Forums/NHL Trades

(MIN/BUF) - Staal for Johansson

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 17, 2020 at 1:07 a.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Johansson is not a center yet...

This has to be a precursor to another trade. Johansson is a clear downgrade from Staal

So I've got a take, but I don't think Wild fans are going to like it. I think they've maybe identified a guy they think will be a replacement for Staal, but the ask might have included Eriksson Ek. So they trade Staal and get a guy who can replace Ek, and trade Ek for a long term replacement for Staal.

I still don't think that's a good plan, but that's the way I think this maybe plays out? Maybe a situation where Ek is package with Dumba and the big piece for Minny is Monahan? Or maybe they get a guy like Strome or Cirelli?
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:07 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
I would say good move for MIN....6 years younger Johansson that will benefit from playing in MIN and 35y old Staal regresing in BUF.....both with 45 Points this Season

Actually thats how you trade someone that you wont sign for the "signing rights" of someone that will be on ice for next 5 years

Johansson did not have 45 points this season.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:40 a.m.
Quoting: Jexus
Johansson did not have 45 points this season.

The whole sentence is describing about what it will happen, so this Season means...well...you can figure
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:48 a.m.
Is this trade made to change the culture in our locker room? Or is it to free a spot on 1C, because it feels like Guerin traded Staal just for the sake of trading Staal. I think Guerin took his first L on the trade market here...
Sep. 17, 2020 at 4:30 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
Where's the option for both teams losing this trade? Stall won't be a long-term solution for the Sabres and Mojo is yet another mid-6 forward for the Wild, which is the least of their concern.

The Sabres have Cozens coming up, Staal is not meant to be a long-term solution
Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 4:33 a.m.
So the Sabres got a better player who might land them some picks/prospects at the deadline if their season goes bad again
PrincessChloe liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 6:54 a.m.
Flood Geologist
Quoting: DSZ
Plot Twist: Eric Staal forgot to put Buffalo on his no trade list and retires

Maybe with pandemic and bubble cities for the next hockey season he can play for the Sabres but he won't ever have to actually go to Buffalo
Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
Guerin did this just to rub it in Rutherford's face. "I made you retain 50% on Bjugstad, but gave Buffalo the 3C that you keep saying that you are looking for... HAHAHAHAHA"
Sep. 17, 2020 at 8:37 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
So I've got a take, but I don't think Wild fans are going to like it. I think they've maybe identified a guy they think will be a replacement for Staal, but the ask might have included Eriksson Ek. So they trade Staal and get a guy who can replace Ek, and trade Ek for a long term replacement for Staal.

I still don't think that's a good plan, but that's the way I think this maybe plays out? Maybe a situation where Ek is package with Dumba and the big piece for Minny is Monahan? Or maybe they get a guy like Strome or Cirelli?

Potentially. I don't necessarily hate the idea of moving Ek as long as we get a center that belongs on the top line (like Cirelli). I mean I'd rather we keep him since I think you need guys like him in the playoffs, but if he fixes our 1C then I wouldn't be too fussed about losing him as long as it's not a ridiculous overpayment.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
The whole sentence is describing about what it will happen, so this Season means...well...you can figure

Ah sorry. Your english threw me off. No worries.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 10:02 a.m.
Wild's centre depth is weak at the moment
Trickster liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 1:40 a.m.
Edited Sep. 18, 2020 at 1:47 a.m.
I'm curious as to what this trade says about Casey Mittelstadt and where he fits in to the team's plans for next season. Does he still project as a top six Center? I think it's looking like Eichel and Cozens right now. There was a reason Mittelstadt fell to #8 when he was projected as high as #3.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 1:47 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I'm curious as to what this trade says about Casey Mittelstadt and where he fits in to the team's plans for next season. Does he still project as a top six Center? I think it's looking like Eichel and Cozens right now. There was a reason Mittelstadt fell to #7 when he was projected as high as #3.

Apparently it's looking like:

Eichel
Staal
Cozens

So unless Mittelstatd is going to play 4th line center or the wing, he doesn't fit.
Brian2016 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 1:56 a.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver

Eichel
Staal
Cozens

So unless Mittelstatd is going to play 4th line center or the wing, he doesn't fit.

What's his trade value at this point? I'm not even sure they can move him at this point. They're obviously still in rebuild mode and the fans would go nuts if he was traded for futures, right? I think he could develop into a decent 2nd or 3rd line Winger, but he needs to bulk up and toughen up. He's way too soft. But, he has tons of skill. His game just doesn't seem to be translating to the NHL.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 1:58 a.m.
What's his trade value at this point? I'm not even sure they can move him at this point. They're obviously still in rebuild mode and the fans would go nuts if he was traded for futures, right? I think he could develop into a decent 2nd or 3rd line Winger, but he needs to bulk up and toughen up. He's way too soft. But, he has tons of skill. His game just doesn't seem to be translating to the NHL.

I don't really watch him play nor do I know his potential. At this point he's still 21 and at best a 4th line center ATM. I'd say like a 2nd round pick or maybe swap him for a similar prospect?
Brian2016 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 5:53 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Quoting: HabsForEver

Eichel
Staal
Cozens

He's starting in the AHL. If he pushes In, Cozens goes to RW.
HabsForEver and Brian2016 liked this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Staal is going to be 36. Wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota wins this long-term.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: DDoverChucky
Staal is going to be 36. Wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota wins this long-term.

If he wakes up Skinner for a season long term doesn't matter. Plus it's give Cozens an extra year of development. and gives the culture in Buffalo a shot in the arm.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: Rangsey
If he wakes up Skinner for a season long term doesn't matter. Plus it's give Cozens an extra year of development. and gives the culture in Buffalo a shot in the arm.

Culture starts at the top. Guys like Lamoriello and Trotz can create a great culture. Whoever Buffalo has I have doubts
Sep. 21, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: DDoverChucky
Culture starts at the top. Guys like Lamoriello and Trotz can create a great culture. Whoever Buffalo has I have doubts

Yeah. But it's the guys at the top who make moves to bring in guys like Staal to change the culture in the room.
Jan. 2, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Doesn’t seem like that’s the case:

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I seem to remember Friedman saying that Eric Staal had previously chosen his no trade list so that he had the lowest chance of getting traded, by including the 10 good teams he would think would be interested in him. If that’s still the case with how he picked his teams, it appears to have backfired.

Hmm.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit