Forums/Armchair-GM

Lou Gets His Boy Back

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 21, 2020
Published: Sep. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yes, I know Zaitsev is one of, if not the worst defenseman in the NHL. Having him in the lineup is painful to look at and if this came to fruition, I imagine it would be even more painful to watch. But in the long-run, I think this could potentially work out well for us.

First off all, Zaitsev was pretty good on the power play in Toronto, an area of serious need this season. I wonder if we could squeeze some value of him if we gave him consistent time on the PP. In addition, I've seen some people speculate that 11F and 7D might become more common going forward. If that's the case, Zaitsev and our 7th D could divide the workload at even strength so that we'd have to deal with him as a liability a little less than we may otherwise. Finally of course, maybe Trotz’s defensive structure could help him along a little more than Toronto or Ottawa’s could. He’s not going to be amazing, or even “good” but if he can be “serviceable” I think that makes this worth it.

The biggest reason we’d do this (and why Ottawa might do this is) for money reasons. Zaitsev is worth less against the cap than Boychuk for the next two seasons, but he'll also make over double what Boychuk does, including $4 million in bonuses opposed to Boychuk's $2.75 million. So with this deal, Ottawa takes on less of a financial burden, while giving up some draft picks as payment. I can't see Boychuk having Ottawa on his 8 team trade list, so I feel like Ottawa would have to buy him and let him test free agency if he doesn't want to stay. I feel like he could get a nice one year deal to play a 5-6 role for a team needing a vet on the blueline. The Sens would also get Bellows, who looked alright in his stint with the Islanders, but considering they left him outside the bubble and didn't play him down the stretch back in March, I'd say he might be expendable this coming offseason. Has decent potential to become a nice top-9 scoring winger, maybe top-6 if things go well.

As for Zaitsev's long term outlook, I can't see him staying with us long either. He could end up being great and stay on as a legit top-6 piece for us for another couple of seasons, but let's be honest, that's probably not going to happen. I say we buy him out at the end of next season if things don't go well. Unfortunately the bonuses will make the cost jump up in 2022 when it's time for the bonuses to be paid, but we still get some nice relief so I'm okay with it I guess.

It's not perfect, but if the Islanders can afford it, I'm cool with it. We can get some picks back, shed cap space and (maybe) improve the power play. If worse comes to worst, we scratch Zaitsev and maybe he gets mad and asks for contract termination so he can go back to Russia idk.

In any case, I see this as an absolute win
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$7,500,000
6$6,000,000
4$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,300,000
2$1,250,000
Trades
NYI
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (WPG)
NYI
  1. 2021 6th round pick (LAK)
NYI
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Bellows, Kieffer
  2. Boychuk, Johnny
Additional Details:
OTT agrees prior to the trade to buy Boychuk out
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,388,334$0$1,075,000$111,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:42 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Looks good
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Looks good

Does it?
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Does it?

Well I think Barzal gets more but all in all it could work
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
Kings decline. The only reason they'd take Komarov is to mitigate the cost for Leddy. If Leddy isn't coming, then they're not taking him, let alone giving up even a late-round pick for him. Aho doesn't interest LA at all.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
Isles7
that Ottawa trade is awful lol. I doubt Zaitsev waives to be the 7D anyways.
athrin and joshelkin liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Isles777
that Ottawa trade is awful lol. I doubt Zaitsev waives to be the 7D anyways.

Well, he wouldn't be. He'd have to be in the top-6 or at least in the lineup for a 11F/7D situation. Originally, I had traded Mayfield for Vatrano as well but the money didn't really work how I thought it might. You could still trade Mayfield for something and then probably play Zaitsev with Greene or Toews if you're only running six defensemen.

As for the trade itself, I wasn't really sure what would go back. I know if we were taking on Zaitsev, I'd want some picks back to restock the cupboard after we spent this year. Bellows probably has more value to another team than he would to us, so I threw him in as part of the return with Boychuk. Not sure what else would have to be included but I'm open to suggestions.
Isles777 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Kings decline. The only reason they'd take Komarov is to mitigate the cost for Leddy. If Leddy isn't coming, then they're not taking him, let alone giving up even a late-round pick for him. Aho doesn't interest LA at all.

Works for me, as long as we get their cap hits of the books. If we can keep Aho as insurance, I'd prefer that anyways (I'd honestly rather see him in the top-6 than Greene next season anyways).
Sep. 23, 2020 at 7:59 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Well I think Barzal gets more but all in all it could work

I can't see Barzal getting too too much more than Point or Laine on a short term deal, especially with a flat cap. With some more moves, you could take it a little higher, but if they bridge him (which I think is better for him anyways), I can't see it going much higher than 8
Sep. 23, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
Isles7
Well, he wouldn't be. He'd have to be in the top-6 or at least in the lineup for a 11F/7D situation. Originally, I had traded Mayfield for Vatrano as well but the money didn't really work how I thought it might. You could still trade Mayfield for something and then probably play Zaitsev with Greene or Toews if you're only running six defensemen.

As for the trade itself, I wasn't really sure what would go back. I know if we were taking on Zaitsev, I'd want some picks back to restock the cupboard after we spent this year. Bellows probably has more value to another team than he would to us, so I threw him in as part of the return with Boychuk. Not sure what else would have to be included but I'm open to suggestions.

Trotz loves to roll 4 lines, I can’t ever see him going with 11 F 7D.

I think the isles should be approaching this season and next by thinking how they can get rid of some of their bad contracts without taking salary back. Zaitsev has a buyout proof contract as well, I don’t think it’s worth it to trade for him.

Bellows would provide us value but lou/trotz are stubborn and for some reason don’t think we need a guy with his shooting talent
Sep. 23, 2020 at 10:39 p.m.
CHI NYI
Trotz loves to roll 4 lines, I can’t ever see him going with 11 F 7D.

I think the isles should be approaching this season and next by thinking how they can get rid of some of their bad contracts without taking salary back. Zaitsev has a buyout proof contract as well, I don’t think it’s worth it to trade for him.

Bellows would provide us value but lou/trotz are stubborn and for some reason don’t think we need a guy with his shooting talent

Taking no salary back is the goal obviously, but realistically it's going to be hard to do and I'm not thrilled with giving up multiple future assets, especially for a team that isn't particularly young. The buyout for Zaitsev isn't great, but it's not exactly "buyout proof," at least to the extent that Ladd and Boychuk are. I'll admit, years 3 and 4 would be kinda tough, buyout or no buyout but there will be more moves to be made anyways at that point. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it gets us through this year and probably next year too.

As for Bellows, I like him too, but if he isn't going to have a role in the top-9 next year it might be time to move on. Even without this trade, if we could either swap him for another prospect or use him as part of a package for a top/middle six winger (Vatrano?), I'd be alright with that
Sep. 23, 2020 at 10:43 p.m.
Isles7
Taking no salary back is the goal obviously, but realistically it's going to be hard to do and I'm not thrilled with giving up multiple future assets, especially for a team that isn't particularly young. The buyout for Zaitsev isn't great, but it's not exactly "buyout proof," at least to the extent that Ladd and Boychuk are. I'll admit, years 3 and 4 would be kinda tough, buyout or no buyout but there will be more moves to be made anyways at that point. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it gets us through this year and probably next year too.

As for Bellows, I like him too, but if he isn't going to have a role in the top-9 next year it might be time to move on. Even without this trade, if we could either swap him for another prospect or use him as part of a package for a top/middle six winger (Vatrano?), I'd be alright with that

I'd rather keep boychuk, bury him if we need to and trade other assets with value. This team should not be taking on bad contracts with term.

I also think Zaitsev is the kind of guy that would cause problems if he was the 7D and lets face it, hes not going to be a regular here. So I understand where youre coming from but I just don't think it makes sense for the isles

why not just buyout Clutterbuck or trade cizikas?
Sep. 23, 2020 at 10:56 p.m.
CHI NYI
I'd rather keep boychuk, bury him if we need to and trade other assets with value. This team should not be taking on bad contracts with term.

I also think Zaitsev is the kind of guy that would cause problems if he was the 7D and lets face it, hes not going to be a regular here. So I understand where youre coming from but I just don't think it makes sense for the isles

why not just buyout Clutterbuck or trade cizikas?

I like the 4th line (or the idea of it) too much. I'd be alright with ditching both Clutter and Martin if necessary and using Koivula, Bardreau or whoever as replacements but Cizikas is our x-factor honestly, so good defensively and leads the charge for the 4th line offensively too.
Sep. 23, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
Isles7
I like the 4th line (or the idea of it) too much. I'd be alright with ditching both Clutter and Martin if necessary and using Koivula, Bardreau or whoever as replacements but Cizikas is our x-factor honestly, so good defensively and leads the charge for the 4th line offensively too.

I’d rather do that than take on Zaitsevs albatross contract.

Buying out clutterbuck saves 1.67 mill and I agree , replace him and Martin with one of our other 5 4th liners. If you do that, it comes out to around 1.5 mill difference , which is the difference between Zaitsev + boychuk contracts.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll