SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs 2020 Offseason Trading Preferences

Aug. 12, 2020 at 8:56 p.m.
torontos finest
yo,

So great season overall, only a couple of major humiliations. Now it's time to give our humble and well-researched opinions on what we believe should happen in the offseason. Particularly, with who we believe should/shouldn't be traded.

It's well written what Toronto should be looking for, but I'd like to see how you guys break down who you wouldn't mind parting with, and for what.

You can tier them as such:

Untouchable: Players under no circumstances should be traded.
Tradable for Defense: Players who you don't mind parting with, as long as their return is a defenseman of either equal or greater caliber
Tradable for Offense: Same as above, but for even more forwards
Tradeable for Cap Space/Futures: Players who you think should be traded only to garner picks or prospects.
Tradable for Any Reason: Pretty much everyone else. Don't need to list everyone, maybe just the guys you're really mad at.

Remember that Ceci and Barrie are probably not getting re-signed and are UFAs, so you can't trade them at this point.
tomato43, oneX and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 8:57 p.m.
torontos finest
tomato43 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 9:08 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: mondo
yo,

So great season overall, only a couple of major humiliations. Now it's time to give our humble and well-researched opinions on what we believe should happen in the offseason. Particularly, with who we believe should/shouldn't be traded.

It's well written what Toronto should be looking for, but I'd like to see how you guys break down who you wouldn't mind parting with, and for what.

You can tier them as such:

Untouchable: Players under no circumstances should be traded.
Tradable for Defense: Players who you don't mind parting with, as long as their return is a defenseman of either equal or greater caliber
Tradable for Offense: Same as above, but for even more forwards
Tradeable for Cap Space/Futures: Players who you think should be traded only to garner picks or prospects.
Tradable for Any Reason: Pretty much everyone else. Don't need to list everyone, maybe just the guys you're really mad at.

Remember that Ceci and Barrie are probably not getting re-signed and are UFAs, so you can't trade them at this point.

The only sure tradable I see is Johnsson. As much as I love the way he plays I get the feeling he was rushed back into the line up to prove he was healthy and still quick and agile.
tomato43 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.
tomato
Untouchables: Matthews, Marner, Nylander
Trade-able for Defense: Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Hyman

Everyone else wouldn't bring back anything substantial enough to make the trade necessary.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Robertson for a similar aged similar potential RHD.
Tavares has a NMC so no point in listing him at all.

I like how to team is built. The core is still very young. There is no reason to make any drastic changes.
GenXHockey, oneX and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 10:54 p.m.
Matthews is a no-brainer for the untouchables list but after that in my mind it might be interesting as to who else goes on it.
I'd put one of Marner or Nylander on that untouchables list but not both because as much as I may want to keep them both, I'm okay with sacrificing a little offense for a little more defense/physical play.

The rest of the forward group can be traded to upgrade weaknesses and/or for cap space reasons.

On to the goaltending: I know some (alot of you?) are okay with Andersen being the goalie next season and I'm not against that but I also have come to the conclusion that he is not that big game, save the D's bacon type of goalie aka Grant Furhr. If it's possible to move him and land a younger goalie (Georgiev?) I'm all for that.

The defense is the toughest and messiest to address because between some of us, we disagree on the play of Rielly and Holl.

I think @Trickster brought up a good point about Rielly in particular in that either he needs a very particular D partner or he just isn't as good as some of us think he is. It's a difficult question and I'm kind of pondering the answer ever since it was brought up.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Edited Aug. 13, 2020 at 7:15 a.m.
Untouchables =
Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Sandin, and Liljergen.

While not untouchable, I'm not interested in moving the following =
Dermott, Holl, Robertson, Engvall, and Campbell.

Likely candidates to be moved =
Johnsson, Kerfoot, and Kapanen.
I'd prefer to keep Johnsson over the other 2.

Out of the box move =
Trade Andersen and get a new goalie and does not have to happen in the same trade.

Trade Rielly for more defensive minded D.

I know a used a slightly different format hopefully I expressed what I want to do.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:20 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Matthews and Tavares are clearly untouchables for obvious reasons, and I highly doubt Dubas trades either one of Marner or Nylander. I do think two of Kapanen/Johnsson/Mikheyev will be moved for defensive help along with picks/prospects (maybe Liljegren?). Additionally, I would not be surprised if Rielly gets moved for an RHD with more defensive aspects to his game, or for a legit 2C so we can roll out the Matthews-Tavares-Marner line all next season. Lastly, I think its sort of a 50/50 chance Andersen gets moved, I really think the defense needs to be the priority but if the right offer comes we should trade Andersen to get a more reliable goalie.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
Selling high on Zach Hyman might be a prudent option.
Jack_, Trickster, tomato43 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 1:50 a.m.
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister

Yep. Also, time to start looking at young players to draft with a similar skills set to Hyman. This team badly needs a nasty edge to it's game.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister

Hyman is a fantastic utility guy for Toronto so they'd need to replace him.

NTC + many comparables might make him difficult to get a worthwhile trade.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Hyman is a fantastic utility guy for Toronto so they'd need to replace him.

NTC + many comparables might make him difficult to get a worthwhile trade.

how did he get a NTC with his track history?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll