Forums/Armchair-GM

Re signing Ovi And A Eagle on The Wing

Created by: deledted_12_231
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 19, 2020
Published: Sep. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wow! I thought I had a great idea, but before doing any real significant work on this roster, I came to realize it wasn't happening. Oomph!! Cap Hell.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,500,000
3$6,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$11,111,111
Trades
WSH
    Seattle Draft
    VAN
    1. Oshie, T.J.
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (WSH)
    Additional Details:
    2nd to entice Seattle to take Oshie
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$70,164,872$472,927$265,000$11,335,128
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $11,111,111$11,111,111
    LW
    UFA - 5
    $9,200,000$9,200,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,166,667$5,166,667
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,415,000$2,415,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $716,667$716,667
    G
    UFA - 1
    $791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
    Steve
    Is Sam really worth a $6 million bridge deal? The kid’s only played 26 games in the NHL. I don’t follow WSH so just curios to what the chatter thinks. I figured 2x 2to3million was more what he’d get.
    NLidstrom liked this.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Stevierebz
    Is Sam really worth a $6 million bridge deal? The kid’s only played 26 games in the NHL. I don’t follow WSH so just curios to what the chatter thinks. I figured 2x 2to3million was more what he’d get.

If he plays well this year, along side with the fact he ran Holtby out of town, He is going to demand at least 5.5.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
    HutsonNorlinderGuhle
    40 year old Ovie is not worth McDavid money
    deys3232 liked this.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
    Hockee
    Id rather let Ovi walk than pay him that much
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:31 p.m.
    Quoting: deys3232
    Id rather let Ovi walk than pay him that much

Really? Damn I'd overpay him after everything he's done in WSH
    Eli, villenash and Kalopsia liked this.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:35 p.m.
    Hockee
    Quoting: theBeer_Leaguer
    Really? Damn I'd overpay him after everything he's done in WSH

The NHL is a business. I get hes done a ton, but hes also earned tens of millions of dollars by the caps. Hes won a cup, hes had a fantastic career. But its not worth paying a player for who they were (look at seabrook and vlasic). Signing Ovi for big money will ruin the caps future, the cup window has pretty much closed. All the top guys are declining. Its best to trade/let walk all the top guys and undergo a quick rebuild. Be ready for the future
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: Stevierebz

This is how other teams would approach this. Look at Nashville and Columbus locking up great young goalies super cheap. Look at Calgary signing their backup to a decent backup salary after he had a year that was on a level with Holtby.

Quoting: Ciccarelli22andOvi8
    If he plays well this year, along side with the fact he ran Holtby out of town, He is going to demand at least 5.5.

Holtby had an off year. That doesn't mean Samsonov is better than Vanecek. Copley played pretty good as Holtby's backup the year before. Had stats almost on par with Quick for his season. Copley and Vanecek are healthy. Samsonov missed the playoffs with an undisclosed injury, so as an outsider, I have to give an edge to Vanecek and Copley for the #1 job out of camp. I figure the team signs a $1M UFA goalie to play in parts of 40 games and be exposed in the expansion draft. Samsonov gets into another 20-30 games to keep developing and, barring a 16 win playoff, signs 2 yearsx2.5M next summer.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:43 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    If you wait until next summer to sign Vrana's long term deal, and he does well, yeah, you're looking at the above or more. But then there's the Tuch approach. Take an overperforming middle six player and agree to pay him like a good middle six player for a long, long time. Could go well. Could go badly. But then there's no risk in moving him up the lineup if he does well.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Eli
    This is how other teams would approach this. Look at Nashville and Columbus locking up great young goalies super cheap. Look at Calgary signing their backup to a decent backup salary after he had a year that was on a level with Holtby.

Holtby had an off year. That doesn't mean Samsonov is better than Vanecek. Copley played pretty good as Holtby's backup the year before. Had stats almost on par with Quick for his season. Copley and Vanecek are healthy. Samsonov missed the playoffs with an undisclosed injury, so as an outsider, I have to give an edge to Vanecek and Copley for the #1 job out of camp. I figure the team signs a $1M UFA goalie to play in parts of 40 games and be exposed in the expansion draft. Samsonov gets into another 20-30 games to keep developing and, barring a 16 win playoff, signs 2 yearsx2.5M next summer.

What I'd really wish the Caps would do is resign Holtby at 8 x $6 . Trade Samsonov, And work on that D. By giving a mid range long term commitment to Holtby, you help with his headspace. By trading Samsonov, you are easing his mind when it comes to competition. Unleashing the Zen Holtby, that was the HOLTBEAST!!! Lol. But laughter aside, Holtby has performed his best with a heavy work load and UNLIMITED confidence. Also, pay the man for our cup please!!!
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
    Banned
    If you wait until next summer to sign Vrana's long term deal, and he does well, yeah, you're looking at the above or more. But then there's the Tuch approach. Take an overperforming middle six player and agree to pay him like a good middle six player for a long, long time. Could go well. Could go badly. But then there's no risk in moving him up the lineup if he does well.

I truly believe that Kuzy or Ovi has to go to make the cap limits the next few years. To me...if Kuzy goes, Ovi Stays. If Ovi goes, Kuzy goes. So, Sign Ovi to whatever for 4 years. Extend Vrana for $6 x 8. Just like Holtby. My horses have been hitched to Vrana since day 1. I picked him over Bura. He is gonna be an all-star 45 - 50 goal scorer. Put him on PP1 more as well.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 4:08 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    I truly believe that Kuzy or Ovi has to go to make the cap limits the next few years. To me...if Kuzy goes, Ovi Stays. If Ovi goes, Kuzy goes. So, Sign Ovi to whatever for 4 years. Extend Vrana for $6 x 8. Just like Holtby. My horses have been hitched to Vrana since day 1. I picked him over Bura. He is gonna be an all-star 45 - 50 goal scorer. Put him on PP1 more as well.

But why doesn't Washington ever use team-friendly contracts as comparables? Guys who recognize that, yeah, they're good, but they're good as part of a superstar-laden team and it benefits them to stick with it?

Is Vrana closer to Alex Tuch or Brayden Point?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alex-tuch

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brayden-point
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
    Banned
    But why doesn't Washington ever use team-friendly contracts as comparables? Guys who recognize that, yeah, they're good, but they're good as part of a superstar-laden team and it benefits them to stick with it?

Is Vrana closer to Alex Tuch or Brayden Point?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alex-tuch

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brayden-point

He is neither. Lol. I think his value is closer to Point's. But as for role, He is a Goal Scorer and under rated passer, with speed and a understanding of the game. Expand a 30-30 82 game pace out to 18-20 minutes per game with top power play time, and you have the recipe for a superstar.
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Idk what I’m looking at lmfao. Sammy gets a 2.5-3m bridge deal. I’m not paying Seattle to take a 50 point winger. That’s just stupid. Vrana will get 5m.

Players that can be traded :
    Panik : 5th
    Jensen: 2nd-4th depending on how he does this year
    Kempny: 3rd
    Hags: 4th
    Mcmichael isn’t NHL ready for 2 more years.
    Sign Boyd for 900k
    If Alexeyev is ready trade Orlov for a 1st and prospect
    Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:15 p.m.
    Quoting: deys3232
    The NHL is a business. I get hes done a ton, but hes also earned tens of millions of dollars by the caps. Hes won a cup, hes had a fantastic career. But its not worth paying a player for who they were (look at seabrook and vlasic). Signing Ovi for big money will ruin the caps future, the cup window has pretty much closed. All the top guys are declining. Its best to trade/let walk all the top guys and undergo a quick rebuild. Be ready for the future

Are you seriously comparing Ovechkin to Seabrook and Vlasic? Those guys were ancillary pieces on good teams, Ovechkin IS the Caps. You don't let the greatest goal scorer of all time walk while he's going for the goals record cause you're in a hurry to start a rebuild. You say the NHL is a business, but I don't think you understand what that means. Teams don't just single-mindedly evaluate every choice based on how it effects what the roster looks like on paper. It means factoring in the views of the fans and the players. Caps fans would riot if the team let Ovie walk, they'd be throwing away millions of dollars in ticket sales and merchandise revenue. To the players, it sends a message that the franchise doesn't reward loyalty. Guys don't want to play for a team that's gonna cut them loose as soon as the cost-benefit analysis says so. The Caps will never let Ovie walk, and it'll be the right business decision.

What I'd really wish the Caps would do is resign Holtby at 8 x $6 . Trade Samsonov, And work on that D. By giving a mid range long term commitment to Holtby, you help with his headspace. By trading Samsonov, you are easing his mind when it comes to competition. Unleashing the Zen Holtby, that was the HOLTBEAST!!! Lol. But laughter aside, Holtby has performed his best with a heavy work load and UNLIMITED confidence. Also, pay the man for our cup please!!!

Now that would be a contract on par with Seabrook and Vlasic. Outside of the cup run Holtby hasn't been an elite goalie, or even an average goalie since the 16-17 season. Giving him that 8x6M would definitely slam the window shut.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll