SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Offseason Trades?

Aug. 18, 2020 at 9:42 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Is there a need for trades this offseason? With two of the top pending UFAs to dangle over the market in Tuna and Petry, we have flexibility on who goes where. Domi is also an RFA, and lots of trades have him going somewhere for a Dman. So, just looking at options; what to do?
Aug. 18, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Aug. 18, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
1st of all, Bergevin will extend Petry this offseason. We dont have anyone to replace Petry in the near future.
Tatar will stay IMO and if we are out of the playoffs comes TDL, he'll get dealt
As for Domi, I would only trade him for Brodin or Hanifin +
Remus liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Id love to get Poulin and 15th OA for Domi. As for Tatar, I would do a trade involving a 2021 first. Maybe NAS could be a great fit for him. If they could do a top 3 protect pick, that could potentially gives us a top 2021 talent if NAS have a bad season. As for Petry, I think hes getting a new deal unless a team is willing to pay a nice price for him. Maybe Connor from WPG (since I saw trade Pulock for Connor one v one which could be a great base to a similar deal including Petry even though hes older than Pulock).
Remus liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.
Goals for the offseason:

- Find a top pairing LHD (Doesn't have to be Elite, just better than what we have)
- Find a good backup goaltender
Remus liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
Petry should and probably will be extended. Can’t see Tatar here past next season but he could be a decent trade option at the draft. Danault will be really interesting as kk and Suzuki are looking good and past next year should take over the team, each playing 20 a night. Domi should only be traded for another forward as shown is games 1&3 we can’t score. Maybe Hoffman on a 3 year deal could work
Aug. 18, 2020 at 11:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
In terms of trades, nothing needs to happen. Obviously if you’re able to make the team better, you jump on it, but there’s nothing that MB will be actively seeking this summer. The only thing that needs to happen is getting a backup goalie, which will probably happen through the free agent market. Otherwise, just stay the course, and probably sign Jeff Petry and Claude Julien to extensions.

The big decisions will come next offseason, and what happens this season for some players will determine what happens in 2021.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 12:05 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
In terms of trades, nothing needs to happen. Obviously if you’re able to make the team better, you jump on it, but there’s nothing that MB will be actively seeking this summer. The only thing that needs to happen is getting a backup goalie, which will probably happen through the free agent market. Otherwise, just stay the course, and probably sign Jeff Petry and Claude Julien to extensions.

The big decisions will come next offseason, and what happens this season for some players will determine what happens in 2021.

Krug/Gustafsson/Vatanen

Greiss/Miller/Smith

Who would you pick? Seems like we should make some improvements
Aug. 19, 2020 at 1:15 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsForEver
Krug/Gustafsson/Vatanen

Greiss/Miller/Smith

Who would you pick? Seems like we should make some improvements

For the D, none of the above. We definitely shouldn't be wasting our cap space on LHD. Especially Gustafsson. If Vatanen is willing to take a one year deal, amazing, but he'll certainly get a better offer elsewhere with a team that needs him more.

For the G, definitely not Miller or Smith. Griess would be good, but any backu could end up anywhere. I'd just go for the best goalie that is willing to take a one year deal.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:03 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
I hoping Bergevin has the guts to admit he messed up and trade Drouin. It''l probably be a lesser value than what we gave up. But Drouin is so streaky, and when he's off offensively, he really brings nothing else to the table. I think this offseason will be a good time to move him, his value is not that bad, but one more "off year" and I think he'll be practically worthless.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 8:43 a.m.
Evans truther
I don't see much in the offseason, with the expansion draft around the corner and us not being contenders it isn't the right time to give assets and acquire big names.
-Petry should be extended because he's good but mainly as Weber's handcuff, if the captain goes down our defense won't look as shaky if Petry's still around, I personally wouldn't give more than 3-4 years of term which brings him to 35-36.
-Tatar seems to be loving it here so I'd wait and see at least until the midway point of next season if I'm letting myself go and listening to offers or resigning him.
-Domi ... Oh boy this website's all around the place on this guy, thanks to medias constantly telling us that Domi isn't happy here because he can't play center in our top six. I don't buy it, his analytic says he's better at center then wing so that's the main reason I'd be looking to what other GMs are ready to offer for him and I'd start calling right now. Not buying the "Penguins are looking to acquire him" storyline either, Rutherford wouldn't differ his first rounder for an unprotected one just to trade it away for immediate help, knowing that his team's aging and his prospect pool's trash plain and simple he doesn't hold the chips to trade for big names, I'd say he'll go on the UFA market and maybe make a trade or two to shed some salary. If a trade happens it'll be west and some teams I think could look to seriously acquire him are Winnipeg and Minnesota that's it. Both teams are missing a top six center and are playoff worthy (With Kaprizov and maybe Beckman coming throughout the season the Wild could surprise people). If I'm Bergevin and one of those team's calling me with something similar to what we're seeing on capfriendly, boy I'm thinking long and hard, offers being; 2021 1st, Heinola and Perreault or 2021 1st (Lower of the two) and Boldy.
-Trust the process, don't go out and sign big UFAs on long term deal because the rookies are coming.
-Backup goaltender solely because management has no trust in Lindgren (I'm thinking differently).

All in all there's no need for a trade but being where we are he should at the very least listen to the offers sent his way. Don't expect anything big in the offseason because Bergevin's made a name of himself, he signs/trade for low key players at bargain prices. Petry, Vanek, Byron, DLau, Nate, Kulak, Danault, Kovalchuk, Domi and more have been acquired for close to nothing compared to what they've brought to the team. He's good at it and will keep doing it so if you're looking at the UFA board, take your eyes off Pietrangelo, Crawford and Hall because we're more likely to get Shattenkirk, Dell and Craig Smith and it's fine this way.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 12:31 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I hoping Bergevin has the guts to admit he messed up and trade Drouin. It''l probably be a lesser value than what we gave up. But Drouin is so streaky, and when he's off offensively, he really brings nothing else to the table. I think this offseason will be a good time to move him, his value is not that bad, but one more "off year" and I think he'll be practically worthless.

Drouin costs $5.5 M per year. He brings around 50 points a year. That is a fair deal. IMO. So just keep him.
HabsForEver liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 12:44 a.m.
After watching the game tonight and the price Gallagher paid to get things moving, that brings me to the impact of Max Domi on the team.

He is a corridor winger with no hockey sense. He has speed and normally some grit but not now. If I was Marc Bergevin, I would go in arbitration and get a one year contract with him. At trade deadline, if Mtl is out, trade him with a retained salary for a late first and a A prospect. According to backup goalie, bring Primeau up. I know it is early but it will be the best option.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
Really depends on what MB wants to do. I have a very different philosophy so it doesn't really matter what I'd do. Based on what MB has shown he wants he'd want to create a team of guys that play the way he likes (high character), so if thats the case its time to trade Domi and Drouin. Go get some more character guys with those two. Drouin is the epitome of the opposite of what MB wants. Domi is a decent player but not the right fit anymore with KK and Suzuki stepping up in the center roles. He could really help the Habs shore up another area of need.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll