SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Quinn Hughes

Is Quinn Already a Top 5 Defenseman?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:34 a.m.
I knew he was a great puck handler and PP QB, but I really had no idea how great his overall playmaking ability is. His zone exits are superb. His vision and hockey IQ are superb. Some people might say his size is his only weakness, but it just makes him more elusive. How did he fall to 7th in the 2018 Draft? Size? I also believe he's much more dynamic than Cale Makar. He's also younger than Makar. Forget potential for a moment. Is Quinn top 5 in the NHL on the back end right now?

Here's my top 5 all-around D:

1. Roman Josi
2. Victor Hedman
3. Seth Jones
4. Quinn Hughes
5. John Carlson

Any thoughts?
Aug. 17, 2020 at 8:34 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I knew he was a great puck handler and PP QB, but I really had no idea how great his overall playmaking ability is. His zone exits are superb. His vision and hockey IQ are superb. Some people might say his size is his only weakness, but it just makes him more elusive. How did he fall to 7th in the 2018 Draft? Size? I also believe he's much more dynamic than Cale Makar. He's also younger than Makar. Forget potential for a moment. Is Quinn top 5 in the NHL on the back end right now?

1. Roman Josi
2. Victor Hedman
3. Seth Jones
4. Quinn Hughes
5. John Carlson

Any thoughts?

no, i dont even have john carlson in the top 5 defensively. he was great offensively this year but he let his defensive game slide to put up points. I dont think hughes is there yet. he could very well get there but i dont think defensively he is there yet either.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 8:47 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Quoting: Brian2016

1. Roman Josi
2. Victor Hedman
3. Seth Jones
4. Quinn Hughes
5. John Carlson

Any thoughts?

He isnt even the best defenceman in this rookie class pal
Remus liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 2:29 a.m.
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
He isnt even the best defenceman in this rookie class pal

Makar is also elite, but he plays with far superior players
Aug. 18, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
"right now" is a pretty hard to quantify at the moment. Everyone is coming out of that pause differently. Josi isnt playing. Carlson isnt playing like Carlson.

But Hughes is proving to be an incredible talent for sure and is probably going to be in that conversation next season. Id be curious to see how he goes against Vegas if the Canucks can get through.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Rangsey
"right now" is a pretty hard to quantify at the moment. Everyone is coming out of that pause differently. Josi isnt playing. Carlson isnt playing like Carlson.

But Hughes is proving to be an incredible talent for sure and is probably going to be in that conversation next season. Id be curious to see how he goes against Vegas if the Canucks can get through.

They could play Colorado if Calgary wins their series. But either series should be a tonne of fun.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:38 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
They could play Colorado if Calgary wins their series. But either series should be a tonne of fun.

Oh man. COL vs. VAN to reach the West Final AND settle the Quinn vs. Cale debate...at least til next season. I picked this matchup in my bracket, but sadly, it looks like the 2 Canadian teams are in big trouble.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:40 a.m.
Quoting: Rangsey

I guess I meant, "right now" as if everyone was still playing. I still think Josi is the best all around D. Not his fault the Press are spending $16M AAV on two 3rd line Centers.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 12:06 p.m.
torontos finest
no

defenseman are difficult but there are several players who would be considered better than hughes:

namely: pietrangelo, wereinski, theodore, klingberg, giordano, krug, hamilton, mcavoy, burns, slavin, ellis and dahlin

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit