ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$77,159,642$0$3,737,500$4,340,358
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$821,666$821,666 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,510,000$5,510,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.
What in tarnation
While ARI really needs picks after their penalty, that offer is quite poor for their best D-man.

BUF might consider taking that, but without retention.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:22 a.m.
BUF trade is easy no, they need talent on ELC’s not mercurial players who aren’t as good as they think.

AZ trade is interesting but they aren’t going to trade OEL AND retain money.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
How would you explain those trades?

I think Mete and Poehling have little value. So I think the offer you made might get you Dvorak alone, but not both.

The Buffalo one is interesting, but if they can draft at 8, they have the possibility to have a guy around for 3 years at a minimal contract who can produce like a 5m player, so I'd rather keep Okposo, but the offer is kind of fair. I just would not make that deal if I were buffalo
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:25 a.m.
Swap Mete for Brook or Romanov and you might get their attention.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
I like the OEL deal, but Okposo deal doesn't make sense to either team. Buffalo has a ton of cap space and doesn't have an obvious replacement for him yet. And why would the Habs want to park Okposo in a 4th-line situation for FOUR YEARS just to watch him get older and slower? The 8th pick would be nice and possibly worth trading Domi for that, but not if it means taking back $16M in contract baggage.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
OEL has retired in Arizona, Highly doubt he is waiving his NMC for virtually any team.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:31 a.m.
xNogaitx
Quoting: justaBoss
While ARI really needs picks after their penalty, that offer is quite poor for their best D-man.

BUF might consider taking that, but without retention.

Define poor. A young Dman that's top 10 in the D under 22 years old is poor? He might not be putting up huge numbers yet, but a lot of so called prospects that people would value higher than Mete have yet to prove their ability to play in the league.
Poehling has had a bad year, but is still a recent WCJ MVP and has 2C potential. Lots of analysts see his floor as a reliable two-way 3C.

Both fit with the age group of the new core. On top of that 16OA + 55/56OA are key for a team trying to get picks and get younger.

Quoting: Xqb15a
BUF trade is easy no, they need talent on ELC’s not mercurial players who aren’t as good as they think.

AZ trade is interesting but they aren’t going to trade OEL AND retain money.

It's been reported they don't to pick at 8th once again for the 10th year. 8th is on the table for an offensive 2C, which is what Domi is.

Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
How would you explain those trades?

I think Mete and Poehling have little value. So I think the offer you made might get you Dvorak alone, but not both.

The Buffalo one is interesting, but if they can draft at 8, they have the possibility to have a guy around for 3 years at a minimal contract who can produce like a 5m player, so I'd rather keep Okposo, but the offer is kind of fair. I just would not make that deal if I were buffalo

Let's agree to disagree on Mete & Poehling's values.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:31 a.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999

Mete gets no love. The kid just turned 22 and already has 171 NHL games under his belt. He's also one of the best skaters on the Habs (likely among the better in the league). Romanov? No. Brook? He's likely available now that Harris, Norlinder and Struble have emerged as viable prospects. But assuming AZ is trying to build around Hall over the coming 4-6 years, Mete would be the better option.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
xNogaitx
Quoting: HabsRafiki
I like the OEL deal, but Okposo deal doesn't make sense to either team. Buffalo has a ton of cap space and doesn't have an obvious replacement for him yet. And why would the Habs want to park Okposo in a 4th-line situation for FOUR YEARS just to watch him get older and slower? The 8th pick would be nice and possibly worth trading Domi for that, but not if it means taking back $16M in contract baggage.

It's actually 3 years. This is basically to get more size at RW which has been noted as an issue on top of giving value back to Buffalo for obtaining those picks.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

Those are two very different players you’re proposing to switch. Romanov is extremely valuable to the habs, while Brook isn’t worth as much as Mete.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: xNogaitx
Define poor. A young Dman that's top 10 in the D under 22 years old is poor? He might not be putting up huge numbers yet, but a lot of so called prospects that people would value higher than Mete have yet to prove their ability to play in the league.
Poehling has had a bad year, but is still a recent WCJ MVP and has 2C potential. Lots of analysts see his floor as a reliable two-way 3C.

Both fit with the age group of the new core. On top of that 16OA + 55/56OA are key for a team trying to get picks and get younger.

It's been reported they don't to pick at 8th once again for the 10th year. 8th is on the table for an offensive 2C, which is what Domi is.

I know, right? Mete turned 22 in June and has 171 NHL games already. From the 2016 draft, only 13 players have already played more games in the NHL, and only 4 of them are D -- Jakob Chychrun (234), Mikhail Sergachev (228, sigh), Samuel Girard (225) and Charlie McAvoy (184). No respect.

As for Poehling, he doesn't immediately light it up in his first 20 games in Montreal (imagine that, a rookie struggling for ice time on a Claude Julien team) and gets sent to "Bouchard U" in Laval, and he's immediately written off as the next coming of Mike McCarron. Poehling is a smart player with all the necessary tools to have a long NHL career. If the Habs didn't have Evans (also a graduate of the Bouchard School) just ahead of him, I don't think Habs would be considering a trade.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:42 a.m.
It's actually 3 years. This is basically to get more size at RW which has been noted as an issue on top of giving value back to Buffalo for obtaining those picks.

Domi's not value?
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:48 a.m.
Mete gets no love. The kid just turned 22 and already has 171 NHL games under his belt. He's also one of the best skaters on the Habs (likely among the better in the league). Romanov? No. Brook? He's likely available now that Harris, Norlinder and Struble have emerged as viable prospects. But assuming AZ is trying to build around Hall over the coming 4-6 years, Mete would be the better option.

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Those are two very different players you’re proposing to switch. Romanov is extremely valuable to the habs, while Brook isn’t worth as much as Mete.

Mete ws brought up early by necessity as opposed to merit. His value is minimal. Lot of holes in his game. Zona needs RD in the system which is why i said Brook. Value wise they’d rather have Romanov obviously. But Habs will be reluctant to part with him.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
What in tarnation

Mete's absolute ceiling is a TOP4 D. He's only got his chance in the NHL due to MTL being so poor in terms of LHDs, but I wouldn't call him a TOP10 D in 22yo or under.

Poehling will be a 3C, tops.

The picks are nice, but not with the cost of OEL. It's an easy no for a great D-man with retained salary.

That trade would work if you replaced Poehling with Kotkaniemi. Give them something of actual top line potential.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
xNogaitx
Domi's not value?

Domi for 8OA would be a stretch. The value is there, but the team might not be willing to pull the trigger.

Then that 2nd rounder in 2022 would be highly valuable to a competing Habs team not wanting to dispose of all of their picks while going on a run.

Those two things are why taking on Okposo (hoping he turns it around in Mtl) for 3 years at $4M is the price to pay to "entice" Buffalo to make the move.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:10 p.m.
Mete ws brought up early by necessity as opposed to merit. His value is minimal. Lot of holes in his game. Zona needs RD in the system which is why i said Brook. Value wise they’d rather have Romanov obviously. But Habs will be reluctant to part with him.

You're not wrong that Mete was bought up too soon, but you are about his value. He will have a long and useful NHL career. Away from Montreal, he might even be encouraged to use some of his offensive gifts, but playing under coaches who were defensive pylons in their day (Bergevin, Julien, Richardson), there is little premium placed on initiative. (I fear for Romanov for that reason).

Brook is now way down the Habs list of D prospects, so he's all yours. Romanov, Juulsen and Fleury are ready to plug in, assuming they're healthy, of course. Then Struble, Harris, Norlinder and Fairbrother are next in line. Brook is still a solid prospect, but the Habs won't wait for him to develop and would move him for the right player in return.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
Domi for 8OA would be a stretch. The value is there, but the team might not be willing to pull the trigger.

Then that 2nd rounder in 2022 would be highly valuable to a competing Habs team not wanting to dispose of all of their picks while going on a run.

Those two things are why taking on Okposo (hoping he turns it around in Mtl) for 3 years at $4M is the price to pay to "entice" Buffalo to make the move.

Yeah, I wouldn't have held out for the 2nd rounder. Domi for the #8 would be a stretch, but would put Buffalo ahead of Montreal for a couple of years on the playoff bubble.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Mete's absolute ceiling is a TOP4 D. He's only got his chance in the NHL due to MTL being so poor in terms of LHDs, but I wouldn't call him a TOP10 D in 22yo or under.

Poehling will be a 3C, tops.

The picks are nice, but not with the cost of OEL. It's an easy no for a great D-man with retained salary.

That trade would work if you replaced Poehling with Kotkaniemi. Give them something of actual top line potential.

You're right that Mete is a 3-6 Dman with some offensive upside under the right coach, which he doesn't have in Montreal's risk-averse cauldron. Poehling is a "middle-6" forward, likely a second-line LW and/or 3C. He's versatile and by every scouting report is considered a smart, big-minutes two-way forward.

Picks are picks. Given that AZ has only one player from the last three years of drafts to have played in the NHL (Hayton), it's hard to judge whether they'd make good use of any picks. With only Soderstrom (16), Jenik (36), Prosvetov (89) and Maccelli (91) as THN top-100 prospects, if I were AZ, I'd think twice about taking picks as I don't have a lot of faith in the scouts.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.

This is the biggest fallacy. Domi isn’t a C. He had one year, a career year with career high shooting percentage. If Domi were an actual top six offensive C MTL wouldn’t have acquired so many C options and OS’d Aho. Imo he’s a solid player but vastly overrated by most MTL fans. Then take into account BUF has Cozens and the fact Domi needs a new contract. Yeah easy pass when some cheaper options are available like one of the Stromes.
sabres89 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
What in tarnation
You're right that Mete is a 3-6 Dman with some offensive upside under the right coach, which he doesn't have in Montreal's risk-averse cauldron. Poehling is a "middle-6" forward, likely a second-line LW and/or 3C. He's versatile and by every scouting report is considered a smart, big-minutes two-way forward.

Picks are picks. Given that AZ has only one player from the last three years of drafts to have played in the NHL (Hayton), it's hard to judge whether they'd make good use of any picks. With only Soderstrom (16), Jenik (36), Prosvetov (89) and Maccelli (91) as THN top-100 prospects, if I were AZ, I'd think twice about taking picks as I don't have a lot of faith in the scouts.

Well since they lost their next year's first and this year's second, I do think they should try to replace these assets. But not in exchange to their key assets.

Chayka probably left mostly because his and his scouting staff's drafting had been pretty miserable as of late.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
This is the biggest fallacy. Domi isn’t a C. He had one year, a career year with career high shooting percentage. If Domi were an actual top six offensive C MTL wouldn’t have acquired so many C options and OS’d Aho. Imo he’s a solid player but vastly overrated by most MTL fans. Then take into account BUF has Cozens and the fact Domi needs a new contract. Yeah easy pass when some cheaper options are available like one of the Stromes.

Ive seen domi described the way i would describe tyler ennis when he was with buffalo- an offensive center with defensive holes in his game, that doesnt produce huge offensive numbers, and prefers to carry the puck into the zone through the middle, while not utilizing his wingers. Thats not a guy i move 8oa for.
Xqb15a liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:22 p.m.

Buffalo doesnt have a ton of cap space in reality. By the time they sign reinhart, montour, kahun, olofsson, and several other rfas, its not as awesome as youd think. Then dahlin and jokiharju are due for real money next offseason. I think i would rather keep okposo on the 4th line like he played this year. He is overpaid obviously, but he at least did a job on the 4th line. I cant see paying a premium to move him, or diminshing value in a trade to move him.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

I’m just saying that you’re overvaluing Brook. He might be as good as Mete is eventually, but I don’t have much faith in him becoming an NHLer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll