SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2020-21 Season Start

When will the season start?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
It has just been announced that the World Juniors will happen in the Edmonton bubble. This is good for junior players to be able to showcase themselves in an important tournament, and also just be able to play hockey, since we don’t know what’s happening with the CHL.

I think this could give us an idea as to when the NHL is planning to return, since the Oilers wouldn’t be able to access their facilities until mid-January. So either the NHL doesn’t plan to return until mid-January, or the less than ideal idea of the Oilers relocating their training camp, and playing the first month and a half of the season on the road. Although I’d lean more towards the first option being likely.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
torontos finest
I think the NHL and NBA are going to push for some sort of bubble system to being in December. Not sure what the structure of it is going to be, but I'd imagine we'd see a lot of games up in Canada.
Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
I think the NHL and NBA are going to push for some sort of bubble system to being in December. Not sure what the structure of it is going to be, but I'd imagine we'd see a lot of games up in Canada.

for playoffs i think it was understood that owners and players wanted to recoop as much of the lost revenue as possible. i think for next season, theres no chance players spend months from their families. and i doubt their families want to spend months in a bubble.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: hanson493
for playoffs i think it was understood that owners and players wanted to recoop as much of the lost revenue as possible. i think for next season, theres no chance players spend months from their families. and i doubt their families want to spend months in a bubble.

Owners are 100% going to push for a season next year, a shortened season will already equal lost revenue and they won't want to dally on that longer than they have to.

If the US gets their **** together by December, they could always do a closed doors system where the season would operate as normal, except no attendances. However, there are complications due to travelling across the border and players will need to get frequent checks.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Owners are 100% going to push for a season next year, a shortened season will already equal lost revenue and they won't want to dally on that longer than they have to.

If the US gets their **** together by December, they could always do a closed doors system where the season would operate as normal, except no attendances. However, there are complications due to travelling across the border and players will need to get frequent checks.

More likely is that there is no border crossing, and the Canadian teams just play eachother, while all the American teams are split into 3 other divisions. It wouldn’t be ideal by any means, but there won’t be an issue with border crossing.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Just going off of how close they are, if there is indeed a Canadian division, I’d expect the divisions to look something like this: (teams are ordered by this year’s points percentage)

“Canadian”
1. EDM
2. TOR
3. VAN
4. CGY
5. WPG
6. MTL
7. OTT

“East”
1. BOS
2. WSH
3. PHI
4. PIT
5. NYI
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. NJD

“Central”
1. TBL
2. CAR
3. CBJ
4. FLA
5. NSH
6. MIN
7. CHI
8. DET

“West”
1. STL
2. COL
3. VGK
4. DAL
5. ARI
6. ANA
7. LAK
8. SJS
Sep. 17, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.

Dude the president of the united states wants to try herd immunity. you think the u.s is going to have the crap together? nfl has 20% of fans at games. FIRST GAME THEY HAVE FANS theres a guy whos positive in attendance.
Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: hanson493
Dude the president of the united states wants to try herd immunity. you think the u.s is going to have the crap together? nfl has 20% of fans at games. FIRST GAME THEY HAVE FANS theres a guy whos positive in attendance.

my optimism is once again defeated
Sep. 17, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
my optimism is once again defeated

i should rephrase too... because not every team has 20%. just some. but yeah thats not a good look for sports.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 5:13 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
AHL is starting December 1st, so every single player with a two way contract is gonna be there if they NHL holds off. I think it’ll start Dec 1st as well. The big challenge is obviously what to do. Bubbles are an option, but again, players are away from their families for a long time. And if they’re coming out of the bubble to see their families frequently, that’s four weeks quarantine to start playing again. Yeesh

Honestly, this is a bit of a puzzle. I obviously like @Kotkaniemi15 s division ideas, that is probably the most realistic option.

My two cents is this. I would like if they used @Kotkaniemi15 s divisions but only played in their division, which is maybe what he meant. Anyway, wild card still counts because this I see the NHL, and a playoff bubble is probably inevitable.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 6:51 p.m.
What in tarnation
I'll be an extreme pessimist and say that they won't play NHL next year simply because they can't guarantee player/personnel safety due to the political stance of US regarding the virus. KHL already is a mess. I've seen if first hand living here in Finland. The only Finnish team of KHL, Jokerit Helsinki, is currently unable to participate in the league because the Finnish law requires for them to quarantine for 14 days since they allegedly were exposed to covid during a game against Neftehimik, because allegedly part of Neftehimik's players tested positive for the virus after the game. None of Jokerit's players have tested positive afterwards btw. KHL as a league is already fed up with Jokerit due to this inconvenience, but there's pretty much nothing they can do about it...

I don't really think NHL teams could mess with things the same way. And if the teams can't even let fans to their games, we're talking about a bigger issue. Not to even mention the fact that the border crossing might be an impossibility as well.

And for the love of god I hope I'm wrong about this...
Kotkaniemi15 and Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 9:15 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsFan9
AHL is starting December 1st, so every single player with a two way contract is gonna be there if they NHL holds off. I think it’ll start Dec 1st as well. The big challenge is obviously what to do. Bubbles are an option, but again, players are away from their families for a long time. And if they’re coming out of the bubble to see their families frequently, that’s four weeks quarantine to start playing again. Yeesh

Honestly, this is a bit of a puzzle. I obviously like @Kotkaniemi15 s division ideas, that is probably the most realistic option.

My two cents is this. I would like if they used @Kotkaniemi15 s divisions but only played in their division, which is maybe what he meant. Anyway, wild card still counts because this I see the NHL, and a playoff bubble is probably inevitable.

Yeah, the teams would need to play within their divisions. I wouldn’t love it as a habs fan, because our division would be a lot harder, but at least it’s an option where we can play.
Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 9:27 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: justaBoss
I'll be an extreme pessimist and say that they won't play NHL next year simply because they can't guarantee player/personnel safety due to the political stance of US regarding the virus. KHL already is a mess. I've seen if first hand living here in Finland. The only Finnish team of KHL, Jokerit Helsinki, is currently unable to participate in the league because the Finnish law requires for them to quarantine for 14 days since they allegedly were exposed to covid during a game against Neftehimik, because allegedly part of Neftehimik's players tested positive for the virus after the game. None of Jokerit's players have tested positive afterwards btw. KHL as a league is already fed up with Jokerit due to this inconvenience, but there's pretty much nothing they can do about it...

I don't really think NHL teams could mess with things the same way. And if the teams can't even let fans to their games, we're talking about a bigger issue. Not to even mention the fact that the border crossing might be an impossibility as well.

And for the love of god I hope I'm wrong about this...

I think the NHL should be able to play. It should work if we just have games between Canadian teams. I’m not as confident for the American teams, but maybe a potential change in presidency could help. They might not be able to have any fans to start, but it’s probably better financially to play without fans rather than not playing at all. Especially with the potential of some fans watching later in the season. The league would be set back financially for a long time, but there’s nothing that can prevent that now.

I’m more worried about the AHL, especially the teams that aren’t part of their NHL franchise. I don’t know how that league would be able to function without at least some fans. Not to mention the questions about the Canadian teams, because they won’t be able to make a Canadian division, both because of the number of teams and the travel. I don’t know how they can make it work.
justaBoss liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 9:37 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I think the NHL should be able to play. It should work if we just have games between Canadian teams. I’m not as confident for the American teams, but maybe a potential change in presidency could help. They might not be able to have any fans to start, but it’s probably better financially to play without fans rather than not playing at all. Especially with the potential of some fans watching later in the season. The league would be set back financially for a long time, but there’s nothing that can prevent that now.

I’m more worried about the AHL, especially the teams that aren’t part of their NHL franchise. I don’t know how that league would be able to function without at least some fans. Not to mention the questions about the Canadian teams, because they won’t be able to make a Canadian division, both because of the number of teams and the travel. I don’t know how they can make it work.

Think if AHL will not be played, NHL will probably implement a cap relief system of sorts, something like that teams can roll up with 25-30 players with only 23 of them affecting cap or something like that, because it'd be quite inconvenient for the teams to loan all their players to Europe and call them back if there were a case of injuries that like, for example, CBJ had this year. Think they had 9 players on IR at the same...
Kotkaniemi15 and Remus liked this.
Sep. 17, 2020 at 9:42 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: justaBoss
Think if AHL will not be played, NHL will probably implement a cap relief system of sorts, something like that teams can roll up with 25-30 players with only 23 of them affecting cap or something like that, because it'd be quite inconvenient for the teams to loan all their players to Europe and call them back if there were a case of injuries that like, for example, CBJ had this year. Think they had 9 players on IR at the same...

This should also apply for the covid positive players, because there's certainly gonna be some cases when they're not playing in the bubble as well...
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit