Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason

Created by: cpg74
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 3, 2020
Published: Sep. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton trades down in the fist round to acquire a pick in the second round. Mat Benning likely only worth a third, but I'm guessing moving up 8 spots in the first round costs a little more than a single 2nd round pick.

Tampa gets 2 cheap pieces with possible upside and a pick. If 2 of the 3 pan out, then they done pretty well. They have to shed salary.

Holland recoups what he can for AA. LA needs speed, forwards and goals. Take a chance he gets back to 25.

Allen went for a 3rd.... Murray returns a 2nd?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
1$800,000
1$1,400,000
1$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,050,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2020 1st round pick (NYI)
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (DAL)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (SJS)
OTT
  1. Benning, Matthew [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
CGY
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2020 5th round pick (FLA)
EDM
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (CGY)
LAK
  1. Athanasiou, Andreas [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. Kemp, Philip [Reserve List]
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
EDM
  1. McCann, Jared [RFA Rights]
  2. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. Khaira, Jujhar
  2. Niemeläinen, Markus
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (SJS)
  4. 2021 4th round pick (CGY)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,506,032$341,534$730,000-$6,032
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$915,000$915,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 4, 2020 at 12:54 p.m.
careful, when I did JP + for Killorn people got very mad
Sep. 4, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Tampa is desperate to move Killorn. If he's willing to go to Edmonton, Puljujarvi should be enough to get the deal done.

As for the rest, mostly fair value, I think, but a lot of just shuffling bodies without really changing the makeup of any of these teams.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: ethan_kanye

The people are silly, though you'd probably need to have Puljujarvi under contract and maybe even eat a bit of it to make it ultra sweet.
ethan_kanye liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Quoting: HabsRafiki
Tampa is desperate to move Killorn. If he's willing to go to Edmonton, Puljujarvi should be enough to get the deal done.

As for the rest, mostly fair value, I think, but a lot of just shuffling bodies without really changing the makeup of any of these teams.

See thats kind of what would make sense, because they are a team with cap problems, lots of guys signed long term and are desperate to move them to make room for their RFAs, but Tampa is going to get a good return for whoever they are gonna move. Its exactly what happened last year with Miller.

The thing with Tampa is that the expensive players they would look to move (Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, Palat) are all still effective players. Its not like they have these old, washed up expensive cap dump players. The tricky thing with them is navigating the no-move and no trade clauses. Once they get one to agree to waive, they will get a good return. I dont think they are in as bad a position as people think. Obviously lots of cap is needed to be cleared to sign Sergachev and Cirelli, but it is doable. At least half the league would be happy to offer up a fair return on Killorn. Theres enough teams to drive the price up.

IMO Tampa is set for the next 5 years at least. They can just move out their "older" expensive guys for good prospects or 1st rounders, then develop these guys to be their next Brayden Points or Anthony Cirelli's
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Right destination for Athanasiou, price is probably a bit too high. I'd wager the price is closer to a 3rd and a 5th given that Holland tipped his hand regarding qualifying him. It fares out to be mathematically just under 50% of the price paid to acquire him and gives the Kings enough of an "optics win" to justify taking on a player with such low perceived value. Their third is pretty high anyways, so it's almost like acquiring a late second?
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:13 p.m.
Why would the Habs want Kris Russell?
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Although I wouldn't want to move back in the draft, I think Holland would definitely be interested in that Ottawa trade. Although, it might be a bit of an overpayment from Ottawa. Two 2nd rounders is a hefty price for bumping up 10ish spots from mid 20's to 14. Based on his last media availability, it sounds like he would for sure entertain recouping some picks to move back in the draft.

I also really like the Pittsburgh trade. Pitt fans might not because of the value though.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
See thats kind of what would make sense, because they are a team with cap problems, lots of guys signed long term and are desperate to move them to make room for their RFAs, but Tampa is going to get a good return for whoever they are gonna move. Its exactly what happened last year with Miller.

The thing with Tampa is that the expensive players they would look to move (Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, Palat) are all still effective players. Its not like they have these old, washed up expensive cap dump players. The tricky thing with them is navigating the no-move and no trade clauses. Once they get one to agree to waive, they will get a good return. I dont think they are in as bad a position as people think. Obviously lots of cap is needed to be cleared to sign Sergachev and Cirelli, but it is doable. At least half the league would be happy to offer up a fair return on Killorn. Theres enough teams to drive the price up.

IMO Tampa is set for the next 5 years at least. They can just move out their "older" expensive guys for good prospects or 1st rounders, then develop these guys to be their next Brayden Points or Anthony Cirelli's

I dont fully know what situation Tampa is in right now, but if they need to sign 98 and 71 would it be in their best interest to trade one of their bigger contracts (when the season is done) to make room? (9, 17 or 37)? if that is the case, would it really matter what the return would be?
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Quoting: matchen83
I dont fully know what situation Tampa is in right now, but if they need to sign 98 and 71 would it be in their best interest to trade one of their bigger contracts (when the season is done) to make room? (9, 17 or 37)? if that is the case, would it really matter what the return would be?

Im not sure what you mean? Like they are for sure going to look to move one or even two of 9, 17 and 37. Not sure what you mean by "would it really matter what the return would be?". Like I think obviously they want to get the absolute best return for their guys. Players like Johnson, Killorn and Gourde are all great players still, and I don't think a late 1st rounder (in terms of value) is a stretch at all for players like this. Whoever the move, All they would want would be picks, prospects, or super cheap roster players. The whole idea of moving these guys is to fit Cirelli and Sergachev's new contracts in.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
Im not sure what you mean? Like they are for sure going to look to move one or even two of 9, 17 and 37. Not sure what you mean by "would it really matter what the return would be?". Like I think obviously they want to get the absolute best return for their guys. Players like Johnson, Killorn and Gourde are all great players still, and I don't think a late 1st rounder (in terms of value) is a stretch at all for players like this. Whoever the move, All they would want would be picks, prospects, or super cheap roster players. The whole idea of moving these guys is to fit Cirelli and Sergachev's new contracts in.

Thanks for the response: "The whole idea of moving these guys is to fit Cirelli and Sergachev's new contracts in". Would teams low ball offers for the 3 players knowing Tampa has to trade one?
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
GO BOLTS
Great job by the poster and the comments. It is an intelligent post, rarely seen lately. Most believe Tampa will be robbed. Not going to be easy but can be done. All are in their prime. Gourde was shuffled around and had a down year. During the playoffs he is w good players and could be considered an MVP, playing like a 2C. TB will not get maximum value but will get decent value.

15 players signed at $76,166,66 cap hit

Players that are untouchable: Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Coleman, Goodrow, Hedman, Vasilesky

Players w large contracts and NTC: McDonagh, Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Killorn and to a lesser # Colburn @$1.7 for 1 year.

RFA: Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak

What I see is that TB has to move at least 15 million.

Will be traded Kilorn 4.4 and Paquette 1.6

Resign Cernak at about $2.75 for 3 years

Trade either Sergachev or Cirelli unless they can get 2 NTC to waive

Convince a $5 million contract to waive and convince Colburn to waive. Who that is is a guessing game.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.

Tampa has a dual problem of bloated contracts and handing out NTC/NMC like candy at Halloween. Killorn can limit Tampa to 8 destinations, which WAY lowers BriseBois' bargaining leverage. He has the same problem with Stamkos, Gourde, Palat, Johnson, McDonagh, even Coburn. They'll be getting pennies on the dollar when they try to market these guys. Sergachev should be playing the offersheet game hard.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
Quoting: jasalex
Great job by the poster and the comments. It is an intelligent post, rarely seen lately. Most believe Tampa will be robbed. Not going to be easy but can be done. All are in their prime. Gourde was shuffled around and had a down year. During the playoffs he is w good players and could be considered an MVP, playing like a 2C. TB will not get maximum value but will get decent value.

15 players signed at $76,166,66 cap hit

Players that are untouchable: Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Coleman, Goodrow, Hedman, Vasilesky

Players w large contracts and NTC: McDonagh, Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Killorn and to a lesser # Colburn @$1.7 for 1 year.

RFA: Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak

What I see is that TB has to move at least 15 million.

Will be traded Kilorn 4.4 and Paquette 1.6

Resign Cernak at about $2.75 for 3 years

Trade either Sergachev or Cirelli unless they can get 2 NTC to waive

Convince a $5 million contract to waive and convince Colburn to waive. Who that is is a guessing game.

I think you're right, but I think they need to dump 3 big contracts. They'd better hope Vasilesky has a long, healthy career.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
GO BOLTS
I think you're right, but I think they need to dump 3 big contracts. They'd better hope Vasilesky has a long, healthy career.

Yes, I consider Sergachev and Cirelli big contrats about 4.9 million so one of those + Killorn 4.4 + a $5 million contract + Paquette 1.7 and Colburn 1.6 should do it.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:49 p.m.
Yes, I consider Sergachev and Cirelli big contrats about 4.9 million so one of those + Killorn 4.4 + a $5 million contract + Paquette 1.7 and Colburn 1.6 should do it.

Don't forget that you have to replace Paquette and Coburn on the roster, so really the savings is only about 1.5M there.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
Or the Kings will just wait for AA to become a UFA on Nov 1 because Edmonton can't afford to qualify him. His play has fallen off a cliff this year. The Kings won't give up anything of value for him.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Quoting: matchen83
Thanks for the response: "The whole idea of moving these guys is to fit Cirelli and Sergachev's new contracts in". Would teams low ball offers for the 3 players knowing Tampa has to trade one?

Yea thats fair. My thoughts are that at the end of the day, they are all still really effective players who aren't even necessarily "overpaid", but rather just have some younger, more important guys that need space for.

Like last year they were in a similar situation, maybe not as pressing as they are this year with 2 really really goof RFAs, but Miller still got a 1st when people thought they were screwed. AS someone mentioned here, I hope Sergachev and Cirelli both leverage offersheets
jasalex liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
GO BOLTS
Don't forget that you have to replace Paquette and Coburn on the roster, so really the savings is only about 1.5M there.

Correct Stephens at .8 replaces Paquette and Foote at .9 replaces Coburn
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Correct Stephens at .8 replaces Paquette and Foote at .9 replaces Coburn

Still pretty tight to the cap, but breathing.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
GO BOLTS
Still pretty tight to the cap, but breathing.

correct paid a high price but getting Coleman and goodrow makes it possible. I questioned the GM but he is a lot smarter than me. I would not be surprised to so Bogosian or Shattenkirk take a very friendly contract. Bogo playing well and after 12 years in the playoffs. Shattenkirk still has buyout money and says he wants to be here.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.
Evans truther

Depends on which guy they're able to fin a trade partner for;
-Don't think Gourde's on the block and I couldn't see a good reason to pay anything above 25 cents on the dollar for him after this year's regression and that mammoth of a contract for a third liner.
-Johnson's fine but turning 30 years old and on a four year trend of ppg regression I don't see any profitable market value for him. His main selling point's his offense and with that trend I don't see anyone paying anything for someone with four more years at 5M$.
-Killhorn's on the verge of turning 31 but he with his excellent year, size and more affordable contract than the others he might return decent value if he gets traded! Usually seen on ACGMs are a couple of 2nd rounders in exchange which I think TB would take to free up that cap space but it'd obviously be selling at around 75-80 cents on the dollar. He only has a 16 team NTC so he might be the easiest one to move although I don't think TB wants to move him, he's somewhat part of the core and the only top six worthy player that brings a physical presence.
-Palat might be the only one to get 100% of value back thanks to his playoffs, a two year contract and still being under 30. If there's only one aspect that I worry about him is that he has yet to play a full year in the NHL ... I don't follow TB enough to state that he's injury prone but it sure looks like it. Do I see a team giving you a first for him? No because there's only TB and PIT that are throwing 1st rounders in every trade and none are cap friendly but he could very well be part of a package to get something interesting. Once again maybe selling 75-80 cent on the dollar kind of value?
All in all I don't think Tampa's in such a bad spot as some might apprehend but they won't get top dollars for their guys either.
HabsRafiki and Bringer_Of_Snow liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
OTT declines
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
GO BOLTS
Quoting: ColonelX
Depends on which guy they're able to fin a trade partner for;
-Don't think Gourde's on the block and I couldn't see a good reason to pay anything above 25 cents on the dollar for him after this year's regression and that mammoth of a contract for a third liner.
-Johnson's fine but turning 30 years old and on a four year trend of ppg regression I don't see any profitable market value for him. His main selling point's his offense and with that trend I don't see anyone paying anything for someone with four more years at 5M$.
-Killhorn's on the verge of turning 31 but he with his excellent year, size and more affordable contract than the others he might return decent value if he gets traded! Usually seen on ACGMs are a couple of 2nd rounders in exchange which I think TB would take to free up that cap space but it'd obviously be selling at around 75-80 cents on the dollar. He only has a 16 team NTC so he might be the easiest one to move although I don't think TB wants to move him, he's somewhat part of the core and the only top six worthy player that brings a physical presence.
-Palat might be the only one to get 100% of value back thanks to his playoffs, a two year contract and still being under 30. If there's only one aspect that I worry about him is that he has yet to play a full year in the NHL ... I don't follow TB enough to state that he's injury prone but it sure looks like it. Do I see a team giving you a first for him? No because there's only TB and PIT that are throwing 1st rounders in every trade and none are cap friendly but he could very well be part of a package to get something interesting. Once again maybe selling 75-80 cent on the dollar kind of value?
All in all I don't think Tampa's in such a bad spot as some might apprehend but they won't get top dollars for their guys either.

Good take. Killorn most trade able followed by Palat. I think they both get a second round pick. Palat plays a heavy game and each year taken a toll. This year he trained differently picked up speed, lost some weight and it has paid off. Healthy the full year. Johnson not playing natural position of center combined w being moved up and down line up hurt his production. On another team would be a 2C maybe 3C. He is only a year away from scoring 29 goals when he was first line wing. He should return low 2 or high 3. Gourde the problem, is a very strong 3C, brings great speed, will give you 40 points and play a strong checking game. This year he played a lot of fourth line and production suffered and a 5.1 million contract hard to move.
Sep. 5, 2020 at 1:53 a.m.
Quoting: ethan_kanye

of course. JP's value is anywhere from a 2nd rounder to a bag of pucks. The sleeper is Kemp. Is he the next John Marino? I don't know, but hes a big RD in college who could step in soon. Thought 3 lottery tickets was enough and theyre cheap. Tampa is gonna have so much trouble. They cant trade for anyone established cause that would carry $$$. It has to be picks or magic beans.
Sep. 5, 2020 at 1:56 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Or the Kings will just wait for AA to become a UFA on Nov 1 because Edmonton can't afford to qualify him. His play has fallen off a cliff this year. The Kings won't give up anything of value for him.

I think if the market for an unsigned AA is poor, Holland resigns him and find cap savings elsewhere. He's not in the business of losing assets.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll