Forums/Armchair-GM

Avalanche Offseason

Created by: Trevor31lv
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 21, 2020
Published: Aug. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's my take on the Avalanche for this upcoming offseason. This is the route I'd choose to go and I think it's is fairly realistic. I think Colorado already has such a stacked roster, so signing Taylor Hall isn't something they need to do and it could cause long term cap issues when it comes to resigning players like Landeskog and Makar in a few years. For this reason, I opted to pass on him and instead focus on resigning the team's own FAs.

Basically all players of importance for this upcoming season were brought back with the exception of Namestnikov and Zadorov. Zadorov is looking like the odd man out in the D room to create space for Byram and may want a bit more that the Avs are willing to pay. Namestnikov could also return considering the 5.5 mil in cap space I have left remaining, but is a bit up in the air. I don't think resigning him or letting him walk for the flexibility would be a wrong decision, just whatever they'd decide to do.

I'm fairly new to this, so I tried to make contracts to the retained RFAs realistic, but it's possible I'm off by a bit. If so, no big deal with the extra cap space.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,500,000
2$875,000
4$3,250,000
2$1,650,000
1$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
Trades
COL
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2021 5th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Winnipeg is gonna need help on the blue line. A contract for Zadorov would likely be in the range to cost a 2nd in RFA compensation. Adding a 5th in the following draft here allowed Winnipeg to get his rights to guarantee their ability to sign him.
WPG
  1. Zadorov, Nikita [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Colorado gets an extra 5th in addition to the 2nd they'd already get from RFA compensation for a guy they're likely gonna let walk.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,179,762$0$5,000,000$6,320,238
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
C
RFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
don't see wpg doing that
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
Quoting: wpgboy
don't see wpg doing that

Yeah, maybe not the Jets specifically. They're just the team I ended up picking. General idea was just to move Zadorov for a 2nd (which would be the likely RFA compensation) plus a later pick. Probably should've included that it being Winnipeg to do it wasn't super important.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:18 p.m.
Idk what that other guy is saying, but I’d trade for zadorov. He’s a LHD right? If so can he play 2LD? He’d be the exact kind of dman we need.
bunzy1034 and McRanteskog liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
seems pretty good. Id make a few small changes though:

-If were only giving Burakovsky 2 years then I think the AAV would be lower, but on a long term deal Id be ok with 5-5.5M

-Id be ok with that return for Zadorov, but ideally he would be traded out of the central division - I wouldnt want to face him too often with how physical he is, especially in the playoffs

-Id rather bring back Namestnikov than Nieto, especially since theres still some cap space left (its pretty likely that we wont have to spend all 5M on performance bonuses)

-Kamenev is likely going to the KHL, but if he doesnt then id be fine with him as a 13-14th forward again for that price
Trevor31lv and McRanteskog liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
I really don’t see how the jets would have a problem with this. This should be an easy yes.
McRanteskog, tsyls and Xqb15 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:29 p.m.
Quoting: moli92
seems pretty good. Id make a few small changes though:

-If were only giving Burakovsky 2 years then I think the AAV would be lower, but on a long term deal Id be ok with 5-5.5M

-Id be ok with that return for Zadorov, but ideally he would be traded out of the central division - I wouldnt want to face him too often with how physical he is, especially in the playoffs

-Id rather bring back Namestnikov than Nieto, especially since theres still some cap space left (its pretty likely that we wont have to spend all 5M on performance bonuses)

-Kamenev is likely going to the KHL, but if he doesnt then id be fine with him as a 13-14th forward again for that price

Good feedback. I got the same said to me about Burakovsky when I posted the deals in a discord server. I think I'm just overvaluing him cause I really like him as a player. What you said about Zadorov should be a given, the division thing just didn't come to mind since the teams aren't big rivals.

As for the other 2, I like the Avs cause they're fun as hell to watch, but I'm not too knowledgeable with those guy's situations. It just felt like Namesnikov was a rental to me even if they've got some extra cap space. Wasn't aware of the Kamenev situation. What's up with that? Thought he was supposed to be a pretty decent prospect. Is he not developing/needs to more or is there just not room on the team for him to crack the top 12?
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
RETIRED
I think you did a good job.
Burakovsky gets 500k less, Nichushkin 500k more.
Zadorov trade makes sense and is accurate value.
Kamenev signed and is going to KHL.
Nieto doesn’t get resigned, Kaut gets 4RW spot
Trevor31lv liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:43 p.m.
Quoting: Trevor31lv
Good feedback. I got the same said to me about Burakovsky when I posted the deals in a discord server. I think I'm just overvaluing him cause I really like him as a player. What you said about Zadorov should be a given, the division thing just didn't come to mind since the teams aren't big rivals.

As for the other 2, I like the Avs cause they're fun as hell to watch, but I'm not too knowledgeable with those guy's situations. It just felt like Namesnikov was a rental to me even if they've got some extra cap space. Wasn't aware of the Kamenev situation. What's up with that? Thought he was supposed to be a pretty decent prospect. Is he not developing/needs to more or is there just not room on the team for him to crack the top 12?

Kamenev has had some fluke injuries the past couple years which disrupted his development a lot. Now that the Avs are contenders I dont think theres a spot in the starting roster for him to prove himself and get back on track anymore. Hes probably better off going to Russia to get more ice time and could come back to the NHL in a few years
Trevor31lv liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 9:01 p.m.
A few small things.

The Avs will want more term than 2 yrs on Burakovsky.
Kamenev is going to Russia.
Love Nieto but he’s to expensive for his role and he is blocking the Avs prospect at forward particularly Kaut, LOC and Bowers.
I wouldn’t be thrilled about moving Z to a division rival though.

I think the Avs maybe try and leverage the flat cap and that they are a good team into a 1 or 2 yr deal for a bigger name forward at a bit of a discount.

Overall good stuff realistic contracts and trades.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15
A few small things.

The Avs will want more term than 2 yrs on Burakovsky.
Kamenev is going to Russia.
Love Nieto but he’s to expensive for his role and he is blocking the Avs prospect at forward particularly Kaut, LOC and Bowers.
I wouldn’t be thrilled about moving Z to a division rival though.

I think the Avs maybe try and leverage the flat cap and that they are a good team into a 1 or 2 yr deal for a bigger name forward at a bit of a discount.

Overall good stuff realistic contracts and trades.

Haha, basically all the feedback I've gotten has been Kamanev to Russia, Not liking Z to division rival, Nieto costing too much, and slight adjustment to Burakovsky's contract. All that stuff makes sense to me. I might redo this after playoffs with that stuff considered plus some other changes.

I thing I'd really like as a move for them would be signing Hall to a 1 year deal. It'd give them an extra boost for this year while they still have cap flexibility before paying guys, Hall would benefit statistically which would help him get a better deal next offseason, and he could go for a cup. Seems like a 1 year. 8-9 million deal for him would be a perfect fit for both sides imo, but i don't think it's realistic cause stuff like that just doesn't happen.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.
Haha, basically all the feedback I've gotten has been Kamanev to Russia, Not liking Z to division rival, Nieto costing too much, and slight adjustment to Burakovsky's contract. All that stuff makes sense to me. I might redo this after playoffs with that stuff considered plus some other changes.

I thing I'd really like as a move for them would be signing Hall to a 1 year deal. It'd give them an extra boost for this year while they still have cap flexibility before paying guys, Hall would benefit statistically which would help him get a better deal next offseason, and he could go for a cup. Seems like a 1 year. 8-9 million deal for him would be a perfect fit for both sides imo, but i don't think it's realistic cause stuff like that just doesn't happen.

Yeah I agree, I think a guy like Toffoli is on their radar. I also wouldn’t put it past Sakic to sell high on Graves and package him for someone like Domi or Rackell. The nicest part about being an Avs fan now is they literally don’t have to make a move and can expect to get better from internal growth.
Trevor31lv liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15
Yeah I agree, I think a guy like Toffoli is on their radar. I also wouldn’t put it past Sakic to sell high on Graves and package him for someone like Domi or Rackell. The nicest part about being an Avs fan now is they literally don’t have to make a move and can expect to get better from internal growth.

Yeah, they're in an amazing spot. Philly may be the only team in the league the is in their league are far as being set up for the next 5 years. They could just resign most of their RFAs this offseason and be fine. Honestly, they'd have to put in an effort to screw up their situation
Xqb15 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.
Yeah, they're in an amazing spot. Philly may be the only team in the league the is in their league are far as being set up for the next 5 years. They could just resign most of their RFAs this offseason and be fine. Honestly, they'd have to put in an effort to screw up their situation

Yeah, but the Rangers have a ton of talent and getting Lafrienere is huge. The team in the west to keep an eye on is the Kings. They have a ridiculous pipeline and just enough high end guys from their cup years that they could be dangerous too.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll