Forums/Armchair-GM

This Should be the Target

Created by: Terry_AkiSauce
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 11, 2020
Published: Aug. 11, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Myers is a great guy that doesn't have heaps of value at the moment but will likely progress into a really good defenseman. Leafs need to take more risks on players like this where the value is good now but it may look like a steal in a few years.

Philly fans - whats the trade look like with Myers and Kap being the main pieces. If you dont think its there and Nylander is the main piece, who else are you going to add?
Trades
TOR
  1. Myers, Philippe [RFA Rights]
PHI
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
Additional Details:
What else are the Leafs adding?
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$81,500,000$73,724,783$0$0$7,775,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 11, 2020 at 2:03 a.m.
What in tarnation
Replacement D like Dermott and maybe a pick.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 2:13 a.m.
Not sure I agree Myers is the target.

I love the potential, don't get me wrong, but this is still going to be a young Leafs blueline. Muzzin is the only true vet in the group. We can argue if you want to include Reilly.

Point is, as much as Myers could make sense long term, the Leafs window is now - and that means dealing for someone with way more experience.

Now who that maybe, and if there is a fit is another question..... but suddenly moving AJ to move room for maybe a Tanev starts to make sense. Or Gudas. Or Hamonic.

But in a deal? I 100% would be calling Bowman about Murphy. Maybe a new GM in Florida can be fleeced for Weeger. Maybe Hjarmalsson or Demers can be a one year stop gap.

Myers isn't the option imo. Just too young for this group.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 2:17 a.m.
2018 Canucks
RHD David Savard would be a good fit imo.

The cost or if CBJ entertains a trade idk but kick tires.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 2:18 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: swinny
Not sure I agree Myers is the target.

I love the potential, don't get me wrong, but this is still going to be a young Leafs blueline. Muzzin is the only true vet in the group. We can argue if you want to include Reilly.

Point is, as much as Myers could make sense long term, the Leafs window is now - and that means dealing for someone with way more experience.

Now who that maybe, and if there is a fit is another question..... but suddenly moving AJ to move room for maybe a Tanev starts to make sense. Or Gudas. Or Hamonic.

But in a deal? I 100% would be calling Bowman about Murphy. Maybe a new GM in Florida can be fleeced for Weeger. Maybe Hjarmalsson or Demers can be a one year stop gap.

Myers isn't the option imo. Just too young for this group.

Disagree completely, last I checked our core 3 players have only been in the league for 4 years. Leafs are a young team and should stay young. I wouldn't hate seeing both Johnsson and Kap gone if that means we could get a guy like Demelo in FA and allow Myers to play with Muzzin (which in my mind would be an ideal pairing)
Aug. 11, 2020 at 2:18 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: Nighthawk
RHD David Savard would be a good fit imo.

The cost or if CBJ entertains a trade idk but kick tires.

think thatd be a tdl deal if anything
Aug. 11, 2020 at 3:41 a.m.
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
Disagree completely, last I checked our core 3 players have only been in the league for 4 years. Leafs are a young team and should stay young. I wouldn't hate seeing both Johnsson and Kap gone if that means we could get a guy like Demelo in FA and allow Myers to play with Muzzin (which in my mind would be an ideal pairing)

Now if an additional aquisition was made, Myers makes sense. However, your post left me with the impression he was "the answer".

For the record, I believe only one of AJ or Kappy needs to he moved, but that is a moot point.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 6:54 a.m.
A 2nd pairing RHD who has size, puck skills, and great skating ability doesn’t have value? That’s just bad scouting. I know he was undrafted, but Myers is all but untouchable given his ability and organizational depth.

PS we have no need for another winger.
flyersarephilly liked this.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 7:27 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: ALitteral
A 2nd pairing RHD who has size, puck skills, and great skating ability doesn’t have value? That’s just bad scouting. I know he was undrafted, but Myers is all but untouchable given his ability and organizational depth.

Where did I say he has no value and according to other Flyers fans you lack depth at RW and the Leafs are probably the deepest team in the NHL at RW so there's probably a deal to be made
Aug. 11, 2020 at 7:56 a.m.
Where did I say he has no value and according to other Flyers fans you lack depth at RW and the Leafs are probably the deepest team in the NHL at RW so there's probably a deal to be made

From the team explanation "I think Myers is a great guy that doesn't have heaps of value at the moment " and I disagree with that.

Further, we could possibly use an inexpensive 3RW - IF the Flyers ship out another winger. Right now our top 9 wingers are G, Lindblom, JVR, Voracek, Konecny, and Farabee. That doesn't include Laughton, who has been very effective on the second line recently. So yeah, you may be deep at RW, but we aren't really hurting either. We need a RHD, a backup goalie and a 3C if Laughton stays on the wing. None of those holes will be filled by getting rid of Myers.
owentippett liked this.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:05 a.m.

Konecny and Voracek are good line 1 and 2 right wingers. I wouldn't give up our only young right handed defenseman for Kapanen to go on our third line. NAK and Pitlick already work well a line 3 and 4 right wingers. Myers is just not for sale anyways. Flyers plan to keep him long term, as he seems to be an established top-4 defenseman that can be a good fit for the team.
owentippett liked this.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:19 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: Couturier
Konecny and Voracek are good line 1 and 2 right wingers. I wouldn't give up our only young right handed defenseman for Kapanen to go on our third line. NAK and Pitlick already work well a line 3 and 4 right wingers. Myers is just not for sale anyways. Flyers plan to keep him long term, as he seems to be an established top-4 defenseman that can be a good fit for the team.

Was just speaking on what I've seen other Flyers fans say on this site
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
From the team explanation "I think Myers is a great guy that doesn't have heaps of value at the moment " and I disagree with that.

Further, we could possibly use an inexpensive 3RW - IF the Flyers ship out another winger. Right now our top 9 wingers are G, Lindblom, JVR, Voracek, Konecny, and Farabee. That doesn't include Laughton, who has been very effective on the second line recently. So yeah, you may be deep at RW, but we aren't really hurting either. We need a RHD, a backup goalie and a 3C if Laughton stays on the wing. None of those holes will be filled by getting rid of Myers.

Do you know what the word heaps means? Its means a lot in case you dont, players like Coots, Provorov, Giroux on the Flyers for example.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:36 a.m.
Do you know what the word heaps means? Its means a lot in case you dont, players like Coots, Provorov, Giroux on the Flyers for example.

If we are arguing semantics, that is fine. I will concede and modify my first claim.
UPDATED:
A 2nd pairing RHD who has size, puck skills, and great skating ability doesn’t have heaps of value? That’s just bad scouting. I know he was undrafted, but Myers is all but untouchable given his ability and organizational depth.

I think we both understand that the point of my objection is that the trade doesn't work for the Flyers. We value Myers significantly. If Coots, Provorov, Giroux, and Hart are the untouchables, then Sanheim and Myers are in the next tier - you can have them, but your fan-base is going to rebel at the cost.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:37 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
If we are arguing semantics, that is fine. I will concede and modify my first claim.
UPDATED:

I think we both understand that the point of my objection is that the trade doesn't work for the Flyers. We value Myers significantly. If Coots, Provorov, Giroux, and Hart are the untouchables, then Sanheim and Myers are in the next tier - you can have them, but your fan-base is going to rebel at the cost.

Which is why I literally included in the description that Nylander could also be moved for Myers but Flyers would have to add something and asked who or what that would be
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
Which is why I literally included in the description that Nylander could also be moved for Myers but Flyers would have to add something and asked who or what that would be

To my point, Myers for Nylander... I'd add a B-prospect (akin to Rubstov or Ratcliffe) or a pick (2nd round maybe). And both Leafs fans and Flyers fans would hate that trade. It is just not a fit. We have one (1) RHD under team control after next season. His name is Phil Myers. We aren't interested in moving him.

It is comparable to you trading Reilly to us for one of our wingers. It makes no sense because you need that player at that position (losing him leaves a huge hole to fill in the lineup) and your organization is top heavy at forward.
Aug. 11, 2020 at 8:55 a.m.

I also want to take a moment to appreciate your username. I appreciate a good chuckle in the mornings.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll