SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

WPG acquires a RD

Created by: RealHavocc
Published: Sep. 9, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 41/186 (22%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $6,675,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: -$3,875,357
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ristolainen, RasmusBuffalo SabresNHL-$5,400,000111---6962733--
2020 2nd round pick (Logo of the Buffalo SabresBUF)---010------
2021 4th round pick (Logo of the Buffalo SabresBUF)---001------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ehlers, NikolajWinnipeg JetsNHL-$6,000,000111---71253358--
2022 3rd round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---010------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$10,550,3572245603410
Change-$600,00000000-1
Final$9,950,357 (↓)224560349 (↓)19625

Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWinnipeg Jets

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ehlers, NikolajWinnipeg JetsNHL-$1,322,580111---71253358--
2022 3rd round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---010------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ristolainen, RasmusBuffalo SabresNHL-$1,190,322111---6962733--
2020 2nd round pick (Logo of the Buffalo SabresBUF)---010------
2021 4th round pick (Logo of the Buffalo SabresBUF)---001------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$3,718,584284659359
Change$132,258000001
Final$3,850,842 (↑)2846593510 (↑)-19-60
Sep. 9, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
Winnipeg might have interest in Risto, but not at that price.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
Winnipeg might have interest in Risto, but not at that price.

I don't mind the trade. It's a good hockey deal. You give up from a position of strength to fill a need. You appear to reject every Jets trade on this site. Nobody's going to trade you Risto for Jansen Harkins, and as Chevy knows that, I think he would try to work a deal out with this framework.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: Bo_Knows
I don't mind the trade. It's a good hockey deal. You give up from a position of strength to fill a need. You appear to reject every Jets trade on this site. Nobody's going to trade you Risto for Jansen Harkins, and as Chevy knows that, I think he would try to work a deal out with this framework.

Yup, less than zero chance Winnipeg considers it.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Yup, less than zero chance Winnipeg considers it.

There may be less than zero chance that you consider it; you've made that quite clear. But I don't see how you can assert that Chevy would hang up the phone immediately.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
There may be less than zero chance that you consider it; you've made that quite clear. But I don't see how you can assert that Chevy would hang up the phone immediately.

Well make your case for why Chevy wouldn't. Buffalo has been trying to dump Ristolainen for over a year with no takers. But all of a sudden a defenseman they couldn't give away is worth a young, first line, play driving winger with a bargain, long term contact that has committed to Winnipeg.

My assertion is Chevy isn't going to trade 5 years of a first line winger on a bargain contract for 2 years of a low end second pairing defenseman. I think Chevy's smarter than that.

But go ahead and make your case. It's something to talk about at least.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Well make your case for why Chevy wouldn't. Buffalo has been trying to dump Ristolainen for over a year with no takers. But all of a sudden a defenseman they couldn't give away is worth a young, first line, play driving winger with a bargain, long term contact that has committed to Winnipeg.

My assertion is Chevy isn't going to trade 5 years of a first line winger on a bargain contract for 2 years of a low end second pairing defenseman. I think Chevy's smarter than that.

But go ahead and make your case. It's something to talk about at least.

Okay, here's my case:

While Risto has been in trade rumours for a while, Buffalo has not tried to "dump" him. The reason he hasn't been traded yet is that they were deluded into thinking they were a playoff contender, and therefore they might need a guy like Risto. Now that the Sabres have come to their senses, they would logically attempt to shop Risto.

You seem to underestimate the abilities of Rasmus Ristolainen. He is hardly a "low-end second-pairing defenseman". He played with Rasmus Dahlin on the top pairing in what might be the only Sabres bright spot not named Jack Eichel. He managed 33 points in a shortened season. You're kidding yourself if you think he would play anywhere other than next to Morrissey in WPG. Ehlers is a heck of a player, no doubt, but he's not a first-line winger because he isn't on your first line. At least, not when Scheif and Laine were healthy. Meanwhile, 5 years 6 mil is, in this flat cap, more problematic than you might think, especially considering the Jets are re-signing Patrik Laine next summer, and they need space to beef up their defence. Your point that Risto is signed for only two more years is problematic because a) The Jets don't know if they will need him in two years, but they do know that they need him now, and b) there is this wonderful tool employed widely by GMs called a "contract extension". Having lived in Winnipeg before, I am sure that Risto will know better than Jacob Trouba and stay long-term in your fine city. It sure is nicer than Buffalo.

I am sure I did not convince you one iota regarding this trade, but you asked me to make my case and I did. Good-day to you.
Windjammer liked this.
Sep. 9, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
Okay, here's my case:

While Risto has been in trade rumours for a while, Buffalo has not tried to "dump" him. The reason he hasn't been traded yet is that they were deluded into thinking they were a playoff contender, and therefore they might need a guy like Risto. Now that the Sabres have come to their senses, they would logically attempt to shop Risto.

You seem to underestimate the abilities of Rasmus Ristolainen. He is hardly a "low-end second-pairing defenseman". He played with Rasmus Dahlin on the top pairing in what might be the only Sabres bright spot not named Jack Eichel. He managed 33 points in a shortened season. You're kidding yourself if you think he would play anywhere other than next to Morrissey in WPG. Ehlers is a heck of a player, no doubt, but he's not a first-line winger because he isn't on your first line. At least, not when Scheif and Laine were healthy. Meanwhile, 5 years 6 mil is, in this flat cap, more problematic than you might think, especially considering the Jets are re-signing Patrik Laine next summer, and they need space to beef up their defence. Your point that Risto is signed for only two more years is problematic because a) The Jets don't know if they will need him in two years, but they do know that they need him now, and b) there is this wonderful tool employed widely by GMs called a "contract extension". Having lived in Winnipeg before, I am sure that Risto will know better than Jacob Trouba and stay long-term in your fine city. It sure is nicer than Buffalo.

I am sure I did not convince you one iota regarding this trade, but you asked me to make my case and I did. Good-day to you.

Hey, I appreciate you laying out your case. At least you have some solid reasoning behind it. I don't agree with your reasoning, but we all have opinions.

The one item I do disagree with is calling Ehlers a second line winger, just because he plays on a team with probably the best wing depth in the league. That's like calling Malkin a 2C in his prime because he played behind Crosby.

Thanks for the conversation and not resorting to the normal name calling.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 4:15 p.m.
both make good points about the players u like .. ehlers is not to shabby of a top 6 depends on who he is with. same can be said of risto. he is only 25 and despite playing in buffalo with what 5 coaches in 7 yrs since his 1st nhl season in the last 5 yrs he has put up at least 33 pts with 45 being his tops with a more established team . he could very well fit that 2d slot that he has filled in buffalo for the last 7 yrs.. great size and mobility . still very young as far as dmen go.. i dont think losing ehlers would hurt winnipeg at all. this could work for both teams but if winnipeg is truly shopping ehlers they could possible get more and then go after one of FA D this year.. vatanen comes to mind or tj brodie.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll