Forums/Armchair-GM

Fair Discuss

Created by: colazerrr
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 13, 2020
Published: Aug. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Cozens does 1 more year in minors (due to age restrictions)
Sabres stuck in win-now phase, trade #8 overall to TB for Cirelli (TB in cap problem)
Murray/Ruotsalainen make opening night roster
Flexible cap space for potential targets at 20/21 trade deadline
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
4$4,000,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
4$4,500,000
2$800,000
2$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
2$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Virtanen, Jake
4$3,250,000
Cirelli, Anthony
5$6,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Cirelli, Anthony [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. 2020 1st round pick (BUF)
  2. 2021 6th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Virtanen, Jake [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 7th round pick (DAL)
  3. 2021 4th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. 2021 6th round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$74,932,500$1,487,500$3,620,000$6,567,500

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Cirelli, Anthony
$6,000,000$6,000,000
Virtanen, Jake
$3,250,000$3,250,000
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
RW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 13, 2020 at 1:55 a.m.
A kinda unnecessary trade for Vancouver
Nighthawk and remowilliams liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 1:55 a.m.
Canucks would have to find a way to make that work cap wise cause thats a steal.
Nighthawk and remowilliams liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 1:56 a.m.
The top 6 looks good, but Johansson shouldn’t play center again. And Brett Murray kinda struggled in the AHL, so I think we need a 4th line LW and maybe put Lazar in for Mittlestadt, I don’t think he would succeed in this role. Dylan Cozens can definitely Play in the NHL this year, another year of dominating the WHL probably wouldn’t be good for his development.
colazerrr liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 1:57 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: Canucks33
Canucks would have to find a way to make that work cap wise cause thats a steal.

Yeah this was where I wasn't sure. He wants big $$$, Sabres could do it but i see them moving on. Seemed like a better deal for VAN but I could see it happening
Aug. 13, 2020 at 2:01 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: Sabres923
The top 6 looks good, but Johansson shouldn’t play center again. And Brett Murray kinda struggled in the AHL, so I think we need a 4th line LW and maybe put Lazar in for Mittlestadt, I don’t think he would succeed in this role. Dylan Cozens can definitely Play in the NHL this year, another year of dominating the WHL probably wouldn’t be good for his development.

I don't want him at C either, but I feel like this is where the org wants him. Murray did struggle a bit, but he's a big boy that plays a big boy game, something the Sabres need. I see them giving him a shot, maybe 25 games and re-asses. I also see Lazer/Mitts/Murray all kinda alternating as scratch, but moreso Lazar as you need to get the others games to really see how they developed. And Cozens can absolutely be NHL ready, but they have rushed so many players in the past with development. I'd rather see him minors for one more year, then AHL next year when he's of age and bring him in the lineup when injuries are bound to happen. No need to rush him.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 2:02 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: TheAlien
A kinda unnecessary trade for Vancouver

How so? VAN has basically moved on from Virtanen, and Reinhart is an all around C/W they are in need for.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 2:38 a.m.
Sabres fan
That Vancouver deal is awful for Buffalo. They aren’t even dressing Virtanen right now. I think you could get him for a second round pick alone. There is absolutely no need to give them a first line 60 to 70 point player in exchange for a guy who’s the same age and never scored 20 goals in a season in his career. Yikes.
RoyalBlueSabres liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 2:45 a.m.
Vancouver takes that and runs. TBL says no, they get more compensation if you offer sheet him for that much. Lotta new young guys there, we'll have to see how that goes. How do you figure a team that couldn't make the 24 team play in, and is breaking in several rookies, and with maybe 4 above average players if Skinner plays well, is in win-now mode?? Their future is Eichel+Cozens+Olofsson+Dahlin+Luukkonen, and UPL hasn't even played in the NHL yet. Their window is in a few years, none of those guys is over 25.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 2:46 a.m.
Quoting: colazerrr
How so? VAN has basically moved on from Virtanen, and Reinhart is an all around C/W they are in need for.

The Canucks top 6 is already pretty good with Miller, Boeser, Petey, Pearson, Horvat, and Toffoli. They don't really have a need for another forward they're better off trading for a RD.
remowilliams liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 8:14 a.m.
Please give me Cirelli
colazerrr liked this.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 8:42 a.m.
The Canucks top 6 is already pretty good with Miller, Boeser, Petey, Pearson, Horvat, and Toffoli. They don't really have a need for another forward they're better off trading for a RD.

I believe Toffoli is a UFA after this season, unless there is good reason to believe he will re-sign, this would be a good trade for Vancouver to round out their top 6. That being said, it is TERRIBLE for Buffalo. The AGM states money as the reason for him being traded (which I don't get where this idea of Sam wanting big dollars, more than he is worth), but still has enough cap space to pay him after the roster is completed. I like the Cirelli trade... And that's about it.

UPL is not ready for the NHL. He struggled in his few games in the AHL. I like the confidence in the kids, though having Mitts centering a 4th line is pretty laughable, that is not where his game would translate, especially with those players, it's just not a fit. Keep Reinhart, trade a 2nd for Virtanen, sign a cheap UFA goalie (or just keep Hutton), and

I believe Toffoli is a UFA after this season, unless there is good reason to believe he will re-sign, this would be a good trade for Vancouver to round out their top 6. That being said, it is TERRIBLE for Buffalo. The AGM states money as the reason for him being traded (which I don't get where this idea of Sam wanting big dollars, more than he is worth), but still has enough cap space to pay him after the roster is completed. I like the Cirelli trade... And that's about it.

UPL is not ready for the NHL. He struggled in his few games in the AHL. I like the confidence in the kids, though having Mitts centering a 4th line is pretty laughable, that is not where his game would translate, especially with those players, it's just not a fit. Keep Reinhart, trade a 2nd for Virtanen, sign a cheap UFA goalie (or just keep Hutton), and put Cozens on the roster.

UPL is not ready for the NHL. He struggled in his few games in the AHL. I like the confidence in the kids, though having Mitts centering a 4th line is pretty laughable, that is not where his game would translate, especially with those players, it's just not a fit. Keep Reinhart, trade a 2nd for Virtanen, sign a cheap UFA goalie (or just keep Hutton), and put Cozens on the roster.

Aug. 13, 2020 at 8:46 a.m.
Murrray needs more time in Rochester
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: Tjm220
That Vancouver deal is awful for Buffalo. They aren’t even dressing Virtanen right now. I think you could get him for a second round pick alone. There is absolutely no need to give them a first line 60 to 70 point player in exchange for a guy who’s the same age and never scored 20 goals in a season in his career. Yikes.

The most Sam has put up is 25 in a season. Jake had 18 before the season ended, who knows what he could have ended with. Sam is obviously the better player, so maybe you take out the 4th I've offered. But my point is, I see them making a play for Cirelli. and when you do that, he becomes 2C. I think they save the money you would have given to Sam (6.5+ at least), and give it to Cirelli, and then get Virtanen in the hopes that he is a line 2 winger. Many poeple may not like this idea, but I thought on it for some time and wouldn't hate it.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:06 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: Alfie11
Vancouver takes that and runs. TBL says no, they get more compensation if you offer sheet him for that much. Lotta new young guys there, we'll have to see how that goes. How do you figure a team that couldn't make the 24 team play in, and is breaking in several rookies, and with maybe 4 above average players if Skinner plays well, is in win-now mode?? Their future is Eichel+Cozens+Olofsson+Dahlin+Luukkonen, and UPL hasn't even played in the NHL yet. Their window is in a few years, none of those guys is over 25.

As much as you're right about TB getting more for the offer sheet, you just dont see teams do it much anymore. I think they like Cirelli a lot, but I think the #8 overall is too tough for them to say no to. And after thinking about it, I think you take back the 4th I've offered in the Sam deal, and its a little less yucky. And i would like to see them in a "rebuild" mode, but do it right this time, but it wont happen. They have to be in win now. If there are no playoffs within the next 2 years, Eichel demands out and I wouldn't blame him. As much as all of the guys you stated show for a bright future, it doesn't look good without Eichel, and he won't want to stay on a losing team for what would be his first 7 years in the league. They have no choice but to win now, and im not thrilled about it since they didnt rebuild properly.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:08 a.m.
TTV colazerrr

Toffoli being a UFA adds uncertainty. Sam will fetch them the same money, get rid of Jake who they are clearly wanting to move on from, and gives them a player that can play C or W, where as Toffoli is just W. Seems like a smart move for them.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: sabresparaavida

UPL is not ready for the NHL. He struggled in his few games in the AHL. I like the confidence in the kids, though having Mitts centering a 4th line is pretty laughable, that is not where his game would translate, especially with those players, it's just not a fit. Keep Reinhart, trade a 2nd for Virtanen, sign a cheap UFA goalie (or just keep Hutton), and

It's not the prettiest for BUF, but again, take away the 4th I offered and I see them doing it. Cirelli being your certified 2C makes Sam a perfect trade target, and I think VAN hops on it. Sam will get around 6.875 per, and I see them signing Cirelli for about 6.0 per, and praying that Virtanen can be a 2nd line winger.

UPL is ready for the big stage, just on a limited role, so you introduce him now. Dish off Hutton, and you have Ullmark and UPL do a 70/30 split. I think it does wonders for the kid to get him NHL time. Im not thrilled about Mitts on L4 either, but it's where I had him fit with Murray/Ruotsalainen making opening night. Things with that could change. If Murray doesn't make it, you have MoJo play LW L3 and move Mitts up to 3C and then have Lazar be L4 center. they have options, but I really feel like they have Murray play up. They need size.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: kclar
Murrray needs more time in Rochester

I definitely do not disagree with you, but I think he has a chance at making opening night. They desperately need bigger bodies in the lineup, and I think his style of play can translate at the NHL level quicker than others. He isn't gonna turn any heads I think, but he is a body they want on the roster.
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:26 a.m.
I definitely do not disagree with you, but I think he has a chance at making opening night. They desperately need bigger bodies in the lineup, and I think his style of play can translate at the NHL level quicker than others. He isn't gonna turn any heads I think, but he is a body they want on the roster.

Fair enough, I hope he can develop into an effective 4th liner but I saw him being a year or two away when watching this year.

Also, what did you do with Montour? Did I miss something?
Aug. 13, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.
It's not the prettiest for BUF, but again, take away the 4th I offered and I see them doing it. Cirelli being your certified 2C makes Sam a perfect trade target, and I think VAN hops on it. Sam will get around 6.875 per, and I see them signing Cirelli for about 6.0 per, and praying that Virtanen can be a 2nd line winger.

UPL is ready for the big stage, just on a limited role, so you introduce him now. Dish off Hutton, and you have Ullmark and UPL do a 70/30 split. I think it does wonders for the kid to get him NHL time. Im not thrilled about Mitts on L4 either, but it's where I had him fit with Murray/Ruotsalainen making opening night. Things with that could change. If Murray doesn't make it, you have MoJo play LW L3 and move Mitts up to 3C and then have Lazar be L4 center. they have options, but I really feel like they have Murray play up. They need size.

The way I see the team, the Sabres have 3 Weaknesses: C, RW, and G. You definitely improved the weakness at C by adding Cirelli. You then justify making RW significantly weaker by getting rid of our only top 6 RW. (Kahun may become one, but we can't say that he is one yet). That is not a "perfect trade target". You grabbed Virtanen "praying" that he'll be a 2nd line winger. We tried the same thing with players like Sheary and Vesey- you don't trade your only top 6 RW for an established player you are praying will become one. In this scenario you would also be praying Kahun could become a 1RW, not a great idea.

UPL is NOT ready for NHL action. He spent most of the year in Cincinnati, and when he did come to Rochester, he had an abysmal .874 save percentage-terrible for Rochester. What can possibly make you say he's ready for NHL action?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll