Forums/Armchair-GM

Possible Moves OffseasonSeason Outlook

Created by: buchnevich89
Team: 2020-21 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 18, 2020
Published: Sep. 18, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Goalies- Keep Georgiev. 1A/1B systems are ideal. Less wear over the course of a season. Goalie market is flooded this year, the assets that would be gained from trading Georgiev this season would most likely not be worth the loss of a 24 yr old G who has that level of talent.

Defense- In an ideal world the Rangers would have a more servicable 6-7 (As opposed to Smith/Staal) but I do not believe the Rangers will be able to move either one of them this offseason. Smith is more likely to be dealt because his 4.25 cap hit only consists of about ~2M in salary which could be attractive to a team who wants to spend as little as possible (Ottawa), however he is a much more capable player at this stage of his career than Staal. Both of them come off the books next season where that money can be put to better use.
Adding Vince Dunn would be huge for the Rangers. Again my price may be off for what his value is, but I'd imagine it is with-in that sort of range.
For the holes in DeAngelo's game, his style of play fits the Rangers style like a glove. High tempo- skill- one of the best stretch passers in the league. I would not mind signing him long-term, I really like his game and moving forward I think if they can acquire a LD who can play a shutdown role and as time goes along and they become a better defensive team, I think the deal will work.
Rangers also have K'Andre Miller in the system who has a real shot of getting looks throughout the season. If Smith/Staal are really struggling and Miller is showing he is NHL ready, they'd be foolish not to give him consistent minutes.

Forwards- ROLL 4 LINES!! Last year the Rangers bottom 6 was one of the downfalls of the team. Their top 6 was very good, and could compete with basically any team on any given night. Acquiring a few quality bottom 6 forwards who are above replacement level will add a few points in the standings for this team. Adding Laf on the LW is a big move and there is reason to believe he will be an above replacement forward given his skill set. Extremely small sample size, but I liked Kakko against Carolina. Me being a fan of him certainly clouds my judgement, but I believe he will be an above replacement level player this year.
I believe the Rangers will sign Strome for 2 years. He is a fine top 9 center who provides offense. I personally would rather sign him for 2 years (same amount Zib has left) than leave a hole at 2-3C and acquire a mediocre asset like a mid 2nd round pick.
Appleton and Stephenson are two KIND players I would like to see the Rangers acquire. Not saying these are the only two guys I'd like to see them get but I feel the Rangers really lacked forward depth last year and these are two undervalued players in today's game.

Overall I believe the 2020-2021 season is all about development for the younger players. I'd say the team has a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs, but they will be entertaining to watch. The 2021-22 season has a lot more potential for a better team with a lot of deadweight coming off the books, a year of development for prospects + Shattenkirk's buyout will drop down to about 1M. The prospect pool looks promising with players like Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Miller headlining the group.
Acquiring Dunn+Laf, and resigning TDA this offseason will really help the team long-term, and the resigning of Strome + forward depth acquisitions should help the team remain competitive for the short team.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
1$1,000,000
1$875,000
6$4,750,000
5$5,250,000
2$4,500,000
2$850,000
2$1,850,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Lafreniere, Alexis
3$925,000
Trades
NYR
ANA
  1. Lundqvist, Henrik
Additional Details:
Let's assume Hank retires
NYR
  1. Dunn, Vince [RFA Rights]
STL
  1. Robertson, Matthew
  2. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Acquiring Dunn makes sense for the Rangers. Good on the rush, can play a shutdown role. I'll assume that my offer needs a little boost to finalize the deal, but I think Carolina's pick will most likely be involved based on trades we have seen in the past.
NYR
  1. Appleton, Mason [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Howden, Brett
Additional Details:
Perhaps a bit of a pipe-dream but Appleton would provided value to the Rangers bottom 6 forwards, a very solid player in transition as well as being a defensively sound player.
NYR
VGK
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (DAL)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Good 7-12 forward for a team who needs F depth
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,994,800$0$7,212,500$1,505,200
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Lafreniere, Alexis
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the New York Rangers
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
G
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 18, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
I doubt Vegas moves Stephenson if he is willing to take 1.8m. The 3rd is nice but he's too versatile.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
A bit too much for Dunn and Appleton.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 4:45 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Sagecoll

I dunno, packages like that will get a team a rental winger at the deadline, hard to imagine the Blues being happy with it for a 23 yr old RFA d-man that shows no signs of slowing down. I guess it depends on their projection of Perunovich, but at the moment our left side would be pretty hard to watch without Dunn.
BigDaddyThor liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
I dunno, packages like that will get a team a rental winger at the deadline, hard to imagine the Blues being happy with it for a 23 yr old RFA d-man that shows no signs of slowing down. I guess it depends on their projection of Perunovich, but at the moment our left side would be pretty hard to watch without Dunn.

Yeah I mean the numbers look great, but I have a tough time seeing GM's throwing a ton at Dunn. Personally I like him and think he's great, but at the cost you're paying for him you'd like someone who can play tough matchups and the PK. Obviously the Blues coaching staff didn't really feel comfortable enough with Dunn in his own zone to put him in those tougher situations consistently and I think that definitely raises a red flag for a lot of folks in front offices.

I think if he was able to replicate a similar performance while playing 20 mins a night and on the PK against the other team's top 6 for a full season then yeah throw the bag at him. But that hasn't been the case thus far and more-so than other players, Dunn's usage is definitely a concern for the high cost it would probably take to acquire.

Also just as an aside, Robertson's a really good prospect that I don't think the team wants to deal.
A_K liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 6:22 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Yeah I mean the numbers look great, but I have a tough time seeing GM's throwing a ton at Dunn. Personally I like him and think he's great, but at the cost you're paying for him you'd like someone who can play tough matchups and the PK. Obviously the Blues coaching staff didn't really feel comfortable enough with Dunn in his own zone to put him in those tougher situations consistently and I think that definitely raises a red flag for a lot of folks in front offices.

I think if he was able to replicate a similar performance while playing 20 mins a night and on the PK against the other team's top 6 for a full season then yeah throw the bag at him. But that hasn't been the case thus far and more-so than other players, Dunn's usage is definitely a concern for the high cost it would probably take to acquire.

Also just as an aside, Robertson's a really good prospect that I don't think the team wants to deal.

That's a valid opinion - he has been really sheltered, but I don't like to totally blame the players for coaching decisions. On a different team with a different coach he probably blossoms into a more meaningful player at this point in his career, when you look at his skating and skill on the puck. The Blues have been really conservative with him so I see it as a lot of upside to grow into versus any hindrance in his game that is holding him back. Doesn't really matter what I think though, I could see other teams worried about the easy usage.

I've been reading up on Robertson a little and I probably underrated his offense. I thought when they drafted him he was more of the big bully type of junior guys that don't always project so well.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
That's a valid opinion - he has been really sheltered, but I don't like to totally blame the players for coaching decisions. On a different team with a different coach he probably blossoms into a more meaningful player at this point in his career, when you look at his skating and skill on the puck. The Blues have been really conservative with him so I see it as a lot of upside to grow into versus any hindrance in his game that is holding him back. Doesn't really matter what I think though, I could see other teams worried about the easy usage.

I've been reading up on Robertson a little and I probably underrated his offense. I thought when they drafted him he was more of the big bully type of junior guys that don't always project so well.

yeah definitely don't want to blame the player. Just like a ton of risk involved in such a big investment, and it seems like this year with all the crazy financials, teams are probably going to be pretty conservative. What I'm more curious about is if you're able to clear Bozak's $$ and get Dunn a bridge if the usage is actually going to change at all in 2 seasons. We could easily find ourselves back at this spot with Dunn in 2 years heh.

I don't blame the presumption with Robertson, most people see the 6-4 height and think stay at home guy, but he's a real solid skater. Would probably compare him to Dumoulin in terms of that kind of big, smooth 2way conservative play. Right now he's the #1 Dman playing All situations on the best team in the WHL, that's promising.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
VGKNation702
Quoting: DillBaley
I doubt Vegas moves Stephenson if he is willing to take 1.8m. The 3rd is nice but he's too versatile.

Bingo. This is one of those where the cost would have to out weigh what he brings to us.
DillBaley liked this.
Sep. 18, 2020 at 6:56 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
yeah definitely don't want to blame the player. Just like a ton of risk involved in such a big investment, and it seems like this year with all the crazy financials, teams are probably going to be pretty conservative. What I'm more curious about is if you're able to clear Bozak's $$ and get Dunn a bridge if the usage is actually going to change at all in 2 seasons. We could easily find ourselves back at this spot with Dunn in 2 years heh.

I don't blame the presumption with Robertson, most people see the 6-4 height and think stay at home guy, but he's a real solid skater. Would probably compare him to Dumoulin in terms of that kind of big, smooth 2way conservative play. Right now he's the #1 Dman playing All situations on the best team in the WHL, that's promising.

IMO Dunn's money was cleared in the Allen trade and any more cap moves hinge on what Pietrangelo wants to do. So yeah if Pietrangelo extends somehow its basically a 2 yr tryout for Perunovich to replace Dunn so he could def be more available after a bridge deal.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
buchnevich89

a bit too much for appleton?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll