Forums/Armchair-GM

Is This Team Deep Enough To Contend

Created by: koremoo
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 13, 2020
Published: Sep. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think that there is quite a bit of depth on this team but I’m not sure how far they could go.
Also, I don’t know too much about the AHL team, would this team also be good?
Hudon-Poehling-Weal
Dauphin-Blandisi-Belzile
Vejdemo-Hillis-Ylonen
Teasdale-Lucchini-Alain
Olofsson-Juulsen
Ouellet-Fleury
Leskinen-Brook
Primeau
Demchenko/Lindgren
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$900,000
1$975,000
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,750,000
1$1,750,000
5$5,875,000
1$950,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Anderson, Josh [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
MTL
  1. 2021 4th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Mete, Victor [RFA Rights]
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$76,372,976$0$3,137,500$5,127,024
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$975,000$975,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Rangers accept
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Rangers accept

I think it’s a pretty good trade for both teams. Rangers get a good young dman and the Habs need to move a LHD sometime his offseason. Could the price go up to a second or would that be a dealbreaker?
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
I like Montreal's team quite a bit. I think they are close to contending.

I dislike all 3 trades for Montreal. Domi is more valuable than that. May as well keep Mete instead of getting a 3rd. And no need to pay to get rid of Byron.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:26 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Quoting: koremoo
I think it’s a pretty good trade for both teams. Rangers get a good young dman and the Habs need to move a LHD sometime his offseason. Could the price go up to a second or would that be a dealbreaker?

I think it's fair but we'd probably just go to Libor Hajek before paying anything more. NYR are looking for long-term fixtures but third round pick for a short term guy isn't bad. Some team will definitely beat the offer tho
koremoo liked this.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN

I dislike all 3 trades for Montreal. Domi is more valuable than that. May as well keep Mete instead of getting a 3rd. And no need to pay to get rid of Byron.

Personally, I believe that among GMs in the league, Domi is not being valued highly. His attitude during the playoffs would be a warning if I was a GM. He still has quite a bit of value but so does Anderson. He’s a big boy with a scoring touch and grit. He is essentially an upgraded Armia. Although I’m a big fan of Mete, I'm not sure where he fits on the team anymore. Would it help if we got a 2nd instead of a first? Byron’s contract is unnecessarily large for a player that has passed his prime and is slowly going to decline in the next couple year. Getting it off the books early might be a good idea for us.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:34 a.m.
Personally, I believe that among GMs in the league, Domi is not being valued highly. His attitude during the playoffs would be a warning if I was a GM. He still has quite a bit of value but so does Anderson. He’s a big boy with a scoring touch and grit. He is essentially an upgraded Armia. Although I’m a big fan of Mete, I'm not sure where he fits on the team anymore. Would it help if we got a 2nd instead of a first? Byron’s contract is unnecessarily large for a player that has passed his prime and is slowly going to decline in the next couple year. Getting it off the books early might be a good idea for us.

Ya looking at the Byron contract now. It is worse than I thought. Thought it was like 2m. My bad!

Other 2 I still disagree with :P
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
Ya looking at the Byron contract now. It is worse than I thought. Thought it was like 2m. My bad!

Other 2 I still disagree with :P

That’s fine. What’s your value on Domi and Mete?
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:39 a.m.
That’s fine. What’s your value on Domi and Mete?

I view Mete and Dermott in the same type of realm. Unless they get an offer they can't refuse or unless they have to move them for cap reasons, may as well keep them. Young and top 4 potential.

Domi is a legitimate top 6 winger. Those tend to go for a 1st, Nice prospect and a player who can play now. Anderson just had a terrible year.

So probably Anderson + Columbus 1st (21OA) + a B prospect.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
1. The defense got worse.
2. Drouin isn't good, why is he on the first line.
3. Kovalchuk is done, why is he on the second line.
4. Hoffman is an irresponsible, empty calorie scorer. Not the guy with whom you win games.
5. Nate Thompson is one of the worse players in the league, why is he on the fourth line.
6. Can Price play 50 games like he did in the playoffs? or is he back to regular season form when he's below .910?
7. Will Allen be his 2019-2020 self or will he suck again?
8. What happened to Josh Anderson and what makes you think he can play on the first line.. or any line for that matter?

Too many things left uncertain, so my guess is no.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
Quoting: SkatinTintin
4. Hoffman is an irresponsible, empty calorie scorer. Not the guy with whom you win games.
5. Nate Thompson is one of the worse players in the league, why is he on the fourth line.
6. Can Price play 50 games like he did in the playoffs? or is he back to regular season form when he's below .910?
8. What happened to Josh Anderson and what makes you think he can play on the first line.. or any line for that matter?

...fck you maybe just saying
Sep. 13, 2020 at 1:43 a.m.

Domi is not more valuable than this.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 1:43 a.m.
I view Mete and Dermott in the same type of realm. Unless they get an offer they can't refuse or unless they have to move them for cap reasons, may as well keep them. Young and top 4 potential.

Domi is a legitimate top 6 winger. Those tend to go for a 1st, Nice prospect and a player who can play now. Anderson just had a terrible year.

So probably Anderson + Columbus 1st (21OA) + a B prospect.

This is laughable. Quit overvaluing your players.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 1:52 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
This is laughable. Quit overvaluing your players.

I am a Leafs fan...
Sep. 13, 2020 at 1:56 a.m.
I am a Leafs fan...

then don't let the habs fans make you believe Domi is worth this absurd price they've marketed him at.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 2:02 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
then don't let the habs fans make you believe Domi is worth this absurd price they've marketed him at.

I haven't.... You know Domi got 72 pts last season right? This season he got 44 in 71 games. So he fell off quite a bit. I think it would be safe to assume he would be a 20-25 goal scorer and a 50-55 point player.
Domi would get at least as much as the Leafs got for Kap. I would take Domi over Kap any day. And the Leafs got a good prospect and the 15th overall. I think a good prospect, 21 overall and a lesser roster player (Anderson in this case) would be fully reasonable to assume.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 2:10 a.m.
I haven't.... You know Domi got 72 pts last season right? This season he got 44 in 71 games. So he fell off quite a bit. I think it would be safe to assume he would be a 20-25 goal scorer and a 50-55 point player.
Domi would get at least as much as the Leafs got for Kap. I would take Domi over Kap any day. And the Leafs got a good prospect and the 15th overall. I think a good prospect, 21 overall and a lesser roster player (Anderson in this case) would be fully reasonable to assume.

The leafs got their value for Kapanen because he has a contract of 3.2M for the next two years. We all know it's an overpay, but that's the thing nowadays - low cap hit players who are impactful get hefty returns.
Domi isn't signed, and word is that his ask is absurdly high.

He had 72 points once. Otherwise he appears to just be a 50 point guy with a one off high year. He was also invisible in the playoffs and cannot carry a line.

With his contract uncertain or overvalued and a down year, he shouldn't get paid like an elite guy when he isn't. He's a middle six forward.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 2:14 a.m.
I said - I think it would be safe to assume he would be a 20-25 goal scorer and a 50-55 point player.
you said - he appears to just be a 50 point guy with a one off high year.

So we agree. That puts him as a top 6 forward.

An elite player would fetch even more than 21st overall, mid prospect and Anderson.

Now the contract side of things could be a problem. I think he will end up getting 5.25m x 5
Sep. 13, 2020 at 12:13 p.m.

1. Playoffs D: Chiarot-Weber Kulak-Petry Mete-Ouellet. The first 2 pairings remain the same. Edmundson and Romanov are upgrades on Mete and Ouellet.
2. Not sure if you watched the playoffs but Drouin had great chemistry with Suzuki. He might not be the best LW, but it's about the fit.
3. Kovalchuk was a great mentor for Suzuki, and I think he can help KK improve like Suzuki. Also, Kovy played great with Montreal and it would be wise to at least give him a chance. He just didn't do very well with Washington.
4. Hoffman would be a great help on the PP and would bring us scoring that we don't really have on the Habs right now. It's worth it just so that you have dual one-timer threats on the PP on both sides of the ice with Weber.
5. You obviously don't watch Nate Thompson and he was also a player favorite in the locker room. He's a great leader and if he is struggling, Evans is right there to take that spot.
6 and 7. With Allen on his game, he is one of the better backups in the league. This will give Price the opportunity to rest up for the postseason and not injure or fatigue himself. When he is rested, they're are few if not no goalies as good as him in the world.
8. Josh Anderson is a good fit for the first line because he brings size and skill to a smaller line. People forget that he scored 27 goals 2 seasons ago and also has the grit. He is essentially an upgraded Armia.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
1. Playoffs D: Chiarot-Weber Kulak-Petry Mete-Ouellet. The first 2 pairings remain the same. Edmundson and Romanov are upgrades on Mete and Ouellet.

Edmundson is not an upgrade over Kulak and Mete, and the fact that he's here is probably because they were not satisfied with Romanov and with what they saw of him during practice in Toronto.

2. Not sure if you watched the playoffs but Drouin had great chemistry with Suzuki. He might not be the best LW, but it's about the fit.

Drouin and Suzuki played 65 minutes together in 10 playoff games. It's not enough to make team changing decisions.

3. Kovalchuk was a great mentor for Suzuki, and I think he can help KK improve like Suzuki. Also, Kovy played great with Montreal and it would be wise to at least give him a chance. He just didn't do very well with Washington.

An other quick judgement made on a few games. Suzuki and Kovalchuk played 140 minutes together and they were absolute horse**** at generating offense.

4. Hoffman would be a great help on the PP and would bring us scoring that we don't really have on the Habs right now. It's worth it just so that you have dual one-timer threats on the PP on both sides of the ice with Weber.

Food for thought: last time the MTL powerplay was good was when Shea Weber was injured and didn't play.

5. You obviously don't watch Nate Thompson and he was also a player favorite in the locker room. He's a great leader and if he is struggling, Evans is right there to take that spot.

I did watch. MTL scored 6 goals at 5v5 in the playoffs against Philadelphia, Thompson was on the ice for 3. He got pounded by Kotkaniemi shift after shift. Philadelphia was better at everything when he was off the ice.

6 and 7. With Allen on his game, he is one of the better backups in the league. This will give Price the opportunity to rest up for the postseason and not injure or fatigue himself. When he is rested, they're are few if not no goalies as good as him in the world.

In the past three seasons (2017-2020), Carey Price has been the 111th out of 116 goalies in Goals Saved Above Expected (-32.21) and he's not gone into deep playoffs runs either. So I don't know where all this fatigue comes from, but hopefully you're right.

8. Josh Anderson is a good fit for the first line because he brings size and skill to a smaller line. People forget that he scored 27 goals 2 seasons ago and also has the grit. He is essentially an upgraded Armia.

"I used to be good, now it means I can be a first line winger in the most difficult league in the world." The logic really is strong here.
Sep. 13, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
Edmundson is not an upgrade over Kulak and Mete, and the fact that he's here is probably because they were not satisfied with Romanov and with what they saw of him during practice in Toronto.

Drouin and Suzuki played 65 minutes together in 10 playoff games. It's not enough to make team changing decisions.

An other quick judgement made on a few games. Suzuki and Kovalchuk played 140 minutes together and they were absolute horse**** at generating offense.

Food for thought: last time the MTL powerplay was good was when Shea Weber was injured and didn't play.

I did watch. MTL scored 6 goals at 5v5 in the playoffs against Philadelphia, Thompson was on the ice for 3. He got pounded by Kotkaniemi shift after shift. Philadelphia was better at everything when he was off the ice.

In the past three seasons (2017-2020), Carey Price has been the 111th out of 116 goalies in Goals Saved Above Expected (-32.21) and he's not gone into deep playoffs runs either. So I don't know where all this fatigue comes from, but hopefully you're right.

"I used to be good, now it means I can be a first line winger in the most difficult league in the world." The logic really is strong here.

1. I never said that Edmundson is an upgrade on Kulak but he is definitely better than Mete.
2. Zuks is one of the only centers that has brought the most out of Drouin. If you can find a player to compliment Drouin, keep them together until they don't do well together.
3. Kovalchuk was a great mentor for Suzuki. Even if they didn't produce a bunch, he was able to help him improve. If he can do the same with KK, I will be happy.
4. I agree that Weber is not a very good PP player but if you have a dual threat with him and Hoffman, it will draw defenders away from other players on the PP. For example, one player will probably be drawn to one of the two, leaving two players open.
5. Thompson is not as bad as you think he is. He provides leadership and experience. He was not a liability with the Habs. Most of the time, it is a matter of a fit on the team.
6 and 7. The reason why Price has not gone on deep runs is because he has never had a good team in front of him and when he did get close, Kreider killed his knee. Price has not had good defense in front of him in a couple years at least.
8. Again, it's not about excelling there necessarily, it's about being a good fit on that line. The Habs have built themselves around depth and being able to roll all four lines at any point. If you put Hoffman there, the Habs will be screwed defensively and size wise. If he can even put up 20 goals, he will still bring that grit and intensity, and it will be a great contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll