SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Major changes need to be made 1 of the big 4 has to go

Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 9, 2020
Published: Aug. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
40 million for yet another first round exit. 0-3 in winner take all games, getting embarrassed by a team who's best forward couldn't even crack 50 points and getting embarrassed by a .910 goalie. 0 intensity, 0 effort, absolute joke. If Dubas doesn't make a big move it's time to move on from him too
Trades
TOR
ANA
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
One of them for a shutdown RHD. Marner is the better player but Nylander is on a much cheaper deal. Depends on the return really
TOR
ANA
  1. Marincin, Martin
Additional Details:
Banish him to Mars
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$81,500,000$59,181,084$0$0$22,318,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:00 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
I don’t think any of the big 4 are moving. Personally I think it was a mistake to not have Sandin in. Leafs certainly haven’t had much luck with keeping muzzin healthy.

realistically none of them are going anywhere.

edit: muzzin was okay. he just couldn’t come back due to the leagues rules about the bubble, right? he was out of the hospital and doing fine, was he not?
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Kukas2600

edit: muzzin was okay. he just couldn’t come back due to the leagues rules about the bubble, right? he was out of the hospital and doing fine, was he not?

Yup but unable to play, just bad luck. Things are looking up for the leafs defence, loosing Barrie and ceci and replacing them with Sandin liljegren and lehtonen is already an upgrade. Barrie was by far the worst defender the leafs had.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:05 p.m.

It could have been a concussion or his neck/nerve--so you won't know unless they announce it.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
Yup but unable to play, just bad luck. Things are looking up for the leafs defence, loosing Barrie and ceci and replacing them with Sandin liljegren and lehtonen is already an upgrade. Barrie was by far the worst defender the leafs had.
And the Maple Leaf fans scapegoat tradition lives on....

... Jake Gardiner, Dion Phaneuf, Cufo, Larry Murphy,etc.

...congrats on adding yet another name...I was debating whether it would be Barrie or Nylander.
PinkWhitney liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: dca919

...congrats on adding yet another name...I was debating whether it would be Barrie or Nylander.

Barrie was not a good fit all year. He’s not a scape goat for our loss, just looking forward to next year.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:11 p.m.

an argument could be made for ceci lol. young guys just need a chance to play and prove themselves.

Dermott can play right side and he looked pretty solid this series. Liljegren is a RHD he looks promising. Lehtonen we don’t know about yet, but a guy like Demelo could be signed. and dermott can play the left
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
an argument could be made for ceci lol. young guys just need a chance to play and prove themselves.

Dermott can play right side and he looked pretty solid this series. Liljegren is a RHD he looks promising. Lehtonen we don’t know about yet, but a guy like Demelo could be signed. and dermott can play the left

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-liljegren

I would try that next season and see what shakes lose. A lot of teams have players free up a month or two into the season as younger players take their spots.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:39 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: dca919

Kessel? Feel like he was abused way more than the people you named
dca919 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-liljegren

I would try that next season and see what shakes lose. A lot of teams have players free up a month or two into the season as younger players take their spots.

Didn’t you just sign a guy from the Swiss league? Where he at?
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
No, sign Martin to a 1 year, league min deal instead.

Clifford doesn't want to be apart of that dumpster fire
Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-liljegren

I think Leafs fans just need to stay patient with this young team and realize that most of these players have not yet hit their peak years yet. However, I do think there will be some changes coming as team needs to add some size and grit and upgrade the defence and add some quality veteran players to this group.

Would not be surprised to see Nylander involved in a trade to acquire a quality defenceman and rebalance the team's cap space between the forwards and defence. I also think Anderson may have played his last game as a Leaf as his track record of letting in a soft goal in big games does not bode well for him. Would not be surprised to see Kerfoot, Johnsson or even Kapanan involved in a deal and was also disappointed by the play of Mikheyev who was missing in action.

I think you are right about Sandin getting into the Leafs top 6 next year but I feel there is a trade or UFA signing coming to add one more quality defenseman. I guess the other consideration with any trade is the upcoming Seattle expansion draft and affect on protecting key players.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Didn’t you just sign a guy from the Swiss league? Where he at?

Lehtonen, he’s an unknown. If he makes his way in there, all the better.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:46 p.m.
Banned

This is the kind of thinking that leads to loses next year. It's clear there is a defensive problem on the leafs. Simply using the same pieces over and over again is not the answer.
Ceci sucks, he should be gone. Dermott is a 3rd pairing guy at best. Liljegren should stay in the AHL. Hope and prayer on Lehtonen. This team needs 2 real top 4 defense men if it wants to be competitive.

The game winning goal was a fluke off Barrie’s stick. I thought Toronto was much tighter than they were defensively. Shots and scoring chances favoured the leafs heavily. Some great goaltending on the other side and some missed opportunities.

I mean it is what it is.

Are you kidding me. The defense man made no effort to bet between him and the goal. As much as you think he was protecting the center of the ice.....there was no one there. He was all alone down there with the puck and no one stepped up to him. He took the space, took the shot, that was it. You can't leave guys open like that to make those shots, because 1st round draft picks with some offensive skill will make them. If he was some 4th liner, maybe I could see that. But that was poor defense. He needed to slide over, get in the way, take that lane and space from him. He didn't.
Aug. 9, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Next GM is Chiarelli.
He will hire Babcock...
and the beat goes on!
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:05 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: pharrow
This is the kind of thinking that leads to loses next year. It's clear there is a defensive problem on the leafs. Simply using the same pieces over and over again is not the answer.
Ceci sucks, he should be gone. Dermott is a 3rd pairing guy at best. Liljegren should stay in the AHL. Hope and prayer on Lehtonen. This team needs 2 real top 4 defense men if it wants to be competitive.

Are you kidding me. The defense man made no effort to bet between him and the goal. As much as you think he was protecting the center of the ice.....there was no one there. He was all alone down there with the puck and no one stepped up to him. He took the space, took the shot, that was it. You can't leave guys open like that to make those shots, because 1st round draft picks with some offensive skill will make them. If he was some 4th liner, maybe I could see that. But that was poor defense. He needed to slide over, get in the way, take that lane and space from him. He didn't.

? Are you talking about the 2nd goal?
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
Banned
? Are you talking about the 2nd goal?

yes the 2nd goal.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:46 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
yes the 2nd goal.

I was talking about the 1st. The 2nd goal was a bad change. Maybe Andersen should have stopped it behind the net. Marincin was trying to stop him from moving it up high to the two cbj players coming in and left a waster shot down from down low that should have been stopped.

I don’t very much like defending Marincin but that one was not his fault.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:54 a.m.
Banned
I was talking about the 1st. The 2nd goal was a bad change. Maybe Andersen should have stopped it behind the net. Marincin was trying to stop him from moving it up high to the two cbj players coming in and left a waster shot down from down low that should have been stopped.

I don’t very much like defending Marincin but that one was not his fault.

There was no one there to help Foudy. No one. I'm not sure which game you were watching.
He stopped, looked for help, there was none, PLD was coming down the same side of the ice toward the net, But had 2 leafs with him and by the time he got there, Foudy had all ready shot the puck. He should have moved over. Instead he let him walk up and take the shot. Go watch the replay. Even if he moved over, he'd still would have been in position to defend PLD. Who skated right toward him. Instead he was frozen, like a deer caught in the headlights. Did nothing on the play.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:56 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
There was no one there to help Foudy. No one. I'm not sure which game you were watching.
He stopped, looked for help, there was none, PLD was coming down the same side of the ice toward the net, But had 2 leafs with him and by the time he got there, Foudy had all ready shot the puck. He should have moved over. Instead he let him walk up and take the shot. Go watch the replay. Even if he moved over, he'd still would have been in position to defend PLD. Who skated right toward him. Instead he was frozen, like a deer caught in the headlights. Did nothing on the play.

Watch the replay... 2nd angle. 1st angle only shows one player skating in the other player was a Dman that peeled off when foudy shot.

Not sure what game you were watching. But I wouldn’t call that prime scoring area.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:02 a.m.
Banned
Watch the replay... 2nd angle. 1st angle only shows one player skating in the other player was a Dman that peeled off when foudy shot.

Not sure what game you were watching. But I wouldn’t call that prime scoring area.

other angle. you can see the whole TOR side of the ice from the 1st angle.
The 2nd defense many you are referring to is like 10 feet behind PLD. Who was so far out of the play when Foudy chose to shoot he wasn't even at the circles.

Foudy choose that shot well before any help was there, and he chose it because the defense did nothing but watch.
Believe me, if Foudy wanted to pass the puck to PLD or that defense man, the TOR defender was not in the lane of that pass, at all.
He wasn't blocking anything. And he had all kinds of defensive help.

You can keep defending it, it was poor play. He needed to move over and help take away that shot lane. He should have forced Foudy to either shoot though him, or pass it. Not allow him to skate up and shoot it.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:06 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
other angle. you can see the whole TOR side of the ice from the 1st angle.
The 2nd defense many you are referring to is like 10 feet behind PLD. Who was so far out of the play when Foudy chose to shoot he wasn't even at the circles.

Foudy choose that shot well before any help was there, and he chose it because the defense did nothing but watch.
Believe me, if Foudy wanted to pass the puck to PLD or that defense man, the TOR defender was not in the lane of that pass, at all.
He wasn't blocking anything. And he had all kinds of defensive help.

You can keep defending it, it was poor play. He needed to move over and help take away that shot lane. He should have forced Foudy to either shoot though him, or pass it. Not allow him to skate up and shoot it.

Only because you are too lazy

E4-A0-E2-F4-A5-D7-4-B18-A42-B-BFD18009432-B.png
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:10 a.m.
Banned
Only because you are too lazy

E4-A0-E2-F4-A5-D7-4-B18-A42-B-BFD18009432-B.png

Like I said, he isn't in a position to stop that pass.
That angle also cuts out the other 2 TOR defenders who are right next to him and PLD.Notice again he's not at the top of the circle yet.
It makes no difference his defense on PLD if he stays there or moves down and takes away the shooting lane.
The only thing you did was prove me right... FFS that "defense man" is pretty much at the blue line. He's not a threat.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:15 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Like I said, he isn't in a position to stop that pass.
That angle also cuts out the other 2 TOR defenders who are right next to him and PLD.Notice again he's not at the top of the circle yet.
It makes no difference his defense on PLD if he stays there or moves down and takes away the shooting lane.
The only thing you did was prove me right... FFS that "defense man" is pretty much at the blue line. He's not a threat.

What shooting lane? He was between the icing line and the circle? He didn’t make the pass because believe it or not that is a picture and the players were actually in motion. He took the pass away and left Andersen an easy shot.

Like I have said here dozens of times I don’t think Marincin is very good, would love to use him as a scape goat here but he played it correctly. Leafs changed 4 players and left him alone.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:27 a.m.
Banned
What shooting lane? He was between the icing line and the circle? He didn’t make the pass because believe it or not that is a picture and the players were actually in motion. He took the pass away and left Andersen an easy shot.

Like I have said here dozens of times I don’t think Marincin is very good, would love to use him as a scape goat here but he played it correctly. Leafs changed 4 players and left him alone.

I call bs.

Look at time frame 3:17 on the NHL site.

There are 2 TOR players within feet of PLD right next to him.
Foudy skated right toward the TOR defense man, who did nothing. Even the announcer says it. "He just stops" Instead of taking out the guy crashing toward the net and shooting.
He choose to defend the wrong guy. A guy he didn't need to worry about because A. he was out the play until after Foudy charged the net, B. he wasn't actually in his passing lane anyway until after Foudy put him in the way by charging forward.

He did not clean Foudy up. take way his space, prevent him from crashing the net, and shooting.

That's his job. His jobis the closest guy to the net. It's not the at the top of the circle with two other TOR players right next to him.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:37 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I call bs.

Look at time frame 3:17 on the NHL site.

There are 2 TOR players within feet of PLD right next to him.
Foudy skated right toward the TOR defense man, who did nothing. Even the announcer says it. "He just stops" Instead of taking out the guy crashing toward the net and shooting.
He choose to defend the wrong guy. A guy he didn't need to worry about because A. he was out the play until after Foudy charged the net, B. he wasn't actually in his passing lane anyway until after Foudy put him in the way by charging forward.

He did not clean Foudy up. take way his space, prevent him from crashing the net, and shooting.

That's his job. His jobis the closest guy to the net. It's not the at the top of the circle with two other TOR players right next to him.

Crashing the net? He shot from 10-12 feet away and then Marincin hit him before he could get to the net. Probably assuming there might be a rebound.

A defenders job is to take away the pass, especially when the shot is from that horrible of a spot. He did that and prevented foudy from getting to the net. Unfortunately Andersen let in a soft goal, not that it mattered because the winning goal was scored in the first.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll