Forums/Armchair-GM

Was Brian Burke right

Created by: Random2152
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 24, 2020
Published: Sep. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
When Burke was building his Leafs team he was building a top-6 - bottom-6 model. He failed as the top-6 was never good enough and the bottom 6 was full of face punchers who get killed every time they stepped out of the box. Someone pointed out however, that this Leafs team as constructed is so top heavy that a Burke esq model could actually work.

The plan:
1) Build a crazy good top end that can score (mostly done)
2) Sign cheap depth who can stay above water and grind the other team down
3) Find cap savings wherever possible
4) Re-stock the cupboards with picks

Bring Piet home. He'd be the best RHDman in a decade or more and would solve a ton of issues for this team. The contract is long, so it is a gamble however with this core where it is and this teams inability to get out of the first round I think the risk is worth it.
Simmonds is not the player he used to be, but as a 4th liner making near or at league min I'd love for him to come home. Brings more grit and experience.
Erod is an undervalued asset as a depth piece (I said this when he was in Buffalo too) and can bring a strong presence to the bottom 6 for cheap.
Thornton doesn't seem too happy with San José and may be looking to go elsewhere. He has been linked to Toronto forever now and I'd be cool to bring him in for cheap in a depth role for his veteran leadership.

Las Vegas seems to want to keep Lehner, and that has caused a stabbing to happen in the crease. Fleury isn't worth his contract, but at 3.5 is manageable enough. Vegas needs to clear cap space to sign the better goal tender so this helps in that regard, even if not ideal for them. For the trouble of taking on the risk of Fleury the Golden Knights move down 15 slots in the draft as compensation. The picks moved have relatively similar value, so while a casual look may make this seem lopsided, there isn't a lot of value changing hands from the pick swap.

Frederick Andersen has been in Toronto for 4 years and has been a top-10 goalie for 3 of them. Unfortunately the year he decided to not be was this season and so we are moving on. Carolina has been looking for a goalie upgrade and Freddy could prove to be exactly that. Goalies don't cost that much, but with Freddie's resumé and the fact that he will only cost the Hurricanes $1 Million dollars in cash this year makes me think their better 2nd round pick is fair compensation. I think I'd be cool with the lesser pick too, but for the purposes of the AGM it doesn't really matter. Point is Freddy could get a mid 2nd.

We need to save money on the depth and add that ever wanted grit. The key though, is adding players who can actually contribute something here and there while being gritty. The Flames have been exploring large moves going by reports (Monahan?) and as such I think they may want to upgrade their centre position. Kerfoot is a versatile middle 6 forward who can play wherever you put him in the lineup, both wing and centre. We swap Bennet and Kerfoot, and get a pick in compensation for the fact that Kerfy is better.

While I love Engval, He gets paid too much for this team and doesn't fit anymore. Move him to wherever for a late pick. I put Edmonton here as they always need cheap wingers but it can be nearly anywhere else.

A re-visit of an earlier trade, Nashville is looking for a LW. Mango is like an Arvidsson lite and Gauthier is a 4C. If they move or buyout some of their overpaid centres they might want goat as a cheap option for 4-5C and Mango would fill an important spot on the wing for them. The Leafs get the worse of Nashville's 2nd rounders and a 3rd the following year.

Justin Holl performed admirably for the Leafs but in this Piet squad there is no room for him. Move him anywhere for picks. I actually think we could get more for him as he played lots of important minutes well this year, but I went very conservative just because I don't know what a market might look like. Don't be shocked if he could get closer to a 3rd and a 4th instead.

Dermott I still believe in, but like Holl has no place on this blue line. Send him to Chicago for a mid 2nd where he should have the room to step up in bigger minutes and be the player I think he can be while not being stuck behind Rielly and Muzzin. This would mean that Chicago buys out Maata.

Picks:
15: S, Jarvis - RW -----> Trade down if none of M, Rossi - C, Y, Askarov - G, A, Lundell - C, or S, Jarvis - RW, available. Looking for M, Kusnutdinov - C as the pick in the mid 20's.
29: J, Barron - RHD
41: T, Niemela - RHD
42: E, Andrae - LHD
46: B, Berard - LW
76: C, Savoie - C
106: T, Robbins - W
122: J, Blomqvist - G
133: V, Miettinen - W
153: V, Mancini - RHD
168: K, Aho - LHD
177: Dubas Choice
179: Dubas Choice
189: Dubas Choice
195: Dubas Choice
203: B, Brochu - G
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,125,000
1$1,450,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,270,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Fleury, Marc-André ($3,500,000 retained)
  2. 2020 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (NYR)
TOR
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2021 6th round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (NSH)
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (NSH)
TOR
  1. 2020 5th round pick (WPG)
  2. 2021 6th round pick (WPG)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
CHI
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,629,783$0$400,000$3,870,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,550,000$2,550,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,270,000$8,270,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$0$0
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:04 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
@SammyT_51 , How is my drafting here?
SammyT_51 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:06 a.m.
Banned
Brian Burke is always right.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:13 a.m.
Interesting trades. In my opinion, I think the leafs should stay away from piet, a 7 year deal at 30 years old is gunna end up costing the leafs in the future. i think he has 4 good years left in him and then he'll drop a lot. 8 .27 mill is gunna be too much in 4-5 years when leafs have to resign Matthews marner nylander
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:16 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Keefe_chief
Interesting trades. In my opinion, I think the leafs should stay away from piet, a 7 year deal at 30 years old is gunna end up costing the leafs in the future. i think he has 4 good years left in him and then he'll drop a lot. 8 .27 mill is gunna be too much in 4-5 years when leafs have to resign Matthews marner nylander

If I wanted to cheer for a team that got maximum value out of player contracts and never signed deals that would solve huge issues but may blow up I'd cheer for the Coyotes. We are looking to win and as such I think Pietro is a good bet despite the risks.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:23 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
If I wanted to cheer for a team that got maximum value out of player contracts and never signed deals that would solve huge issues but may blow up I'd cheer for the Coyotes. We are looking to win and as such I think Pietro is a good bet despite the risks.

also signing piet mean rielly is most likely gone when is contract expires
Lenny7 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:36 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Sep. 24, 2020 at 6:37 a.m.
Quoting: Keefe_chief
also signing piet mean rielly is most likely gone when is contract expires

I don't believe that's true. I feel we will be able to make that work. 2 years is a long time, much can change cap wise
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:39 a.m.
Well Rossi obviously wont be there, he shouldnt fall outside the top 6. Lundell also shouldnt be there. Askarov and Jarvis could be but probably not.

No chance Flames do that trade. Recency says Bennett is the better player and you cant really compare their regular seasons when 1 played center for Kapanen while the other played wing with Jankowski. Doubt Treliving would even do the 1 for 1

No way Vegas is moving a 1st while retaining 3.5M on Flower
GrinReaper liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 4:57 a.m.
Love all the explanation but I don’t see how this team is better the blue line is filled with massive risk for failure you got two rookies one in the top 4 that haven’t been able to stick in the lineup with a head coach that coached them in the AHL and another rookie even tho he’s older and has international experience but is a huge unknown how his game translates to the smaller ice and faster pace and Freddy at this point is a better goalie then the flower if he’s not good enough to start in Vegas hows he’s going to be good enough to be the #1 in TO downgrade in goal for sure, You got a rookie and Bennett who’s underachieved his whole career and a bunch of well past prime aging vets that can’t play with pace and aren’t going to give you the heavy grinding shifts your looking for. I don’t see the value in trying to make all those moves for one guy.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 5:01 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Well Rossi obviously wont be there, he shouldnt fall outside the top 6. Lundell also shouldnt be there. Askarov and Jarvis could be but probably not.

No chance Flames do that trade. Recency says Bennett is the better player and you cant really compare their regular seasons when 1 played center for Kapanen while the other played wing with Jankowski. Doubt Treliving would even do the 1 for 1

Aren’t the leafs looking for a upgrade over Freddy not down grading to the Flower
Can’t win with 33 mil tied up in 3 guys how do you win with 42mil tied up in 4 guys.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 5:29 a.m.
So, let me get this straight, engvall doesnt fit and is too expensive, but Rodrigues, who is much worse ia worth 100k less?
And no, brian burke wasnt right.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 5:33 a.m.
Build a strong top six and fill out bottom six with value contracts with players that can keep head above water.... I wouldn’t call that Burke’s plan that’s kinda the model every single team attempts to do but much easier said than done. Leafs have been VERY fortunate spezza has agreed to what he has can’t continue to count on those deals. Seriously think Vegas will retain that much money and give up the better pick? Not a chance. Why are you getting bennet and a pick for kerfoot? Haha when do you ever see a non leafs fan involved kerfoot in a trade? Bennet you will see 20 times a day there’s a reason for that. 2nd for dermott? Hahahahaha ya ok. The only trade that might get accepted is Andersen which results in a downgrade so good job.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 5:46 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
So, let me get this straight, engvall doesnt fit and is too expensive, but Rodrigues, who is much worse ia worth 100k less?
And no, brian burke wasnt right.

The title wasn't particularly serious Jared relax. And Erod has some extremely strong underlyings. Better than Engvals at least
Sep. 24, 2020 at 5:53 a.m.
The title wasn't particularly serious Jared relax. And Erod has some extremely strong underlyings. Better than Engvals at least

Which underlying numbers are those? I mean, unless you're talking Bout the 7 games with the pens instead of his whole season.
Engvall was better from all the ones ive seen
Sep. 24, 2020 at 6:04 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
Which underlying numbers are those? I mean, unless you're talking Bout the 7 games with the pens instead of his whole season.
Engvall was better from all the ones ive seen

Micah's model. I think I posted his chart in the BUF-PIT trade thread if you wanna take a look.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 6:30 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy

Rossi is a pipe dream but he is here because he could go anywhere from 3 to 13 depending on how stupid the GMs are. Lundell would only need to fall a few spots, so he is very possible. Askarov is a huge ? With where he will go and Jarvis isn't likely to be taken before 15 (ranked 18 on Bob Mackenzie's list, which is indicative of where scouts see the player going rather than their proper value ranking).

I don't know what to tell you if you think Bennett was better than Kerfoot. You're just wrong. Base stats, eye test, analytics will all tell you otherwise. He had a few good playoff games but that's it.

Vegas isn't moving a 1st. They're trading down 15 spots at a point In The draft where pick value is roughly equal. Nice to see you've been keeping up with that...
Sep. 24, 2020 at 6:56 a.m.
Rossi is a pipe dream but he is here because he could go anywhere from 3 to 13 depending on how stupid the GMs are. Lundell would only need to fall a few spots, so he is very possible. Askarov is a huge ? With where he will go and Jarvis isn't likely to be taken before 15 (ranked 18 on Bob Mackenzie's list, which is indicative of where scouts see the player going rather than their proper value ranking).

I don't know what to tell you if you think Bennett was better than Kerfoot. You're just wrong. Base stats, eye test, analytics will all tell you otherwise. He had a few good playoff games but that's it.

Vegas isn't moving a 1st. They're trading down 15 spots at a point In The draft where pick value is roughly equal. Nice to see you've been keeping up with that...

No chance Lundell makes it past all of Buffalo, Minnesota, and Winnipeg. A 2-way center that can jump into the NHL this season is not going to drop. Askarov is very hard to pin down but I can't see him falling past either of Edmonton or Carolina. Don't use Mackenzie's list, he did minimal research and just took a other peoples lists and took the average, Jarvis is a dynamic forward that can play all 3 positions, Quinn has a higher chance of falling than him IMO, but like I said he could be available at 15th but I don't think he should.

Flames trade is simple, Calgary just isn't interested in doing that swap at all. No matter how many times you say Kerfoot is better it really doesn't matter.

I'm aware they are trading down but the cost to trade down while retaining 3.5M is more like a 2nd to a 3rd, not a 1st to a 2nd. The concept is fine the judgement in value is off though. I don't even know if that's correct. The most recent example was the Mike Smith trade 2 years ago. Flower at 3.5M is a steal that any team would take and he definitely should not cost a first to move if they are retaining that much doe 2 years.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 7:18 a.m.
retired
dubas went too far in the other direction.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 7:35 a.m.
To those who didn't watch any west coast hockey Fleury is still good enough to be be the starter in Vegas but Lehner is better. It's like saying Markstrom is garbage because Vancouver is moving on from him. Lehner's numbers were better than Freddie's.

Fleury is still a starter on half to a third of the teams in the NHL. If Vegas is retaining 3.5 a team is paying them. No retained I could see them doing your first to second. If you want cap retained go through Detroit or the Sens
Sep. 24, 2020 at 7:38 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Redguard191
To those who didn't watch any west coast hockey Fleury is still good enough to be be the starter in Vegas but Lehner is better. It's like saying Markstrom is garbage because Vancouver is moving on from him. Lehner's numbers were better than Freddie's.

Fleury is still a starter on half to a third of the teams in the NHL. If Vegas is retaining 3.5 a team is paying them. No retained I could see them doing your first to second. If you want cap retained go through Detroit or the Sens

Your eye test is bad. Fleury was horrible this year, literally one of the worst in hockey. He is the reason Gallant was fired.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 7:46 a.m.
Your eye test is bad. Fleury was horrible this year, literally one of the worst in hockey. He is the reason Gallant was fired.

I watched them lose to Detroit and Buffalo live. Gallant and the rest of the team playing like **** was a part of him getting fired. Fleury had a. 905 and played 49 games of a shortened season. I wouldn't call him one of the worst.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:31 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: GrinReaper
Aren’t the leafs looking for a upgrade over Freddy not down grading to the Flower
Can’t win with 33 mil tied up in 3 guys how do you win with 42mil tied up in 4 guys.

They currently have $40,489,366 tied up in 4 guys without Pietrangelo.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:35 a.m.
torontos finest
Not sure I trust a right side of Piet, Lilj and Lehtonen.

Quoting: MisstheWhalers
They currently have $40,489,366 tied up in 4 guys without Pietrangelo.

thanks. no one has ever pointed this out.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
VGKNation702
Vgk isn’t retaining half of his salary AND sending out a 1st. A third team will likely get involved. I see VGK sending out a 2021 2nd or 3rd to move him to ANA/DET/OTT then from there Fleury goes to COL/PIT/TOR
Sep. 24, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.
NSH declines. Not interested in either player, and not at that price.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 6:10 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
@SammyT_51 , How is my drafting here?

I like it!
Random2152 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll