Forums/Armchair-GM

Getting Younger And Tougher To Play Against

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2020
Published: Aug. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm not saying that any of these trades are realistic, but this is the type of team I would like to see for the Penguins next season.

First off is addressing the need for a top line right winger to play with Crosby cuz most do not want Simon or Sheary there fore another season. Ideally the Penguins would want someone who is elite, shoots right and can play the left wall on the powerplay. I've been hearing a lot of speculation that the Leafs are desperate to trade Mitch Marner. If that's the case, then they will not have a lot of negotiating power when trying to work a deal with other teams and will likely have to take the best offer available. I feel a package of Hornqvist and Johnson fits their needs as they are in search of grit up front and defensive help. Both players are kinda considered dead weight in Pittsburgh cuz they don't really fit in anymore.

It has also been suggested that if the Penguins want to continue with their speed and puck possession system, they're going to need to add some size and heaviness to accommodate the smaller guys as the speed gap between teams in today's game is not really an advantage. One guy who's been on my radar for a long time is Sam Bennett. He's got pretty good speed and plays an extremely physical game with a nasty edge. Though his offensive production has not translated at the NHL level, he's got plenty of skill. I'd try to make a deal revolving around him and Matt Murray, since Calgary needs a good goalie (Rittich is average). Bennett's playmaking ability could accommodate McCann's shot really well.

The NYR trade is optional. I heard that Samuel Poulin almost made the team last season and many are expecting him to make the jump officially this season. However, there are also doubts because of his poor skating and conditioning. If he is still a few seasons away, I'd trade for Julien Gauthier. An extremely heavy forechecker who is not afraid to deliver the body. Not to mention has lots of size and speed.

Last big move is the Joshua Moniscalco signing. There has been rumours that the Penguins want to sign him and he's played very well for Arizona State. So maybe he develops into another John Marino.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
3$3,500,000
1$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Maniscalco, Joshua
3$925,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Marner, Mitchell
Additional Details:
*Leafs get a top 6 winger with a gritty power-forward presence and a top 4 RD
PIT
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. 2022 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
*Flames get young starting goalie with 2 cups to his resume
CGY
  1. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
  2. Simon, Dominik [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. Gauthier, Julien
Additional Details:
*Trade only happens if Poulin is not ready
PIT
    Future Considerations
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$79,941,508$0$1,150,000$1,558,492

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    Maniscalco, Joshua
    $925,000$925,000
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
    It’s a joke. Both players are crap.

And unless JJ was drastically different in every Pens game that I didn’t watch, it’s idiotic to think that he’s much better than Alzner. The only difference is that Julien has the guts to actually send a player making $4.6 million to the AHL, while Sullivan is either too stupid, or too scared of making Rutherford look bad to actually play people that are better than him in the NHL.

And don’t get me wrong, I would love to see this happen, but you need to understand that Kyle Dubas isn’t an idiot. Peter Chiarelli wouldn’t even do this deal.

IMO Jack Johnson was horrible for most of the season, but it has more to do with the way he was used. For example, the coach always put him alongside an offensive defenceman who doesn’t support his game at all. When he played in CBJ with a shutdown partner (Savard), he did well. Even at the start of the year with Marino, he was good. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t be that way if he plays with Muzzin.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:43 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Capitalfail67
    Yeah both players arent very good and Marner is.... lol i would rather retain 50% of Marners salary (roughly5.5 millio)n and only get a top 10 draft pick and a high end prospect than do this. to be clear what i suggested is a terrible idea and by no means would/should the leafs do that but its 100x better than whats suggested..

Yeah totally
    Capitalfail67 and TML_Tika liked this.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:49 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mhockey91
    once again, the rest of the trades aren't bad, but you completely lose all credibility with the Marner trade? why do you do it? im genuinely curious. you clearly know its an awful trade for toronto since you've proven you have some hockey sense with other posts. do you really just want to troll leafs fans that bad? I just dont understand why.

No, my intention isn’t to troll Leaf fans. I just want to prove my point that Marner does not have a lot of trade value because of the Leafs’ current situation. They will be the ones calling other teams to take him on so other teams have the power to fleece them to a bad deal. I would like the Pens to get Marner but that’s the most I’m willing to offer.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:52 p.m.
    Once again more anti-Marner comments and trade by @MitchMarnerElite who is really a Penguins fan and highly jealous of Marner and the Leafs.

I thought you received a warning on Cap friendly last week for posting these kind of anti-Marner trades and comments about the player?

Marner is a tremendous young hockey player and great role model for a lot of kids and does nothing but good things for a lot of less fortunate people in this world. You really need to think harder about why you are making these kind of posts on Capfriendly about Marner as it is very disheartening as a hockey fan as it is just so wrong.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
    That is this robot's entire life, **** talking Marner and giving him away for cap dumps. It's old news already.

Quoting: Capitalfail67
    Yeah both players arent very good and Marner is.... lol i would rather retain 50% of Marners salary (roughly5.5 millio)n and only get a top 10 draft pick and a high end prospect than do this. to be clear what i suggested is a terrible idea and by no means would/should the leafs do that but its 100x better than whats suggested.. that just shows tht Marner contract is high but not to the point where they take on almost 9 million in useless cap for him

What evidence are you using to claim that Hornqvist & Johnson are cap dumps? Sure both guys are older, but they can still be effective players.

Hornqvist is still the best net front presence in the league. Is a good goal scorer & brings that power forward snarl the Leafs badly need. He has had chemistry wit Nylander in the past.

I believe Johnson can still be an effective top 4 D if he’s used correctly. He needs to play alongside Muzzin, cuz alongside a shutdown D, he always has excelled. See his stats from his time in CBJ with Savard:

https://imgur.com/gallery/cwqzsMu
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: TML_Tika
    Once again more anti-Marner comments and trade by @MitchMarnerElite who is really a Penguins fan and highly jealous of Marner and the Leafs.

I thought you received a warning on Cap friendly last week for posting these kind of anti-Marner trades and comments about the player?

Marner is a tremendous young hockey player and great role model for a lot of kids and does nothing but good things for a lot of less fortunate people in this world. You really need to think harder about why you are making these kind of posts on Capfriendly about Marner as it is very disheartening as a hockey fan as it is just so wrong.

How is this an anti-Marner trade? I literally traded for him as a Penguins fan. That means I’m pro Marner!
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:18 p.m.
    You can't seriously think this is fair, do you? Two cap dumps for an elite winger? Come on.

If this is acceptable, I expect the Leafs to trade the rights to Nathan Horton and David Clarkson for Mikko Rantanen
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:23 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: leafs101
    You can't seriously think this is fair, do you? Two cap dumps for an elite winger? Come on.

If this is acceptable, I expect the Leafs to trade the rights to Nathan Horton and David Clarkson for Mikko Rantanen

No I don’t think the value is fair, but I think the trade scenario makes sense. The only reason why everyone is calling Hornqvist & Johnson cap dumps is cuz they’re old & played out their welcome in PIT. But they can still be contributors to a team that needs them like TOR.

https://youtu.be/K7uZIVLU02M

I watched a video recently that discussed the possibilities of a Marner trade. The analyst stated that since Toronto is desperate, they don’t have a lot of negotiation power as they will be begging other teams to take him off their hands. Most likely Toronto will end up getting fleeced, like in this trade.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
    Banned
    Ignoring the unrealistic trades, what'd you guys think of this team I built? Are they a Stanley Cup contender?
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:50 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
    Ignoring the unrealistic trades, what'd you guys think of this team I built? Are they a Stanley Cup contender?

Not sure that D holds up.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 6:59 p.m.
    Ignoring the unrealistic and extremely lopsided trades (I am willing to bet my life savings that Dubas has JJ hard blacklisted lol) and also the fact that the Penguins are not gonna be a cap team next year...

My main gripe is with the defense. I like Letang, I like Marino, not so much a fan of anything else, like they’re okay, but nothing special. If one of Letang or Marino goes down (cough cough Letang is made of glass) things get ugly super quick. I also don’t know if relying on a goalie with no playoff experience is the play, but he is young and talented so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. But those four forward lines are lethal and relentless. Physicality, 2-way play, high levels of skill and speed mixed in, that’s literally the forward corps of nightmares for anyone to face. If they don’t beat you by outscoring you they’ll beat you by grinding you into the dirt. So yeah I’d say because there honestly isn’t really a flaw anywhere with their forwards, they have a chance.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
    Letang gets injured in the first rd, defense falls apart.. marner doesnt show in the playoffs, they get beat in the 1st rd
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:12 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mokumboi
    Not sure that D holds up.

Well, I think the top 4 is really good, so is Riikola in a third pair role. The main concern will be Moniscalco. If he turns into a blue chip like Marino, then that blueline is tremendous.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Alfie11
    Ignoring the unrealistic and extremely lopsided trades (I am willing to bet my life savings that Dubas has JJ hard blacklisted lol) and also the fact that the Penguins are not gonna be a cap team next year...

My main gripe is with the defense. I like Letang, I like Marino, not so much a fan of anything else, like they’re okay, but nothing special. If one of Letang or Marino goes down (cough cough Letang is made of glass) things get ugly super quick. I also don’t know if relying on a goalie with no playoff experience is the play, but he is young and talented so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. But those four forward lines are lethal and relentless. Physicality, 2-way play, high levels of skill and speed mixed in, that’s literally the forward corps of nightmares for anyone to face. If they don’t beat you by outscoring you they’ll beat you by grinding you into the dirt. So yeah I’d say because there honestly isn’t really a flaw anywhere with their forwards, they have a chance.

Thanks for the feedback. Agree about the Forward group, they are perfect. Regarding the D, I think the top 4 is solid. Dumoulin is an excellent shutdown defenceman & Pettersson has been improving every year. Played well this season. The main concern is the third pair, there is a rookie coming out of college, so no idea how he pans out.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: JeffW
    Letang gets injured in the first rd, defense falls apart.. marner doesnt show in the playoffs, they get beat in the 1st rd

I mean, you’re not wrong since that’s usually the case.
    JeffW liked this.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
    NCHockeyYT

yes but i dont think Gauthier is what pens need. I'd rather have Matt Martin or Sam Lafferty at that spot. I sure hope Poulin is ready tho. maybe put him with crosby and guentzel??
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KCNRoyal
    yes but i dont think Gauthier is what pens need. I'd rather have Matt Martin or Sam Lafferty at that spot. I sure hope Poulin is ready tho. maybe put him with crosby and guentzel??

If Poulin is ready he’ll replace Gauthier. I don’t think it’s a good idea to give him top line minutes right off the bat, especially since he just came from junior.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 8:03 p.m.
    How is this an anti-Marner trade? I literally traded for him as a Penguins fan. That means I’m pro Marner!

I find it is more anti-Marner sediments by you when i read your anti-marner comments and then see you put together another anti-marner trade with no value coming back to the Leafs. I wish you would just give up on your anti-Marner posts and concentrate of real posts because I do think you are quite knowledgeable when you put your mind to good uses.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 8:30 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: TML_Tika
    I find it is more anti-Marner sediments by you when i read your anti-marner comments and then see you put together another anti-marner trade with no value coming back to the Leafs. I wish you would just give up on your anti-Marner posts and concentrate of real posts because I do think you are quite knowledgeable when you put your mind to good uses.

Just because he doesn’t have any trade value doesn’t mean I don’t like him or think he’s bad. It all depends on the situation & right now the Leafs aren’t in a position to get anything back in a trade for him.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 9:36 p.m.

I do not want to be subscribed to your comments please Unsubscribe me please.
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 9:40 p.m.
    Jack Johnson isn’t a top 4 D in the ahl let alone nhl. He’s also not a right D. Just go back to his first 3 months here if you want proof. Even if both players were making league min. the leafs want zero part of that deal. I don’t even think the league would allow it, it’s that lopsided in the pens favor.
    For the Calgary trade, make the 1st a. 7th and it’s probably fair. Otherwise it’s again, very lopsided in the pens favor.
    I’d rather keep Legare.
    Ottawa wants nothing to do with Bjugstad unless he is a free agent. Bjugstad to a contender with cap space is the only thing that makes sense for a Bjugstad trade. He has too big of a cap hit and owed too much real dollars for cheapskate melnyk to want him.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.
    Adomaitis
    That Toronto trade made me ill. So terrible for Leafs
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.

It's a totally anti-Marner trade because you trade him for no value which means you think he has no value and means you are very negative about Marner. I thought I read some warning CapFriendly sent you about your anti-Marner trades. I also read the post you sent yesterday with some more anti-Marner sentiments that you copied in to atleast 35 Leafs fans but then you immediately deleted the CC portion to the 35 Leaf fans to get them to read your negative type post to destroy the evidence of what you were doing before anyone else noticed........Everyone knows including CapFriendly what you are doing.
    Aug. 19, 2020 at 10:49 p.m.
    Just because he doesn’t have any trade value doesn’t mean I don’t like him or think he’s bad. It all depends on the situation & right now the Leafs aren’t in a position to get anything back in a trade for him.

How can you honestly say he doesn't have any trade value as the statement makes absolutely no sense at he is a 23 year old player on pace for 90 to 110 points per year who plays 5x5, PP and PK and is well liked by his teamates and fans and great role model for kids....... How can you say that Leafs are not in a position to get anything back for a young player like Marner?
    Aug. 20, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
    Jefe
    If these trades were to somehow go through, the D looks too sketchy to make it more than one round. I have no idea who Maniscalco is, unless he is a clone of John Marino I'm not confident, and last I checked Penguins fans see Riikola as a 7. Can Letang stay healthy and perform like they expect him to? Not sure. Offense is probably good enough to win a round but the D would have to play out of their mind. Also Jarry would have to be the guy

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll