SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Joel Edmundson (4 Years / $3,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:18 p.m.
It definitely is time for Bergevin to go. Awful contract for an awful player and we payed a 5th round pick on top of it.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:29 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: Random2152
Oh no baby what you doin'?

EiEqzaTX0AAdSWD?format=png&name=900x900

lol
mhockey91 and SkatinTintin liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:34 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: aadoyle
Alzner 2.0 maybe we shall see

EiEl26OXYAMBSAE?format=jpg&name=large

Ooof
mhockey91, Wqrrior, SkatinTintin and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:42 p.m.
Quoting: SkatinTintin
It definitely is time for Bergevin to go. Awful contract for an awful player and we payed a 5th round pick on top of it.

Nawh keep hating. I'll see you in a few years to remind you of this terrible comment
habitantlecolon liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Nawh keep hating. I'll see you in a few years to remind you of this terrible comment

Yikes

You know you can admit a signing is bad at the moment even though you hope it ends up being a good signing?

If you really think this is a good signing, how is it?
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I recall a few months ago quite a controversy here on CapFriendly over whether Boston's John Moore was worth a fifth, or entirely worthless. Well, Carolina got a fifth for Edmundson, and Montreal signed him for $750,000 more, so is everyone satisfied that now we have the answer?

The difference is that Edmundson played... Moore was the 7/8D
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
The difference is that Edmundson played... Moore was the 7/8D

Moore doesn't have much value
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
Moore doesn't have much value

I wouldn't take Moore for free on any team. But who knows. A few of the GMs aren't very bright.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:54 p.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
Yikes

You know you can admit a signing is bad at the moment even though you hope it ends up being a good signing?

If you really think this is a good signing, how is it?

I can admit a bad signing when it's a bad signing. I'm not going to call a good signing a bad signing just to agree with the majority. Sorry
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle

Are you sure you’re a Habs fan? Our gm is the same guy who got us Tuna and Zuke in the Patches trade, and Domi for Galchenyuk. Just because he has one sketchy signing doesn’t mean he should go. 5th round picks have a low chance of NHL anyway. If Berge likes him, I trust that.
habitantlecolon, jpsnow13, HabsForEver and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.
I can admit a bad signing when it's a bad signing. I'm not going to call a good signing a bad signing just to agree with the majority. Sorry

Fine. But that's not my point. Why do you think this is a good signing?
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
Fine. But that's not my point. Why do you think this is a good signing?

It's a good signing because I can see what he did in St.Louis before he had a "bad year" in Carolina. At the end of the day, he's our second best LHD and it's only 3.5 at the end of the day.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Our top 4 is finally looking solid. Another signing just like Chiarot.

Edmundson is not a top 4 defensmen.

He's not a number 5 defensemen either.
bhavikp27, Wqrrior and habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Edmundson is not a top 4 defensmen.

He's not a number 5 defensemen either.

You can think what you want to think. I'll wait for him to step on the ice before doubting him
habitantlecolon and ColonelX liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 10:49 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: kaljakori
It's almost like this league is full of bad GMs because it's extremely antiquated, with organizational "inbreeding" and nepotism being extremely common. Also, +/- is useless, so that's out of the window, TOI doesn't matter when he's using it horrificly, as for "scoring touch" his career high for points is 20. He's just not good and terrible analytically to boot.

Tall and big? Okay, Myers, Ristolainen, Ericsson are big. Are they good?
Scoring touch? Around 18 pts/poor offensively
+/- is a flawed stat
TOI? That's only quantity. How good is the quality tho

Well, 7 goals would have made him the best goalscorer amongst the Toronto defense squad and second to Krug in Boston (by 2).

You see what fits you. I'll do the same...
habitantlecolon and ColonelX liked this.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
but... but... he won a cup in st louis!!!

Toronto fans gonna be Toronto fans... Always b%$#@#ing anything Montreal does for no reason. Offseasons are traditionally long, I know...
HabsForEver liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I recall a few months ago quite a controversy here on CapFriendly over whether Boston's John Moore was worth a fifth, or entirely worthless. Well, Carolina got a fifth for Edmundson, and Montreal signed him for $750,000 more, so is everyone satisfied that now we have the answer?

At least this is an NHL defenseman. Moore isn't. But both are bad.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.

Habs fans lol. Bergevin has been alright, but this is far from a great move. The entire league knows it but y'all still trying to defend it?
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:40 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
I was predicting you'd be getting paid 6x6 at this point in your career but hey... your still young.

See you again next summer Joel!
Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Sep. 17, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.
Lots of negativity on here with regards to the trade/contract lol I'm just trying to trying to make sense of it and actually look at both pros and cons. So here it goes:

Bergevin basically just gave him the same deal he gave Chiarot. The extra year is just Chiarot was 28 when he signed for 3, Edmundson is 27 signed for 4. Both will finish their contract at age 31. Either way I think it's 1 or 2 years too many (con), but the AAV actually seems market value (looking at Scandella contract), so I'm surprised MTL didn't "overpay" in terms of AAV like they normally have to (pro), which explains they extra term. Not trying to compare the two, but Bergevin is obviously trying to emulate the same success he had with Chiarot with Edmundson. No guarantee it'll happen, but I won't be quick to judge.

One interesting aspect that those hating on this trade/contract seem to want to ignore (or maybe they just didn't do their homework) is that Edmundson has performed extremely well in the playoffs his entire career (53 career playoff games). I see all the analytical struggles during the season that everyone seems to love pointing out, which is obviously a concern (con), but it goes almost the opposite direction come playoff time (pro). Even this past playoffs, with only 4 games (missed games to injury or being "unfit to play"), Edmundson analytically performed better than most of his Dmen teammates and played over 23minutes a game...

Also, for those mentioning CAR were going to let him walk anyway, 100% they would of kept him over Gardiner if they weren't stuck with his contract.

Anyways, if Bergevin / Julien plan on consistently playing him in a top 4 role, this is a risky move. Too risky imo. But my bet is that they are hoping Romanov meets their expectations and they can slot Edmundson on their 3rd pairing, which is a definite upgrade over the abysmal guys Habs had during the past playoffs (Mete-Ouellet.....ugh). My verdict is that it's not a good move, but not a bad one either, and there's potential for it to go either way. I guess we'll see.
Sportnilsson, OldNYIfan, habitantlecolon and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Also, for those mentioning CAR were going to let him walk anyway, 100% they would of kept him over Gardiner if they weren't stuck with his contract

aChyK0x.png

Gardiner was a good 3rd pairing d-man.

Edmundson was trash on every pairing. In fact, he found a way to make Slavin and Pesce bad when he played with them.
OldNYIfan, kaljakori, bhavikp27 and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 3:08 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
aChyK0x.png

Gardiner was a good 3rd pairing d-man.

Edmundson was trash on every pairing. In fact, he found a way to make Slavin and Pesce bad when he played with them.

I know that's why I said:

Quoting: Blazingbat11
I see all the analytical struggles during the season that everyone seems to love pointing out, which is obviously a concern.

Wasn't Gardiner a healthy scratch in the playoffs???

Anyways, Obviously Edmundson struggled in CAR. That isn't what Bergevin is banking on. He's going off of his playoff success and his time in STL. Take a look, this was the year before he went to CAR:

szRYldu.jpg
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 5:47 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
Literally another Alzner. Terrible contract.

Literally? Is his mother an Alzner? How are they related?
Sep. 17, 2020 at 6:41 a.m.
Le patriote
Plusieurs ici parlent du contrat et de son coût ou encore du joueur à 5vs5 chez les Canes, mais personne parle avec qui il jouera ou encore du système défensif du CH. La Caroline à 5vs5 est une vraie passoire, sans constance et souvent dans sa zone. C'est oui une équipe qui a fait les séries mais qui l'an prochain aura de la difficulté à se classer à l'inverse du ch qui lui remontera vers le top 10 de la ligue. On manquait un Emelin (oui une meilleure comparaison que Alzner ou Gardiner) dans notre formation et on en a un. Edmunson - Petry / Chiarot - Weber ça donne pas loin de 42-45 minutes de jeu par partie ce qui donnera entre 15 et 18 minutes de jeu à notre 3e pairs défensive et ce sans mettre trop de pression sur la d-corp. On cherche à reposer nos joueurs et quantifier le temps de jeu. Edmundson est à 3,5 un excellent contrat sachant que d'ici 2 ans la masse fera un autre bond (ente 5 et 8 millions) ...

Tous ces commentaires négatifs en anglais ne prennent que le gars individuellement et le contrat, mais ne regarde pas où il vient boucher des trous dans notre système. Bin franchement on voit que les gens ne décrochent pas encore du vieux modèle de hockey. Ils vont faire le saut cette saison quand ils vont voir les autres équipes en baver en fond de territoire. Pis les séries seront encore plus joyeuse si tout nos jeunes imitent KK ... ça va barder!
Sep. 17, 2020 at 7:01 a.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
Well, 7 goals would have made him the best goalscorer amongst the Toronto defense squad and second to Krug in Boston (by 2).

You see what fits you. I'll do the same...

So you acquired him to score goals? How about when he doesn't score nad has to play a shift in the d-zone

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit