Forums/Armchair-GM

Hawks potential draftees

Created by: Cham
Team: 2020-21 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2020
Published: Aug. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I really want to know who we could take since we need at least one forward prospect to be a top 6 guy and still have other holes but these are the guys that i'd be most interested in

Jack Quinn (RW) - Definitely not going to be available at 17 but i think depending on how a few teams in the top 10 see their future the hawks could package their first and potentially a player for a higher pick in order to give the hawks a great young RW especially if Saad may need to walk in FA in two years due to the flat cap. Theres a huge gap between Quinn and anyone available at 17 and if the hawks can get a player who looks like he could be somewhere between TJ Oshie and Patrick Kane how you not try and make an offer for him if you want to return to cup winning form. Theres a reason he led he OHL in even strength goals and was second to only Nick Robertson for all goals, even without having Rossi as his center except for a few times.

Dawson Mercer (RW) - Could be available at 17 but likely is taken right before and so the hawks could potentially make a trade with a team like the Oilers who are rumored to want Dylan Holloway who should go around 20 if the Oilers want to get another asset for free. His hands are absolutely amazing and looks like Patrick Kane in the corners where he goes in with a man on him and ends up with him five feet behind him facing the wrong way, he could be a great complement to one of our LW snipers Cat and Kubalik.

Mavrik Bourque (C) - He could be available as late as 30, which also gives the option of trading down and moving up our 2nd or getting an extra pick, similar to moving down for Joki in 2017. An exciting right shot center who sees the game at an NHL veteran level already, we do seem to have our three top centers in place and have Barratt and Kurashev coming up but he could work well on the RW and have the option to take draws or rotate between wing and center with Strome or someone else.

Seth Jarvis (RW) - In a similar boat to Mercer where he could be taken right before the Hawks pick but he is a solid player all around, led the WHL in points among draft eligible players, and looks like a safe bet to be a similar player to Brandon Saad but probably a bit better, where he's a roughly 60 point guy with no deficiencies in his game.

Ryan O'Rourke (LD) - Could go anywhere from 25 to 45, I know the last thing the hawks need with their first two picks is a defenseman but the hawks don't have a top guy who has a booming shot from the point like Seabs did and O'Rourke has that ability, he's a solid defender and can jump into the rush well which bodes well for this new generation of "defensemen" Its also not a guarantee that all of our guys make the NHL or stick after they do, I'm also concerned with Vlasic putting up 0 goals 4 assists and -5 in his first year at BU and their both LHD.

Ridly Greig (LW) - should go in the second round, Hard working LW that could slot in great with Dach and Kane and would allow Dach to take on more of a playmaking role rather than him needing to drive play or always be the guy in the corners or crease, the skill isn't necessarily there but i think especially come playoff time a work ethic and compete level matters more than just pure skill.

Zion Nybeck (LW) - could go late first round but could also drop quite a bit since he's only 5'8" and didn't play or do much in the SHL, he's a great forechecker, great hands, and can get the puck in the net, but he needs to put on some more weight if he wants to be an NHL player. Nybeck would be another great option at LW with Dach and Kane if you want to give them a more skilled player, he can help Dach on the forecheck and Dach's height could make up for his lack of height I guess

Sam Colangelo (RW) - I don't know a ton about him other that he could go in the third round, he had a great year in the USHL on a great Chicago Steel team and could be another good prospect to add to a non existent RW prospect pool (outside of Entwistle).

Nico Daws (G) - Should be available with either the flames 3rd or our own 4th or 5th, but imo the second best goalie in the draft, had the best save percentage in the OHL (and I think the best among draft eligible CHL-ers) and against a better than normal draft class in the CHL, if the hawks sign Crow for another 3 or so years you should have more than enough time to develop into an NHL starter, I also love the name for some reason and it kinda reminds me of Dustin Wolf and Carter Hart, but Nico is two letters short ig

No clue what the hawks can do while Toews and Kane are still at a 1st line/elite level but they gotta do something.

🤷‍♂️

ANYONE EXCEPT ASKAROV
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
9$81,500,000$8,325,000$0$0$73,175,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Greig, Ridly
$925,000$925,000
Quinn, Jack
$925,000$925,000
Nybeck, Zion
$925,000$925,000
Bourque, Mavrik
$925,000$925,000
Mercer, Dawson
$925,000$925,000
Jarvis, Seth
$925,000$925,000
Colangelo, Sam
$925,000$925,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
ORourke, Ryan
$925,000$925,000
Daws, Nico
$925,000$925,000
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
need, one more player
$925,000$925,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:07 a.m.
In Connor We Trust
I would like Jarvis, amirov, or a LD in ORourke or Guhle. but if Quinn drops to chicago that will be amazing

but Chicago knows how to draft, so it should be interesting
Cham liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:08 a.m.
Crawford Lover
Why would you not trade up for Askarov?
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:14 a.m.
Quoting: Beetlejuice
I would like Jarvis, amirov, or a LD in ORourke or Guhle. but if Quinn drops to chicago that will be amazing

lol, I hope that Quinn would just drop to us but i'd be willing to give up a lot to trade up for him, also idk enough about Amarov and i think we should take the best RW/right shot forward with our first pick since three of our best forward prospects are all lefties and we're adding Suter.
Beetlejuice liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:15 a.m.
Quoting: crowismydad
Why would you not trade up for Askarov?

I don't want to pay him 10 million in three to five years, I also don't trust Russian goalies in playoffs for some reason
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:17 a.m.
In Connor We Trust
Quoting: Cham
lol, I hope that Quinn would just drop to us but i'd be willing to give up a lot to trade up for him, also idk enough about Amarov and i think we should take the best RW/right shot forward with our first pick since three of our best forward prospects are all lefties and we're adding Suter.

In my mock draft I have Quinn going to nashville but I don't know who to give up to trade up. Maybe Murphy idk?
But I'd rather trade Murphy for Tuch
Cham liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:25 a.m.
In my mock draft I have Quinn going to nashville but I don't know who to give up to trade up. Maybe Murphy idk?
But I'd rather trade Murphy for Tuch

Yeah, him probably going to Nashville is another reason i'd want to trade up, If Seabs is good to go and Regula probably only needs another year then I could see the Hawks trading Murphy, i'd want to keep Pittsburghs second so we can get another good player, and so someone could bite on Nylander even after these playoffs, or otherwise potentially Saad in a bigger deal since its basically a guarantee that he has to walk in FA in 2 years which would also mean we'd need to keep Caggulia for wing depth.
Beetlejuice liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:27 a.m.
In Connor We Trust
Yeah, him probably going to Nashville is another reason i'd want to trade up, If Seabs is good to go and Regula probably only needs another year then I could see the Hawks trading Murphy, i'd want to keep Pittsburghs second so we can get another good player and so unless someone bites on Nylander after these playoffs, or otherwise potentially Saad in a bigger deal since its basically a guarantee that he has to walk in FA in 2 years which would also mean we'd need to keep Caggulia for wing depth.

We wouldn't need to trade up, if the Blackhawks were smart and just losed against Edmonton. I also would like Mercer
Cham liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 4:33 a.m.
We wouldn't need to trade up, if the Blackhawks were smart and just losed against Edmonton. I also would like Mercer

Fr, I was so torn when we beat EDM, like I was glad that the young guys could get experience but, idk why EDM had to choke so hard, and Mercer would be a good consolation to Quinn because hes also a dynamic talent, but It seems like Quinn's stock is falling a bit since his rose so much during his season and I think a lot of scouts are going back to guys they liked more before the season so the hawks could have a real good chance to l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶ I mean trade up.
Beetlejuice liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:56 a.m.

Amirov is a high skill periphery guy. Great complement to a play-driving centre, not so great at driving a line on his own. I feel like he’d be a great fit with a team like EDM or PIT with multiple play-driving centres. Take that how you will, I know Dach and Strome are skilled of course, but I don’t know how good they are at driving play, and considering that is likely your future 1-2 punch they would need to be good to make drafting Amirov worthwhile. If you think they’re set in that regard Amirov is probably the most skilled player that could be available at 17. I had him going at 14 in my mock cuz I like the fit in Edmonton so much but he’s a possibility.

In my mock I had Zary going to the Hawks at 17, he’s a left shot centre and projects as a 2nd liner. Not sure if they’ll need that with Dach/Strome but you can never have enough good centres, and he’s probably going to be the best available if he drops to that point, he’s got a good mix of skill and likelihood to stick in the NHL imo. I had them snagging Daws at 47. Because he’s the second best goalie in the draft I just don’t see him falling to the 3rd honestly, some team is gonna take a chance on him in the 2nd. Ottawa’s 5th through 8th picks of the draft are 52/53/55/64, if they don’t take Daws or Blomqvist (in that order) with one of those picks I would be very surprised, when you have 8 picks it just makes logical sense to try and add a decent goalie to your prospect pool at that point imo, so if the Hawks want him they’d have to take him with their pick at 47 (and I think that’s a good choice).
Cham liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 10:59 a.m.
Quinn should be there at 17 (and there will still be better players available), but he probably won't

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll