Forums/Armchair-GM

Based on What Maclellan Said

Created by: krakowitz
Team: 2020-21 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 22, 2020
Published: Aug. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is more on the coaching staff than it has been on the players, and it's been that way all year. It's evident that Reirden couldn't get the best out of this group when it mattered most, and our power play is completely stale and predictable. Bringing in a new voice, preferably Gallant, can help us play with the pace and structure that we have the personnel for. He seems like a guy that could get the most out of Kuznetsov, seeing as he's been the scapegoat for what happened against the Islanders. I'd also like to see us bring Boudreau back as an assistant to Gallant, as he's another guy that's always been able to get the best out of a mediocre group

In terms of roster changes, I'd like to see us bring in Sami Vatanen to be our second pairing RHD. He's great at exiting his own zone, evading the forecheck and skating the puck up the ice, which is where the Islanders were really able to get to us. Him and Orlov could be a fantastic second pairing for us to play in all situations. If we want more of a shutdown option, we should be able to get Tanev for a similar price tag, probably a bit less

I was debating a lot on whether Kempny or Jensen should be the one to go. Based on how they played in the bubble, I settled on Kempny, but it was tough. The spot next to Carlson is going to be something to keep an eye on. Right now I think Siegenthaler starts there, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a deadline acquisition take that spot

I think we need a veteran goalie to 1B with Samsonov next year. Based on what's available in the UFA market, I like Crawford as the best fit, but someone like Halak or Khudobin also works. Vanecek needs a few games next year, so hopefully we can get a split like 45/30/7.

Some sort of change in the forward group seems like a smart idea after how flat everything went in the bubble. The bottom six didn't generate anything for us, and we need some sort of spark. Puljujarvi makes sense for a lot of reasons. He can start the season on the third line with Eller and Hagelin and jump up to the top six if/when Oshie gets taken by Seattle. The potential return for him is kind of a crapshoot to project, so I went with something basic that can benefit both sides. He has a ton of potential and could give us the bottom-six boost that puts us over the top.

I don't think McMichael is quite ready yet. If he can go back to the OHL, dominate at both ends of the ice and lead the World Junior team (where he has a good shot at being captain), he'll be much more prepared and can slide into the top nine next year.

Fehervary is ready for a full-time role. He looked so good in Game 3, I want to see more of him this year. I think the spot next to Carlson will be his at some point, but not quite yet. Alexeyev should also get some games in, he should be ready for a full-time roll the following year.

While we do have some money left over, we can't give out any more multi-year deals. With Ovechkin, Vrana and Samsonov all needing new contracts at the end of the season, the extra ~1.6M we have will be a big help next offseason.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$1,000,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
6$5,133,000
Trades
WSH
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (CGY)
WSH
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
EDM
  1. Johansen, Lucas [RFA Rights]
  2. Pánik, Richard
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (ARI)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,402,878$419,749$732,500$10,097,122
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,133,000$5,133,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 23, 2020 at 9:43 p.m.
I know that we’ve had a good amount of differences on this website but I must say... this was very well thought out and very well done. I would switch sprong to the third line with pool party and Eller. Hagelin to the 4th line. Very good choices for the defense. If you don’t use siegs as the 1LD then sign Gustafsson
krakowitz and CCRO1995 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
I like Kempny, but the Hawks have Keith, Maatta, and de Haan on the left side with Beaudin pushing for a spot. I don’t see any way the Hawks fit him in, that said, I’m sure you could move Kempny for that return pretty easily.

I think Crawford re-signs in Chicago if that’s the price. Based on some of the reports, it sounds like Crawford wants to be the number 1 wherever he plays next year. He would be that in Chicago, and he gets to stay with the team he’s won two cups with. That said, things could change.
krakowitz and CastingCouchGuy liked this.
Aug. 23, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: CastingCouchGuy
I know that we’ve had a good amount of differences on this website but I must say... this was very well thought out and very well done. I would switch sprong to the third line with pool party and Eller. Hagelin to the 4th line. Very good choices for the defense. If you don’t use siegs as the 1LD then sign Gustafsson

I don't think we'd have the money for Gustafsson on a multi-year deal without hurting ourselves next year (we could move Jensen and have a Fehervary-Siegs third pair). He's definitely a good fit tho, but I'd like to see some sort of stopgap before Fehervary takes that spot.
CastingCouchGuy liked this.
Aug. 23, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: thesaadfather
I like Kempny, but the Hawks have Keith, Maatta, and de Haan on the left side with Beaudin pushing for a spot. I don’t see any way the Hawks fit him in, that said, I’m sure you could move Kempny for that return pretty easily.

I think Crawford re-signs in Chicago if that’s the price. Based on some of the reports, it sounds like Crawford wants to be the number 1 wherever he plays next year. He would be that in Chicago, and he gets to stay with the team he’s won two cups with. That said, things could change.

Yeah I didn't put much thought into where he was going, or the return tbh. We mostly just need the money.

I can totally see Crawford resigning. I haven't paid a ton of attention to that situation other than hearing some of the "experts" say that he's probably done. The thought process was that he'd get a chance to win another Cup before retiring within the next couple years.
Aug. 23, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
CbjSabresDucks
I think you want someone more defensive as your 2RHD with Carlsson on the top pair
Aug. 23, 2020 at 10:39 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Gallant BB would be great. You think he would want to come back (BB)? I think he loves ovechkin and would come back immediately if the job was offered to him. We agree on so many things from what I read. I think people are overly tough on Kuzy and are extremely quick to forget how elite he actually is. I’ve seen people say Copp is better than him on this site. I was going to suggest Dillion over Vatanen but after reading you made some amazing points and I’m completely on board. You sold me. I’d rather get rid of hags but he makes our PK really good and idk who would replace him so panik makes the most sense to go. I imagine Oiler fans would want a bigger return for JP but I think this is realistic. Would you want to bring Holtby back at 3 million 1 year deal? I mean obviously he would need to agree to it but he didn’t exactly have the best year maybe he wants to prove he’s still a good goalie signs a show me contract and caps agree to give him 30-35 games ? I’m being overly optimistic but it’s not impossible right?

Also you think hags too defensive to be a 3rd line winger? Idk why I think he prevents offense on both sides of the puck
krakowitz liked this.
Aug. 23, 2020 at 11:09 p.m.
Simpleton
Unrealistic expectations regarding the Puljujarvi trade. Oilers don't need another LHD, the draft pick is not high enough, and Panik is much older and simply not the kind of player Holland has been looking for in a trade for J.P.. There is likely to be a more attractive offer out there, and frankly Edmonton probably prefers to sign him anyway.
Aug. 24, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: uphere
Unrealistic expectations regarding the Puljujarvi trade. Oilers don't need another LHD, the draft pick is not high enough, and Panik is much older and simply not the kind of player Holland has been looking for in a trade for J.P.. There is likely to be a more attractive offer out there, and frankly Edmonton probably prefers to sign him anyway.

That's fair. I wrote in the description that trying to project the return for Puljujarvi is a crapshoot. Whatever the deal looks like, the point that needed to get across was that we were essentially replacing Panik with Puljujarvi.
Aug. 24, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
I think you want someone more defensive as your 2RHD with Carlsson on the top pair

That was my initial thought and Tanev was the guy that came to mind. But the more I think about how our defensemen couldn't handle a heavy forecheck and couldn't be relied on to skate the puck through the NZ, I thought Vatanen would be able to do a lot more for us. Not that Vatanen is a slouch defensively either.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Gallant BB would be great. You think he would want to come back (BB)? I think he loves ovechkin and would come back immediately if the job was offered to him. We agree on so many things from what I read. I think people are overly tough on Kuzy and are extremely quick to forget how elite he actually is. I’ve seen people say Copp is better than him on this site. I was going to suggest Dillion over Vatanen but after reading you made some amazing points and I’m completely on board. You sold me. I’d rather get rid of hags but he makes our PK really good and idk who would replace him so panik makes the most sense to go. I imagine Oiler fans would want a bigger return for JP but I think this is realistic. Would you want to bring Holtby back at 3 million 1 year deal? I mean obviously he would need to agree to it but he didn’t exactly have the best year maybe he wants to prove he’s still a good goalie signs a show me contract and caps agree to give him 30-35 games ? I’m being overly optimistic but it’s not impossible right?

Also you think hags too defensive to be a 3rd line winger? Idk why I think he prevents offense on both sides of the puck

Yeah the Puljujarvi return is a crapshoot to project since there's no real template on what a trade would look like for someone in that whacky situation.

As hard as this is to say, if we're committed to Samsonov long-term, I don't think having Holtby back makes sense, even at the same contract that I gave Crawford. I feel like if we bring him back, it creates a goalie controversy from Day 1 and will last until the end of the season. There will probably still be a bit of controversy with Crawford, but it will be clear that Samsonov is the guy both short and long-term. Crawford also played significantly better than Holtby did in both the regular season and the playoffs.

On his own, I don't think Hags really has the offense for a third line role. But if he's on a line with Eller and Puljujarvi, Hagelin's job is essentially to be the first guy in on the forecheck and break up plays in the defensive zone to get the puck to his linemates. I think the three of them can be a really nice third line for us. But if he's a fourth liner at this stage of his career, the organization seems to love Sprong, so maybe he gets a look? I think 3LW is McMichael's spot the following season anyways
Capitalfail67 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll