Forums/Armchair-GM

Return of the Staal

Created by: doublem24
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 28, 2020
Published: Aug. 28, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't know if this package is enough to get Staal from Carolina, but I see Murray's value as up to 2 - 2nd Round picks. So if Carolina doesn't want Murray, would 2 - 2nd Rounders in his place get the deal done? Maybe Poulin needs to be in there rather than POJ?

This is obviously an all in strategy to make two more runs at the cup until Malkin's contract expires. Also leaves about 5 million for signings the next year with Marino being the top priority.

This is probably just a pipe dream as I never wanted Staal to leave Pitt... roast me.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$725,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Bjugstad, Nick ($1,025,000 retained)
  2. Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
  3. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. 2021 6th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Johnson, Jack ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,976,008$0$982,500$1,523,992
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$725,000$725,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:32 a.m.
Carolina have enough prospect D men to successfully ice a better AHL defence than the Maple Leafs can ice in the NHL. Bjugstad is very meh, Murray isn't exactly a great improvement on what Carolina have (Reimer was a wall this year)
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:33 a.m.
DoubleM24
Edited Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:40 a.m.
What if the prospect was Poulin? He's the top player in Pitts pool.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:34 a.m.
Not saying Murray has a lower upside, but based on last season, I have more confidence in both Peter Mrazek and James Reimer than I have in Murray.

Trading with Carolina is difficult right now. They have one of the deepest teams in the league and a lot of average players would just struggle to actually make the lineup
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:35 a.m.
DoubleM24
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
Not saying Murray has a lower upside, but based on last season, I have more confidence in both Peter Mrazek and James Reimer than I have in Murray.

Trading with Carolina is difficult right now. They have one of the deepest teams in the league and a lot of average players would just struggle to actually make the lineup

I agree on their depth. They also have great chemistry, would seem dumb to break it up. I just want Staal back...
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
DoubleM24
Quoting: Caniac2000
Carolina have enough prospect D men to successfully ice a better AHL defence than the Maple Leafs can ice in the NHL. Bjugstad is very meh, Murray isn't exactly a great improvement on what Carolina have (Reimer was a wall this year)

Also, what's the climate like on Carolina's attachment to Staal? Do you guys see him as an integral piece? I know he's the captain, but I'm curious to know the fans feelings on him.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
You can't have Blueger as the 4C, it needs to be someone with an NMC.
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
Staal, Fleury for Murray, Joseph, Bjugstad ($1M ret)

This is near troll level.

A few hours ago someone posted Staal, Reimer, Fleury for Murray, Bjugstad, Simon and it was a no from Pittsburgh. You removed Reimer, replaced Simon with Joseph (making it considerably worse for the Pens), and added $1M retention on Bjugstad. You took a bad trade for the Pens and made it much much worse. Joseph should not be anywhere near this trade. The retention is on the wrong side.

Rutherford wants to get younger.

Staal will be 32 next month. His offense is less than Bjugstad's (especially when considering time on ice). $6M
Fleury is basically Ruhwedel, only left handed.

Using the players that you put in:
Staal ($2M ret), Fleury for Murray, Bjugstad
Joseph is out, fully. This still isn't that great of a trade for Pittsburgh other than it solidifies the 3C.

Maybe even go with Trocheck instead of Staal.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: doublem24
Also, what's the climate like on Carolina's attachment to Staal? Do you guys see him as an integral piece? I know he's the captain, but I'm curious to know the fans feelings on him.

He's the captain, premier shutdown center, and one of the best chance creators on the team. Carolina aren't gonna move him for cheap, and it would likely need to be more than this to consider it, although he 100% makes the Penguins capable with their top 3 lines. Your best chance isn't to include Bjugstad, because Bjugstad is effectively a cap dump, Carolina would need more value.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
He's the captain, premier shutdown center, and one of the best chance creators on the team. Carolina aren't gonna move him for cheap, and it would likely need to be more than this to consider it, although he 100% makes the Penguins capable with their top 3 lines. Your best chance isn't to include Bjugstad, because Bjugstad is effectively a cap dump, Carolina would need more value.

Bjugstad is both more physical and more offensive (slightly) than Staal. If $4.1Mx1 28yo Bjugstad is a cap dump, what is $6Mx3 32yo Staal?
Aug. 28, 2020 at 10:24 a.m.

It is pretty split as far as how fans feel about Staal. He is indeed a shutdown C who plays all the tough match-ups and is a great penalty killer as well. So some fans view him and his role as irreplaceable. The other side is that he gets a ton of ice time (because of match-ups against the other team's 1st line) but he doesn't produce any points. His offense has completely dried up and the puck seems to die on his stick. Some also question his leadership as a captain.

As far as I am concerned, if there is a way to move him, I am all for it. This package, however, does nothing for me. I'd be happy to trade him straight up for Hornqvist though.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
Bet On It
Sens decline. Retained, he brings zero benefit. The best and only thing he offers is that he can bring back a sweetener as a cap dump. If he's no longer a cap dump, he's just a bad player signed for too long. Why would they intentionally want a bad player on their roster? That's for JR to deal with.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
DoubleM24
Quoting: Claebom
Sens decline. Retained, he brings zero benefit. The best and only thing he offers is that he can bring back a sweetener as a cap dump. If he's no longer a cap dump, he's just a bad player signed for too long. Why would they intentionally want a bad player on their roster? That's for JR to deal with.

Fair point.

My perspective is that there are a few options for what can be done with JJ.

1. Nothing - sadly this seems like what will happen

2. Trade - nobody wants him, because he's terrible. If they trade him, they have to give up an asset and most likely retain salary. Of course the team who gets him isn't going to use him, he's terrible, but trades like this happen a lot. The asset that's given has to create the balance. The value of the asset can decrease with the less salary thats transferred (retention). So, the question is, how high does the asset value need to be? Seems like a 2nd or 3rd round pick is the only option Pitt has.

3. Buyout - highly unlikely, Pitt has never done this and it would be elongating the period of cap penalty. This is the main reason for trading him away with retention, you hold a penalty but its tenure is much shorter.

With all these options understood, I think a trade with retention is the best and only plan for how to handle JJ. Of course the team is he's going to isn't gonna value him, he's terrible, but if they have the ability to do it and gain an asset it's not completely pointless.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:32 a.m.
DoubleM24
Quoting: Yojimbo
Staal, Fleury for Murray, Joseph, Bjugstad ($1M ret)

This is near troll level.

A few hours ago someone posted Staal, Reimer, Fleury for Murray, Bjugstad, Simon and it was a no from Pittsburgh. You removed Reimer, replaced Simon with Joseph (making it considerably worse for the Pens), and added $1M retention on Bjugstad. You took a bad trade for the Pens and made it much much worse. Joseph should not be anywhere near this trade. The retention is on the wrong side.

Rutherford wants to get younger.

Staal will be 32 next month. His offense is less than Bjugstad's (especially when considering time on ice). $6M
Fleury is basically Ruhwedel, only left handed.

Using the players that you put in:
Staal ($2M ret), Fleury for Murray, Bjugstad
Joseph is out, fully. This still isn't that great of a trade for Pittsburgh other than it solidifies the 3C.

Maybe even go with Trocheck instead of Staal.

This trade isn't that far off and yes, it was in reaction to the previous post about bringing Staal back.

I don't think suggesting it and asking questions for how it could work is trolling, but... ok.

Bringing in Staal at the end of his career isn't that far off base. I think he would shine in a 3rd line roll despite being pretty expensive. The best parts of Staal's game are defensive and he's masterful on the faceoff. Isn't that exactly what Pitt needs? A center who can establish possession, kills penalties and matches up against top lines so Crosby and Malkin can exploit mismatches?

The salary retention is for 1M and it's for one year, pretty straight forward. Pitt will have to move salary to bring him in and I don't think they have long term plans for Bjugstad. I agree that Staal's value is declining but 2M retained on their side is 6M total, so that seems very unrealistic to me.

Also, I'm all for removing the prospect, that'd be great for Pitt, but it seems like Carolina fans are saying Staal is worth more than you're giving him credit for and I agree.

Do you think this is realistic?

Staal for Murray and Bjugstad.

If not, do you think Carolina needs to retain salary? Send a pick back? I'd be interested to hear what Carolina fans think of that too.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
Bjugstad is both more physical and more offensive (slightly) than Staal. If $4.1Mx1 28yo Bjugstad is a cap dump, what is $6Mx3 32yo Staal?

Bjugstad is not more physical than the best defensive center in the Metro not named Sean Couturier (this is probably an exaggeration, but he's still DAMN good) and although Staal doesn't bring as much production, his game leads to a lot of chances. Someone like Kapanen on his wing would go absolutely nuts.
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
DoubleM24
Bjugstad is not more physical than the best defensive center in the Metro not named Sean Couturier (this is probably an exaggeration, but he's still DAMN good) and although Staal doesn't bring as much production, his game leads to a lot of chances. Someone like Kapanen on his wing would go absolutely nuts.

I completely agree, in fact, I don't think Bjugstadt is physical at all. You can't look at his height and weight and assume he plays a physical game. He's almost invisible at times. Granted I've only watch him in Pittsburgh but my main takeaways were, "I wish Bjugstad used his size to his advantage more".
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
I completely agree, in fact, I don't think Bjugstadt is physical at all. You can't look at his height and weight and assume he plays a physical game. He's almost invisible at times. Granted I've only watch him in Pittsburgh but my main takeaways were, "I wish Bjugstad used his size to his advantage more".

Staal uses his body, and is just better in almost all aspects (they have equally stone chiselled hands) You're paying 2 mil more for a few more years, but it's worth it
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:56 a.m.
DoubleM24
Staal uses his body, and is just better in almost all aspects (they have equally stone chiselled hands) You're paying 2 mil more for a few more years, but it's worth it

Agreed, I think he's a massive improvement and would be one of the best 3C's in the league if Pitt got him back.

Lastly, in response to another comment, I know JR has said Pitt is trying to get younger and Staal doesn't fit that idea, but the main goal is to win a cup and it looks like the next two years is the last chances to do that with this core. I think Staal increases their chances to do so.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:05 p.m.
Agreed, I think he's a massive improvement and would be one of the best 3C's in the league if Pitt got him back.

Lastly, in response to another comment, I know JR has said Pitt is trying to get younger and Staal doesn't fit that idea, but the main goal is to win a cup and it looks like the next two years is the last chances to do that with this core. I think Staal increases their chances to do so.

Staal is already probably the best 3C in hockey. He is Carolina's 3C.
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:46 p.m.
DoubleM24
Staal is already probably the best 3C in hockey. He is Carolina's 3C.

So what would it take to move him in this trade?
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
So what would it take to move him in this trade?

The cap relief with pending Svechnikov and Hamilton extensions provides enough motive, so you just need to get the value right. I don't know what that would be because Staal's value is SO difficult to judge
doublem24 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
DoubleM24
The cap relief with pending Svechnikov and Hamilton extensions provides enough motive, so you just need to get the value right. I don't know what that would be because Staal's value is SO difficult to judge

I know Murray isn't the absolute best option available but do you think that a package with him and Bjugstad makes sense?

Would give the Canes a capable player to put in the line up, another option in goal and the cap relief for the following to seasons with Staal off the books.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
I know Murray isn't the absolute best option available but do you think that a package with him and Bjugstad makes sense?

Would give the Canes a capable player to put in the line up, another option in goal and the cap relief for the following to seasons with Staal off the books.

Issue with Murray is he'll make more than what Carolina's goalies do, and he's a lateral move. Carolina's strength against Boston was in the crease. Mrazek ahd Reimer were just better than Tuukka and Halak
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
Do you think this is realistic?

Staal for Murray and Bjugstad.

No. Staal at @6Mx3 ROCKETS past Johnson as the worst contract on the team... and you are paying a 3rd, with $1.25M retained to dump Johnson.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.

Well you are just showing that you don't watch much hockey at all, including Penguin hockey. Or are you confusing when he was in IR for being invisable?
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
DoubleM24
Well you are just showing that you don't watch much hockey at all, including Penguin hockey. Or are you confusing when he was in IR for being invisable?

Lol, chill man, just my opinion. You got a real tude on ya.

Also, if Bjugstad is constantly hurt and you attest that he plays physical.... should he really be playing physical? Dude is frail.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll