineup but especially on D, has better depth to survive injuries and is a better balanced lineup overall, tight for cap space but I'm sure they could make it work, this also assumes Little is unfortunately going on LTIR which I'm 99.5% sure he is.
As for the expansion draft I think a trade would have to be worked out but that's to be figured out later.
Money/space for raises for Laine and Beauvillier would come from Lowry leaving in free agency and Copp likely dealt to Seattle, they'd be replaced internally by Gustafsson and other internal options.

So what say you CapFriendly critics, is this a better Jets team or not, fair trades or not? What needs to be added or subtracted in these deals? Are the contracts fair? All opinions welcome but let's keep it productive please and thanks!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$6,500,000
2$3,000,000
2$1,100,000
2$775,000
1$750,000
2$750,000
5$3,750,000
1$775,000
1$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
2$875,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Perlini, Brendan$775,000No Compensation
Trades
WPG
  1. Cernak, Erik [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. Gawanke, Leon
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Anderson, Josh [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 5th round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Roslovic, Jack [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Tierney, Chris [RFA Rights]
OTT
  1. Niku, Sami [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,166,667$0$150,000$5,333,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
LD
RFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
Not bad. I was talking with an Islander fan yesterday and we agreed on a Ehlers-Pulock base swap so I'd pull. Poolman, Pionk, Beauvillier and Leddy out of there to simplify that one. But at this point, is be willing to try almost anything within reason. I like how you laid out your reasoning.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
I really like what you did here. Players who actually know what defensive zone play is and players that aren't afraid to take it to the net and get into the dirty areas.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
Isles7
In terms of overall impact giving up beauvillier for Connor is pretty much a lateral move. Bellows instead of beau and I’d consider this deal.
TheWhiteWhale liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.
Isles555
Don’t think isles will likely give up beau anymore.. Connor is what you hope wahlstrom becomes maybe put him there instead of beau? Either way this is the most realistic blockbuster we’d likely see anytime soon pretty solid trade
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Isles777
In terms of overall impact giving up beauvillier for Connor is pretty much a lateral move. Bellows instead of beau and I’d consider this deal.

Quoting: Isles555
Don’t think isles will likely give up beau anymore.. Connor is what you hope wahlstrom becomes maybe put him there instead of beau? Either way this is the most realistic blockbuster we’d likely see anytime soon pretty solid trade

Thanks for the input, would really like Beauvillier but can see why you wouldn't want to part with him, not interested in Bellows myself, perhaps I'll have to try and rework this deal, what if the Jets took Hickey as well?
Isles777 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: bunzy1034
I really like what you did here. Players who actually know what defensive zone play is and players that aren't afraid to take it to the net and get into the dirty areas.

That's what I was trying to accomplish, a balance of grit and size but still with an offensive ability to create/score/finish when the opportunity is there, so tired of watching either soft players, stone hands or plugs, this gets rid of most of that.. Lol

I think this is all fairly realistic, can't see risk averse Chevy being this bold though.
bunzy1034 and Windjammer liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:49 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Thanks for the input, would really like Beauvillier but can see why you wouldn't want to part with him, not interested in Bellows myself, perhaps I'll have to try and rework this deal, what if the Jets took Hickey as well?

I can’t see the isles trading beau + pulock in any realistic trade - I think a trade revolving around pulock/Connor makes sense though.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 10:57 p.m.
Isles555
Quoting: Isles777
I can’t see the isles trading beau + pulock in any realistic trade - I think a trade revolving around pulock/Connor makes sense though.

This^
bunzy1034 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
I think this is all fairly realistic, can't see risk averse Chevy being this bold though.

I think that is the key. I think they would have a really hard time moving players who have committed to the team long term.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:16 p.m.
Kroger
Just from the playoffs, Beau looks like he's taken a major step so I don't think it's enticing enough to pull the trigger on it. Not to mention, after Barzal and, to a lesser extent, Toews get paid the Isles are right up against the cap. I don't see them committing to Connor's contract without finding a way to shed either the Ladd or Boychuk contracts. Possibly a 3rd team steps in.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:19 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Windjammer
I think that is the key. I think they would have a really hard time moving players who have committed to the team long term.

Yeah and I've commented here before about how careful the organization has to be with that, just feel like something needs to be done and a bigger move is necessary, having said that I often feel like some minor tweaking around the edges would go a long way with this team but ChevyDayOff doesn't really do that either unless it's coming free on the waiver wire.. Lol

Seeing how good Namestnikov looks on the Avs makes me even more pissed Chevy didn't send a measly 4th round pick for him, so many minor trades happen for low value picks that always have me saying 'why didn't Chevy make that trade?',idk, just feels like the holes are bigger than most think and maybe trading a core guy to fill a hole is necessary?
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:32 p.m.
Yeah and I've commented here before about how careful the organization has to be with that, just feel like something needs to be done and a bigger move is necessary, having said that I often feel like some minor tweaking around the edges would go a long way with this team but ChevyDayOff doesn't really do that either unless it's coming free on the waiver wire.. Lol

Seeing how good Namestnikov looks on the Avs makes me even more pissed Chevy didn't send a measly 4th round pick for him, so many minor trades happen for low value picks that always have me saying 'why didn't Chevy make that trade?',idk, just feels like the holes are bigger than most think and maybe trading a core guy to fill a hole is necessary?

Again, I'm with you most of the way. I can't really blame Chevy for deals like Namestnikov though because we just don't know if he was offered the same deal or if it was a deal between two old friends. It's just hard to say. I also wouldn't want a GM that makes trades just to make trades.

Besides all that, I agree that we may need to move a core guy to obtain a different core piece. Something is missing from this teams chemistry, so I'm open to almost any sensible deals that would help the team.

I just don't want us wasting resources on temporary fixes, throwing away young guys for guys that are good now, but exiting their prime. Or throwing away a core guy for shiny new toys (prospects/picks). That just makes the road to contention longer.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:56 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Windjammer
Again, I'm with you most of the way. I can't really blame Chevy for deals like Namestnikov though because we just don't know if he was offered the same deal or if it was a deal between two old friends. It's just hard to say. I also wouldn't want a GM that makes trades just to make trades.

Besides all that, I agree that we may need to move a core guy to obtain a different core piece. Something is missing from this teams chemistry, so I'm open to almost any sensible deals that would help the team.

I just don't want us wasting resources on temporary fixes, throwing away young guys for guys that are good now, but exiting their prime. Or throwing away a core guy for shiny new toys (prospects/picks). That just makes the road to contention longer.

Well I guess but as a fan we can only compare and look at what actually happens to bade our opinions on and just to use Namestnikov as an example again he was traded twice this year and both times for a 4th, I get some GM's have built relationships with others but like I just don't see how so many minor deals happen that Chevy is never in on but if there's something free on the waiver wire well look out his finger is ready to hit that claim button.. Lol
Seriously though I think he's just WAY too worried about the draft and building from within which I fully understand when it comes to 1st and 2nd round picks but anything beyond that should be on the market if there's a guy available who can help your team, idk it's like he's worried if he trades a 4th or 5th round pick he might miss out on finding that 'diamond in the rough' player but those guys often take 3 years at least before they even come close to just playing an NHL game, the clock is ticking on Schiefeles prime, Wheeler is 34 soon and a few core pieces are locked in for good value deals so if there's a trade out there for a guy who can help and it only costs a 4th I say make the damn trade! I'm not saying make trades just to make trades but I'm sorry he's just way too inactive building this roster.

I agree something doesn't look right, idk what the exact fix is and I've been apprehensive to see a core piece dealt as I like most of this teams core players but it feels like a big change is necessary, I think the coach or coached might be the issue but he isn't going anywhere imo.

I agree with not wasting assets on short term help, I detest pricey rentals like the Stastny and Hayes trades but if it takes trading a 1st round pick or an A-prospect to get a guy either with a lot of term or an RFA that can be signed long term that can fill a big hole then I'm all for it, waiting for every pick or prospect to develop into what you need can make the road to contention even longer, actually I think that's a big part of why they're in this mess, the fear of parting with an asset for something you need or the thinking that holes can be filled internally through the draft.
I'd rather slightly overpay for a controlled asset then see almost the same thing traded for a rental.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 12:26 a.m.
Well I guess but as a fan we can only compare and look at what actually happens to bade our opinions on and just to use Namestnikov as an example again he was traded twice this year and both times for a 4th, I get some GM's have built relationships with others but like I just don't see how so many minor deals happen that Chevy is never in on but if there's something free on the waiver wire well look out his finger is ready to hit that claim button.. Lol
Seriously though I think he's just WAY too worried about the draft and building from within which I fully understand when it comes to 1st and 2nd round picks but anything beyond that should be on the market if there's a guy available who can help your team, idk it's like he's worried if he trades a 4th or 5th round pick he might miss out on finding that 'diamond in the rough' player but those guys often take 3 years at least before they even come close to just playing an NHL game, the clock is ticking on Schiefeles prime, Wheeler is 34 soon and a few core pieces are locked in for good value deals so if there's a trade out there for a guy who can help and it only costs a 4th I say make the damn trade! I'm not saying make trades just to make trades but I'm sorry he's just way too inactive building this roster.

I agree something doesn't look right, idk what the exact fix is and I've been apprehensive to see a core piece dealt as I like most of this teams core players but it feels like a big change is necessary, I think the coach or coached might be the issue but he isn't going anywhere imo.

I agree with not wasting assets on short term help, I detest pricey rentals like the Stastny and Hayes trades but if it takes trading a 1st round pick or an A-prospect to get a guy either with a lot of term or an RFA that can be signed long term that can fill a big hole then I'm all for it, waiting for every pick or prospect to develop into what you need can make the road to contention even longer, actually I think that's a big part of why they're in this mess, the fear of parting with an asset for something you need or the thinking that holes can be filled internally through the draft.
I'd rather slightly overpay for a controlled asset then see almost the same thing traded for a rental.

Yeah, I don't know about the reluctance to move 3rd round and on picks either. It's maybe like tunnel vision? They are so dead set on draft and develop that it is the only thing they see?

I think we'll have a good indication of how serious they are about winning with this core this summer. They know we have at least the serious hole at 2C and they know they need to fix it. So with any luck, we'll see some action.

The only thing is, they are so tight lipped, that Chevy may be trying like crazy, but not making any headway and it will look like he's not doing nothing because they don't comment on their plans.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
mostly harmless
We've got plenty of wingers and/or depth centers (depending on which one counts Roslovic as), so trading Anderson for one doesn't really make sense. (Even if I am slightly infatuated with the idea of bringing Roz home.)
Aug. 9, 2020 at 12:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Viqsi
We've got plenty of wingers and/or depth centers (depending on which one counts Roslovic as), so trading Anderson for one doesn't really make sense. (Even if I am slightly infatuated with the idea of bringing Roz home.)

Yeah I wasn't sure how that trade would work for Columbus as they're flush with RW's and need a center but Roslovic has played center a few times this season and to me and many others he was actually better playing down the middle but Maurice just couldn't leave well enough alone and some other injuries happened or someone else returned from an injury or something and he put Roslovic back on the wing, he could potentially be a center option for the Jackets but that'd depend on Torts and I'm not sure if he's really a Torts type of player.. Lol

I figured that with all the RW's the Jackets have and Anderson having a down year at worst it's a change of scenery swap for both teams, maybe Roslovic gets a shot at 2 or 3C with the Jackets and flourishes and the Jets get a bigger winger which they need.

Idk what happens with either guy but will be interesting to see how both these teams deal with these guys plus there's expansion draft considerations coming soon as well, thanks for commenting and your input, GO Jackets!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll