SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

what would you do with the 15th pick

Aug. 28, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: Dan10900
Wallinder is like a Broberg to me (but better), just a physical freak, and a super smooth skater, but he's a massive risk of just not becoming an NHLer, Jurmo is similar, but not quite as high a ceiling imo

I like the team Wallinder is playing for much better tears of joy , but I think Wallinder will be a better defensive defender at the NHL level than Grans. Good feet, good mobility.

I think he will have less offensive skills and will take quite a while to fill out his body. But I would not mind him either for Toronto.
Dan10900 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
I like the team Wallinder is playing for much better tears of joy , but I think Wallinder will be a better defensive defender at the NHL level than Grans. Good feet, good mobility.

I think he will have less offensive skills and will take quite a while to fill out his body. But I would not mind him either for Toronto.

Grans was so weird for me to evaluate, he's definitely more of a DFD, but he was already really good on the PP in juniors, and idk how much stock you want to put into a 17 year old playing in the SHL (who's only supposed to be a mid-late first at the earliest anyway)
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:18 p.m.
Grans was so weird for me to evaluate, he's definitely more of a DFD, but he was already really good on the PP in juniors, and idk how much stock you want to put into a 17 year old playing in the SHL (who's only supposed to be a mid-late first at the earliest anyway)

I don't know. Don't be shocked if Grans goes between 13 and 20.

I think everybody who plays in the SHL at that age is playing against much better competiton than players playing in the OHL, WHL or QMJHL
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
I don't know. Don't be shocked if Grans goes between 13 and 20.

I think everybody who plays in the SHL at that age is playing against much better competiton than players playing in the OHL, WHL or QMJHL

Obv, yeah, that's what i was saying, that league is a lot better than most other leagues DY specs are playing in it's tough to evaluate him in there
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Obv, yeah, that's what i was saying, that league is a lot better than most other leagues DY specs are playing in it's tough to evaluate him in there

But the Allsvenskan is actually not a bad league either. I think the top teams are pretty good down there as well
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:35 p.m.
But the Allsvenskan is actually not a bad league either. I think the top teams are pretty good down there as well

Yeah, with the relegation system there's always a few SHL caliber teams down there, but there aren't a ton of specs coming out of there
Aug. 28, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
Yeah, with the relegation system there's always a few SHL caliber teams down there, but there aren't a ton of specs coming out of there

Yes, but it is worth watching, as quite a lot of talented players played there. From Pettersson, Pasernak, Kopitar, Nylander, etc.

Would be nice if Modo earns a promotion
Dan10900 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 6:38 p.m.
Edited Aug. 28, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
I wouldn't pick Grans personally, certainly not at 15. Way too risky, and away from priorities the Leafs should focus on: sound, positional & gifted defenders in their zone. I'd be shocked if that happened.

We had this discussion before on CF, but the reality is that the Leafs will probably have to pick a forward at 15. There could be a steal available at that rank.

Gulhe is the only D who could be available at no 15, and that I would like the Leafs to take. He's left handed. And I expect him, Drysdale and Sanderson to all go very high. As was the case in previous drafts, good defensemen always go out higher than what people project.

Schneider would be nice as a second round pick, as others pointed out not at 15.

A fun question is: what if Askarov is there, do you take him?
Aug. 28, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
if i keep the pick, hope Lundell falls to 15, if he doesnt then Quinn.
if there is a top 5ish guy who is plumeting like Barzal (see Rossi in some mocks) i try to trade up for them, and since it's a deep draft and more than a few GM's will be eyeing up trade down for asset deals that should be not too hard
if there is no falling player, and i want to trade back, i aim for the 20th or so pick and try to get Jarvis or Ghule and another 2nd or something

I like your ordering. If Rossi fell in the draft that would be a fantastic opportunity - it's not totally unthinkable, e.g. because of size, and there's usually one like this. I can totally see him being the Barzal kind of steal from this draft.
Aug. 28, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: leaflet
I like your ordering. If Rossi fell in the draft that would be a fantastic opportunity - it's not totally unthinkable, e.g. because of size, and there's usually one like this. I can totally see him being the Barzal kind of steal from this draft.

Rossi is for sure the pipe dream, but im pretty confident he's gone in the top 6. He is very good and there are some smart drafting teams in there. But all it takes is one of them to pass or reach and then the rest of the GM's to be lasered in on a guy they liked there already for it to happen. Though it would 100% need to be a trade up. No way Carolina passes on him
Aug. 29, 2020 at 2:04 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Draft Braden Schneider easy

Guy plays a tonne of minutes, is physical, plays a very good defensive game, and could push for an NHL job this season. Plus 925k for 4 years that's perfect for a cap strapped team like us
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 4:56 a.m.
I wouldn't pick Grans personally, certainly not at 15. Way too risky, and away from priorities the Leafs should focus on: sound, positional & gifted defenders in their zone. I'd be shocked if that happened.

We had this discussion before on CF, but the reality is that the Leafs will probably have to pick a forward at 15. There could be a steal available at that rank.

Gulhe is the only D who could be available at no 15, and that I would like the Leafs to take. He's left handed. And I expect him, Drysdale and Sanderson to all go very high. As was the case in previous drafts, good defensemen always go out higher than what people project.

Schneider would be nice as a second round pick, as others pointed out not at 15.

Quoting: aadoyle

Guy plays a tonne of minutes, is physical, plays a very good defensive game, and could push for an NHL job this season. Plus 925k for 4 years that's perfect for a cap strapped team like us

I agree with the what was said above more or less. If you look for a D, there is no one around at 15 that is really worth taking, which is why my priority would be to move down.

Or you go for something you don't need and draft Noel Gunler for example (who is a top 10 talent, but inconsitent at times)

Schneider and Robertson are more or less the same age (9 days difference)

Schneider is a mature big young man, playing against kids more or less. Still, he lacks the skill, skating and mobilitiy to be anything more than a 3rd pair D in the long run. As a second round pick, yes, as a first round pick. no thanks

not sure about Askarov. probably not. Maybe I am a bit bias because he just did not show anything special on international level, the only games that I have seen him. And I like Jesper Wallstedt next year just as much
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
Rossi is for sure the pipe dream, but im pretty confident he's gone in the top 6. He is very good and there are some smart drafting teams in there. But all it takes is one of them to pass or reach and then the rest of the GM's to be lasered in on a guy they liked there already for it to happen. Though it would 100% need to be a trade up. No way Carolina passes on him

That's the issue with say a Lundell falling. Carolina is going to take BPA, so you'd have to trade up. Though I'd be fine with dealing a future 2nd to get him.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my thoughts here.
I have a thread with interesting players (not necessarily BPA) for the Leafs, and in it is @SammyT_51 's picks too. I'll link that here.

In terms of what the Leafs should do with the 15th overall pick I have a very short list.

Askarov
Lundell
Jarvis

If none are available, Do this:
Quoting: kous
Draft a D unless its part of a huge upgrade on D with term

By doing that:
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
trade down

I imagine that at least Jarvis will be there at 15, Lundell has a chance and Askarov is a long shot.

Outside of those 3, I don't see any super duper top end talent that I don't think we could trade back a few spots for and still pick up.

While I think I'd like Schneider on the Leafs, I don't even believe he is the 3rd best Dman in the draft and that the Leafs can do better later in the first or even second round (Topi Niemela and Emil Andae are my babies, although if Grans, Wallinder, or Barron is your thing you can also get them later in the draft). I also get a weird feeling with Schneider and I think it was put best here:
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
Schneider just seems to be Luke Schenn 2.0

Plus there is the issue of timelines for him. The reason you never draft for need is because (Like @JaredOfLondon said) outside of the top 2 you aren't getting a player who will impact your team for at least 2 years, and that is a best case scenario (See Sandin). If the Leafs still have such a pressing need for a 2nd pair Dman with a little physicality in two years that drafting Schneider is a good idea over someone else/trading back than there is a much larger issue at hand and we need a change of management.
Gordon_Bombay and Trickster liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
I have a thread with interesting players (not necessarily BPA) for the Leafs, and in it is @SammyT_51 's picks too. I'll link that here.

In terms of what the Leafs should do with the 15th overall pick I have a very short list.

Askarov
Lundell
Jarvis

By doing that:

I imagine that at least Jarvis will be there at 15, Lundell has a chance and Askarov is a long shot.

Outside of those 3, I don't see any super duper top end talent that I don't think we could trade back a few spots for and still pick up.

While I think I'd like Schneider on the Leafs, I don't even believe he is the 3rd best Dman in the draft and that the Leafs can do better later in the first or even second round (Topi Niemela and Emil Andae are my babies, although if Grans, Wallinder, or Barron is your thing you can also get them later in the draft). I also get a weird feeling with Schneider and I think it was put best here:

Plus there is the issue of timelines for him. The reason you never draft for need is because (Like @JaredOfLondon said) outside of the top 2 you aren't getting a player who will impact your team for at least 2 years, and that is a best case scenario (See Sandin). If the Leafs still have such a pressing need for a 2nd pair Dman with a little physicality in two years that drafting Schneider is a good idea over someone else/trading back than there is a much larger issue at hand and we need a change of management.

Schneider is tied on 3rd with Barron. Barron has potential but his season reminds me of what happened with Liligren which is concerning. However should he become the Barron of the season before I would be willing to take the chance. Schneider on the other hand seems like the perfect fit. Even if his offensive game never gets better if he continues his strong defense he would be the perfect partner for Rielly.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Schneider is tied on 3rd with Barron. Barron has potential but his season reminds me of what happened with Liligren which is concerning. However should he become the Barron of the season before I would be willing to take the chance. Schneider on the other hand seems like the perfect fit. Even if his offensive game never gets better if he continues his strong defense he would be the perfect partner for Rielly.

Okay, but he'd be 'the perfect fit' in 5 years time. We need help now. Drafting Schneider would be akin to Dubas and Shanahan waiving a white flag.
Sep. 14, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152

Askarov
Lundell
Jarvis

By doing that:

I think there should be no chance Lundell should be around at 15. He should not fall lower than 9th.

I agree with your evaluation, but I would put Gunler in the conversation as well. He is a good good player.

My preference would be to trade down to draft more talent. I am not very high on Schneider, as I see some red flags for a top 15 pick
Sep. 22, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
torontos finest
The Athletic did a mock draft and Joshua Kloke picked Mavrik Bourque for Toronto's selection.

Small guy, but a playmaker and fairly smart. Not a fantastic skater though.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
The Athletic did a mock draft and Joshua Kloke picked Mavrik Bourque for Toronto's selection.

Small guy, but a playmaker and fairly smart. Not a fantastic skater though.

too high of a pick
Trickster liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:34 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
I feel if any one of the obvious guys fall, picking them us no brainers.

Schneider I like but people are not wrong that heccould be Schenn 2.0.

My first choice is Askarov if hw is there but I get the sense he will be taken a pick or so before us.

Doubtful that Rossi drops to 15 but he would be dream /drool

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll