Forums/Armchair-GM

Two Way Forward Corps and better defense

Created by: Hammerwise
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 14, 2020
Published: Aug. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Better two way and physical forwards in Laughton, Domi and Kassian. Juulsen or Liljegren fight it out for RD, and Gudas, strong/physical stay at home veteran and PKer to pair with Sandin. More balance and cap space
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,600,000
3$900,000
3$975,000
2$1,750,000
5$6,150,000
3$1,550,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
4$3,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2020 6th round pick (STL)
TOR
  1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
  2. Juulsen, Noah [RFA Rights]
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (STL)
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
  5. 2020 3rd round pick (WSH)
  6. 2020 4th round pick (WPG)
EDM
  1. Malgin, Denis
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (STL)
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (WSH)
  4. 2020 4th round pick (WPG)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,943,450$0$0$1,556,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,150,000$6,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,550,000$1,550,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:05 a.m.
MTL accept
clapperzzz11 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:11 a.m.
I hope the Leafs trade Marner, but not to Montreal
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:18 a.m.
Mtl would take this at least add Armia to it or another d forward
Hammerwise liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:21 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
That Marner trade is awful good to know a 94 point player is worth nothing on this site
Hammerwise liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:30 a.m.
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
That Marner trade is awful good to know a 94 point player is worth nothing on this site

I chose MTL, because Domi (while a 30;pt a year drop) brings a type of game TOR needs IMO, added nice young RD, (albeit injured this year), cleared 4mil in cap, and got back 2 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th, but Armia in the deal is a nice shout. Trading a 10mil player is never going to be equal value, but I was looking to address what I see as TOR weaknesses by dealing from depth.

You're never going to trade a 90pt player for a 90 pt player, but getting a 50-60pt player, a solid RD, cap space and 4 nice picks is probably closer to realistic.

In simple terms of the lineup above with that trade: Marner = Domi, Juulsen, 4 good picks and Gudas

I think TOR lacks two way play, forechecking/backchecking and physicality.
clapperzzz11 and GMs liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:44 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hammerwise
I chose MTL, because Domi (while a 30;pt a year drop) brings a type of game TOR needs IMO, added nice young RD, (albeit injured this year), cleared 4mil in cap, and got back 2 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th, but Armia in the deal is a nice shout. Trading a 10mil player is never going to be equal value, but I was looking to address what I see as TOR weaknesses by dealing from depth.

You're never going to trade a 90pt player for a 90 pt player, but getting a 50-60pt player, a solid RD, cap space and 4 nice picks is probably closer to realistic.

In simple terms of the lineup above with that trade: Marner = Domi, Juulsen, 4 good picks and Gudas

I get a real kick how people on this site think a 90+ point player is worth a 50 point winger a nothing prospect and some middling picks because he makes 10 million. He makes 10 million because he can score 90 points. There are about 30 players in the entire league that can do that. It's extremely rare, hence why he makes money.
Hammerwise liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:54 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I get a real kick how people on this site think a 90+ point player is worth a 50 point winger a nothing prospect and some middling picks because he makes 10 million. He makes 10 million because he can score 90 points. There are about 30 players in the entire league that can do that. It's extremely rare, hence why he makes money.

If you look at it just from point production, then few deals will ever be equal. Toronto in their current non-playoff qualifying form will not improve by moving middling contracts and being so top heavy in my opinion.

And Im not anti-Marner, I'm just looking at contract, return and real team needs or weaknesses. And theres probably a slightly better return somewhere else for a great player like Marner, but in my opinion you're not going to improve the team, by moving the middling dermotts or johnssons, and you're never going to trade a 90 pt player for a 90 pt player.

In the above, looking outside out of points alone you are getting Marner = Domi, Juulsen, 4 good picks and 3-4mil in cap space for a solid RD veteran, and to me I think that's not equal value but it makes the team better.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 6:59 a.m.
Banned
If you look at it just from point production, then few deals will ever be equal. Toronto in their current non-playoff qualifying form will not improve by moving middling contracts and being so top heavy in my opinion.

And Im not anti-Marner, I'm just looking at contract, return and real team needs or weaknesses. And theres probably a slightly better return somewhere else for a great player like Marner, but in my opinion you're not going to improve the team, by moving the middling dermotts or johnssons, and you're never going to trade a 90 pt player for a 90 pt player.

In the above, looking outside out of points alone you are getting Marner = Domi, Juulsen, 4 good picks and 3-4mil in cap space for a solid RD veteran, and to me I think that's not equal value but it makes the team better.

Opinions are useless. This is a crap proposal and makes TO worse. People on here have the opinion that paying depth guys more money and stars less money is smart, it isn't. Kapanen proves this. He gets 3.4 million and was handily outplayed by the Leafs 4th line. The big 4 did everything they could to win and the rest of the team did nothing. So break up the core and add more average players to do nothing is the answer. Defence!!!! Is what idiots will shout but the Leafs defence was not at all the problem in that series it was Korpisalo being a difference. Look at how he's played against Tampa? Columbus has won 3 games so far they had no business winning because he stood on his head.
Terry_AkiSauce and Hammerwise liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:06 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce

Cause Domi is such a physical player and forechecks? This deal is pretty much Domi and two 2nds for Marner who is more impactful at all ends of the ice than Domi. Maybe if this was Domi and Suzuki + the Leafs consider it but Marners overpayment of 1-1.5M doesn't make him worth a fringe top 6 guy and some picks
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:14 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Opinions are useless. This is a crap proposal and makes TO worse. People on here have the opinion that paying depth guys more money and stars less money is smart, it isn't. Kapanen proves this. He gets 3.4 million and was handily outplayed by the Leafs 4th line. The big 4 did everything they could to win and the rest of the team did nothing. So break up the core and add more average players to do nothing is the answer. Defence!!!! Is what idiots will shout but the Leafs defence was not at all the problem in that series it was Korpisalo being a difference. Look at how he's played against Tampa? Columbus has won 3 games so far they had no business winning because he stood on his head.

I don't think I'm saying that. Toronto got beat in qualifying by CBS forecheck and their goalie, but to look at the entire season: the firewagon offense and pretty average defense made a qualifying round failure pretty obvious.

I'm not saying lesser players are better, I'm saying a solid and well balanced team is better. You're never going to replace a Marner, but in the above, you've replaced marner and kapanen with laughton, gudas, domi, and kassian and brought in more youth in the system (while not getting dramatically older) and in my opinion that's a better team.

I don't think band aid solutions make the team better and my opinion might be useless to you, but you are countering with your opinion. How would you make the team better without moving one of the big 4 (and I think Tavares and Matthews are undertouchable) so the big 2?
SammyPollock liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:22 a.m.
Cause Domi is such a physical player and forechecks? This deal is pretty much Domi and two 2nds for Marner who is more impactful at all ends of the ice than Domi. Maybe if this was Domi and Suzuki + the Leafs consider it but Marners overpayment of 1-1.5M doesn't make him worth a fringe top 6 guy and some picks

Hey I agree its light, and maybe its a 1st, a 2nd or a solid Armia and a 1st (Suzuki is a nice shout, but MTL doesn't come close to that). And Juulsen is a solid RD who had a very good 1st year, so hes definitely not a throw away.

As Ive said, Marner is by the far the best piece, but the idea is to get the best return to address team weaknesses. Its just about approx. return to address multiple positions/weaknesses on the team, because you're not going to get a one for one return, and maybe MTL isn't the destination. But standing pat with the top 4 I don't think helps the team next year
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:32 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Hey I agree its light, and maybe its a 1st, a 2nd or a solid Armia and a 1st (Suzuki is a nice shout, but MTL doesn't come close to that). And Juulsen is a solid RD who had a very good 1st year, so hes definitely not a throw away.

As Ive said, Marner is by the far the best piece, but the idea is to get the best return to address team weaknesses. Its just about approx. return to address multiple positions/weaknesses on the team, because you're not going to get a one for one return, and maybe MTL isn't the destination. But standing pat with the top 4 I don't think helps the team next year

They can add Gudas without trading Marner fairly easily and Juulsen isnt a top 4 dman. Hes 23 now with only 44 NHL games under his belt. Dermott and Holl (who people are saying are the problem) are probably twice as good. Not to mention the return that the Leafs could actually get if they decide to move Marner would be much better than this so why is it even being discussed?
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:35 a.m.
Banned
I don't think I'm saying that. Toronto got beat in qualifying by CBS forecheck and their goalie, but to look at the entire season: the firewagon offense and pretty average defense made a qualifying round failure pretty obvious.

I'm not saying lesser players are better, I'm saying a solid and well balanced team is better. You're never going to replace a Marner, but in the above, you've replaced marner and kapanen with laughton, gudas, domi, and kassian and brought in more youth in the system (while not getting dramatically older) and in my opinion that's a better team.

I don't think band aid solutions make the team better and my opinion might be useless to you, but you are countering with your opinion. How would you make the team better without moving one of the big 4 (and I think Tavares and Matthews are undertouchable) so the big 2?

Except no goals were scored off the forecheck. This is the exact problem with this site. People say stuff without either having a clue what they are talking about or they use comments from others who don't know what they are talking about to form an opinion. The Leafs gave up too many odd man rushes due to forwards blowing assignments at the opposition Blueline. That has nothing to do with the cycle.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:41 a.m.
Banned
They can add Gudas without trading Marner fairly easily and Juulsen isnt a top 4 dman. Hes 23 now with only 44 NHL games under his belt. Dermott and Holl (who people are saying are the problem) are probably twice as good. Not to mention the return that the Leafs could actually get if they decide to move Marner would be much better than this so why is it even being discussed?

Dermott is getting heat because there was a pinch in game 3 that led to a goal and the commentators blamed him. The reality was Kapanen was supposed to be the high forward and he was down at the dot and couldn't recover. The Leafs system calls on the defence to pinch to maintain offensive possession but it's paramount the high forward does his job to protect from odd man rushes. Kapanen blows that job all the time. As did Robertson and even JT a couple of times. This happens again and again and idiots blame the defenceman for doing exactly what they are supposed to do.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 7:48 a.m.
Hard No from Philly
Aug. 14, 2020 at 8:27 a.m.
If TML was to present that exact deal to MTL, 2 things would happen within 15 minutes of the call:
1- MTL would accept and even pay for the long distance call...
2- Dubas and everyone else in Front office would get fired on the spot + riots would last for days on Bay St.!!
Aug. 14, 2020 at 8:27 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Oilers take that and run
Aug. 14, 2020 at 9:33 a.m.
The Marner/Domi deal is a steal for the Habs. But Montreal would never bail Toronto out otherwise. Marner's contract makes him almost untradeable especially given the flat cap. Contracts Montreal needs to sign next year: Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, Petry, Armia, Lehkonen. And the following year: Chiarot, Kulak, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi. Montreal isn't going into cap hell for fair value on Marner. So Toronto can keep Marner and enjoy an extremely top heavy team for years that can't get out of the first round (and struggles to make the playoffs).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll