SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(STL/MTL) - Allen and 2022 7th RD pick for 2020 3rd RD pick and 2020 7th RD pick

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
very good trade on both sides if u ask me ... blues get caps space still need to get rid of either steen or bozak to be able to resign pietrangelo and dunn and still have cap space for backup goalie .. then they are set.. montreal still in rebuild mode ... got 1 yr of allen to back up price til primeau is ready much better to have primeau get 45 start in laval then 20 starts in nhl then he should be ready the next year and they will be safe in the seattle entry draft at goalie ... win win win ...
Evans truther
Quoting: jpsnow13
. Also, I thought every team need to expose a goalie signed for the 2021-2022 season for Seattle?!?! Allen doesnt meet this requirement, so why trade for him

Resigning McNiven or Lindgren to a two year deal solves your issue..
Banned
Quoting: HabsForEver
I think by us beating Pittsburgh in a best of 5, we earned our spot in the playoffs, but that doesn't matter. A rested Price gave us a chance to win every game vs Philly. Also that last part is false.

Typical delusion MTL fan. You play a trap game because your team is garbage. You are NOT making the playoffs next year as the East is loaded and you are not one of the loaded teams. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Forgot one thing...PIT was completely disinterested in playing and that was obvious watching them.
hanson493 and Random2152 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Thats Dunn secured.....for Pietrangelo you will need Bozak and Steen out.

With Allen cleared the Blues have, what, just shy of $7 mill in cap space? Dunn is MORE than done. Steen has a NTC and won't be bought out so he's not going anywhere. Bozak would be next if it comes to it, but even he has a 10 team no trade list so we'll see.

Had to start somewhere.
Trickster liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
Well Allen's stats were as average the last 2 seasons. Remember when STL was last in the league last year before Bennington came along? Hard to argue it wasn't because Allen was letting beach balls in....

Jake Allen is not a starter and that's what you're showing by his stats when he was trying to be. He can't handle being a starter. He IS, however, an exceptional backup. Which was also shown this year. You got him to be a backup not a starter so you shouldn't give much weight to his stats as a starter.
HabsForEver and Trickster liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Blueman96
Probably Ville Husso. Maybe a cheap UFA goalie, but Husso is likely ready, according to things I've read.

Is Husso a NHL quality backup?
This playoff format is proving having a capable backup can be huge.

Both teams are probably planning more moves I feel, we will wait and see.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Typical delusion MTL fan. You play a trap game because your team is garbage. You are NOT making the playoffs next year as the East is loaded and you are not one of the loaded teams. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Forgot one thing...PIT was completely disinterested in playing and that was obvious watching them.

What kind of baity ass response is this? Focus on beating NYI you loser
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
Banned
What kind of baity ass response is this? Focus on beating NYI you loser

Not baiting, just spittin' facts. The Flyers played their worst hockey since October and still beat you 4-2.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:09 p.m.
Why can't you? Not like Montreal has a cap problem.

No, but this is how cap problems start. Making idiotic moves like this and tying up 15 million in your goaltending. This makes no sense for MTL to do when they have Cayden Primeau that can be a very useful backup and on his ELC. Then you can use your actual cap space to sign some FA's this summer to good deals with the flat cap, when other teams will be strapped to get out from under some contracts and wont have space to sign people.

Big win by St Louis! They acquire cap space in moving Allen, who could be a shared starter on any team and they were able to get a 3rd round pick in a good draft this season and a 7th this year as well instead of a 7th in 2022.

The only good thing for MTL is that Allen is a UFA after the 20-21 season and it's low risk that way. However, this would have been a great opportunity to leverage the market this offseason with the space they had available in getting a great asset for a cap dump OR by offering some UFAs what they may have gotten in a normal year since they HAD the space to do it. Now they have 4.35 milllion less to do that and will continue to be part of the mediocrity of the league.
Trickster and Random2152 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:10 p.m.
Not baiting, just spittin' facts. The Flyers played their worst hockey since October and still beat you 4-2.

Not even worth a response. You proved your intelligence level with your previous comment. Worry about your own team.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.
Banned
Not even worth a response. You proved your intelligence level with your previous comment. Worry about your own team.

Sorry that you are upset that I told you the truth. Not my fault your team is garbage and won't come close to the playoffs next year.
mondo liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: bleener
No, but this is how cap problems start. Making idiotic moves like this and tying up 15 million in your goaltending. This makes no sense for MTL to do when they have Cayden Primeau that can be a very useful backup and on his ELC. Then you can use your actual cap space to sign some FA's this summer to good deals with the flat cap, when other teams will be strapped to get out from under some contracts and wont have space to sign people.

Big win by St Louis! They acquire cap space in moving Allen, who could be a shared starter on any team and they were able to get a 3rd round pick in a good draft this season and a 7th this year as well instead of a 7th in 2022.

The only good thing for MTL is that Allen is a UFA after the 20-21 season and it's low risk that way. However, this would have been a great opportunity to leverage the market this offseason with the space they had available in getting a great asset for a cap dump OR by offering some UFAs what they may have gotten in a normal year since they HAD the space to do it. Now they have 4.35 milllion less to do that and will continue to be part of the mediocrity of the league.

How do Cap Problems start by acquiring a goalie on a 1 year contract? Primeau has no NHL experience and started to trail off throughout the season. You don't rush unproven rookies for the sake of doing so. You let then ripe in the AHL. We still have 16 Million in cap space after this move so stop acting like we can't sign anyone.

St.Louis traded their better goaltender this year and got nothing back. They still can't afford to resign Pietrangelo and have now created a hole.

Like I said we have tons of cap space to work with.
Interesting. I like the move by Montreal but I thought they'd get Allen for less considering he's a cap dump. I guess even in a cap dump, Allen held more value than I expected. Good move by both teams.
palhal and jpsnow13 liked this.
Sorry that you are upset that I told you the truth. Not my fault your team is garbage and won't come close to the playoffs next year.

Keep repeating the exact same statement. It might work one of these times.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: ColonelX

Ewww
HabsForEver liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
I think this makes them signing petro alot easier now. huge win by the blues. also gives montreal a goalie they can use to actually give price nights off.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:17 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Great trade for both teams. Blues need to move Bozak and Steen and Pietrangelo is gonna wear the note!

half the league was disinterested in playing. money grab and thats it.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: hanson493
I think this makes them signing petro alot easier now. huge win by the blues. also gives montreal a goalie they can use to actually give price nights off.

Tbh I think moving Allen frees up Dunn's money - it helps the overall situation but still a long way to go to get Pietrangelo extended. I like the trade for both sides, pretty much what I was expecting in terms of value.
hanson493 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
You know nothing JS

Well it's obvious watching you that you are disinterested in making a smart comment, whatever that crap even means.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: ColonelX

Ewww

IMO most likely we trade Lindgren, and re-sign McNiven to a 1 year deal to be the 5th goalie. That way McNiven is an RFA next offseason, so he fits the exposure requirements.

So this season our goalies are:
1. Price
2. Allen
3. Primeau
4. Demchenko
5. McNiven

And next year they are:
1. Price
2. Primeau
3. Demchenko
jpsnow13 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
exo2769
The single biggest take away i get from this is....and I can't make this more clear... THIS IS THE 2020 GOALIE MARKET. A .927 SV% 2.15 GAA got a 3rd round pick. ALL this 1st rounder nonsense is crazy. Doesn't mean a GM can't get fleeced....JR.... But MTL also has the cap space too. Just think about all the teams that don't have the cap space.
Blueman96 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Is Husso a NHL quality backup?
This playoff format is proving having a capable backup can be huge.

Both teams are probably planning more moves I feel, we will wait and see.

Beat writers that know more than me seem to think so. If he's not, there appears to be a glut of goaltender options on UFA this year so it might be the Blues have to see what's out there. Either way, whatever they do at backup will be significantly less costly than $4.35/AAV. In a perfect world the Blues absolutely keep Jake Allen frown
exo2769 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
The single biggest take away i get from this is....and I can't make this more clear... THIS IS THE 2020 GOALIE MARKET. A .927 SV% 2.15 GAA got a 3rd round pick. ALL this 1st rounder nonsense is crazy. Doesn't mean a GM can't get fleeced....JR.... But MTL also has the cap space too. Just think about all the teams that don't have the cap space.

There are so many UFA goalies this year, it's nuts. Nobody is going to fork over premium future assets when they could just go out and sign someone.
exo2769 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Blueman96
There are so many UFA goalies this year, it's nuts. Nobody is going to fork over premium future assets when they could just go out and sign someone.

There are a few exceptions. I could see OTT trade for Freddie Anderson. While Anderson definitely had a terrible year (30th in SV% for all goalies than played 25 games...yikes!) he only costs $1M. That's a Melnyk special and OTT has a ton of picks. I could see a 2nd rounder going to TOR from a Budget team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit