Forums/Armchair-GM

Hell no Pietrangelo

Created by: newballcoach
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 21, 2020
Published: Sep. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs might have to add a bit to Minnesota (I know Bracco is no prize) but it couldn't be more than the 3rd Johnsson garnered.

There is room to pay Greenway, Hamonic and Dillon a bit more if you prefer that.

Dillon is a great defensive dman with lots of PK skill. He fits in great with Toronto. Might also be able to play the right side higher up. Depending on how things look/how people are playing midseason maybe you need to make a trade to make room for Lehtonen or Sandin. But competition and depth is important (which is why I did not sign Pietrangelo).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,100,000
1$1,100,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
2$2,250,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Greenway, Jordan [RFA Rights]
MIN
  1. Bracco, Jeremy [RFA Rights]
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
They are one of a few teams that might actually be interested in Bracco, since he can create offence and play RW. He's a throw-in (I realize his value is low) but I think Minny would want him instead of a low round pick.
TOR
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (NJD)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,702,283$0$0$1,797,717
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 21, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Dillon and Hamonic aren't signing that and having Holl in your top 4 is just terrible
Sep. 21, 2020 at 1:13 p.m.
themostleaf33
That defence just looks bad.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Dillon and Hamonic aren't signing that and having Holl in your top 4 is just terrible

This site has them around there and is from pre-COVID, so I can't imagine I'm all that far off. https://dobberhockey.com/2020/02/20/capped-prediction-model-for-free-agents/

While Holl is not ideal, the group as a whole is better and there is depth to support and replace him if he doesn't play well. Last year he was played over his head because the Leafs had no choice, this gives them depth and options. It's highly possible he's not there all season, and that's fine.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: themostleaf33
That defence just looks bad.

Where would you suggest improvements? What specific moves would you make?

I think this D group is better than trading Dermott and relying on Sandin and/or Liljegren to play a regular NHL shift on the 3rd pair. This gives them time to make sure they're ready and you have flexibility to make moves during the season. Lehtonen may even take one of those top-6 jobs, which would be great.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
We dont need anymore left shot defencemen and we wont sign Hamonic espessially for that cheap. Id say we sign Radko Gudas or Dylan Demelo or maybe both.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan16
We dont need anymore left shot defencemen and we wont sign Hamonic espessially for that cheap. Id say we sign Radko Gudas or Dylan Demelo or maybe both.

Dillon I think is good for what the Leafs need, defensively excellent. I am unsure if he would be willing to play the right side, but if he can, he's a great add.

Gudas and Demelo are commonly signed, just wanted to throw out a different option.
Leafsfan16 liked this.
Sep. 21, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
themostleaf33
Quoting: newballcoach
Where would you suggest improvements? What specific moves would you make?

I think this D group is better than trading Dermott and relying on Sandin and/or Liljegren to play a regular NHL shift on the 3rd pair. This gives them time to make sure they're ready and you have flexibility to make moves during the season. Lehtonen may even take one of those top-6 jobs, which would be great.

Instead of signing Dillon and Hamonic I would try to just sign one player like Brodie. Sandin is ready for a full time NHL role and so is Lehtonen. They can fill out the bottom pair. I know they are both rookies but Lehotnen will be 26 so I mean it's not like he has limited experience with high end hockey. Sandin proved this year he is ready. Really wish the leafs put him in over Ceci and Maricin during the Columbus series.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Quoting: themostleaf33
Instead of signing Dillon and Hamonic I would try to just sign one player like Brodie. Sandin is ready for a full time NHL role and so is Lehtonen. They can fill out the bottom pair. I know they are both rookies but Lehotnen will be 26 so I mean it's not like he has limited experience with high end hockey. Sandin proved this year he is ready. Really wish the leafs put him in over Ceci and Maricin during the Columbus series.

I think I'd rather sign a couple of dependable veteran to shorter term deals. Brodie will want more term and that will mean Reilly is harder to resign. Brodie when he plays without Giordano has some not great results.

Lehtonen is a complete unknown, you have no idea what he can accomplish. He could end up being worse than Ozighanov, to rely on him to fill a d-pair role is risky. How can you say Sandin is so ready? How did he prove it? He made some nice offensive plays sure, but he had tons of trouble in his own zone and the Leafs had worse results than him on the ice. There's a reason he wasn't out there in the playoffs. I think expecting those guys to make the leap and play right away is risky.

You'd rather have options. If they have great camps and play well, awesome. take a spot and make a move. If not, they can go down for seasoning and perhaps they play their way into the lineup in midseason. I'd definitely like to see them in there, but they have to do more than they have currently, IMO, to be penciled into those spots in training camp.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Why do people keep thinking that UFAs are going to be forced to take pay-cuts this season? Dillon has earned a modest raise and sure as hell isn't going to sign with the Leafs for almost a million dollars less than he's making right now.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
Why do people keep thinking that UFAs are going to be forced to take pay-cuts this season? Dillon has earned a modest raise and sure as hell isn't going to sign with the Leafs for almost a million dollars less than he's making right now.

I posted a link above that had contract predictions from February (pre-COVID) and they were similar to this.

How on earth do you think UFA's WON'T be taking paycuts? There's a flatcap that many teams were already up against. There's HUGE amounts of escrow they need to avoid and many teams have internal budgets where they will be trying to drastically cut spending. Mid-tier guys like Demelo, Hamonic, Dillon, etc. are definitely going to be getting short term. less money deals.

Honestly, which team do you think is going to be throwing around UFA cash this offseason? Look at the UFA list and tell me how many of those guys are going to be signing deals over 5mil/year right now? Anybody who resigned with their team (Kreider) looks like a genius right now.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 9:49 a.m.
oh how i suffer
I posted a link above that had contract predictions from February (pre-COVID) and they were similar to this.

How on earth do you think UFA's WON'T be taking paycuts? There's a flatcap that many teams were already up against. There's HUGE amounts of escrow they need to avoid and many teams have internal budgets where they will be trying to drastically cut spending. Mid-tier guys like Demelo, Hamonic, Dillon, etc. are definitely going to be getting short term. less money deals.

Honestly, which team do you think is going to be throwing around UFA cash this offseason? Look at the UFA list and tell me how many of those guys are going to be signing deals over 5mil/year right now? Anybody who resigned with their team (Kreider) looks like a genius right now.

Oh my actual god, I'm having hysterics over the deals Dobber seems to think the Sharks are going to cut for Labanc and Thornton. There is no way on god's green earth that Jumbo's salary goes up and I'd be *shocked* if Labanc gets over $4m given the team's cap issues and his play last year in what was supposed to be a "show me" season. Radil signed with a KHL team. And having nothing to do with the Sharks, you're actually nuts if you think Taylor Hall is taking a pay cut. I would bet on that, and I don't gamble.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
Oh my actual god, I'm having hysterics over the deals Dobber seems to think the Sharks are going to cut for Labanc and Thornton. There is no way on god's green earth that Jumbo's salary goes up and I'd be *shocked* if Labanc gets over $4m given the team's cap issues and his play last year in what was supposed to be a "show me" season. Radil signed with a KHL team. And having nothing to do with the Sharks, you're actually nuts if you think Taylor Hall is taking a pay cut. I would bet on that, and I don't gamble.

I didn't say anything about Taylor Hall. Hall and Pietrangelo are getting their money, they're top tier guys. I specifically said mid-tier guys will get squeezed. I'm not really sure if we disagreed or not here, so, thanks?
Sep. 22, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.
oh how i suffer
I didn't say anything about Taylor Hall. Hall and Pietrangelo are getting their money, they're top tier guys. I specifically said mid-tier guys will get squeezed. I'm not really sure if we disagreed or not here, so, thanks?

I'm just saying I think that list is, uh, not reliable. Also, yeah, I think that RFAs and mid tier guys will get squeezed the worst, but I don't think that guys will be taking million dollar or more cuts. I just think you're going to see a lot of short term static contracts.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 10:54 a.m.
I'm just saying I think that list is, uh, not reliable. Also, yeah, I think that RFAs and mid tier guys will get squeezed the worst, but I don't think that guys will be taking million dollar or more cuts. I just think you're going to see a lot of short term static contracts.

I mean, I think it may not be up to them. If teams don't offer them more money than they made last year, what are they going to do? I know you're not saying nobody is going to take a pay cut, but in reality lots of guys are going to just because of the nature of the free agent market.

There are going to be lots of teams who are looking at survival for the next 2 years, potentially all with a flat cap and no fans. Those teams aren't going to be driving up the prices on UFA's. More supply=less demand.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
MN does not want or have room for Bracco, a pick is better.

I don't like the idea of Kerfoot for Greenway, but I like Greenway more than others. Kerfoot for Donato is something I'd do though.
Sep. 22, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.
Quoting: wabit
MN does not want or have room for Bracco, a pick is better.

I don't like the idea of Kerfoot for Greenway, but I like Greenway more than others. Kerfoot for Donato is something I'd do though.

I really like Greenway, I'd be happy to add to get him.

I thought Minny might be interested in him as a potential reclamation project. I totally realize he has little value. But their depth at RW is poor, and if they can turn him into an NHLer his offensive upside is undeniable.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll