Created by: basicallyyakupov
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 19, 2020
Published: Sep. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
2 TRADES TO MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER

notes

- tried to be as realistic with the trades as possible. I can't see the GM's of either teams not considering this offer if proposed. Fans might carry emotional weight to the trades but on paper, tried to keep it close to reality and practicals.

- yes if TOR gets Lafreniere then we have problems in 3-4 years. ok, let future Dubus take care of that. Might mean Marner goes OR Lafreniere goes. Either way, you will get a return for either as they enter their Prime. OR, use Lafreniere's pending contract resigning as pressure to other expiring players to sign a contract earlier.

- Wayne Simmonds is trending now, but I would much rather give that spot to a Barbanov or Korshkov to try them out for the first half of the year. Maybe even Hallander. Barbanov is a for sure play. and I would like to see Korshkov as a regular on his last year of RFA.

- For people that say HOLL is not a 2nd pairing DEF. correct, HOLL is a perfect 3rd pairing DEF. However, HOLL does decently well with Muzzin so that is a good shutdown 2nd pairing. (B grade, not A grade) and Lehtonen playing on RD is an unknown yet. If Lehtonen makes strides on RD, then can move up to 2nd RD and move HOLL down. If Lehtonen is serviceable as a 3rd D then huge win for TOR. If hes better on LEFT SIDE + Sandin is shaky at the start and needs a year of development then we can move Lehtonen to 3rd RD and have enough cap space to find a 3rd pairing RD. (Liljegren stepping up would be a dream as well)

- Robertson is NOT a 2nd line frwd. I don't care what fans think after this playoff run. He is 3rd line material to play against other team's 3rd or 4th liners. Don't rush his development. But, he IS NHL ready I feel.

- Mikheyev would shine much better in a 3rd line role vs 2nd line. He will have more time to make plays and his weakness will be less apparent. Also, he can add a bit of grit and play the Hyman-role with Robertson who is very young still.

- Engvall at 4th C is whatever. Not even worth discussing. Servicable.

- Spezza at 3rd C I think is a problem for now. And I don't feel confident putting Hallander up there and making an all-rookie line. That could be disastrous. Luckily there is some cap space to find a "Kerfoot" like player for that space mid season if needbe. If Hallander can make the move, then problem solved.

- Kuemper is a great trade of Dubus exploiting Yotes troubles. With the abundance of goalies in FA this year, I think teams would be less likely to give up assets to Yotes. Yotes perspective, they maintain an All-Star goalie as starter for 1 more year before huge painful rebuild. + they gain a decent pick which I think is a gift.

- NYR trade, I believe that is very tough to say no to for NYR GM. It isn't as marquee as drafting Lafreniere, but the sum of its pieces make much more sense than a "future Panarin replacement". Keep Panarin as the marquee player and Kakko as the future spotlight.

- i dont think we need more RD depth. This is very strong set up. Lehtonen will be a stud judging from how hes performing so far in Europe. But, if we do there is around 3-4 mill in cap space to make moves before trade deadline. Better to see how these new players fit into their roles for a bit.

- LTIR players are injury relief and rotation players.

As always, would love to hear your comments and feedback and criticism. It is all good and would love to read insight to improve this mockup. And if you support then let me know as well!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,500,000
1$800,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Lafrenire, Alexis
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
will be used to pick Lafreniere. TOR needs a NHL-ready player on ELC for cap reasons.
After 3 years, future Dubas can handle that re-sign problem. (hopefully cap goes up, or trade out Marner or Laf, or whatever)

Right now, stack the team for the cup within 3-4 years.
NYR
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Nylander, William
  4. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
  5. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
NYR are high on Lafreniere and don't want to trade unless it is a haul that fixes their major issues (3C, 2RW/C/LW, 2/3LD)

Lafreniere is a luxury at LW for NYR with Panarin so this is a trade that might make their team better.

Kakko could slide down to 3rd line RW to play more sheltered minutes + PP1 to help not rush development. (bust risk is increasing)
Krieder moves down to 3rd LW

NYR has option to use #13 + #22 picks to trade up to get inside top 7 for a stud player. (a Jack Quinn, Marco Rossi, Jake Sanderson, Cole Perfetti, Dawson Mercer, Seth Jarvis, etc.)

The beginnings of a Euro-centric dynasty for NYR.
TOR
  1. Kuemper, Darcy
Additional Details:
Yotes have internal cap problems. No cash to pay player bonuses. Little leverage. TOR will take advantage to bail them out.
ARI
  1. Andersen, Frederik
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Freddie and Kuemper are comparable goalies.
Kuemper high salary cost, lower cap hit. 2 years left
Freddie low salary cost (front loaded paid), higher cap hit. 1 year left.

TBH, it is almost an even 1 to 1 trade. Anyone saying otherwise is wishful and not considering the circumstance. Adding a 1st is an overpayment. 2nd round is the correct sweetener. Both teams breathe easier now.

Yotes shed salary costs while still keeping an All-Star calibre starter.
Yotes are VERY likely entering last year of "proving it". After the expansion draft, new GM will enter a very hard rebuild. (probably the hardest rebuild NHL has ever seen)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$76,634,084$0$0$4,865,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
Lafrenire, Alexis
$925,000$925,000
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
Brock On Dudes
Wat
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
TML
read description
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
Wat
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Hockey101
Trades are actually quite good, in theory. I'd say they are fair. Rangers would improve with that deal, too. I just don't see why the Leafs would do it when they are challenging for the Cup. If Lafreniere is not ready then Leafs basically gave away three starting roster players and find themselves with holes.

Too risky.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Awful deal for the rangers. Leafs fans out to lunch as always
OldNYIfan, Mike_Gartner, Remus and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
That is not a good trade for the Rangers. Stop trying to rationalize.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.
TML
Quoting: hockey101
Trades are actually quite good, in theory. I'd say they are fair. Rangers would improve with that deal, too. I just don't see why the Leafs would do it when they are challenging for the Cup. If Lafreniere is not ready then Leafs basically gave away three starting roster players and find themselves with holes.

Too risky.

I agree the risk on Laf being not ready.
I think it is a risk worth the upside. And if that is the case, then.. push Laf down to 3rd line and move Mikheyev up to 2nd. Mikheyev is servicable at 2nd line with Tavares. No worries there.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
Mangiapane Goat
Quoting: mhockey91

Better than most if I’m honest though. At least he’s not that one guy trading marner for jack Johnson and a fourth. And being serious about it.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
TML
Quoting: TheBetterTkachuk
Better than most if I’m honest though. At least he’s not that one guy trading marner for jack Johnson and a fourth. And being serious about it.

yeah tried to see it from both sides. I think lots of fans are emotional on Lafreniere. But, just looking at it from practical point of view.

Leafs only need an NHL ready top 6 with full 3 years of ELC. Right now, Lafreniere is the only one who fits the mode but could be any one else instead tbh with package adjusted.
ex) Barret Hayton from Coyotes instead but I don't think Hayton is even worth a Nylander so that trade wont really work.
TheBetterTkachuk liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:49 p.m.
TML
Quoting: Mike_Gartner
That is not a good trade for the Rangers. Stop trying to rationalize.

it is 100% not a bad trade.
at worst it is a deal starter and best it is fair value.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
TML

you are delusional if you think this is an awful deal or a non-starter.

swap Marner for Nylander and TOR keeps their 1st round pick and NYR tosses in Georgiev or a sweetener. either way, this is something NYR would consider as it makes their team better on paper.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:54 p.m.
Quoting: basicallyyakupov
it is 100% not a bad trade.
at worst it is a deal starter and best it is fair value.

You use words like realistic but don’t take anything into account beside TML’s needs. The Rangers are a cap team next year and you just gave them $11M+ in cap without taking a penny back. Not realistic.

The Rangers don’t need a top 6 RW, a 3rd line C or at 3rd pairing dman for the #1 OA.

Next time, take your own advice and try to be more realistic.
OldNYIfan, Eli and mhockey91 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Explain to me again why Arizona would give up one year of a #1 goalie in return for a future second and $2.5 million in actual cash. Only an idiot would do that.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
TML
Quoting: Mike_Gartner
You use words like realistic but don’t take anything into account beside TML’s needs. The Rangers are a cap team next year and you just gave them $11M+ in cap without taking a penny back. Not realistic.

The Rangers don’t need a top 6 RW, a 3rd line C or at 3rd pairing dman for the #1 OA.

Rangers do need all those things.

If the value is off, whatever they can go back and forth on it. The point is, the pieces are a right fit and a conversation starter.
Next time, take your own advice and try to be more realistic.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle

swap Marner for Nylander and TOR keeps their 1st round pick and NYR tosses in Georgiev or a sweetener. either way, this is something NYR would consider as it makes their team better on paper.

the only reason that NYR trades 1OA is if a team offers up a 2C plus another high first rounder. Leafs have neither
mhockey91 and Mike_Gartner liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.

Laf is going to be one of the best players in the leauge. Let me ask you something, would you have traded Matthews for a similar package back in 2016? If the answer is no, then you’re out to lunch. And Laf probably has even more hype / promise then what Matthews had
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:59 p.m.
TML
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Explain to me again why Arizona would give up one year of a #1 goalie in return for a future second and $2.5 million in actual cash. Only an idiot would do that.

have you seen Arizona's financial situation?
Bill Armstrong will most likely go into a hard rebuild after expansion draft. I explained in description.

Kuemper and Andersen are comparable goalies. Coyotes are basically giving up 1 year for some salary relief.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 7:59 p.m.
Quoting: TheBetterTkachuk

I’d rather Marner for jack johnson and Hornqvist. At least you know he’s trolling. This is just pure stupidity
OldNYIfan, TheBetterTkachuk, Remus and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:03 p.m.
TML
Laf is going to be one of the best players in the leauge. Let me ask you something, would you have traded Matthews for a similar package back in 2016? If the answer is no, then you’re out to lunch. And Laf probably has even more hype / promise then what Matthews had

Leafs were in a different situation back in 2016. They were starting a rebuild.

NYR are transitioning to a contending team. Different needs.

If you are on the valuation argument then again, the pieces stay same but stuff can get added or moved to get the value close. Either way it is a step for both teams on paper.

PS. that being said, I 100% agree with you. There is absolutely zero chance NYR trade Laf. The press and hype is way too big theres a lot of collateral value that comes with that draft pick.
Also, for a large market team like New York, this is big publicity and will increase ticket value. I get that. For those reasons, a trade is unlikely. I am JUST talking hockey trade hypothetically.
Disclaimer: this will never happen for those reasons.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:04 p.m.
torontos finest
if the rangers seriously entertained trading the first, another team could easily one up that package.

don't think you trade a guaranteed franchise player away to plug some holes.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
have you seen Arizona's financial situation?
Bill Armstrong will most likely go into a hard rebuild after expansion draft. I explained in description.

Kuemper and Andersen are comparable goalies. Coyotes are basically giving up 1 year for some salary relief.

I'm a lot closer to Arizona's financial situation than you are.

The whole point of my comment is that giving up one year of a #1 goalie for $2.5 million, as you admit, is moronic.
DSZ liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
TML
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'm a lot closer to Arizona's financial situation than you are.

The whole point of my comment is that giving up one year of a #1 goalie for $2.5 million, as you admit, is moronic.

alright fair enough. Arizona could keep their goalie if thats how they feel.
I don't think Kuemper is worth Freddie + 1st or even 2x 2nd or a 2nd + prospect

Toronto would either keep Freddie for one more year or look elsewhere.

Doesn't really change much for 2020/2021
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:10 p.m.

Buch and Kakko fill the top 6 RW.
Chytil or Howden fill the 3C role.
Any budget UFA fill 3rd pairing D role.

Not to mention they just did that all from within and still have 1OA. Teams don’t trade away the 1st pick for depth. It’s scary you don’t see that.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
alright fair enough. Arizona could keep their goalie if thats how they feel.
I don't think Kuemper is worth Freddie + 1st or even 2x 2nd or a 2nd + prospect

Toronto would either keep Freddie for one more year or look elsewhere.

Doesn't really change much for 2020/2021

A rebuild is getting rid of the older players who are no longer as productive as they once were -- guys like Stepan, Hjalmarsson, Demers, Goligoski, Raanta, and even Phil Kessel. It's not trading away one of your young core players, like Keller, Schmaltz, Garland, Dvorak, Chychrun or yes, Kuemper even if he only has two years left on the meter.
Remus and DSZ liked this.
Sep. 19, 2020 at 8:18 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai

No it doesn't.
WheEhlers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll