SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Peter Chiarelli expected to be a finalist for the Panthers GM job

Aug. 29, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: Larry Brooks
Slap Shots has been told that Peter Chiarelli, who has been promoted by the NHL for essentially every executive opening that arises, is expected to be among the finalists. Scott Mellanby is another remaining in the mix for a second interview. Kevin Weekes, who began his NHL career in Florida in 1997-98, is also considered a legitimate candidate for the job following the initial round of interviews.

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/08/29/slap-shots-rangers-chris-drury-bows-out-of-panthers-gm-search/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons
Aug. 29, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
For the sake of the franchise, I hope they don’t hire him. He managed to ruin an Oilers team that had McJesus
If you can get Chayka, that would be my best option. He would have done way better with a team that wasn’t a hot mess
Aug. 29, 2020 at 4:47 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: HabsFan9
For the sake of the franchise, I hope they don’t hire him. He managed to ruin an Oilers team that had McJesus
If you can get Chayka, that would be my best option. He would have done way better with a team that wasn’t a hot mess

Calling Florida "not a hot mess" seems pretty generous. An albatross goalie contract, no centre depth at all, and Mike Matheson signed till the end of time
Brian2016 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 4:53 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: Caufzi
Calling Florida "not a hot mess" seems pretty generous. An albatross goalie contract, no centre depth at all, and Mike Matheson signed till the end of time

Chayka would be the type of guy to pull off a deal getting them a center or two, and ditching maybe both of Montembeault and Driedger to make room for Knight. I don’ think the Matheson and Bob contracts are that bad tbh
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Chayka would be the type of guy to pull off a deal getting them a center or two, and ditching maybe both of Montembeault and Driedger to make room for Knight. I don’ think the Matheson and Bob contracts are that bad tbh

Chayka couldn't get the Coyotes any centers except Derek Stepan...
Aug. 29, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: krakowitz
Chayka couldn't get the Coyotes any centers except Derek Stepan...

....because they yotes were starved for quality assets. You may continue
Aug. 30, 2020 at 1:00 a.m.
Chayka left Arizona much worse off than when he arrived. The Hall trade looked solid at the time, but obviously failed. The Kessel trade has failed, but only cost them cap space. The Schmaltz trade is probably too early to judge, but it looks pretty solid. The Domi trade was terrible. The Kuemper trade was a grand slam home run. The draft pick scandal will hurt his chances of being hired, imo.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 1:11 a.m.
Why sign Bob after drafting Spencer Knight? Just outrageously terrible management. But things aren't that bad in Florida. They still have 2 star players on incredible value contracts and a young, number one D in Ekblad. But, their prospect pool looks weak and they have little depth. In my opinion, they should look to re-sign Dadonov and let Hoffman walk as a UFA.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.

I agree. You gotta give Bob a chance to bounce back next season, but his numbers will probably continue to look bad with their defense. With Barkov still young and Knight coming up they should be able to contend for the playoffs while rebuilding.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 6:55 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
....because they yotes were starved for quality assets. You may continue

He traded 7th overall for Stepan. 7th overall is a quality asset. He also had 23 in that draft. His other big moves were to acquire wingers and used some pretty nice assets in the process (Domi, draft picks, etc.). He reached on Barrett Hayton at 5 because of how badly they needed a center, and then they had a chance to draft one of Newhook or Krebs last year at 14 and moved up to 11 for Soderstrom, surrendering another quality asset in the process.

Chayka has had plenty of assets to get a center, but has failed to get the legitimate 1C that they need. Arizona's best center this year was Dvorak, and he was drafted before Chayka took over. Fall back buddy
Aug. 30, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
He traded 7th overall for Stepan. 7th overall is a quality asset. He also had 23 in that draft. His other big moves were to acquire wingers and used some pretty nice assets in the process (Domi, draft picks, etc.). He reached on Barrett Hayton at 5 because of how badly they needed a center, and then they had a chance to draft one of Newhook or Krebs last year at 14 and moved up to 11 for Soderstrom, surrendering another quality asset in the process.

Chayka has had plenty of assets to get a center, but has failed to get the legitimate 1C that they need. Arizona's best center this year was Dvorak, and he was drafted before Chayka took over. Fall back buddy

ngl you make some very good points(all though 7th overall turned into Lias Andersson)
Aug. 31, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
if peter chiarelli becomes gm, you might as well put money on him trading away one of barkov, ekblad, huberdeau.
Aug. 31, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
torontos finest
The fact that the NHL has been trying to get Chairelli employed again is hilarious and concerning.
Aug. 31, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.

Cant only quote the bad moves though... moved an early 2nd rounder for tony deangelo. moved pick 20 (cholowski), joe vitale, and a 2016 2nd (hronek) for jakob chychrun (slight overpay but looks like a solid move right now. chychrun is really good and on a great deal, also drafted clayton keller that draft. Got alex goligoski for a 5th round pick, got crouse for a 3rd and a conditional 2018 pick. got a 3rd back for michael stone so he turned stone into crouse basically... got a 2017 1st (pierre oliver Joseph) a 2018 2nd (kevin bahl) and a conditional 2019 4th pick for martin hanzal, ryan white and a 2017 4th. hjalmarsson for murphy and dauphin, hinostroza oesterle and a 2019 3rd... soderberg was a great acquisition for them, solid 3c.

Domi wasnt really living up to expectations in arizona, neither was duclair. gally and domi had similar ceilings. domis floor was higher. the hall trade might blow up in their face but keumper going down was the reason they werent really in it from jan-feb. Ive def seen way worse jobs done drafting and putting rosters together.... lets not forget chiarelli drafted zack hamill and jordan caron in back to back years in the 1st round. huge huge whiffs in what were loaded drafts...
Aug. 31, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: hanson493
Cant only quote the bad moves though... moved an early 2nd rounder for tony deangelo. moved pick 20 (cholowski), joe vitale, and a 2016 2nd (hronek) for jakob chychrun (slight overpay but looks like a solid move right now. chychrun is really good and on a great deal, also drafted clayton keller that draft. Got alex goligoski for a 5th round pick, got crouse for a 3rd and a conditional 2018 pick. got a 3rd back for michael stone so he turned stone into crouse basically... got a 2017 1st (pierre oliver Joseph) a 2018 2nd (kevin bahl) and a conditional 2019 4th pick for martin hanzal, ryan white and a 2017 4th. hjalmarsson for murphy and dauphin, hinostroza oesterle and a 2019 3rd... soderberg was a great acquisition for them, solid 3c.

Domi wasnt really living up to expectations in arizona, neither was duclair. gally and domi had similar ceilings. domis floor was higher. the hall trade might blow up in their face but keumper going down was the reason they werent really in it from jan-feb. Ive def seen way worse jobs done drafting and putting rosters together.... lets not forget chiarelli drafted zack hamill and jordan caron in back to back years in the 1st round. huge huge whiffs in what were loaded drafts...

I never said he didn't make any good moves, because he certainly did. The discussion was about whether or not he could make the moves to get Florida a center or two, when he failed to get the Coyotes the centers that they need. I liked a lot of the moves he made during his tenure here, but his 1st round in both 2018 and 2019 made a lot of people lose faith, especially when he openly said that Soderstrom was 3rd on their board. It really just seemed like he tried to "galaxy-brain" the Coyotes into a contender, but I don't see much of a path to Stanley Cup contention the way the roster is shaping up at the moment.
Aug. 31, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
I never said he didn't make any good moves, because he certainly did. The discussion was about whether or not he could make the moves to get Florida a center or two, when he failed to get the Coyotes the centers that they need. I liked a lot of the moves he made during his tenure here, but his 1st round in both 2018 and 2019 made a lot of people lose faith, especially when he openly said that Soderstrom was 3rd on their board. It really just seemed like he tried to "galaxy-brain" the Coyotes into a contender, but I don't see much of a path to Stanley Cup contention the way the roster is shaping up at the moment.

i think they just fell short on the whole talent aspect. and the sanctions they got hit with they are essentially boned for the draft the next 2 years. gunna be bad for a few years. if they cant make some real moves.
Aug. 31, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Poor Panthers. This team just can’t catch a break.
hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll