SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Who to dress?

Who would be your first choice in the lineup?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Not that Gallagher is out, the habs have to decide which 2 players to put in the lineup (in addition to the top 9 + Evans). So I’ll just use this thread to contemplate each player to decide who should probably be in the lineup.

Hudon - Can score goals if he gets the chances. Good playmaker, but won’t be trusted defensively. Most times he doesn’t have an impact on the game, but he can make a difference by scoring a goal if he is on. Usually plays on the PP when he is in the lineup in the regular season, but there are better options right now.
Biggest Positive Impact: Goal-Scoring
Biggest Negative Impact: Defensive Play

Weal - Good playmaker, can’t score goals, not trusted defensively. Sometimes plays on the PP, on the right or left wall, but he’s much worse than anyone currently on the PP. And the habs need people on the PP that are actually a threat to score. He is a right handed player that can take faceoffs, which could come in handy if the C gets thrown out, or if he’s playing with a left-shot centre (which he won’t be).
Biggest Positive Impact: Playmaking, Faceoff Prowess
Biggest Negative Impact: Defensive Deficiencies, Lack of a Shot

Weise - Absolutely no offense. Solid player that can play a physical game. Sometimes kills penalties, but he would be 7th on the list of PK forwards. Slightly slower than most other players, and with worse hands, meaning that he sometimes can’t keep up with the play in the offensive zone.
Biggest Positive Impact: Physicality
Biggest Negative Impact: Lack of Speed

Poehling - Sound defensively. Is a PK option, but probably won’t play on the PK if everyone is healthy. Left shot face off man, so he could complement Evans well in that regard. Does not produce offense most of the time. Maybe he can tap into a bit of the offensive potential he showed in his first NHL game, but that’s very unlikely. Could potentially play Gallagher’s bumper position on the PP, but that would be more likely to go to Danault/Evans. Maybe the most flexible out of all the options.
Biggest Positive Impact: Offense? (This is a big stretch, so most likely nothing)
Biggest Negative Impact: Nothing

Belzile - Not anything special in any area. He doesn’t make mistakes, but he’s not amazing defensively, and he doesn’t have any finish. Has no weakness, nor does he have strengths. He won’t affect the game, negatively or positively.
Biggest Positive Impact: Nothing
Biggest Negative Impact: Nothing

Highest Reward Offensively
1 - Hudon
2 - Poehling (Because of his debut)
3 - Weal
4 - Belzile
5 - Weise

Most Safe
1 - Belzile
2 - Weise
3 - Poehling
4 - Hudon
5 - Weal

So out of these five choices, we have Belzile who is the safest pick, Weise who can contribute physically, Hudon who can score goals, Poehling who we don’t really know what he’ll be (most likely safe, like Belzile), and Weal (ugh).

So I’d cross out Weal right away. Then I’d say that my first choice is probably Hudon. He was in the lineup over the other 4 players yesterday, and he definitely has the most potential to have a big impact on the game by scoring a goal. After that, it’s interesting. They could go with the physical Weise, since the series is heating up, or they could go with the players that might be a bit better offensively. I’d probably lean towards Poehling, since worse case scenario, he’s slightly worse than Belzile, and best case scenario he rekindles his debut magic, and factors in on a goal or two. Plus he’s able to take faceoffs.

And I do realize that a bunch of people on Twitter were losing their minds that Poehling wasn’t in the lineup, but I really don’t think that he’ll make much of a difference, or that he’s as good of a hockey player as a lot of people think he is. I definitely wouldn’t have put him in the lineup before now. I would just put him in the lineup to give him a chance to show he can be better than Belzile.

What do you think?
@GMs @HabsFan9 @Campabee @SevenLeg @MaxDomi13 @F50marco @Blazingbat11 @ColonelX @Howisbergevinstillhere @math731 @DriveFor25
SlafCaufZuki and Suzuki14 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:04 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Am I crazy for taking this much time to think about who should play on the 4th line? Absolutely.
SevenLeg, math731, Remus and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Great post man. I agree 100% with your takes. My personal choice would be Poehling as he probably has growna lot in Laval. My guess is that Muller's looking for status quo and runs with either Belzile/Weise
GMs, Remus, SlafCaufZuki and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:09 p.m.
Poehling 100%, why he hasn’t played yet is rumors are he didn’t trained during the quarintine and pass the majority of is time on a boat with friends. I believe this is true, because I can’t see any other reason why he isn’t playing. He’s good overall, just need to stat on is feet ( like Kotkaniemi he falls a lot ). He has good offensive skills, during is 25 games he played with Thompson and Weal on the 4th line.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:11 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Id sure like to see Poe play but im not sure that Muller would agree with me tbh
GMs liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Considering Hudon was already in the lineup, I say he stays. As much as I like Poehling to be in the lineup, I think Belzile slots back in. Laval’s 1st (before Belzile got hurt) will be the Habs 4th line

Hudon - Evans - Belzile
SevenLeg, Kotkaniemi15 and GMs liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: GMs
Poehling 100%, why he hasn’t played yet is rumors are he didn’t trained during the quarintine and pass the majority of is time on a boat with friends. I believe this is true, because I can’t see any other reason why he isn’t playing. He’s good overall, just need to stat on is feet ( like Kotkaniemi he falls a lot ). He has good offensive skills, during is 25 games he played with Thompson and Weal on the 4th line.

That would make sense. I wonder, would they be punishing him because of that, or is he just getting back into shape? If they were punishing him, you’d think they would just bring Dauphin instead, but then again, if they bring him to Toronto he has better access to equipment & facilities to keep in shape.

Or, it could be neither of those. I don’t think that it’s inconceivable that he just wasn’t the first choice, because he wasn’t as good as Belzile/Hudon in Laval this year, and wasn’t in the NHL/doesn’t bring the same things as Weise did. And Weal was in the NHL all season, so they’d obviously start with him.
GMs and SlafCaufZuki liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 8:29 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
That would make sense. I wonder, would they be punishing him because of that, or is he just getting back into shape? If they were punishing him, you’d think they would just bring Dauphin instead, but then again, if they bring him to Toronto he has better access to equipment & facilities to keep in shape.

Or, it could be neither of those. I don’t think that it’s inconceivable that he just wasn’t the first choice, because he wasn’t as good as Belzile/Hudon in Laval this year, and wasn’t in the NHL/doesn’t bring the same things as Weise did. And Weal was in the NHL all season, so they’d obviously start with him.

Poehling played well when he got called up, didn’t put points because he wasn’t playing with good players. I like Poehling personally, I’m sure he can bring more than any other option we have
Kotkaniemi15, Remus, SlafCaufZuki and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
My choices would be Poehling and Hudon but not in a 4th line role that is not their strength or where we got weaker because of Gallager's injury. Lineup should be

Tatar-Suzuki-Hudon
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Domi
Poehling-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Evans-Armia

4 realitivly balanced lines and the 2 defensively liable players (Drouin and Hudon) are on separate lines in a more offensive role. Poehling can add scoring and help Lehkonen and Danault be even better defensively.
GMs liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 9:08 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I mean unfortunately Gallagher is out but like I'd do Poehling
Aug. 21, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
Got to think Poehling is gonna get a look. Some playoff experience for him would be important.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit