Forums/Armchair-GM

So here we are

Created by: jnowariak
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 16, 2020
Published: Sep. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What comes next? Guerin said Rask is going to get a shot so no buy out. Dumba is going to bring something back and Greenway/Kunin likely go with him. Menell is ripping it up in Russia so I have to assume he goes too. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
3$1,250,000
3$2,500,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,907,758$0$925,000$10,592,242
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
MarJo is like Drouin. He can play centre, but sucks at it.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
CGY
I really feel like CGY will be interested in Dumba.

I think they'd offer Monahan for Dumba and Kunin
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:47 p.m.
What's the ask on Greenway? Giving up on him would be a mistake IMO.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
Quoting: MGK

I could see Greenway being part of a deal for Domi. The Staal move makes me think he’s done in Minnesota regardless of the potential.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: ItWasIn
I really feel like CGY will be interested in Dumba.

I think they'd offer Monahan for Dumba and Kunin

I feel like we'd want more tbh, for a supposed 20 goal 50 point dman he certainly wasn't very impressive this year, at least Mony was still on pace for 25 goals and this was his down year. I would almost rather trade Mony for futures anyway, Minny has some intriguing pieces (9oa, Khovanov, Addison, Beckman). But we need a 1C replacement regardless
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
Gotta get a 1C in return for Dumba/Greenway/Kunin. Eriksson Ek is a good option for 2C, but MoJo is by no means a 1C.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
Minnesota_Sabres
Quoting: MGK

Personally, I hated his play in the play-in round. He hasn't learned to use his size effectively and I think he has more trade value than actual value
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: Alfie11
I feel like we'd want more tbh, for a supposed 20 goal 50 point dman he certainly wasn't very impressive this year, at least Mony was still on pace for 25 goals and this was his down year. I would almost rather trade Mony for futures anyway, Minny has some intriguing pieces (9oa, Khovanov, Addison, Beckman). But we need a 1C replacement regardless

I get where you're coming from.

I just feel like Dumba is someone Treliving would really want and I can honestly see the Flames acquiring him.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.

I just feel like Dumba is someone Treliving would really want and I can honestly see the Flames acquiring him.

Yeah I can too, a long term top 4 of Valimaki-Andersson Hanifin-Dumba sounds great, but we're already weak up the middle, so there would need to be a plan in place to fix that. Maybe we do Hanifin for Domi straight up, move Lindholm over, and sign Hall to solidify the top 6? Johnny-Lindholm-Tkachuk Hall-Domi-Mangiapane? We could probably make that cap work if we dealt Backlund and/or Ryan. Idk, it's just strange to be dealing our only true top 6 C
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:03 p.m.
Yeah I can too, a long term top 4 of Valimaki-Andersson Hanifin-Dumba sounds great, but we're already weak up the middle, so there would need to be a plan in place to fix that. Maybe we do Hanifin for Domi straight up, move Lindholm over, and sign Hall to solidify the top 6? Johnny-Lindholm-Tkachuk Hall-Domi-Mangiapane? We could probably make that cap work if we dealt Backlund and/or Ryan. Idk, it's just strange to be dealing our only true top 6 C

I think you hit in the reason why the Monahan move doesn’t sit well for the Flames and I don’t think the Wild will put up the extra assets for him. I think they will move for a younger top 6 guy with room to grow into. Risk for risk.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:10 p.m.

I think they should and will take a solid run at him. And if they can get Dumba & Kunin for Monahan (maybe some depth parts or picks to balance things out for both teams), they should and would do that. At which point they would permanently shift Lindholm to C and that would open the door to having a realistic run at Hall. Lindholm, Backlund, Bennett & Ryan at C is pretty solid. Tkatchuk & Hall gives us an elite top 6 LW. Mang, Dube & Kunin are all middle 6 RW, but package Gaudreau + and you could likley acquire the long sought after RW we need (or keep Gaudreau, shift Hall to RW and have a pleasant problem of a logjam of solid RWers.) Then Gio & Dumba, Hanafin/OEL & Andersson is an elite top 4 and the roster as a whole is much better than last year. Deeper, more balanced talent much more flexibilty.

The whole need to bring back a 1C in the same trade we part with Monahan is ludicrous, shortsighted and completely unrealistic.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:19 p.m.

So we just are are going to make this one trade and completely stop making trades from then on? No more drafting either? I think there's a chance we could be letting perfect be the enemy of good here. It's not like either team is giving the other garbage. Both are needing a change in direction and in a perfect world, neither would trade either of the players. But Both would be getting marginally/incrementally better and dealing from a position of strength. CGY has Lindholm who may be arguably better suited for 1C (especially if they don't trade Johnny) and need a top 6 right handed RD that can be impactful now while they consider themselves in their competitive window. There may be a few other options, but not many, and not such a natural fit. Minnesota needs a Top 6 C. They aren't getting a Matthews, MacKinnon etc but this is a clear upgrade and they are dealing from an area of depth. It's not perfect for either team, but no trade ever is.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
Quoting: Different_Perspective_85
So we just are are going to make this one trade and completely stop making trades from then on? No more drafting either? I think there's a chance we could be letting perfect be the enemy of good here. It's not like either team is giving the other garbage. Both are needing a change in direction and in a perfect world, neither would trade either of the players. But Both would be getting marginally/incrementally better and dealing from a position of strength. CGY has Lindholm who may be arguably better suited for 1C (especially if they don't trade Johnny) and need a top 6 right handed RD that can be impactful now while they consider themselves in their competitive window. There may be a few other options, but not many, and not such a natural fit. Minnesota needs a Top 6 C. They aren't getting a Matthews, MacKinnon etc but this is a clear upgrade and they are dealing from an area of depth. It's not perfect for either team, but no trade ever is.

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that because we are not dealing from a position of strength, we need to have a replacement prepared involving our strengths (namely LD). Lindholm may be better suited for 1C than Monahan or he may not be able to handle 1C minutes full time, we don't know. Gambling on that and leaving Backlund at 2C (love the guy, but he's not good enough for that) would be poor planning on GMBT's part, so there would have to be a deal in place to bring in at least a legitimate 2C before we could consider trading Monahan.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that because we are not dealing from a position of strength, we need to have a replacement prepared involving our strengths (namely LD). Lindholm may be better suited for 1C than Monahan or he may not be able to handle 1C minutes full time, we don't know. Gambling on that and leaving Backlund at 2C (love the guy, but he's not good enough for that) would be poor planning on GMBT's part, so there would have to be a deal in place to bring in at least a legitimate 2C before we could consider trading Monahan.

I like and totally understand the rationale and I absolutely agree that would be the most ideal. I just don't think it's feasible to orchestrate in that order. For the sake of conversation, if a Dumba & Kunin for Monahan WERE to transpire what/who would you suggest is available to target for a top 6 C? Is there a FA available you'd take a flyer on? Would trading a package including Gaudreau & Hanafin/Gio/Kylington &/or picks get you one if you aren't comfortable with Lindholm to C? I know that it isn't a deal that exists in a vacuum.

I ask (quite sincerely) because here is a corresponding trade &/or FA signing required but that was always going to be the case anyway, regardless of it's this trade or something else (if it even includes Monahan or Gaudreau). This would just fill a different need/hole and there would be a shift in focus as to what this team needs. There seems to be this attitude/expectation that we are somehow going to get better without change, (I haven't seen 1 post that involves trading Gaudreau or Monahan you have liked. The most generous you've been is saying "close") they are going to get a top 4 D for spare parts or nothing and solve all of the significant holes in this roster in one move. For some reason there is also this notion that each team needs to "win" the trade on the surface and it just doesn't work like that.
Sep. 16, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
CGY

Monahan is such a divisive player. I can see both sides of the debate, of whether or not him or Gaudreau should go.

I agree Monahan is the Flames best C. He's not a #1C, but on this team he is. That creates a big hole. It comes down to whether or not the Flames think Lindholm can fill that hole. Again, that's a hotly debated topic.

The other side of the coin is that yes Monahan is a C, but he is essentially a winger with the way he plays. There are many fans that believe that a Gaudreau trade would hurt the club more than Monahan, because of how much offence 13 creates.

It will be fascinating to see what happens, because 2 years ago there was a very similar debate on the Flames blueline, do they trade Brodie or Hamilton? It felt like Brodie at the time and right now it feels like Gaudreau, but just like how it ended up being Hamilton, I could see it being Monahan that is shipped out.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 7:14 a.m.
Quoting: Different_Perspective_85
I like and totally understand the rationale and I absolutely agree that would be the most ideal. I just don't think it's feasible to orchestrate in that order. For the sake of conversation, if a Dumba & Kunin for Monahan WERE to transpire what/who would you suggest is available to target for a top 6 C? Is there a FA available you'd take a flyer on? Would trading a package including Gaudreau & Hanafin/Gio/Kylington &/or picks get you one if you aren't comfortable with Lindholm to C? I know that it isn't a deal that exists in a vacuum.

I ask (quite sincerely) because here is a corresponding trade &/or FA signing required but that was always going to be the case anyway, regardless of it's this trade or something else (if it even includes Monahan or Gaudreau). This would just fill a different need/hole and there would be a shift in focus as to what this team needs. There seems to be this attitude/expectation that we are somehow going to get better without change, (I haven't seen 1 post that involves trading Gaudreau or Monahan you have liked. The most generous you've been is saying "close") they are going to get a top 4 D for spare parts or nothing and solve all of the significant holes in this roster in one move. For some reason there is also this notion that each team needs to "win" the trade on the surface and it just doesn't work like that.

Yeah part of the problem is several teams need a top 6 C (WPG, CGY, MIN, CBJ, probly NSH lol, NYR off the top of my head) and there’s none in free agency (Granlund is better at 2LW, and Haula is a 3C, and those are probably the best options). The only ones that might be available via trade/offer sheet are Domi, the Stromes, and Cirelli. Of those I would only want Domi or Cirelli honestly so options are limited, unless we go big with a Gaudreau package deal with one of our LD for some 1C trade (and yeah that obviously just doesn’t happen out of nowhere). I am open to shakeups I just hate when people make offers worse than the Zucker trade for Gaudreau. Like it’s decent roster player + fringe NHLer + 1st? Not a chance. There have been a few Johnny/Mony trades I’ve liked but people on here generally want to severely underpay and the organization still likes them both so they don’t HAVE to be traded. We don’t have to outright win the trade but we can’t afford to lose it. We have to get something good back, either an elite prospect in a futures package or a top 6 forward/top 4 RD.

Monahan is such a divisive player. I can see both sides of the debate, of whether or not him or Gaudreau should go.

I agree Monahan is the Flames best C. He's not a #1C, but on this team he is. That creates a big hole. It comes down to whether or not the Flames think Lindholm can fill that hole. Again, that's a hotly debated topic.

The other side of the coin is that yes Monahan is a C, but he is essentially a winger with the way he plays. There are many fans that believe that a Gaudreau trade would hurt the club more than Monahan, because of how much offence 13 creates.

It will be fascinating to see what happens, because 2 years ago there was a very similar debate on the Flames blueline, do they trade Brodie or Hamilton? It felt like Brodie at the time and right now it feels like Gaudreau, but just like how it ended up being Hamilton, I could see it being Monahan that is shipped out.

Yeah if I’m being honest, I would prefer to trade Monahan, the Flames offense runs through Gaudreau and he’s the better player, it’s just tough to win without C depth and Johnny might be the only way we can acquire a top one. Interested to see what Treliving does this summer, he’s gotta feel like he’s close to the hot seat so hopefully he makes a couple improvements

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll