Forums/Armchair-GM

Gaudreau - Description

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 21, 2020
Published: Aug. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IF (big if) Calgary decides to tear down their current core and move on from Gaudreau, I would imagine Joe Sakic will be in the middle of the conversation. Gaudreau was great with Nathan MacKinnon for team North America at the World Cup. He would be an excellent compliment to either or Colorado’s shoot-first centers in the top six. And he would be a great bargain at $6M for the next two seasons, especially with the flat cap and some major contracts coming up for the Avalanche (Landeskog, Makar, Grubauer). No one can really say what would happen when Gaudreau’s contract expires, but it would probably be difficult to commit a big number to him with MacKinnon coming up the following season.

From Calgary’s perspective, I would have a hard time moving on from my offensive leader without getting a blue chip prospect back - either Byram or Newhook. Would Calgary consider a combination of B-level prospects? Maybe Conor Timmins and Shane Bowers? Would Colorado need to add more than that?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$81,500,000$58,335,595$0$2,500,000$23,164,405
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 21, 2020 at 12:47 a.m.
Give Calgary Makar in exchange for Gaudreau, a first round pick, and a second round pick. We need some defence, as Giordano is going to retire soon.
jonny_noble liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 1:03 a.m.
No, there will be other teams that would give up more. Just being honest. I dont see him staying in the west unless it's an unreal deal
SankFeravalli liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 1:12 a.m.
Quoting: CJets
Give Calgary Makar in exchange for Gaudreau, a first round pick, and a second round pick. We need some defence, as Giordano is going to retire soon.

You’re delusional
ItWasIn and McRanteskog liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 1:14 a.m.
In Connor We Trust
Quoting: coga16
You’re delusional

either a troll or a 11 year old kid
McRanteskog liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 9:06 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: CJets

clueless troll
Aug. 21, 2020 at 9:11 a.m.
RETIRED
I think its public knowledge now that as good as Gaudreau is in the regular season, hes far too one dimensional to make a major impact in the post season.
If you are a team looking for offense to get into the playoffs, hes a good pickup, but you cant rely on him to win you a playoff series.

As for Gaudreau to COL, it interests me, but im not willing to part with any pieces they would want in exchange (ie. Byram, Newhook, Girard etc.).
SankFeravalli liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 10:52 a.m.
Quoting: McRanteskog
I think its public knowledge now that as good as Gaudreau is in the regular season, hes far too one dimensional to make a major impact in the post season.
If you are a team looking for offense to get into the playoffs, hes a good pickup, but you cant rely on him to win you a playoff series.

As for Gaudreau to COL, it interests me, but im not willing to part with any pieces they would want in exchange (ie. Byram, Newhook, Girard etc.).

Gaudreau wouldn’t need to carry the offense for Colorado, which I think makes the fit that much more interesting. Imagine a Gaudreau-Kadri-Burakovsky 2nd line, yikes.

I would really hesitate to give up Newhook or Byram if I were Colorado. Twist my arm, and I would probably prefer trading Byram over Newhook. Gaudreau and Kadri expire in the same year and there’s a real chance Colorado wouldn’t be able to keep either of them. Newhook would be that much more important to their future forward core.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: Mergus80
Gaudreau wouldn’t need to carry the offense for Colorado, which I think makes the fit that much more interesting. Imagine a Gaudreau-Kadri-Burakovsky 2nd line, yikes.

I would really hesitate to give up Newhook or Byram if I were Colorado. Twist my arm, and I would probably prefer trading Byram over Newhook. Gaudreau and Kadri expire in the same year and there’s a real chance Colorado wouldn’t be able to keep either of them. Newhook would be that much more important to their future forward core.

no no no lol
Byram is COL future top pairing D man
Newhook is COL future 2C to fill Kardis spot when he deal is up.
Neither is on the table for 2 year rental of Gaudreau.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: McRanteskog
no no no lol
Byram is COL future top pairing D man
Newhook is COL future 2C to fill Kardis spot when he deal is up.
Neither is on the table for 2 year rental of Gaudreau.

Which is why I say “Twist my arm.” If Sakic we’re dead set on Gaudreau and it had to be one or the other, I would move Byram over Newhook in this instance.
There are a few factors at play. The value of the pieces going back and forth, Gaudreau’s fit with Colorado, and the Avs’s window to win.

Gaudreau by himself may be worth one of those two prospects but the reality that the Avs probably can’t/won’t resign him skews the value in Calgary’s favor - just like you said.
I would argue that his fit within Colorado’s window to win could justify the trade. The next 2-3 season’s will the their best chance, while MacKinnon and Kadri are on their current deals. Winning is the top priority. If you win a Stanley Cup with Gaudreau and without Byram or Newhook, in my opinion the trade is worth it.
However, Gaudreau is not coming in as their best forward, and may not even be their 2nd or 3rd best forward. His production would likely drop just based on opportunity. As good as he as and as good as he could be for the Avalanche, I don’t think a top prospect is worth a 3rd or 4th best forward. They can find a lesser player who would perform at a similar level for less cost.
So overall, the fit with their roster and their window to win makes sense, but the value isn’t worth it for only 2 years if it costs a top prospect. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Timmins+Bowers type of return, but I think the Flames would have better offers from other teams, like @Tkachuckyyy said.
Tkachuckyyy liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 8:01 p.m.
Quoting: Mergus80
Which is why I say “Twist my arm.” If Sakic we’re dead set on Gaudreau and it had to be one or the other, I would move Byram over Newhook in this instance.
There are a few factors at play. The value of the pieces going back and forth, Gaudreau’s fit with Colorado, and the Avs’s window to win.

Gaudreau by himself may be worth one of those two prospects but the reality that the Avs probably can’t/won’t resign him skews the value in Calgary’s favor - just like you said.
I would argue that his fit within Colorado’s window to win could justify the trade. The next 2-3 season’s will the their best chance, while MacKinnon and Kadri are on their current deals. Winning is the top priority. If you win a Stanley Cup with Gaudreau and without Byram or Newhook, in my opinion the trade is worth it.
However, Gaudreau is not coming in as their best forward, and may not even be their 2nd or 3rd best forward. His production would likely drop just based on opportunity. As good as he as and as good as he could be for the Avalanche, I don’t think a top prospect is worth a 3rd or 4th best forward. They can find a lesser player who would perform at a similar level for less cost.
So overall, the fit with their roster and their window to win makes sense, but the value isn’t worth it for only 2 years if it costs a top prospect. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Timmins+Bowers type of return, but I think the Flames would have better offers from other teams, like @Tkachuckyyy said.

Is there a possibility of sending Calgary Zadorov, this years 1st and a prospect like Bowers or Beaucage?
Tkachuckyyy liked this.
Aug. 22, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: jwojo
Is there a possibility of sending Calgary Zadorov, this years 1st and a prospect like Bowers or Beaucage?

Again, I think other teams would be willing to bring more to the table. It’s not a terrible offer, but I don’t think it would be the best available return for Calgary. Other teams who would be able to resign him are probably more willing to give up more too.
I think Carolina could be a fit. They’ve made some big trades recently but still have a decent prospect pool, and a surplus on defense. They also have most of their core guys signed long term (Hamilton and Svechnikov), have a decent amount of money coming off the books over the next two season, and there’s a decent trading relationship between their GMs.
Maybe something like Necas and a young D other than Hamilton/Slavin/Pesce

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll