2$2,875,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
1$2,250,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Ekman-Larsson, Oliver
Additional Details:
OEL waives his NTC to play for Tippett and Playfair again and play with McDavid and Draisaitl. ARI gets rid of $44.75m total owing to OEL with young players ready to step up. Chychrun, Goligoski, and Oesterle on the left and Hjalmarsson, Demers, and Soderstrom on the right.
ARI
  1. Lagesson, William [RFA Rights]
  2. Russell, Kris
  3. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Kris Russell's contract is a $4m cap hit but only $1.5m in actual salary with 1YL. ARI recovers two 1st round draft picks and a solid prospect in Lagesson who is ready to push for an NHL job. Russell, who can play LD/RD, and Lagesson allow ARI to move on from one of Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, or Demers if they can find buyers.
EDM
  1. 2020 4th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Oilers acquire a 4th round pick to replace the one traded to DET in the Mike Green deal.
BUF
  1. Kassian, Zack
Additional Details:
BUF has ample cap space and could really benefit from Kassian's speed, aggressiveness, and ability to play up and down the lineup. Kassian comes full circle in his career, having been drafted by the Sabres in the first round in 2009.
EDM
  1. Bozak, Tyler ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Parayko, Colton
Additional Details:
Oilers acquire much-needed 3rd line RHC in Bozak as well as a top pairing defenseman and local St. Albert product, Colton Parayko.
STL
  1. Klefbom, Oscar
  2. Räsänen, Aapeli [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
STL acquires an excellent 2-way LHD on a value contract with 1 more year than Parayko and cap space to sign Pietrangelo and Dunn. Klefbom is the same age as Parayko and while perhaps not as strong defensively, offers a bit more offensively, as well as left-right balance: Klefbom-Pietrangelo and Dunn-Faulk. STL has forward depth to absorb the loss of Bozak. Rasanen is compensation for retaining 50% of his contract. He has performed well in recent years and while something of a long-shot still to make the NHL, projects as a two-way centre.
EDM
  1. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Oilers acquire a 1st from TOR after giving one up to ARI, moving one back from 14th overall to 15th overall. They also gain back some of the cap space they lost in previous deals.
TOR
  1. Khaira, Jujhar
  2. Larsson, Adam
Additional Details:
After EDM takes Pietrangelo and Parayko off the market with STL deal, TOR has fewer RHD targets. TOR has reportedly been interested in both EDM players. In Adam Larsson, TOR gets a rugged, stay-at-home RHD who can play top or second pairing minutes. Dubas also reportedly likes Khaira who is big and a strong penalty-killer. Dubas will need to find cap space, but already created some in the Kapanen deal and likely doesn't resign Barrie. Lots of flexibility still for TOR to make other deals with their assets (e.g., Johnsson, Kerfoot, Nylander, or Marner).
EDM
  1. Kulak, Brett
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
Oilers acquire the largest contract in MTL's logjam at 3LHD and one of MTL's three 2nd round picks to replace one of the 2nd round picks they gave up to acquire Athanasiou. Kulak offers EDM a 3rd pairing defenseman to replace Benning at a slightly lower cap hit. He's a local product and a veteran to pair with Jones (who plays LD and RD) and Bouchard as they compete for the Oilers last roster spot. MTL gives up the 2nd round pick (#48) that comes immediately after theirs (#47), which ensures EDM doesn't take their player.
MTL
  1. Athanasiou, Andreas [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
I like Athanasiou and while I've created enough cap room to sign him, especially to the 15% below qualifying ($2.55m) that could be awarded by an arbitrator, he didn't earn Tippett's confidence and so it's probably best for both the player and the Oilers to move on.
EDM
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Oilers decide to give CGY the 2021 rather than 2020-3rd round pick to complete the Lucic deal. CGY must, therefore, give their 3rd round pick in 2020 to CHI to complete the Gustafsson deal, which means CGY will no longer have a 3rd round pick in 2020, definitely an added bonus to this decision.
CGY
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Raanta, Antti ($2,125,000 retained)
Additional Details:
As part of the OEL deal earlier, Oilers acquire Antti Raanta with 50% retained. In salary, ARI is only retaining $1m but the cap hit is what it really matters for the Oilers.
ARI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
ARI acquires a 2nd round pick to replace the one they lost for violating combine rules. Jake Allen set the goaltender market at a 3rd round pick so the higher acquisition cost in this deal compensates for the retained salary and, I think, better talent.
EDM
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Oilers reacquire one of the two 2nd round picks they traded to DET for Athanasiou. DET has two other 2nd round picks.
DET
  1. Benning, Matthew [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
DET acquires an excellent 3RHD with strong analytics, which matters to Yzerman. Benning probably wasn't available for this price at the deadline because the Oilers were loading up for the playoffs, adding to their defense, not substracting.
EDM
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
Jake Allen trade established the market for goalies. Oilers acquire one of DET's two 3rd round picks in 2020.
DET
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
Additional Details:
DET acquires a goaltender who had a solid .917 SV% to replace Howard.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,665,699$341,534$730,000$2,834,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$808,333$808,333
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$915,000$915,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$2,125,000$2,125,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 20, 2020 at 3:39 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
And Buffalo doesn't want him or his contract back!
Sep. 20, 2020 at 3:39 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Toronto laughs and hangs up

We can do better on the free agency market
DJSums17 liked this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 3:53 a.m.
I'd say Montreal does that if we trade Domi or Danault. There isn't really a spot here for AA otherwise
Sep. 20, 2020 at 4:07 a.m.
anduril
Quoting: HabsForEver
I'd say Montreal does that if we trade Domi or Danault. There isn't really a spot here for AA otherwise

Yeah, that's fair.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 4:27 a.m.
anduril
Quoting: aadoyle

This scenario assumes Pietrangelo is off-the-market so you've got Barrie, Schultz, Vatanen, Hamonic, Tanev, Pysyk, Van Riemsdyk, and Ceci as some of the notable RHD available in free agency, two of which you've already tried. Knock yourself out. You are either looking at more money and/or a very different type of player than TOR needs. Larsson is a big body, who plays a hard game, and he can chew up 20 minutes a night. In Edmonton, he regularly plays the toughest minutes on the team and a clear majority of his TOI is defensive zone starts. Larsson and Khaira have both been on TOR's radar for awhile with rumoured returns of Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot +. Kapanen was just traded for a 1st and two additional players, including a good prospect. Expecting Larsson and Khaira to net a 1st is realistic, imo, and, if not from TOR, I'm sure there's a team in the NHL that would give up that asking price or, at the very least, two 2nds. Lesser dmen in the past year have regularly gone for a 2nd plus either another pick or a prospect.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 4:42 a.m.
anduril
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
And Buffalo doesn't want him or his contract back!

I think he'd make a lot of sense there, especially with all the turnover in the bottom six. He's capable of netting 10-15 goals and can play up and down the lineup as needed. He adds some real aggressiveness and he's fast. He's a guy that can change momentum with hits, fights, and crazy eyes. Won over Oilers fans who hated him with a passion because of his cheap shot on Sam Gagner, a very popular Oiler. The contract is an overpay for sure but very doable for Buffalo. He adds a dimension that I don't think they have. However, if not Buffalo, the asking price is fair and I think could be obtained somewhere. To my knowledge, he didn't burn bridges in Buffalo but feel free to correct me on this.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 4:44 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: anduril
This scenario assumes Pietrangelo is off-the-market so you've got Barrie, Schultz, Vatanen, Hamonic, Tanev, Pysyk, Van Riemsdyk, and Ceci as some of the notable RHD available in free agency, two of which you've already tried. Knock yourself out. You are either looking at more money and/or a very different type of player than TOR needs. Larsson is a big body, who plays a hard game, and he can chew up 20 minutes a night. In Edmonton, he regularly plays the toughest minutes on the team and a clear majority of his TOI is defensive zone starts. Larsson and Khaira have both been on TOR's radar for awhile with rumoured returns of Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot +. Kapanen was just traded for a 1st and two additional players, including a good prospect. Expecting Larsson and Khaira to net a 1st is realistic, imo, and, if not from TOR, I'm sure there's a team in the NHL that would give up that asking price or, at the very least, two 2nds. Lesser dmen in the past year have regularly gone for a 2nd plus either another pick or a prospect.

U forgot demelo and Braun both of which are better targets. Hamonic will cost 4 mill to sign and not cost us a 1st same with Braun. Demelo will cost 3.5 and is the better fit. As for your value of Larsson + kharia laughable considering both are not even close to 1st pick worth territory

In general this is a yikes and a no thank you as there is so much wrong with this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 5:14 a.m.
anduril
U forgot demelo and Braun both of which are better targets. Hamonic will cost 4 mill to sign and not cost us a 1st same with Braun. Demelo will cost 3.5 and is the better fit. As for your value of Larsson + kharia laughable considering both are not even close to 1st pick worth territory

In general this is a yikes and a no thank you as there is so much wrong with this.

Demelo and Hamonic are likely to be signed by WPG. They desperately need D. Hamonic is from WPG and it is where he wanted to be dealt when he moved from NY to CGY because of family. I'd be shocked if he doesn't sign there. He also underperformed in CGY and so I question whether TOR would really want him anyway. I feel like EDM dodged a bullet when CGY beat us out in the Hamonic sweepstakes. WPG liked Demelo and I don't see why they won't be able to reach a deal. He's a decent option if he reaches the market but I don't think you get the same toughness from him that you do from Larsson, which has been part of the criticism with TOR---namely, their D aren't hard/physically demanding to play against. As for Braun, I don't see him as good as Larsson by a significant margin. He's an aging, 3rd pair dman. Larsson is six years younger. So, knock yourself out on Braun, I guess, if you disagree. The fact that you think the value is "laughable" isn't supported by comparables. So, while I'll admit the 1st is a reach, it's not out of line with the two picks or picks and a prospect that other mostly lesser or older dmen have yielded, especially given TOR's needs and Larsson's age, contract, player type, handedness, and what's available on the market. Two 2nds or Dermott (b/c of 3LHD logjam in TOR) are other possible returns but I'd need to rework some things to get a contract done for Dermott. I'm sure, even if it were ultimately a no from TOR, the ask is reasonable and would be met somewhere in the NHL. Adam Larsson is a bonafide second pairing dman on all but maybe a handful of NHL teams that are unusually stacked on right-D. He has played top pairing for most of his time in Edmonton and is capable of that in the defensive-minded support role.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 5:17 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Demelo and Hamonic are likely to be signed by WPG. They desperately need D. Hamonic is from WPG and it is where he wanted to be dealt when he moved from NY to CGY because of family. I'd be shocked if he doesn't sign there. He also underperformed in CGY and so I question whether TOR would really want him anyway. I feel like EDM dodged a bullet when CGY beat us out in the Hamonic sweepstakes. WPG liked Demelo and I don't see why they won't be able to reach a deal. He's a decent option if he reaches the market but I don't think you get the same toughness from him that you do from Larsson, which has been part of the criticism with TOR---namely, their D aren't hard/physically demanding to play against. As for Braun, I don't see him as good as Larsson by a significant margin. He's an aging, 3rd pair dman. Larsson is six years younger. So, knock yourself out on Braun, I guess, if you disagree. The fact that you think the value is "laughable" isn't supported by comparables. So, while I'll admit the 1st is a reach, it's not out of line with the two picks or picks and a prospect that other mostly lesser or older dmen have yielded, especially given TOR's needs and Larsson's age, contract, player type, handedness, and what's available on the market. Two 2nds or Dermott (b/c of 3LHD logjam in TOR) are other possible returns but I'd need to rework some things to get a contract done for Dermott. I'm sure, even if it were ultimately a no from TOR, the ask is reasonable and would be met somewhere in the NHL. Adam Larsson is a bonafide second pairing dman on all but maybe a handful of NHL teams that are unusually stacked on right-D. He has played top pairing for most of his time in Edmonton and is capable of that in the defensive-minded support role.

Winnipeg does not have the money for both a new 2nd line center and a new backup plus resigning all there rfas

In general Larsson is not who we need. He is asking upgrade over ceci as they both such at transitioning the puck. At most all dubas would give is johnsson nothing more nothing less

In general your values on players are way off. Dubas has finances on his side and if players want stability Toronto can give it to them. Plus they get big signing bonuses meaning more money in the end on a lower cap hit.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 7:18 a.m.

Larsson had worse defensive numbers than cody ceci last year
Sep. 20, 2020 at 7:54 a.m.
Subbanator
Great explications on the trades, took a lot of time, but none of the other teams accept the trades.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 8:46 a.m.

Lol ya good luck with that.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
Lol ya good luck with that.

You are high if you think Pietro signs in Edmonton first off. Secondly the blues easily decline that deal and if they did accept the deal they would use the new found money on Pietro.

Be somewhat realistic will you?
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:15 a.m.
Banned

Or Toronto targets a better d-man on the trade market for the 1st rounder. They can offer a better package than what you've offered for Parayko easily. They could go after Brett Pesce or possibly Dougie Hamilton. There's Dylan Demelo in free agency. Bottom line is that there's much better ways to spend the 15th overall pick in a deep draft than a 3rd pairing d-man at best and a 4th line winger. It's an easy pass for Toronto. Not even considered.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:17 a.m.
That Parayko offer is beyond terrible for the Blues. Klefbom doesn't even open a conversation on Parayko. I'm not underrating him either.

None of the reasoning makes any sense at all either.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Quoting: TheOtherAuston
You are high if you think Pietro signs in Edmonton first off. Secondly the blues easily decline that deal and if they did accept the deal they would use the new found money on Pietro.

My comment was about leafs doing better in free agency. But I’m not surprised leaf fan would suggest that since they seem to have the most trouble evaluating players.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:23 a.m.
Banned

Anyone is better than Larsson. Rushing Schneider straight into the league is better than Larsson. You won't get a 2nd for him. He isn't good and he's over priced and the exact opposite of what would be good for TO's system. A do nothing pylon who stands in front of his net and blocks shots all the time isn't what TO needs. They need defenceman that move the puck as well as defend. Like Muzzin. Larsson is just an old school stay at home plug that works in a very specific system where he can do exactly that. He's not worth his contract let alone a 1st.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
Banned

If Larsson is so awesome, why are all Oiler fans trading him to TO?
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:28 a.m.
Banned
My comment was about leafs doing better in free agency. But I’m not surprised leaf fan would suggest that since they seem to have the most trouble evaluating players.

Says the guy who treats Larsson like he is Morgan Rielly.
aadoyle liked this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
I think he'd make a lot of sense there, especially with all the turnover in the bottom six. He's capable of netting 10-15 goals and can play up and down the lineup as needed. He adds some real aggressiveness and he's fast. He's a guy that can change momentum with hits, fights, and crazy eyes. Won over Oilers fans who hated him with a passion because of his cheap shot on Sam Gagner, a very popular Oiler. The contract is an overpay for sure but very doable for Buffalo. He adds a dimension that I don't think they have. However, if not Buffalo, the asking price is fair and I think could be obtained somewhere. To my knowledge, he didn't burn bridges in Buffalo but feel free to correct me on this.

Sabres are on a pretty tight budget this offseason. They probably shouldn’t spend 3.2 on bottom 6 players. They have a lot of RFA’s this year that’s why it looks like they have a lot of cap space.
anduril liked this.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Says the guy who treats Larsson like he is Morgan Rielly.

Very different players. I don’t remember ever comparing the two.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.

How does that pertain to anything I just said, I wasn't evaluating any players. I was stating that Pietro won't sign in Edmonton, it's not on his list of consideration.
Then there is the point of trying to send a left hand dman to a team that is rich in left hand dmen whilst robbing them of their best RHD it makes zero sense. Atleast when the typical leaf fan makes an AGM for parayko or Pietrangelo they are somewhat realistic

As for the larrson and Khairan for a first, sure they could probably get it from some team but not the leafs we have a glut of bottom six guys and if we wanted someone like khaira we would just sign someone similar and pay less for larrson why give up a first if you don't have to?
Sep. 20, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
Banned
Very different players. I don’t remember ever comparing the two.

Larsson is apparently a terrific top pair stay at home defenceman. One of the best defensively in the entire league. Which is why you and your fan base trade him to TO every post. He isn't worth a roster spot on the Oilers defence which is one of the worst at 5v5 in the entire league. That is a stat you can't debate but hey, Larsson is gold you want to throw on the trash heap because a couple unproven rookies are way better than what he offers.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
anduril
Edited Sep. 20, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: TheOtherAuston

I didn’t have Pietrangelo sign with the Oilers. Maybe actually look at things... the trade with STL takes Pietrangelo off the market because it gives STL cap space to sign him.
Sep. 20, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.
anduril
Edited Sep. 20, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
If Larsson is so awesome, why are all Oiler fans trading him to TO?

Because there’s rumoured interest in him. Honestly I don’t mind if the Oilers basically stand pat this year. Downsides to all these trades imo with the exception of the Klefbom deal which I know is a win for the Oilers but the premise is that STL wants to keep Pietrangelo, which actually recent reports suggest they are not so committed to doing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll