Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 19, 2020
Published: Aug. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issues Going Forward and How to Address Them
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long term: aging core (address by insulating them with wingers that can actually generate on their own and don't need propped up by elite C play, utilizing every single roster spot to its maximum potential because there's less margin for error now, do whatever it takes to trim any fat on the roster to get there)

Short term: mediocre starting goaltending, bad 3rd F line, comically bad 3rd D pair (address by trades and signings such as MM for a rental and draft picks and allowing Jarry to take over, parting with Hornqvist for admittedly not too much in return to be able to sign Craig Smith, trading for a known commodity at C in JStaal to bring stability to L3, trading a pick and a skilled young 2C/3C/top 6 winger to a team that can better afford him more time to gain consistency to get rid of the bad Johnson contract while simultaneously revamping the 3rd pair)

------------
Notes
------------
- JStaal as the 3C solution isn't foolproof because although we know what he is and the underlying numbers are still great for the most part, he is getting older. That's why the other 3C option I'd been interested in is Colin White. However, he's probably even riskier when you consider his diminished play away from elite talent and his contract situation. The risk is higher with White but so is the reward. I go with JStaal here because I view him as a slightly safer option.

- if you don't want to indulge in the Lafreniere part of this fantasy feel free to mentally substitute him for the frenchy the Pens already have (Samuel Poulin)

- Penguins definitely lose a lot of these deals from a pure value standpoint but the end product is well worth it

-----------------
Rationale
-----------------
Hornqvist and Smith:
fellow Pens fans might balk the Horny deal but he's an aging player being paid a decent amount of money. He's a warrior and has every single intangible a young learning team like OTT would want in the supporting cast but they still aren't necessarily gonna give up much for it. And when/if Seattle takes Tanev in the expansion draft, Hawryluk is perfect bottom six replacement as a fast, hit-happy winger with good shot suppression/defense and some pedigree who can play any F position. Trading Horny hurts a lot but the Penguins are an aging team that has plenty of leadership and playoff experience. It frees up $ that can go to Smith who is a more than an adequate replacement as a similarly gritty 20G guy with a never ending motor. He might not have Hornqvist's reputation but he's slightly younger, cheaper, and way faster. One of the more underrated bottom six guys in the league and a guy who wouldn't be out of place in the top six. He seems like the perfect Sullivan player and an ideal fit for PIT's system. He generates shots at a crazy rate and his xG is through the roof. Not bad at the suppression end of things either.

Saad, Staal, and Smith:
Simon/Marleau/X-McCann-Horny is lifeless and obviously Pens shouldn't go into next year with anything resembling that next season. Enter an established shutdown 3C and two wingers who also have historically had very good defensive impacts while not being slouches on offense either. All three of these guys are elite at driving play. Their problem is they're not great finishers. How do you combat that? Get the chance-generation beasts together so they generate so many shots their lack of finishing talent matters less. Your shooting percentage being in the gutter would seem to matter a lot less when you're shooting and facilitating shots all shift. Puck luck starts to come in at some point and you start capitalizing through sheer volume alone. And even if that scoring uptick doesn't materialize, they will be suffocating through puck possession and defense via offense while still maintaining their shot suppression talents in the D zone if needed. Something tells me they won't be in their own zone much but they still know what to do if they find themselves there.

McCabe-Miller:
Pens have to part with a young player who was a capable 2C when Crosby went down this past season (along with a 3rd round pick) just to get rid of JJ but he is bad and that's the price you have to pay to fix stupid mistakes. BUF isn't going to help PIT out from the goodness of their hearts. BUF only has to part with 3rd pair D men one of which is an expiring contract and the other of which is UFA in two years and superfluous with the crazy amount of younger better and cheaper RHD on the roster. In turn they get a young 2C/3C/top 6 winger and only have to put up with a bad D man on their bottom pair for like 1 or2 years when they aren't going to truly contend for the Cup anyway. They can buy him out if they start turning around ahead of schedule and the cap hit will be negligible, especially in a year or two. In the meantime they get a bit more draft capital that they desperately need and a an extremely cheap, speedy young C with upside for expiring 3rd pairing D men.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
3$1,500,000
2$900,000
3$3,000,000
2$900,000
3$5,750,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Lafreniere, Alexis
3$925,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Saad, Brandon ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (CHI)
  3. 2021 6th round pick (CHI)
PIT
  1. McCabe, Jake
  2. Miller, Colin ($1,875,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. McCann, Jared
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (CHI)
PIT
  1. Hawryluk, Jayce [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 4th round pick (OTT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,150,175$0$850,000$3,349,825

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Lafreniere, Alexis
$925,000$925,000
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:24 p.m.
Staal will remain a Cane unless someone pries him from Brind'Amour's hands.

with flat cap years, competitors arent going to give Pittsburgh cap help.
Yeah Buffalo isn’t doing that.
Jet69
I can definitely see Bettman gifting either Pittsburgh or NYR the 1OA.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Idk about all those trades but the lines should be

Guentzel crosby saad
Zucker malkin rust
Laf staal smith
Zar blue tanev
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Saad (3mil) + number 46 + number 79 for number 15 and Murray?
RussianFactor liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Wow the hawks decline. It's funny how you say one of the teams issues is having a mediocre starting goalie, then you trade him for a top 6 forwards, a 3rd, 6th, and make the hawks take a cap dump. You're contradicting yourself. Saad is worth a 1st all day long. Probably could get a B level prospect back as well. You aren't getting him, 2 picks, and making us take a cap dump for a "mediocre" goalie. Just about every hawks fan is gonna jump down your throat when they see this and pens fans will come back saying he's worth 2 1st's cuz he won 2 cups (so did saad by the way)
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
Pop Pop
Buffalo isn't doing that. If they get laf the forward group should be good enough without having to remake the entire 3rd line. Get bonino back cheap from Nashville and you're fine. Concentrate on the blue line for sure.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
The Hornqvist deal is one that in almost any other off-season I would love, but this off-season OTT will be using their few roster spots and vast cap room to BUILD, not to give away picks in order to add vets who have multiple years remaining on their deals. Sorry to pass, I think Hornqvist is a solid guy the kids could learn from. It's just not in the cards; we're sticking to the rebuild plan.
RussianFactor and PLDGEY liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Carolina aren't retaining ANYTHING, and they're sure as hell not trading their captain in division for this
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres923

Depends on their assessment of where they are at. I think they're in the "we gotta make the playoffs but we're not necessarily contenders" stage. If that's the case, a ****ty 3rd pair D man is not that big of a deal if you get assets that will help you more in 2 years or so. They need cheap young center to push Johansson to his proper role on LW. I think McCann would be perfect for that but your mileage may vary there.

Quoting: jgimp69
I can definitely see Bettman gifting either Pittsburgh or NYR the 1OA.

It is a lot of fun that we have ready made conspiracies for just about any of the play-in losers getting 1OA. NYR, PIT, EDM, TOR winning will all make the hockey world go full Alex Jones. Gotta love it

Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Idk about all those trades but the lines should be

Guentzel crosby saad
Zucker malkin rust
Laf staal smith
Zar blue tanev

Saad very well could be an amazing partner with Sid but idk about Zucker-Malkin-Rust. Seemed ineffective this postseason.

Quoting: Wadejos123
Wow the hawks decline. It's funny how you say one of the teams issues is having a mediocre starting goalie, then you trade him for a top 6 forwards, a 3rd, 6th, and make the hawks take a cap dump. You're contradicting yourself. Saad is worth a 1st all day long. Probably could get a B level prospect back as well. You aren't getting him, 2 picks, and making us take a cap dump for a "mediocre" goalie. Just about every hawks fan is gonna jump down your throat when they see this and pens fans will come back saying he's worth 2 1st's cuz he won 2 cups (so did saad by the way)

Me saying our goaltending was mediocre is technically not the same as me saying MM is mediocre, but FWIW I do hold that opinion. But that's just the thing, that is MY assessment of him. Not the leagues. He's up and down like just about any goalie but his "up" play is winning two Stanley Cups. Is he truly that player? IDK. But that why he isn't going for a 1st. There's doubt. Which is why he's recouping a couple of mid round picks and a rental. As for Saad, I find your valuation of him pretty crazy. He's a fancy stats darling but good luck finding someone to pay a 1st for a rental paid too much who doesn't score.

Quoting: Jfstompers
Buffalo isn't doing that. If they get laf the forward group should be good enough without having to remake the entire 3rd line. Get bonino back cheap from Nashville and you're fine. Concentrate on the blue line for sure.

I actually agree that a shakeup is less needed than most fellow Pens fans would indicate but if PIT does wanna get crazy I think this is a good way to go for it. I worry we'll throw away the baby with the bathwater in order to change for the sake of change. Giving the 3L and 3rd pair a new look seems like a good middleground to blowing **** up to me.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: RussianFactor
Depends on their assessment of where they are at. I think they're in the "we gotta make the playoffs but we're not necessarily contenders" stage. If that's the case, a ****ty 3rd pair D man is not that big of a deal if you get assets that will help you more in 2 years or so. They need cheap young center to push Johansson to his proper role on LW. I think McCann would be perfect for that but your mileage may vary there.

It is a lot of fun that we have ready made conspiracies for just about any of the play-in losers getting 1OA. NYR, PIT, EDM, TOR winning will all make the hockey world go full Alex Jones. Gotta love it

Saad very well could be an amazing partner with Sid but idk about Zucker-Malkin-Rust. Seemed ineffective this postseason.

Me saying our goaltending was mediocre is technically not the same as me saying MM is mediocre, but FWIW I do hold that opinion. But that's just the thing, that is MY assessment of him. Not the leagues. He's up and down like just about any goalie but his "up" play is winning two Stanley Cups. Is he truly that player? IDK. But that why he isn't going for a 1st. There's doubt. Which is why he's recouping a couple of mid round picks and a rental. As for Saad, I find your valuation of him pretty crazy. He's a fancy stats darling but good luck finding someone to pay a 1st for a rental paid too much who doesn't score.

I actually agree that a shakeup is less needed than most fellow Pens fans would indicate but if PIT does wanna get crazy I think this is a good way to go for it. I worry we'll throw away the baby with the bathwater in order to change for the sake of change. Giving the 3L and 3rd pair a new look seems like a good middleground to blowing **** up to me.

1 Sabres don’t cap the money to take on a cap dump for 3 more years.
2 Along with trading 2 defenseman that are better than Johnson and retaining salary?!
Yes it’s a big deal, they have young LHD in Rochester that they can just use instead.
gretzkyghosts and dzmets liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
Staal will remain a Cane unless someone pries him from Brind'Amour's hands.

with flat cap years, competitors arent going to give Pittsburgh cap help.

PIT is giving the Canes cap help here. Not sure what you mean there. If it's a value question, Simon and Staal are similar players in that their underlying numbers are fantastic but they don't score nearly as much as they should. However, Staal is paid way way more than Simon will command (likely 2M at most) and is far older. Dispense with sentimental attachment and CAR wins pretty big here. They get a pretty good defensive C/W prospect in the Alex Steen mold to boot for a bit of retention, which is totally fair. I'm not sure a single other team is taking Staal on without it. You're getting value and cap relief for an aging expensive player who just put up 27 points last year. I like JStaal too but you gotta be reasonable in your assessment of him. He has major warts.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
PIT is giving the Canes cap help here. Not sure what you mean there. If it's a value question, Simon and Staal are similar players in that their underlying numbers are fantastic but they don't score nearly as much as they should. However, Staal is paid way way more than Simon will command (likely 2M at most) and is far older. Dispense with sentimental attachment and CAR wins pretty big here. They get a pretty good defensive C/W prospect in the Alex Steen mold to boot for a bit of retention, which is totally fair. I'm not sure a single other team is taking Staal on without it. You're getting value and cap relief for an aging expensive player who just put up 27 points last year. I like JStaal too but you gotta be reasonable in your assessment of him. He has major warts.

I do enjoy people wanting to acquire someone because of their skills but then saying their team is doing the other team a favor by taking them. Staal is a much better shutdown guy than Simon. Canes arent trying and arent going to try to move Staal. He is the Captain, the most sound center (i didnt say scorer) on the team, although Rod is starting to warm up to Trocheck, and no one wants to play against him.

What do I mean by doing Pitt a cap favor? I.e. retaining cap hits for a player that you covet.
dzmets liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Hornquist NTC stops the silliness about a trade to Ottawa. Buffalo doesn't want Johnson anymore than you do.
dzmets liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
I do enjoy people wanting to acquire someone because of their skills but then saying their team is doing the other team a favor by taking them. Staal is a much better shutdown guy than Simon. Canes arent trying and arent going to try to move Staal. He is the Captain, the most sound center (i didnt say scorer) on the team, although Rod is starting to warm up to Trocheck, and no one wants to play against him.

What do I mean by doing Pitt a cap favor? I.e. retaining cap hits for a player that you covet.

I don't think PIT is doing CAR a favor, I think they're engaging in a mutually beneficial trade that CAR wins only from a pure value standpoint. Which is why its strange that you're harping on the flat cap aspect. That's precisely why CAR wins here. They gain 3M in cap space from this move and get a very good young roster player and a prospect in the process. I don't understand how Staal has to be kept at all costs with Trocheck at 2C and Geekie likely ready for 3C. This is actually the perfect time to move on from Staal for CAR and the perfect time for PIT to acquire him. The cost is cheaper because of the danger of his age, contract, and most recent offensive output which is why it works for PIT. Pointing out the factors bringing down the value of a player I think would be effective for PIT is not being contradictory. Value is not necessarily = to effectiveness. Which is why you'll see very few people arguing that Parise or Suter aren't effective players. But you'll also find that no one is lining up to take on those contracts either.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Hornquist NTC stops the silliness about a trade to Ottawa. Buffalo doesn't want Johnson anymore than you do.

Point well taken re: Hornqvist trade. Situation with moving him remains similar however. With a NTC to deal with you likely deal with playoff bubble teams and still aren't getting much back. That's true whether the receiving team wants him to be the spark for a lackluster playoff-bound group or the living embodiment of how to make it in the league for a young building team. He has a lot of value on the ice and even off it but the other factors (contract, age) drive his value down in trades regardless.

And of course BUF doesn't want JJ. No one does. That's why he's a cap dump attached to a good young cost-controlled C and draft pick who are only getting back expiring 3rd pair guys. If that's not enough, sure that can be debated. It essentially hinges on your valuation of Jared McCann. Mine is lower on him than most but I'm definitely in the minority. If BUF thinks they can get a 23 y/o guy to grow into 2C for 3M I think they do it.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Lets go Buffalo
Quoting: Sabres923

Buffalo does not want Jack Johnson
dzmets and Tjm220 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: Sabresfan7
Buffalo does not want Jack Johnson

Ah darn. I hadn't considered this
Aug. 9, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Sabres are elite
I'll give you Montour and a 2nd for McCann and a 3rd
dzmets liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.

Saad as on pace for 30 goals this year and has already scored twice in the play in series. Know your facts before you say he doesn't score lol. Funny how you try to talk him down though so you can justify getting him for cheap. Since you don't seem to know much about saad I'll also tell you he's one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Would be a great add for any team. Not a problem getting a 1st for him 4th the TDL next year, or better yet just keep him
Aug. 9, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123
Saad as on pace for 30 goals this year and has already scored twice in the play in series. Know your facts before you say he doesn't score lol. Funny how you try to talk him down though so you can justify getting him for cheap. Since you don't seem to know much about saad I'll also tell you he's one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Would be a great add for any team. Not a problem getting a 1st for him 4th the TDL next year, or better yet just keep him

Believe me I do lol. Buddy I'm a Pittsburgh resident and I follow the Penguins. Folks like me have been paying attention to him for a while. He's got elite hockey IQ and a sneakily good skating stride. He's the perfect compliment to a fellow cerebral player like Sid or Toews or a 3rd line requiring a steady hand and good defensive instincts. But there's a reason he was viewed as one of the second tier of potential trade deadline acquisitions after the likes of Hall, Zucker, Palmieri etc. He's extremely inconsistent in terms of finishing the multitude of chances he generates as a possession monster and as result he doesn't produce to the level of a 6M winger getting good QoT and minutes. And certainly not for long stretches of the season. He's a guy who consistently underperforms his xG. There's a little Jordan Staal in him in that respect. This isn't a huge knock but his reputation is that he's a streaky player making too much money. That's not particularly controversial or damning. Saying that doesn't mean I think he's a bum. Quite the opposite as I am, uhh, trading for him in this hypothetical scenario. CHI can certainly address the goaltending position elsewhere but if they go with MM because he's young but has the pedigree and crunch time experience of their core, this isn't a ridiculous trade in order to facilitate that. Parting with a couple mid range draft picks and a rental to address the goaltending situation for the next 5 years is certainly within the realm of possibility.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Point well taken re: Hornqvist trade. Situation with moving him remains similar however. With a NTC to deal with you likely deal with playoff bubble teams and still aren't getting much back. That's true whether the receiving team wants him to be the spark for a lackluster playoff-bound group or the living embodiment of how to make it in the league for a young building team. He has a lot of value on the ice and even off it but the other factors (contract, age) drive his value down in trades regardless.

And of course BUF doesn't want JJ. No one does. That's why he's a cap dump attached to a good young cost-controlled C and draft pick who are only getting back expiring 3rd pair guys. If that's not enough, sure that can be debated. It essentially hinges on your valuation of Jared McCann. Mine is lower on him than most but I'm definitely in the minority. If BUF thinks they can get a 23 y/o guy to grow into 2C for 3M I think they do it.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.

This is a horrible trade for the Sabres. When you factor in the trade as a whole they are not getting McCann as a cost controlled player at all. They will be getting Jack Johnson at 5 AAV when you factor in the retention on Miller and Johson would be 7th dman at best. On top of that Miller and McCabe would be projected in the Sabres top 4 this year so they would need to find a replacement for McCabe. Finally Sabres aren't looking for someone to grow into 2C role they have that with Cozens. They are looking for a player that is already established as a 2C and then can transition to 3C in 1 - 2 years when Cozens is ready for that role full time. So taking on 8 million in cap for the next 2 seasons, 6 for 3 seasons for a 3C is not a good investment on top of the assets being given up.
Tjm220 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 9:31 p.m.
OTT declines. Not willing to take Hornqvists term.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll